Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm quite excited. The only sad thing is that the game comes out three days later in Europe than in the USA for some reason. But at least I will be warned if the game unexpectedly turns out to be poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

I'm a librarian, and worked at a public library for about a year. Paperback romances written by and for middle-aged women were some of the most popular and commonly checked-out books. Especially the [male] gay romances, which invariably feature two or more bare-chested studmuffins on the front cover.

Computer games are finally catching up to books.

These books inspired one of the best tumblr sites: http://wtfbadromancecovers.tumblr.com/

It's exactly what it says on the tin, with witty commentary to the worst covers in romance literature.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Xoidanor posted:

Sure seems so, this isn't where I imagined we would end up either.

Pessimists are a sad people.

I will still be cautious and let other goons test it before I decide if it's worth buying when it's released here in Europe.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I haven't had time to play more than an hour of the game yet (I needed to finish Words of Radiance), and most of that time has been spent making Inquisitors. How are the characters? Are they as bad as some of the promotional materials made them sound? Like Dorian with the "look dashing" quote?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

hobbesmaster posted:

The engine transition made a lot of people and clothes look different.

For example (act 2, after a party) Morrigan has to wear a bra with her Origins outfit now. Hmm, do we have to spoiler that Morrigan is in the game?

Considering that the very first promotional video for Inquisition featured Morrigan quite prominently I don't think it has to be spoiled that she is in the game.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm at 36 hours played, and the game is such an improvement over DA2. I especially like the characters, with the exception of Sera. Cassandra is basically a D&D paladin done right, she reminds me a bit of Keldorn from BG2. Iron Bull is my bro. Varric was one of my default party members in DA2 and is still great. I thought I would hate Cole, but he is actually a genuinely adorable... person. Vivienne is an awesome character, she has class. Solas is the freedom loving apostate who is always courteous. Dorian is fabulous, but I actually don't mind it at all. And I like sarcastic characters in general, so it all works out. Blackwall seems stoic and dependable, but I'm taking him on the Grey Warden quests I'm currently doing and there is definitely something fishy going on.

My character is a goody two-shoes mage, and most of the time I take out Team Good, namely Cassandra, Cole and Solas. They have some adorable banter with each other, and going around the zones and doing good with them makes me really fuzzy inside :3:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VostokProgram posted:

Has anyone bought the PC version on disc? Can you actually install from the disc, or does it just redirect you to Origin? If I can do the initial install from disc that'll be a lot faster than downloading the game for me.

edit: Also, does the standard edition box come with anything noteworthy at all?

I did and you can. Though I'm in Germany, I don't know if it's different in other countries. There are 4 discs if you are curious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Rabbit Hill posted:

That's....pretty hot.

What is going on in this one?

He's kissing...something (a sword hilt?)...and is bound up in a leather necklace? What?

I was surprised by that Blackwall card as well. The card for Iron Bull seems to allude to BDSM?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Skippy McPants posted:

This line will never not be funny.

One of my big regrets from DA:I was that, due to the PC's ignorance of his true nature, you never got the chance to give Solas the verbal smack-down he so richly deserves. Here's hoping for the DLC/Sequel.

It's beards all the way down.

After all that went down in the endgame of Inquisition, can there be any doubt that we will see Solas again? Probably as one of the main figures in the next full DA game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wasabi the J posted:

This. Everyone's convinced you're gonna owe your life to a god, but my skeptic Inquis was like "Psh, it's probably a mistranslation of some dumb bullshit anyways, chug-a-lug bitches!" and then nothing loving happens and the god you owe your life to gets owned by Solas anyway.

I don't know if being enslaved by Solas is much better than being enslaved by Mythal/Flemeth.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Glorious.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Combat in Origins was even worse than DA2, though they were both bad. But there's no denying that DA:O was the better game overall. It's just that I can't go back to play either of them, while I still occasionally play Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate.

Best romance is obviously Dorian, followed by Cassandra and Blackwall.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Da:O had better combat than any role-playing game I know. Maybe you were too hotrodded for it.

Not old enough to have played the Bioware Dungeon & Dragons classics? Origin was basically Infinity Engine combat but worse, which I have never understood. Bioware did it right in Baldur's Gate, and I was really pumped to have that kind of more deliberate combat again after nothing but Diablo 2 action RPGs, but they hosed it up and made the combat in Origins horrible.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't get the reference either.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lord Lambeth posted:

Witcher 3 sure has made this game look incredibly lazy in every way huh.

Why? I don't play the Witcher games so this is a honest question.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sounds like the Witcher 3 is a really good game then.

