Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Now if you were a terrorist and you had a choice of 2 targets to send your particular radical message from would you target -

a.) A cafe belonging to a large confectionery chain.

b.) A national media station.

I'm going to guess these guys are in way over their heads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Whatever the outcome (hopefully peaceful) it sends a strong message to Lindt that their products should be Halal and not harem.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

cpaf posted:

Is this even a proper terrorist attack yet? It's a hostage situation with no casualties, no bombs, no demands and the only indication it isn't anything more than a poorly-thought out hostage situation is the shahada flag.

Not really, doesn't stop our media from leading the audience down that road though.

Some people don't actually need facts to allow them to cry from the rooftops all sorts of garbage.

Really the best thing to do is turn the news feed off and let it play itself out. I should follow my own advice as I've probably spent an unproductive hour this morning following the siege. The only thing different from this and many other siege situations that probably occur on a weekly basis is that yes a Shahada flag is on display and it's in Martin Place.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

T-1000 posted:

Humour can be a healthy response to horror.

I'll second this, some of us have not so nice jobs. It's a way of handling not so nice things - it doesn't mean that the welfare of individuals or the gravity of the situation has not been taken into account.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Murodese posted:

ADL member spotted.

Incidentally, my ownage old courier dude just came around to drop off some xmas presents I'd ordered and he said he'd already had a few people make racist comments.

Dude's indian :geno:

'Straya mate :australia: :eng99:

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Tommofork posted:

And now for something completely different(ly fukt)

That reminds me of this guy - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-01/indian-is-recruit-quits-after-being-told-to-clean-toilets/5932520

Went to fight for the Glory of Islam.

Fought a (dirty) war against poop and E. Coli instead.

quote:

An Indian student who travelled to Iraq to join the Islamic State (IS) group has returned home disillusioned after jihadists made him clean toilets and do other menial jobs, according to local media reports.

Areeb Majeed, 23, who left for Iraq with three friends in late May, flew home Friday to Mumbai where he was arrested and charged by India's elite National Investigation Agency (NIA) with terror-related offences.

Majeed told NIA officers he was sidelined by the jihadists for whom he fetched water and performed other lowly tasks such as cleaning toilets, instead of taking part in the deadly offensive like he wanted, the Press Trust of India news agency reported.

He phoned his family to say he wanted to come home after suffering an unexplained bullet wound for which he did not get proper medical attention, the NIA said late Sunday.

"Only after I begged them, I was taken to a hospital," he was quoted as saying by NIA officers.

"There was neither a holy war nor any of the preachings in the holy book were followed."

Tanvir Sheikh, the father of one of Majeed's friends who was still missing in Iraq, said he felt betrayed by his son.

Mr Sheikh said his son Fahad was offered a job in Kuwait but instead decided to travel to Iraq to join the extremists.

"He had got a job offer from Kuwait with a salary of three lakh rupees ($4,800) but he ignored that and instead took up arms. Now what happens to his future?" Mr Sheikh told the Indian Express newspaper on Monday.

"I feel let down by my son. He had a bright career ahead of him but he took advantage of our love and betrayed us."

India's moderate population of 150 million Muslims have traditionally not been drawn into sectarian conflicts in the Middle East and elsewhere, but the case of the four raised concerns about online recruitment.

Radicalised foreigners have been drawn to the IS group, which has conducted a series of mass executions and other atrocities since launching its offensive in Iraq and Syria in June.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

These two guys are just gonna end up being late teenage/early twenties no hopers who follow the ISIS facebook page, were considered too stupid to take by ISIS recruiters and wanted to do their part anyway, right?

I thought it was a lone gunman and from the grainy pictures I'm seeing of him - he looks more like a grizzled middle aged biker then the traditional jihadist I'm used to seeing in the media.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

The Welfare Lobby posted:

Here's another dose of social media idiocy doing the rounds today.

Never mind that it's the 15th of December.

Hahaha someone actually told me that story the other day, but changed it too something like "oh my besties mother's cousin found a wallet the other day ..etc etc"

I laughed at them and told them it was a dumb story and she got all offended - okay it was my wife and she didn't talk to me for the rest of the day.

Feel pretty vindicated now if it's part of a dumb social media 'thing' doing the rounds.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Rapner posted:

I just checked and they actually aren't Halal certified.

