Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Cat of Nine Tails is the boss item I'm never happy to see. Box blows it out of the water.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

Because racing other people is the only way I play this game and resetting for a decent item makes you more likely to win.

Teach me to go fast.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

You can also try to get real mapping from a shop, but the pool of shop items is so big now that this is very inconsistent. Mapping is huge though so if you see a map or compass early, do whatever it takes to buy it, clearing the whole floor if necessary.

That's one thing I've noticed between watching WoTL and Rebirth racing. In WoTL it seemed like mapping was almost necessary to win. In many of the Rebirth races I've seen mapping seems to be much less important. Granted I haven't seen that many races, as you're one of the few still up during my time slot. And all the other big streamers are just doing deathless or breaking runs.

I will have to start going fast and seeing what I can do. It does seem like a lot of fun.

cryptoclastic fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 16, 2014

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

So which of those are required for Platinum God, and not Real Platinum God?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Wouldn't it probably just be quicker to reroll items until you get pyro or something at that point?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
It took me a loooong time to ever become Guppy in the first game. As you get better over time you'll start getting more devil rooms, and then it just starts happening. I become guppy all the time in Rebirth now. It'll come eventually. And it will be awesome, and cute!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Atomicated posted:

So I'm closer to Plat god that I ever would have expected. I need to pick up the noose and a couple of God room items. Basically the strat is to play isaac with the D6 and try to get item beggars in those rooms and to not take damage/not accept devil deals to try to get the god rooms right? Do I have a chance of getting those items in The Chest?

Any chests opened in The Chest secret room will also pull from the secret room item pool as well. So you could get a Wheel of Fortune card or six in there and go to town.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Maide posted:

Picking up Mom's Eye while I had Ipecac was not the brightest idea that run.

I had a breaking run end the other day because I picked up Ipecac when I already had shielded tears. I just wanted to be able to heal myself with pyro :cry:

I should probably wait to do one until I do The Lost anyway. Does unlocking him with 3/4 seeded runs still work under the latest patch?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
One is your secret room and one is the super secret. Always two secret rooms per floor.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
If the beams start top left, you want to hug the top right corner, and vice versa. If you get there in time you won't get hit.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
ProblemsIRL is a bit annoying at times, in that he gets really pissy or whiny over little things, especially his chat. For the most part he knows his stuff really well, and somehow holds pretty much every go-fast record in Rebirth.

Cobalt is a bit annoying. I used to like Dick Hammer a lot, but he's gotten stale. I usually watch DTPhase a lot, or our boy hyphenated when he's up late chugging milk.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

TheModernAmerican posted:

After taking a sorta-break from Isaac (after having 2-3 weeks of progress lost through steam cloud bullshit), I've come back and finally gotten the God combo of fanny pack, piggy bank, sharp plug, wafer, and D20. I also found the monster manual in the chest and pressed space for fifteen minutes to get bandage girl and meat boy.

My habit of resetting way too early means I only have 68 official deaths. Guess I'll grind Judas?

Unlock the lost. Those deaths will come easily.

Is that an app of some sort you used to show you what you were missing? If so, would you mind sharing it? I don't think I have much left, but it would be nice to know exactly what I need.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
They don't have to start to with pyromaniac, either. Scapular is a great start for a breaking run too. Then just let the pieces come together, and hope for that sharp plug or habit in the shop. Once you get one, you can get the other. I think you'd need a wafer for the scapular sharp plug setup though. At that point, just roll whatever the hell you want until you get what you want, and it happens!

There's a guy on twitch called DTPhase that does a few breaking runs and just gets ridiculous things going. Sometimes they're fun to watch, but setting them up is pretty boring.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Cobalt60 posted:

Wait what.

How is having something that makes you immune to explosive shots also used to reroll items??

Well you need explosive shots as well. So ipecac or a fetus item. With sharp plug, plug yourself to get a reroll and then heal yourself with your shots.

Does habit work if you shoot yourself with ipecac/pyro combinations? I've never had it to test.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
The worst challenge for a while for me was the hairball challenge because I couldn't get any familiars or anything for a long time. And swinging that drat hairball around was annoying.

Solar System was really hard for me, but I enjoyed it and kept trying it till I got it. I think that one is actually a really good challenge too, because it makes you practice using your orbitals for damage. I used to always be afraid to get my Meat Cube up in bosses faces, but I do it a lot now. I still get hit sometimes, but it is worth it!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

IMJack posted:

For some reason, I have Sad Bombs and Sacred Heart, but not Bobby-Bomb, yet my bombs are moving towards monsters as if I had Bobby-Bomb. I'm not complaining, most of my offensive power this run is coming from my bombs, but I've not seen anything in the wikis about a synergy like this.

