Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Ii

AFewBricksShy posted:

Pretty much any time a company starts answering questions on Twitter or other social media is going to fail.

JP Morgan's is the most recent that I can think of, but there's some others.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/matthewzeitlin/jpmorgan-shows-exactly-how-to-not-use-twitter

Edit: Sorry for the buzzfeed link, but it's the one with the most examples.
Edit:
New York Police Department http://www.newstatesman.com/media/2014/04/not-what-they-had-mind-when-twitter-campaigns-backfire

Phone posting, so I can't pull examples, but that reminds me of Total Nonstop Action's president Dixie Carter doing a twitter campaign to have people #askdixie. It did not go well, especially since she'd recently fired a guy who broke his neck on live tv, once the statute of limitations ran out. Strangely that was one of the less popular topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Also, that rebranding was so widely disliked, the company themselves had to admit it was a terrible idea and changed everything back.

But yeah, given how to-the-point the original brand is, NO-ONE would guess what Consignia was meant to be.

Royal Mail, the British postal service.

Not gonna lie, I was thinking pyramid scheme, like Amway.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Barudak posted:

So a lot of this ties back to companies getting too smart for their own good. When pre-roll videos started companies didn't think about the first five seconds so you'd get a weird ad that was just the first 5 seconds of a TV spot making it both annoying and usually not great branding. Well pretty soon they realized, hey, people are skipping these so all these impressions I'm paying for are hot garbage since nobody is finishing these ads. So for many companies they try to pay based on completed (usually at least 50% of ad watched) pre-roll rather than just raw total pre-roll. So this payment incentive means advertising agencies want to be intriguing to stall you to get to the cutoff point where they get paid rather than rush out to beat you clicking skip.

Of course a lot of that is moot as companies are now just paying for unskippable pre-roll and therefore know a) they aren't being bypassed and b) exactly where in the video you click close in disgust.

The best one I ever saw was awesome, and I've only seen it once. It was for an insurance company, I think, and it was just a guy who basically said "we're here to make your life easier. Here, let me get that for you." And 'pushed' the skip button. A 5 second ad. And drat it, if I didn't have insurance, they would have had a sale. Some companies get it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

muscles like this? posted:

Pretty sure those are all theater based because the one in my area doesn't have any "ad" ads before movies. Once it starts you just get trailers.

Nope, it's contracts, and that poo poo comes from way above the theatre. Same way that theatres get dick from ticket sales for the first few weeks, especially on blockbusters.

This only applies to first run theatres. Dollar theatres and revivals don't have to deal with the same poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Cage posted:

I think you know what "normal" means.

No one puts cheese on top of toppings. Thats why they're calling toppings.

gently caress you cheese goes on top. Then you broil it for five minutes to crisp it up.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The White Dragon posted:

The few times I've been to a Starbucks, I've always gotten the "Venti" correction. Once, I even got "what size?" "Large." "Venti?" "Yeah, that." "So which size, again?" "LARGE." "We don't have large." Seriously dude at the counter, I'm not gonna fuckin' say it. Hate that Starbucks fake vernacular culture.

Outing myself as a fat goon, but for a while McDonalds had small, medium, and extra-large. I ordered a large soda, was given a medium, asked why, and was no poo poo told "we don't have large".

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

lamey_whinehouse posted:

yes, this thread with the 30 page loving coffee derail can't have a brief orca discussion

No, it can't. Because it won't be brief, and it'll end in bans and thread closures. Do you not know goons at all?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

death .cab for qt posted:

Y

yes, a discussion on a topic relevant to bad marketing and business decisions will render this thread unreadable, please take this discussion to the forum where everybody will nod in agreement then somehow shift gears into police reform

I was making a joke. I don't know what you just made, but my cat is trying to bury it.

Note: that is also a joke. I do not own a cat, and do know what you made. It was a lovely post. :ms:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Shut up, idiot.

Yeah, because you're a bastion of great posting.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Niven posted:

Interestingly this is how the Canadian cellphone market works too. Each of the big three has their own budget/"discount" brand - Telus/Koodo, Bell/Virgin, Rogers/Fido. You'll see advertising claims all the time touting things like "Telus! Best signal available!" when (here at least) they use literally the exact same towers as Bell/Virgin/Koodo.

