Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rhonne posted:

Deku's also probably going to have to spill the beans on One For All to at least a few more people after this now that they know Shigaraki is targeting him.

Or everyone who would be told dies in this (maybe) final conflict

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rhonne posted:

It would be a funny bit of dark irony if Deku ended up being one of the few people who didn't lose an arm by the end of all this.

Ah yes, this is how he becomes the number one hero

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-361/chapter/25049?action=read
https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1013466

Next thing you know Tomura will be saying he actually has a super hot girlfriend, but you've never met her because she goes to a different school.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWnD1YBPhNU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Azubah posted:

Because if you have a tragic backstory its okay, it's totally not your fault you decided to be a murdering rear end in a top hat.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I still find it weird how Twitter and Tumblr are so forgiving of the character who is a remorseless serial killer.

Shinjobi posted:

He's a dumb failson, an extreme accomplishment considering how much of a failure his dad is

Of course he's beloved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYIlET3szA

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I like the final lines they gave Bakugo, but I also do not feel sad, and I do not like this allusion to "it's a terrible day for rain". If anything, I hope Bakugo does not get resurrected or whatever; that would ruin the final sendoff.

Electric Phantasm posted:

This is why you don't listen to those people that complain about plot armor or whatever. A major character is going to die and it feels so empty.

"Empty" in the sense that you feel indifferent or "empty" in you feeling worse? If the former, that's the fault of the author. On the latter, that's a great success.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

I don't really get how Dabi apparently has such a bad constitution that his flames destroy his body, but he also has a good enough constitution to do things like imitate Phosphor.

Obviously he roll a nat 20 on a constitution save.

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Am I supposed to know who that is in the last panel this week?

That is All for One

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Flair posted:

. If anything, I hope Bakugo does not get resurrected or whatever; that would ruin the final sendoff.

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

So ballistic missiles have no effect on Shigaraki, but Bakugo's explosions are his weakness. :psyduck:

Obviously unlike the ballistic missiles and zoo cannon, Bakugo's explosions are infused with the power of god and anime.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Uh wow yeah do not Google this. It is extremely loving gross. Apparently it is legit.

Edit: to a lot people wondering, it is the character naked except for strips of tape.

I read this on the official app. I did not google it. I did not want to google it. SO WTF!!!

For whatever redeeming qualities MHA still has, :wtf: that cover art is trying to overwrite those qualities.

Flair fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Oct 3, 2022

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I feel like all the posts trying to drill down exact numbers to figure out just how underage the kid is are really missing the point. Forest for the trees kind of deal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGxCMyLm6js

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Valentin posted:

okay it's very funny to have deku detail meticulously how he's comboing his quirks and then have the second be like "so you see all for one it was never about the meta abilities themselves, it's about why people use them." I get the intent but those probably should have been not on the literal same page.

It is also very funny given that Deku is overpowering AFO who cannot use his quirks at the moment.

Fabricated posted:

The idea is that the super powerful combination only exists because these people willingly passed them on to others

Idea noted even though a character exists who could also use the super powerful combination if he stole it.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The people with mutant quirks being mistreated seems to lack a lot of buildup to other topics that have culminated during this war (e.g. domestic violence, ambivalent relationships, etc.) Then the speaker also ends it off with saying that mutants in the city are treated well, but they want to attack a hospital in a big city because they are mistreated well in non-urban areas. With Mezo's comment, I understand that their plan is not supposed to make sense for their cause, but it comes off as weird given our real world and that in fiction, "cities have solved this issue."

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Shoji could have been developed sooner; that heartfelt moment happening as a flashback rather than as a present scene is robbing of its potential. It's also unfortunate that mutants in Class B is not even here for an extra perspective on the state of things.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kanos posted:

I can understand why someone would have expected Aoyama to matter given that he got a few focus points, but Koda????

At this point, the mangaka is giving spotlights to all students in Class A regardless if they have been properly setup or not.

