Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I hope this thread eventually comes to have as good sim stories as the last one. The stuff in the Sims 3 Thread is some of the hardest I've ever laughed at this forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zoe posted:

All I have is the base Sims 3 game. I was hoping the release of Sims 4 would mean I'd be able to pick up a bundle of expansions on the cheap, but that hasn't happened yet. Do any of them improve the game enough to make it worthwhile to continue waiting on this hypothetical sale someday, or should I just jump ship and grab 4?

It's weird there hasn't been more discussion about it here. I heard they'd removed create-a-style and so was just like 'meh I'll wait until I read an LP or enough hilarious stories on the forum before I buy' but then that never happened.

There was The Sweatbox on the end of the Sims 3 thread (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525882&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=148#post435419382). But yeah I want more.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 14, 2014

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
The real thing I'm waiting for is for the Law Enforcement career to come back. Then I'll be able to create a true facsimile of Hank Schrader (there's already rock collecting).

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Elliotw2 posted:

It's probably only for the Grim Reaper, and it's marked do not translate/this is a bug because it's meant to be a hidden /npc only thing, like how "can arrest thieves" or "cashier" are hidden traits in the Sims 3 for npcs.

I always get a kick out of the explanations on how these mechanics work. Like how in The Sims 3 the service NPCs technically all lived in a tiny invisible house. It's still kind of a shame that reaper sims probably won't be a thing, because that would be a cool life state. It would be like that Treehouse of Horror episode where Homer becomes Death.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Avocados posted:

Weight gain is surprisingly gradual too. I had a sim with the frame of a beanpole but after weeks of sedentary living he started getting a gut. I thought it was kind of a cool touch, in previous games I had to make them eat when theyre not hungry purposefully in order to gain weight.

I think it was one of the patches that slowed down weight gain significantly. At launch there were so many comments about how easy it was to become fat.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, Lazy Game Reviews has posted his opinion/review of the addon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7zhfM1H3Eg
Ha, he remade his Duke Nukem sim for the Sims 4.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Why did someone delete their own comment?

Anyway, this is the same community that had "sexy schoolgirl walk" mods and openly defended actual RL pedophiles, the fact that this one is the controversial one is hilarious.

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 19, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lowly posted:

I don't know, I can easily see how someone who is struggling with mental illness might feel the same way about "insane" as Star Guarded feels about "cripple." It's a mod. Nobody has to use it, but it's there if anyone feels like they want it for themselves. I don't see why that's such a big deal. If no one's interested, no one will download it.

It's not like someone is trying to campaign EA to remove the words or anything, someone just made a thing that allows you, on your own, to not see some words if you don't like them. I'm having a hard time working up any cares about such a thing existing.

I agree, and that's kinda what I was getting at with my comment. It's so innocuous on top of being completely optional (you know, because it's a mod and all), especially compared to everything else.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Avocados posted:

My sim's boyfriend did the same thing shortly after ignoring him for a day. My sim had to let him go. On that note, I never noticed this many elderly townie sims before TS4. Does anyone else notice this, or is it just me? Or is it the fact my settings are on Longest lifespan and my sim already drank a reverse aging potion the day before his birthday?

According to the patch notes, there originally was a bug where the bars were set to attract/spawn elders.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
So soon we forget the Sweatbox.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

pwnyXpress posted:

Yeah, I wish it had kept going, it was pretty fantastic.

Mara deserves a break. :(

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

quote:

Adults that were asked to read to children would often times become so engrossed in the story that they would forget to actually read to the child. We’ve fixed this issue by informing the adults that the purpose of reading to their children is to connect with them, creating a lasting bond of love and trust, and not so much about finding out just how far Spot can run.

Sims will no longer get a whim to know themselves… that is to say to introduce themselves to themselves.

The bug reports are still the best.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
It's really hard to tell if the careers in that video are actual interactable jobs or just mock-ups (like the pictures for the current careers). I know I should keep my expectations down but I want to hope.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Toddlers were weird in that the life stage was basically a time trial game where you had to cram in the three life skills before they ended up traumatized for life. It always felt a little gimmicky to me so I can't say I miss toddlers specifically, but at the same time the absence is jarring. There really should be a better compromise.

