Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Mentalizer posted:

So I've been thinking about picking up some type of handheld system so I can play video games during my commute to/from work on the subway, but since I'm really just a casual gamer I'm not too sure which one to get. I figure I'll be choosing between a PS Vita or a 3DS but if there are other choices I'd love to hear about them. I know you guys all have opinions on video games, so would anyone care to recommend one system over the other? If it matters, I'm not really one for puzzle games as my tastes lean more towards shooters and beat-em-ups and the like but I am open to pretty much anything that's cool and interesting and will occupy my time. Any recommendations or help you guys can offer before I plunk down my hard earned cash would be greatly appreciated!

The Vita is great because of its wide range of indie titles (if you PC game youve probably seen most of them by this point though) that are really fantastic and offer a huge range of genres. It also has the usual music/video/media/etc options you might want. Youre not going to find a large number of big budget titles worth playing but the indie scene is great.

The 3DS is much more limited as a general entertainment device. It will play games and I think you can run netflix I guess. But pretty much all of nintendo's games are fantastic and its got a huge library of games to play.

I'd fully recommend the 3DS over the Vita, youre not really going to find any worth-playing FPS games on either.

e: On a different subject, can anyone recommend a Nexus 5 case/wallet?

KoB has a new favorite as of 02:04 on Feb 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Recommendations for car bluetooth? Im only really looking to play music over bluetooth, Ive got USB and Aux for connectors.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

So you're looking for a device that will take the Bluetooth signal from your phone and then transmit it to your car stereo via the AUX input?

Yeah.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Jewce posted:

Thanks, I took a look at both sites and saw the pupillary distance stuff. It's for my mom and she said that she'll talk to her doc about getting it.

Thanks again to those that helped!

I know mine took the measurement but it wasnt on my prescription form. I just called in and they looked it up in their system and gave it to me.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Coca Koala posted:

I'm using a Kinivo 501BN switch, which works pretty nicely for switching between the PS3, PS4, and Wii U on my tv. It might be a bit pricier than what you're hoping for, though.

Ive got this, it works. I like it because it will auto detect which input its receiving and switch channels automatically. You can manually switch with the little remote but its always just switched correctly for me. So its as simple as just turning on the console I want, never have to switch inputs on the TV or the Switch.

KoB
May 1, 2009
http://www.zennioptical.com/

KoB
May 1, 2009
He meant in terms of color. Cool colors are blues/etc, warm colors are yellows/reds/etc

KoB
May 1, 2009
But you can adjust your thermostat from bed/couch/work.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Mushinronsha posted:

There are definitely $100 slippers, here's a good review of some of the best ones http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-slippers/

I have the halfingers, they are great.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I really like this mouse: ttp://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Marathon-3-Year-Battery/dp/B0034XRDUA

Mainly because it lasts almost a year on 2 AAs. Im looking for a wireless keyboard with similar long lasting usage. Full keyboard with numpad.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nephzinho posted:

So looks like my girlfriend and I are going to be staying in our apartment for at least another year. This place doesn't have a dishwasher and it is a pain in the dick. We are looking at some countertop/portable models to set up on our counter or under the kitchen island - does anyone have any experience with these things?

I would make sure its okay with your lease. Some dont allow them because it makes a huge loving mess if they malfunction.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mostlygray posted:

A full tray of ice and lemon slices. Pulse it until it's clean with cold water. The ice will sharpen the knives in the machine as well. Really, a handful of ice every week does a great job of keeping your disposal clean.

I also dump some vinegar down there occasionally.

KoB
May 1, 2009

colas posted:

gently caress. Well any suggestions for one < $100?
I don't need to drop $100+ on something I'll only use in the shower.

Ive got:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017JY0UTU/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But it just sits in the shower not getting actively wet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Inzombiac posted:

What's the best pitcher water filter?
I have to have extremely clean water for my pets and I've heard that Brita may not be the best bet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IK5A68I/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=SH37237

KoB
May 1, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

I am looking for some good slippers. I have need ones with rubber soles and both comfortable and durable. I killed my last "nice" pair in under a year.

Sweethome likes these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6011&th=1&psc=1

Anyone have a pair? I would love to know how they hold up.

Ive had these for a few years now and I really like them.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I live in an area that charges for bags at grocery stores, and my grocery tote bag things ive gotten for free over the years are falling apart. Any recommendations for grocery tote bag stuff?

KoB
May 1, 2009
Networking thread here says get a ARRIS/Motorola surfboard.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Brother is good I hear.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-laser-printer/

KoB
May 1, 2009

Nexus 7 is a tablet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

EricBauman posted:

What are my options? Am I looking for a product that no longer exists?

when I last checked the answer to your 2nd question was "yes", and definitely not in the N7 priceframe.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

A few years ago we got an LG bluray player because in addition to playing DVDs it also did streaming. Recently, both Hulu and Amazon have just...stopped working. My theory is that the people at LG are too lazy or busy to keep the apps working.

Anyway, would something like a roku be a better choice? All they do is streaming so maybe they wouldn't suck at it as much. Also, I really like Closed Captions, so whether it supports those or not is a big factor.

CC is probably dependent on the service rather than Roku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
Whats a good bluetooth dongle for windows? I picked up a new xbox one controller and want to use it wirelessly.