How bad a day is this guy having? He takes a chocolate shop hostage, has the wrong flag, a bunch of the hostages just escape and you can't even eat any of the chocolate yourself.

Maybe it's actually a test of faith?

I mean I'm pretty sure I couldn't go an 18hr siege without having just of those loving delicious chocolate Lindt balls I get every Christmas. They are just so moreish.

But then again I'm not a religious fundamentalist either.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why would chocolate even need to be halal certified? There's no meat in chocolate, nor is there any haram ingredients.

Google Chocolate and Halal with 1.4 million hits it's an issue for Muslims apparently.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Joe Hockeys Scrote posted:

my money is on gently caress-up twenty year old loner with no connections to any extremist groups who probably would have done something like this anyway, but ISIS gives him a good excuse

I'm leaning towards Peter Hore discovers Islam.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Anidav posted:

What the gently caress is running on the 7:30 report right now? footage of ISIS militants with horror music background. Did ACA hijack ABC's production team? Holy poo poo this is so unlike ABC.

Yeah 4Corners and ACA merged.

Blame the budget cuts.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

Muslim Press Release

The Black Flag is kinda ominous. At least to non-Islamic types.

I mean the only Black Flag ever flown by Westerners was the Jolly Roger which is pretty much etched into Anglo-Saxon racial memory as being a symbol of unpleasantness.

Someone should politely show the relevant Muslim authority the Mitchell and Webb - "Are we the Baddies?" skit, making the flag not as 'scary' might help with the PR.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Wondering why a dude who has a long list of rather serious charges against him is able to get bail.

Apparently accessory to murder and a number of sexual assault charges are not enough to keep one imprisoned.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Anidav posted:

EDIT:
Tony Abbott: "This has been the most difficult 24 hours in Sydney's history"

One of my work colleagues was a first responder to the Strathfield massacre.

I doubt he'd share that view. Abbott making statements like this shows what a dunce he is.

edit: not trying to compare a history of worst's/or most difficult's. Just call it a lovely day and be done with it.

Neif fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 16, 2014

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Anidav posted:

There's no doubt it's in motion but I think there will be atleast another wave of Australian innovators before the Coalition destroys it and sends them all the the mines.

That ship has sailed for now, despite Abbott believing coal will continue to light the way for the Australian economy for the decades to come - it will and it won't, mining runs in cycles and we haven't seen the end of this trough and probably won't for a few years, barring some unforeseen external event (GFC style China building mass infrastructure projects to stimulate growth etc).

Investment in mining continues to dwindle as we are in the production phase as the various mining companies in both iron ore and coal aim to produce record tonnages, at the lowest possible cost and whichever companies are left standing at the end of the current round of lovely commodity prices "win" until the next cycle of investment starts and we do it all again.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Cartoon posted:

OK here's a few realities.

There are vastly fewer venues hiring vastly fewer bands, generally for massively lower fees (Pay for shows {Ala the US} are even on the rise). Drink driving enforcement, Noise enforcement, Security (RSA) requirements, and a rise in home based entertainment all sapped the audience.

The trend for some councils going to late night lock outs isn't going to help either.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Jumpingmanjim posted:

Does anyone know anything about this, or has heard anything like it?

The only thing that rings a bell was this a few months ago and is not really related to the Jet Care story.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ebd4ccdade5c36c

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

Adnar posted:

The ADL page is a gas at the moment.. old mate has started posting angsty poetry.

Though I came across this genius solution for boycotting mussos:

GENIUS

edit: haha, footage of their last heroic trip to Lakemba... FMD https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNG4rUaxniM

I thought initially someone had lampooned the video by adding the soul stirring "Frodo goes to Mordor" music, but nope it's on the official ADL you tube page.

That's loving hilarious.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

IslamoNazi posted:

This is the queue to get into a park to watch the fireworks in Sydney as of 12pm

Cartoon posted:

Shocking. I can hear the terrorist chatter from Kempsey.

Those are actually the Terrorists lined up for their glowstick and bombvest handout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

DancingShade posted:

We still have that gutless fucklord PM though :(

Maybe his new years resolution is to actually get 'a' budget through the senate.

• Locked thread