On sort of the opposite subject, does anyone have a favorite feature in the series that never popped up again? I thought the pet dragons all the way back from Making Magic were the greatest, but they've never shown up in any form again despite magic reappearing several times over (and the things in that one Sims 3 DLC don't count, they were basically just weird birds.)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

SystemLogoff posted:

The modding community is not really huge yet. The Sims Resource controls the only tool that can created new models, and they are only giving to people who buy into their bullshit support their site.

Not to mention that Sims 4 is only really getting it's first big expansion in April, I know the first Sims 3 expansion was out pretty fast.

I want to make more original custom content for the Sims 4. I can't just keep porting animal crossing stuff.

Those are adorable.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I just spent several hours making a $320,000 dick shaped house. What has my life become?

But did that include furnishing the dick house?

Elliotw2 posted:

It's nice, but TS4 has way more colors for each object, and it's easy enough to make your own. It's not like The Sims 2 where you had three colors of everything and you better like those three colors.

You can always just try the game, since it's still the 48 hour free play game on Origin right now.

Unfortunately I think the Free Time was a temporary thing, unless I'm missing something obvious.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

sweeperbravo posted:

Reading about this EP is taking me back to when Hot Date came out and you could make and sell jam jars and lawn gnomes and it was amazing :allears:

My fondest Sims 1 memory was making several dozen lawn gnomes (they almost completely carpeted the giant mansion lot), and then casting the gardening spell from Making Magic that makes every lawn gnome on the lot come to life as an evil shin-kicking dick. There's a moment of calm as they all do the "stretching their limbs" animation and then they start shrieking.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Zoe posted:

gently caress that if I can't dress people in burlap sacks and rubber tires why even bother

Oh my God. Do you have any screencaps laying around?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think the novelty of Sims/EA content for free is pretty potent and would have surprised people either way.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

In Sims 2, with open for business, the money actually changed hands and the inventory of a Sim could be filled up with like a thousand toilets from buying from your toilet emporium. When you switched back to that household, they would be broke.

At least you could sell the toilets again?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Warmachine posted:

Might have to reenact The Silence of the Lambs... Detective career, etc etc... Any foods in 4 implied to be Sims, ala Brain Jelly?

Well there's cowplant milk.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Patch notes are out! On top of basements there's another feature that's been brought up often in this thread - coworker/classmate relationships are back!

quote:

Fixed an issue where long names were being cutoff in the Genetics panel in Create-A-Sim.This should help anyone who has named their Sim “WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW” but could only see the name as “WWWWWWWWWWWWWWW”

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lady Naga posted:

Do    you    know    what    time    it    is?

:allears: Those traits.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Sistergodiva posted:

Is there a story progression mod for this yet? Can't seem to find it. Any other good mods? Maybe some non-horrible items/clothes packs?

This is the mod that's supposed to emulate the reproduction part of story progression that was posted earlier. No one's talked about their experiences using it yet though. Also someone posted some adorable Animal Crossing themed items/wallpaper earlier in the thread. Edit: Here, and some others here.

mycot fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 5, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

IAmTheRad posted:

I have REPEATEDLY posted about the story progression mod.

I'm sorry, I must have missed those posts.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I will say that so far nothing has made me laugh as hard as Sims 3 stories.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Fuschia tude posted:

Where do I find the good ones? I thought 2's were great but I never really followed 3's community because I never bought it.

There used to be a lot of Let's Plays, but the only one I've read myself is Theta Zero's ongoing one, which is great. I think I read most stories from the old Sims 3 thread, but I don't think it'll be worth combing through it because it got consumed entirely by Sims 4 chat eventually. My favorites are probably FirstPersonShitter's posts.

quote:

King Raymondo, unlike my original mummy from my first save Berjepi, came out with the shittiest bunch of traits ever. Equinologist (or w/e), loser, clumsy, commitment issues and party animal. His lifetime wish is to find a Unicorn.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Unrelated, is anyone having an issue with Sims refusing to stop writing songs for any reason? My guitarist Sim is constantly miserable because I'm trying to get her to write songs for the master musician aspiration and when she inevitably gets hungry, tired, full-bladdered, whatever, she's unable to stop. Even canceling the action in the queue won't stop it, it gets an X over it but it stays there with the X and she keeps playing until either the song is finished or the game randomly decides to stop hours and hours later (I've seen her start writing a couple hours before her sister and brother-in-law go to bed for the night and get stuck until they wake up for work the next morning) for no apparent reason. In the meantime she keeps strumming like a madwoman while screaming about how hungry she is, like her fingers are possessed.