But I wonder how many people simply don't care about games like it because it's not a party based game? I loved the old Infinity Engine games, they are still some of the best RPGs ever made. I simply have no interest in single character RPGs any more. I didn't even buy the third Diablo game. The only other role-playing game besides DA:I and ME:3 that I bought in the last few years was Pillars of Eternity, which is very different but just as good as the Bioware games (probably a bad sign for Bioware, considering the vastly smaller resources Obsidian had). No matter how much better the quests or the story of the Witcher 3 may be, I'm just not interested in playing it. Even apart from the obvious disadvantage of not having played the two previous games.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What bugs me about sex in Bioware games is that it's treated as the absolute apex of the romance and after sex, that's it, relationship 100% secured. I know it's to pander to lonely virgin nerds but real life romances just don't work that way.

Can you have sex with Solas if you romance him?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Doesn't your fantasy bf Solas demand the same thing by removing the Inquisitor's Dalish tattoos, and renouncing Dalish culture?

I thought he only offers you to remove those tattoos, and only if you ask him about that?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wait how is he racist

Ask him about the Qunari.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Wow, I guess I finally have to spend money on Inquisition beyond buying the base game. I love underground sections in RPGs, and these are some awesome visuals. I hope to meet some cool dwarfs and have cool battles. The boss fight in the Deep Roads in Dragon Age 2 was by far the best part of the game. If they can do something as good again, I will forgive them for the boring endboss fight in Inquisition.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Wasabi the J posted:

I've found that unless your fruit damage boost is insanely low, fruit chance is almost always better, as you get more opportunity to hit harder, not hitting harder with low chances.

That's an amazing instance of autocorrect.

But I agree, crit damage increase needs a certain amount of crit change to really be worth it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Shugojin posted:

On the other hand it did give me the power to make that one shithead minor villain tranquil so

Judging a certain grand duchess, whether dead or alive, will always remain one of the high points of this game.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 23, 2015

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

snergle posted:

Since I won't be replaying it for a long time can you throw the hints up in the spoilers? Maybe its something I missed or I took his dialogue to literal / truthful.

i love that solas killed flemeth not 5 minutes after her I WILL GIVE THE WORLD THE RECKONING IT DESERVES FOR MYTHAL speech completly subverting the next sequels set up big bad

It's actually not clear at all what happens in that particular scene.

As for hints, many are relatively obscure. The most instructive are follower conversations with Cole. "They sleep, masked in a mirror, hurting, and to wake them...GASP!" From Dalish lore, we "know" that Fen'harel tricked the other elven gods to seal themselves away. If you listen to the companion dialogue with Cole and Solas, you will hear a lot more such hints.

Also, Leliana mentions that her agents have found the village that Solas supposedly grew up, only to find it was abandoned centuries ago.

And he wears this wolf jawbone necklace. Additionally, he paints wolves on the walls of his room in Skyhold.

There's also Solas' personal mission, “All New, Faded for Her”, which is actually an anagram of "Fen'harel, Dread Wolf".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

I barely understand Spanish, from what I gathered it looks pretty drat cool. Any word on a release date?

Crossing my fingers it comes out on all platforms at the same time :ohdear:

September 8th, if I understand the video correctly.

That was an awesome trailer, and this will probably be the first DLC that I will buy for Inquisition. More Qunari! More Thedas politics! More Solas!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BrianWilly posted:

Here's a pretty great interview that details some tidbits about what we can expect from this. It seems that there's a much bigger focus on followers.

But here is the absolute most important part of the entire interview and DLC.
:anime: It's...it's so beautiful.

All of this sounds amazing. A time skip and now Thedas reacts to the Inquisition still being around? A focus on your character members like in the CItadel DLC? Different outfits in Skyhold? Syncing recipes across characters? A sentence that could be read as the DLC featuring a new stronghold? Solas making an appearance but not being the main focus of the DLC, (so he will probably be a factor in DA 4)? The Qunari invading Thedas?

This can't come out soon enough. But wait, it comes out in less than two weeks! This is all extremely great, Bioware are scoring big points with me.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
gently caress, I just realize that I sacrificed the chargers in my main playthrough as well :(

Do you think we get any new companions? I think I understand why they brought up Cassandra as the Divine joining you, because it would otherwise look pretty grim on the warrior front. Blackwall may be unavailable, and depending on how the story with Bull plays out, Cassandra might be the only warrior left.

Likewise with the mages: Don't recruit Vivienne, punch Dorian, and Solas leaves on his own after the main quest. You could run around with only Cassandra, Varric and your own character, who may even be a rogue himself!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Plus if they do something like they did with Vega and make Varric a DLC-only romance...

You mean the Inquisitor basically raping Varric ordering Varric to have sex with her? I can live without that feature in Dragon Age, thanks.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

I was just doing Wicked Hearts again on another character, and I wanted to check something: Blackwall disapproves if you let Celene die but approves if you leave Gaspard in charge. There's really no way to arrange one without the other, right? Can't quite be sure I'm not missing something, but I'm pretty sure Gaspard has no chance so long as Celene lives.