Nonetheless, looks like the spotlight will now shift from Koji to Kurogiri.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The mangaka is reusing the trope of the good guys almost prevented the bad guys from accomplishing a significant thing.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Kanos posted:

It's still super weird that this was the big secret "we can't talk about this and you're not allowed to use this until the absolute last moment of necessity" quirk.

When the mangaka wrote in that Deku would wield multiple quirks, I think he realized how overpowered that would be for the story, so he limited the scope of his new quirks. Even All for One had mostly relatively straightforward quirks that were escape buttons or increase power.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Valentin posted:

also absolutely wild choice to remind me mushroom girl exists unless you're about to let her completely no-sell sad man's parade. like just shuffle her offscreen quietly, it's not like she needs a cameo

At this point, no one in Class B is getting the spotlight except for Monoma.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

bobjr posted:

Maybe Sound Effect guy has a secret weapon for AFO.

Yes, he will yell "Fus Ro Dah" and yeet AFO into outer space.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheHan posted:

Hawks: Endeavor-san! We need you to beat the poo poo outta your kids like never before!

Endeavor: I thought you'd never ask :ssj:

Endeavor: I am sorry for my history of domestic abuse and for beating my kids. Now I can beat my kids for the right reasons! :ssj:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So either Shigaraki is leaving or is going to overwhelm Deku. Surely, he will not go toe-to-toe with Deku now that he can use his quirks again.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Former antagonists are getting more spotlight than the majority of Class B.

Zeron posted:

If animals can have quirks, surely guns can have them too.

I don't remember this being One Piece.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SyntheticPolygon posted:

They’re more important.

Class B are largely meaningless side characters outside of like 3 dudes why would you expect them to show up in a big way?

I expect some of Class B to show up more, not necessarily in a big way, because we got a big arc introducing all of Class B.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SpacePig posted:

This series has far too many characters as it is. Please show fewer characters.

There is an easy solution to this. It is a war; instead of just maiming the main characters, more characters could die.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

bring in everyone, including characters who are dead or are already present.

Let's not forget, time for the retired heroes to come back as reinforcement because their sense of justice has been rekindled or something.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The fight and the arc has gone on for a while, so if someone can help clarify, I would appreciate it. Wasn't the point of tomb supposed to be a safeguard to prevent Shimura from decaying the Earth? So if Deku brings Shimura back onto Earth now that he has his quirks back, isn't the Earth at jeopardy?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

SKULL.GIF posted:

Deku has Black Whip on both of Shigaraki's wrists preventing him from touching the ground as long as Deku is alive/conscious/ambulatory.

That's true, but if Deku dies/faints, wouldn't the heroes perform that Shigaraki touches the Tomb instead of the Earth?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

Mineta is more tolerable than half the characters in this series at this point

The saving grace of this arc so far is that I barely see him at all with all these reoccurring characters coming out of the woodwork.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Delphisage posted:

"Shooting a huge energy blast" continues to be incredibly boring.

The interesting tidbit is that in the All for One vs. All Might, it was alluded that All for One had some HunterxHunter combination of quirks in their fight that occurs before the manga starts, but even with Eri's quirk, we are still just seeing energy blasts and dark lightning.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Delphisage posted:

Except you can do it on up to 50 people. And it lets you know their names and weaknesses.

That could explain why when Shigaraki used it, it only really gave so many dots but no names or weaknesses.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

CharlestonJew posted:

the only part that really confuses me now is what the hell mina was talking about with her speech

Something about everyone consciously/subconsciously fearing their own weakness and that is why people form groups... I don't know about that. I think I form groups with people whom I share a common interest or are fun to engage with. I am unsure about conscious/unconscious fear of my own "weakness".

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I don't quite get is happening with Gigantomachia. Because of Shinso's brainwashing, he actually resisted and/or get out of the manipulation, but he got Persona 5'ed into seeing that he wants to take out his anger on the one who left him(?)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have to ask, what countermeasure do any of the villains currently have to being high- five’d by Ochako and being punted to space Kars style by Deku

They don't want to kill(?) unless that hero is named Hawks.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

I really hate it when a character is going to do a big thing, gets distracted by the smallest thing, and then doesn't. His excuse of "every second counts" falls pretty flat when he also goes out of his way to mug to the camera.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WeNeedADistraction
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DefiantStoneThrow

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
This chapter is actually good, and it is because it is fleshing out a long established narrative point.