SH6E
B3XY

Sacred Heart comes pretty late in an Angel Room. There's a Lost Contact in a secret room early on. I skipped Eve's Mascara because my RoF is bad enough and all my shots cancel against enemy shots which really slows poo poo down.

Edit: Found a Holy Mantle! This Lost run just got a lot easier.

I guess because Sad Bombs use your tears they were homing like the Sacred Heart shots? Pretty neat.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Xeras posted:

Speaking of playing Isaac for speed Balls of Steel is starting this Friday.

Everyone cheer for Hyphen!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Nighthand posted:

Got monster manual on floor 2 as isaac; proceeded to not get a reroll setup for the entire rest of the game.

Too early for that. I would hope to get the manual in the chest or somewhere AFTER I got my reroll setup.

Manual is easy to get if you've got the infinite rerolls set up. Getting the setup is the harder part.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
You have to roll BEFORE leaving the room, though. If you leave the room and then come back and roll it will pull from the boss pool.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I thought Brimstone was always special in WoTL? I remember seeing it listed as such on Platinum God at one point. Was that just misinformation?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

omeg posted:

Also :siren: this is the final weekend of Balls of Steel racing tournament :siren:
So if you like that kind of stuff or are curious, tune in on Twitch. They said NL will be racing his buddy as a bonus later :allears:

Times have been starting too early for me to catch more than the last half these days. I hope to wake up around 9am my time (8pm eastern) and see Hyphen still going. Good luck tomorrow!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

Well I got 3rd in Balls of Steel; that was pretty fun.

So out of the three isaac BoS tournaments, I got:
1st place in the 1st one
2nd place in the 2nd one
3rd place in the 3rd one
sweet.

I caught the end. Good job. I remember you saying Probs would be your toughest competitor and that was the case. Hopefully the next tournament you can jump back up to first again!

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Gromit posted:

Strangely, the last item I needed for RPG was the Challenge Belt. I saw it loads of times, but thought I'd already picked it up and never bothered with it for some reason.

Should always be picking that one up! +1 damage for 15 cents is totally worth it.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

IronicDongz posted:

4. don't play as the lost just download a save file instead

I cheated the lost. I wish I had done this instead.

I think for Afterbirth I'll play a bit, then just download a save file and gently caress unlocks. I've got like 100+ hours in the game right now and have never seen a Godhead yet, which is dumb.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
I have no time to play games these days due to grad school, so I had enough wallet funds from selling cards over the past year to preorder it instantly. Steam should release it at 10am PST, I think? So that'll be around 1am Saturday morning my time. Might take a break from studying that weekend and just nerd out.

Semi-excited I guess.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

BlackFrost posted:

Did Edmund McMillen and Danny Baranowsky get into a fight or something?

Pretty much. Not exactly clear what over, but they haven't worked together for a few years.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

ImpAtom posted:

Bleh. I am seriously tempted to buy the PC version to play Afterbirth but I don't really want to re-unlock everything prior to Afterbirth again.

You can just download the save file online. I did that after I couldn't be assed to put together a breaking run for meat boy.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Finally able to play tonight! I see that Azazel was broken recently, is this still the case? I want to unlock Lilith, but is it going to be a pain in the current state of the game?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Zo posted:

oh hey, funny catching you here, ha, ha , ha

the answer is no, greed mode is still easily broken at the drop of a hat and ultra greed is almost harmless in the first place

Seems we share similar tastes!

I'll give that a try next, then. Had an awesome Eden run a minute ago with Godhead and all sorts of stuff, but it ended at the hush cause I had to give him a go. It was my first try so no cathedral light or trap door opened after. Oh well.

For now, there are some challenge dungeons calling me.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Zo posted:

This gets a lot harder with two of him. Multiple bloats is my personal nightmare scenario. Even multiple adversaries or stains can be mostly dodged with good awareness. Bloats will instantly snipe you from offscreen.

Anything that shoots straight lasers tends to gently caress me. I can deal with Adversary pretty well, but Monstro II and Bloat will just destroy me. Krampus as well. The new little vagina-men that shoot in a 4 way also have been wrecking me because I've only had time for a handful of Afterbirth runs.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
But Rebirth came out one year ago, which is when the card came into being.

Edit: damnit.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Hyphen, I've seen talk of a tournament but I don't know the details. What/when is it? Which twitch channel should I follow? Also, good luck, please win.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Hyphen-ated posted:

i'll be practicing this ruleset a lot in the next two weeks. if you want to watch me do that, my stream is https://twitch.tv/hyphen_ated

thanks!

Thanks for the info! Hopefully you'll kick some rear end. I always try to stop in and watch when I can but have been busy. And you've been keeping more sane sleeping hours I think. I only get to watch your middle of the night stuff from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Bumbo is a total bro. And he's cute. Don't hate on Bumbo.