That's correct. However, all three can share the power, which the ending reveals to be a bad idea

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

Not go mention, Blackwall is more or less invincible himself. They'd be just chipping away at each other for eternity.

Spirit Blade wrecks/wrecked guard though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

HIJK posted:

i'm going to go ahead and assume Solas is a massive douchebag in this DLC.

So nothing's changed from the main game?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm downloading the game again to play the newest DLC, but it took an hour to get 20% downloaded through Origin :(

I should have just searched for torrents, how long can it take to download 25 gigabytes??

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I finished Trespasser and it's fantastic. It had nearly everything I wanted, and the only annoying thing was the Harlequin Hunt.

One thing I have to give Bioware credit for is that I've never before enjoyed the credits of any game this much. Warcraft 2 was cool, but Trespasser blows it out of the water. It helps that Cassandra is so incredibly adorable. She's easily my second favorite Dragon Age character, right behind Varric.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
So, considering what happens in The Descent, will we be able to play dwarf mages in DA4?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

Yeah, I like the Venatori mage that has the flaming backslide move for one, even though I hate fighting them, because it's a different tact, and the spellbinders are cool with the floating book that they pull spells out of. Having a different weapon type and skills that accentuate it to differentiate your classes would go a long way--there's a big difference between dagger and bow rogues, obviously. A standard staff mage (bring back the clubbing/cutting animations from DA2 for when they want to scrap up close) and a book mage could control completely differently if you let it--staff might be more ranged single target specialized while the book does big sweeps, similar to the elemental sword you can get in Trespasser, or the staff is focused on DPS while the book lays traps, creates walls, or abjures teammates (though maybe with something besides just barrier all the time like the Spirit tree).

It would also be cool if there was an option for minor mages. One of the things you see in DA:I is mages commenting on not being powerful enough to use real spells. There's a quest in Jaws of Hakkon about just such a guy--he has magic, but not enough to be a mage, so he fights. A class that uses magic in less overt ways while still being "magic" might be nice. Not going to happen because they're married to the holy trinity of warrior, rogue and mage, but I'd like it.

In another game, you could make a cool melee mage, who's trained as a fighter because his magic is so weak. Suppose he can only use magic through touch, and he could do cool things like electrocuting enemies when his metal sword touches their (metal) weapons.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Bobfly posted:

Is this to some extent applicable to the entire game? One of the chief complaints I've heard about the game is tedium and bloat, a feeling that you aren't getting anywhere. Can you comment? On this, or perhaps on ways to combat it. Do you not need to do much side stuff? How do you prioritize?

Inquisition was apparently planned as an MMO first, but luckily, the Star Wars MMO bombed. You can still see traces of that in the game, with the Hinterlands being one of the most egregious examples. It's present in other zones as well, but more tolerable. And yes, you can easily beat the main game easily while leaving a ton of the sidequests unfinished. So if you get tired of them, just progress the story or check out another zone. Each DLC get's less MMO-like, with Trespasser having a very linear and faced paced story.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Maiden posted:

Anders was clearly mental. Only someone broke in the head explodes the Chantry because the Templars are oppressing mages

"Evil templars are oppressing the mages, let's kill the one woman who holds back Knight-Commander Meredith, it makes total sense!"

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Lotish posted:

Possibly, though she passed the spirit that sustained her to her son's templar friend Evangeline when she was killed by the former Lord Seeker Lambert. So she's dead now. Which means when you rescue Rhys and Evangeline for Cole's war table quest, you're saving an abomination.

And Cassandra is proof that not all abominations are bad.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crow Jane posted:

I always thought they'd bring back what's his face from DA2, the Dreamer kid you have to rescue? Seemed like they put a lot of emphasis on him. But I guess he can be killed too, so never mind.

I also thought he would come back, but since Inquisition didn't take place in Tevinter, it makes sense. Since we are likely going there in DA4, we can still encounter him there. His fate was important enough to include him in the Keep at least, even though that doesn't have to mean anything.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Geostomp posted:

She could also be rebuilding the Seekers completely as far as I can tell.

She can actually do both if you take the right choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Considering that we will likely be going to Tevinter next, I'm 100% sure that Dorian will play a bigger role in DA4. But I don't think that anybody from Inquisition will return as a party member. Sera has nothing to do with Tevinter, Cole's adventuring days are probably over one way or another, the others are probably tied up in important poo poo in southern Thedas and Dorian will probably be a big and important quest giver/ally, but not a real party member.

What class would Scout Harding be? Rogue?

• Locked thread