I was worried that All Might somehow acquired the same drug as All for One, but I like the approach to keep him quirkless.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Electric Phantasm posted:

I assume he has a quirk that freely changes his blood type.

I believe we call that leukemia

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I dislike this development of moving away from quirks getting stronger through hard work and/or shortcuts attained from drug use into you get an insta-power up from life-or-death situations or because the plot demands it so. At some point, UA could skip the quirk strengthening training and start tossing students into a (fake) volcano to get their quirks to quickly grow from the (fake) danger.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

This is a shonen anime. There have already been multiple instances of people getting stronger from screaming louder in do-or-die situations.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Getting a powerup from a near-death situation requires that you actually survive the near-death situation, which you probably won't be able to do without training in the first place. And I doubt faking it would really work.

Kanos posted:

This is basically what has been happening to Class A(and to a lesser extent Class B) since the very beginning of the series. It's the entire reason why they're all capable of fighting alongside pro heroes instead of cowering in a bomb shelter with the other actual children.

AtomikKrab posted:

I mean... Dabi has been doing "hard work" Literally pushing his quirk and his body to the absolutely limit and beyond to the point that its killing him, like the life or death situation is him overworking his quirk to his own destruction, not just being chucked into something.

My suspension of disbelief with most characters in this manga in previous instances is that they were heroes/villains who have gained experience and/or gone through hardship (and some of it we get to see) to hone their abilities. There are a lot of impromptu powerups in this current arc, but now we are getting a civilian into the mix because of reasons.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

oh jay posted:

I agree but this is a different complaint to the one your originally posted.

And I would be surprised if Rei is at all useful from a superpower standpoint, rather than a talk no jutsu standpoint.

In my original post, I should have clarified all of what I was implying:

- if quirks can get so strong from Awakenings and/or life-or-death that it even applies to civilians, UA should incorporate a process to artificially induce it into their students. Even Geten got awakened simply because Yotsubashi burned himself.
- my suspension of disbelief with most of the characters even getting an impromptu powerup in this current arc is because of life-or-death situations blooming what they have been training all of this time. I can understand that, this being the last arc, the mangaka is showing off "growth" in a short period of time (though this has its own issues), but if Rei can get it as well, it somewhat undercuts the process. If it does end up being "talk no jutsu", that's fine because the story has set up Rei confronting her past and talking with her family, not showing off how she has been training her quirk.

Inflammatory posted:

i mean it's the same basic concept as an adrenaline rush in a life or death situation, which makes sense just fine with quirks being a biological thing

But in real life, the strength you get from adrenaline rushes from life or death is not permanent. If the strength was permanent like in MHA, bodybuilders would have a different routine from just going to the gym.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
As long as the rest of family does not gain considerable power, I am fine with most resolutions to this conflict at this point except if Dabi somehow survives and/or has a change of heart. At this point, I don't even mind that the family is somehow tolerating an exploding sun that has already incinerated fire-based heroes.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Poops Mcgoots posted:

It looks like Todoroki basically made a fighter jet airframe for Iida to make him more aerodynamic(?) and cool him off, and the speed that Iida is going at is tearing the Ingenium armor off Todoroki.

I believe the jet airframe is nondiegetic. While Ida is going super fast, Shoto is prepping his phosphor, so they are leaving a contrail like an actual jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Rhonne posted:

It's going to be funny when they arrive, and Shoto gives his big speech about family to Dabi, and Iida is just kind of awkwardly along for the ride.

"I uhh, don't really know you that well, and to be honest, you seem like an extremely unpleasant person, but Shoto is my friend, so you should uhh, listen to him I guess."

I imagine Tenya is there to bring up his brother Tensei at some point to contrast Shoto's relationship with his brother Toya.