Are you sure you're not playing Dwarf Fortress?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Geokinesis posted:

Having not played Sims 2 or 3 I'm not sure how stuff like magic was handled in either. I really want the magic from Sims1, with all the charms and hilarious backfires that came with them.

Also Spa Day is out now I guess.
e2: Teleportation is in according to info on wellness skill.

I didn't get that deep into Sims 2 Apartment Life but from my experience magic was a pain to level up and the effects were kind of lame anyway. Sims 3, though, in the old thread someone called it the "rear end in a top hat with a wand life stage". My favorite story was the sim who was both a wizard and a stage magician at the same time. Anyone who booed at their act got set on fire.

Making Magic had my favorite art style in the whole series. The over the top magician theme was awesomely creative.

mycot fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jul 14, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
A few times in this thread people have brought up having problems getting their "town full of celebrities" neighborhoods to work because the game still kept pulling premade townies. I found a mod that's supposed to increase the priority of custom sims to appear in public.

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=560608

The same person also has a mod to make sim appearances more random in general.

http://linna.modthesims.info/download.php?t=557279

I want to test this out, so could I ask for suggestions on how to mass stupid-fy my neighborhood as fast as possible?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lady Naga posted:

Sims doesn't really lend itself well to tons offorum posting generally, since unless you format your stuff like an LP Sims stories just tend to be like really really boring dreams.

Like most create-your-own-story video games (e.g. Dwarf Fortress, Crusader Kings), you need a creative mind behind it to really make something amazing. I'm not going to be one of those people since I just lazily take other people's gimmick sims.

Keanu celebrated his birthday alone, just like the real thing. :smith:

Jacket (Made by Lady Naga up there actually - thanks!) is a great credit to the neighborhood. He's entered this completely stupid Coyote-Roadrunner relationship with fellow criminal Walter White. He's the roadrunner.

One unintentional consequence of downloading so many novelty sims is that the neighborhood is completely filled with douchebags.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
None; I decided early on that I was going to ignore stuff like an obese blue Sim named Baymax (actual example), because that just disturbing.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 13, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
I think this is the secret gem of the patch notes.

quote:

You will no longer be able to upload a lot to the Gallery if it is on fire.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

Traits, pretty much. They don't have like a "trainable" AI, aside from some really basic things like claiming a bed, but they will be predisposed to certain things based on their traits. So, mean sims are more likely to be a dick autonomously, energetic sims won't stop doing pushups whenever you move the camera off of them, and that sort of thing. I'm not sure off hand if there's a trait that gets embarrassed spontaneously, but a lot of the traits will cause occasional spontaneous moods, especially upon waking up from a sleep.

I can confirm, mean sims are total dicks autonomously.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

0lives posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3Dvo6GRy10
LGR has a review up. It sounds pretty good, if you've dreamt of cults like I always have.

The example cults clubs given five minutes in are :stare: alright. Child labor club where the rules are cleaning and no talking.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Trilin posted:

My painting cult is off the ground.

Someone forgot her hood! Get her!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Manic X posted:

I'm considering buying Sims 4 for a friend who only has a very standard laptop, is it likely to be able to play it?

If you don't care about the present being a secret you could ask them to try the demo on Origin.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Does this mean the return of the Klepto King challenge?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yessss sit-down restaurants!

Restaurants have been incredibly impractical in every single sims title but I want them. It feels so wrong to stuff your sim with bar chips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

deadly_pudding posted:

I read in the forum thread there that randomly-generated townies just don't use the new system at all. You'd have to roll your own and just move them in as NPCs if you want to have like a thriving trans community or whatever.

Are there truly randomized townies in this game? I just assumed it worked like 2 and you had a premade list of Goopy Gilscarbos or whatever.