The funny thing is if I price out my plan which runs roughly $60/mo taxes in with Virgin (or exactly the same price with the other budget carriers, Canadian telco collusion is a whole 'nother rant), the exact same service on the exact same tower with Bell (the exact same company) will run 20-40% more expensive. It never ceases to hurt my brain when I see a friend sign a contract with Telus when they could have had literally everything exactly the same but for $20-30/month less. It's not even like the budget brands are perceived as inferior, I guess they are marketed a little more heavily to younger demographics than business types, but jesus christ nobody can tell what provider you use.

Then again, some people also buy monster cables..

No, Koodoo, Virgin, and Fido are tainted as "Pay as you go" brands, which are for poors.

Yes, even when they offer post-pay options.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dr_Amazing posted:

There's a real feeling that unions exist to either collect dues and do nothing. Or make it impossible to fire a bad employee so all the hard workers have to carry the extra weight.

Some people seem to think they do both at the same time somehow.

My experience with a Canadian union was a roommate working in a warehouse, and they did protect the lovely employees. They also protected him from being disciplined over a stupid reason: 40%of his sick days were Fridays and Mondays. Assuming a random distribution, that's what you'd expect.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Spikeguy posted:

This has happen to me in regards to watching stuff from as recently as when I was 16 which was less than 15 years ago. From shows like the Gilmore Girls to the Clerks Cartoon series to even stuff like early Penny Arcade comics, you can see a lot of stuff that just doesn't fly these days. In these cases casual derogatory statements about gay people.

Wait, in Gilmore Girls? A lot of stupid stuff was said in that show, and it's been a few years since I've seen it, but I don't remember more than one episode even talking about gay people.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
As a Canadian, I want a game about us invading the US, but with every goddamned stereotype played straight. Hockey players riding battle-moose using week old Tim Bits as ammo. I don't care who I play as. I just wanna play.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Man and his dog posted:

Steak is suppose to be cooked medium rare. Have some drat pink in the middle. Stop chewing on a drat hockey puck.

:ughh:

Well done done well isn't a hockey puck. Learn to cook.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

pienipple posted:

And Spock tenderly touching the hot pocket monster

Holy poo poo, I remember that episode because Bones actually says "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!"

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Ignimbrite posted:

Sandals have other straps and poo poo on them. The only thing connecting a thong to your foot is a piece of rubber / fabric which goes between your big toe and the next toe along.

Also flip flop is a dumb name for thongs :colbert: It's almost like the names of things can vary by geographical range and culture :v: A "thong", as in the underwear, usually gets called a bikini bottom or a G-string here.

Bikini bottoms, G-strings, and thongs are all different. Lrn2fashion

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I love the people who are like "what's wrong with texting", not realizing a bright phone in a dark room kinda stands out.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
The Hyperion Fury and Proteus Core etc. may sound like dumb names, but I actually got to talk to a Logitech rep and he explained it. And it isn't dumb.

The way he explained it was asking people "what phone do you have?" The majority of people say stuff like "6S," "Galaxy S5," etc. They don't often go "Apple," "Android," etc. And model numbers are hard to remember properly. So you give the product a name, and people remember it and communicate with it. Then you sponsor some esports teams who say "when I'm fragging noobs, I use the Proteus Core from Logitech." And it worked. Sales of those mice are gangbusters.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Anyone who gives a poo poo about what version of windows they use is a loving moron, shut up, use whatever, no one cares why you use either the old lovely thing or the new broken thing, it doesn't even have anything to do with marketing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

mandatory lesbian posted:

yikes, kids in the 80's were in dire straits

:drat:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Most "stars" end up insane.

Some low key insane, others more ....exposed.

Jim carrey is anti vaxxer

I thought he stopped after he divorced Jenny?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ToxicSlurpee posted:

He had a Twitter meltdown pretty recently when California changed vaccine laws to close some loopholes crazy people were using to not vaccinate their children. Last year I think.

drat, I thought he had an ounce of sense.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

You have to be at least a septuagenarian to remember a pre‐atomic age.

Popular consciousness moves slowly on things.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Golden Gael posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/via-rail-passes-sold-out-1.4047338

Basically, the insanely expensive (and failing) rail industry in my country offered a great deal for our 150th anniversary - travel anywhere in Canada for youth for $150. Naturally, the response to this was immediate delight. Too bad their systems were down all day. They originally said passes would be unlimited, but have now since limited them to 1867 (year of confederation). The fury on their social media is hilarious and well deserved. gently caress VIA.

There's points where it's half the price to fly vs. taking VIA rail. That seems incredibly wrong to me.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Alhazred posted:

Which is the symbol of a fictional nazi organisation.

THAT IS JUST WHAT THEY WANT YOU TO THINK! WE'RE ALL BEING BRAINWASHED TO IGNORE NAZIS! WE ALREADY IGNORE CHEMTRAILS AND THE ILLUMINATI!!!1!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Platystemon posted:

It’s easier for a computer to find nearly identical pieces of media and police copyright than it is for a computer to discern content.

It’s as simple as that. Google doesn’t want to hire an army to investigate suspect videos, and :911: FREE SPEECH :911: gives them a cover rationale.

They don't even need an army. 20 people, have a threshold for number of reports relative to view count. You can usually tell in the first 5 minutes of a video if it's hate speech etc. Call it 8 videos an hour per person, kill a channel for two or more videos removed. 160 videos an hour should be plenty, it's not like they need to review every single thing uploaded.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

WampaLord posted:

300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute, you really aren't comprehending the scale of the problem here.

I specifically said they don't need to review everything, nor every minute of every video. It doesn't matter if you upload 10 hours of nyan cat unless someone reports your video for splicing hitler in the middle.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Please don't get too aggravated over internet posts and try to spend less time on this site since it's tough to conquer issues when you're surrounded by "sadbrains" :)

You either need to use more drugs, or less drugs. Probably less.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

ArtIsResistance posted:

Im gonna suggest the opposite for you, and probably not recreational ones either.

Same for that other :smith:

Actually my doctor tightly monitors my levels and is quite happy with my current mental state.

So, again, stop taking drugs. Or maybe go to TCC. You'll find some kindred souls there.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Sir Lemming posted:

I don't think you have to apply for that status at this point, everyone gets it free

You can, actually. Keeps the last few die hards out of your space.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

Worse by what metric?

More CEOs have ruined companies than line workers have ruined companies. QED.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

Pilots have crashed more planes than stewardesses. QED

You asked why CEOs weren't the worst employees. Your response is a non-sequitur and has no analogous relevance to the conversation. The logical conclusion is that you're a complete smooth-brain who is obviously only alive due to numerous medical interventions after you repeatedly tried to gently caress an electrical outlet.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

bongwizzard posted:

But boy you sound smart.

And you sound like an outlet fucker.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

food court bailiff posted:

Calling out someone as a moron isn't the same as defending CEOs, although I suppose it might look that way to you if you're as bad at recognizing analogies as Avenging_Mikon.

Don't defend outlet fucker, his analogy is poo poo.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Iron Crowned posted:

"All Taxation is theft!"
--Bongwizzard, probably

I'm betting it's more like "Don't tax the job creators, tax the worthless shits sucking up all the resources from companies."

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Mierenneuker posted:

Well, you should shut the gently caress up about other countries.

Hot take. Care to list the circumstances people can legitimately level criticism? Do I need to write a book before I can say Ready Player One sucks? Do I need to produce a movie before I can say I love the Shawshank Redemption? Do I need to be a millionaire before I talk about how the rich have too much money?

And before your obvious retort, I'm Canadian.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah but you can continue to fart for a long time after you're dead and it's Superman sooooo....

False, a true fart requires muscle flexing.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

King of Foolians posted:

So is that really a real movie poster for Justice League? Because in addition to how fantastically terrible it looks it has the character names instead of the actors and instead of the release date it says "All in November", whatever the hell that means. This looks super fake to me.

Teaser posters are often like that.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Henchman of Santa posted:

Some mysterious rich people bought LA Weekly and then fired their staff. Now they’re trying to get free contributions.
https://twitter.com/laweekly/status/936995889578516482

Also it’s spelled Angelenos.

Wasn’t LA Weekly the one that unionized so the bosses fired everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Waffleman_ posted:

Cool of a company to use private user data to publicly shame its customers.

Also kind of a weird admission that you have crap on your own service.

Anonymized data, most likely a joke.