Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bodanarko posted:

Clearly, the game is irreparably broken, also: anyone that has the deluxified version and wants to offload it for cheap, let me know. I have to stress that the game is broken and bad and worthless though.
There was one guy selling it for $30 but I bought it myself to save you the horror. You're welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Talk me out of getting Merchants & Marauders?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Triskelli posted:

it is very much Sid Meier’s Pirates: The Board Game
I said, talk me out of buying it. Sid Meier's Pirates the boardgame is all kinds of my poo poo :yarr:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ropes4u posted:

I am playing watch the movers pack up all my boardgames, among the rest of my belongings, and it’s a bit stressful. People don’t give boardgames the respect they deserve until you explain that those boxes can’t be tossed into the moving truck like some random piece of wood.
"It's pickup-and-deliver, not roll-and-move! :argh:"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I need some info about Mage Knight, specifically what are the differences between the first and the most recent editions? Any major changes, or just minor stuff that's normally covered by an errata?

Also, do we know anything about possible changes in the upcoming big box edition? Is it gonna be the same stuff, just base game + expansions in one set, or revamped in some major way?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just got Dungeon Petz. I like Vlaada's games a lot, loved Lords, but hate anything Pokemon-related. How hosed am I?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

silvergoose posted:

It's still in my set of "explain in five minutes, play in 30" though, with uptown, sushi go, and a couple others.

Please list said couple of others.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Also it's tiny.
If you throw away the box and the insert and pack everything optimally, sure. There's gotta be at least 80% of empty space there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Oldstench posted:

So, check it out. I don't like Gloomhaven. I don't like RPG board games, legacy boardgames, 99% of dungeon crawlers, and 99% of fantasy settings. So, if you're the other person like me in this hobby, don't buy Gloomhaven.
is this bait

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Magic: The Gathering.
reported for child abuse

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why isn't :gloomhaven: a thing yet?

apart from "because smilies have limited space that won't fit the enormous box"

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Not a fan. My friends who like it call it "punishing". The friend I played with likes those Skyrim mods where you have to eat and dress for the weather.
Tell your friend to play UnReal World and he'll love you for it (if he gets past the oldtimey visuals).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FulsomFrank posted:

I've got it sitting there and figuring out how to store it was almost like playing a puzzle game in itself. Astounded at how inexpensive it was at the time when I grabbed it and the insane content.

Earth Reborn is a notable exception to plastic inserts always being useless.
I still threw away the smaller one holding the minis, but still

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Servoret posted:

Isn’t the hardest part of the game trying to fit everything back into that insert? It’s like a jigsaw puzzle from what I remember.
Yes, the Earth Reborn insert is literally Tetris.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

The deal with 7th continent is ahahaha nooooooooooooooooo.

Explain.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'm quietly hoping nothing comes from that. Turning ER into another hosed up Kickstarter would break my heart :ohdear:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

hosed up as in not successful or ducked up as in loads of tacked on KS exclusives?
The latter. It'd be like having the cool band you loved in your youth become corporate sellouts.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

6 tables!

18 players

Hour per player

Mega Civ!
No nukes, humans only, Final Destination :getin:

Also, requesting titles of

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

Eclipse 2.0 is up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kolossalgames/eclipse-second-dawn-for-the-galaxy

I’ll wait for retail if it turns out to be worth it as opposed to getting the original cheap but that is a really nice production with the trays and everything.
Looks like a nice combination of things I don't like. I'll just wait until the cult of the new gets it and grab the old one on the cheap.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jul 10, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The end game is reading pages and pages of clearclaw posts on bgg reviewing different kinds of poker chips.
Speaking of, any good chip sets for 18XX that are sold in the EU?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It looks like Apache ships to a bunch of nations: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/international/
Yes but:
1. it's in the US, which means ridiculous shipping,
2. it's in the US, which adds the question of recent extra customs charges for playing cards and the like.

Thanks for the distributions, though. (even if I'd rather eat broken glass than play with this dude)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jul 11, 2018

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Media Bloodbath posted:

Maybe you can still get the Brass Kickstarter Poker Chips from their website. I think it's Roxley Games (?)
The Iron Clays? I could get those from a FLGS. Are they as great as they look?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I just got Vast the Crystal Cavern, Clash of Cultures and Merchants & Marauders Seas of Glory. How much did I gently caress up? 5-player totally asymmetric game sounds very much like my thing:

- ...so the Knight has to slay the dragon, the goblins want to kill the knight, the dragon has to wake up and escape, and the thief just grabs as much loot as he can carry and runs for his life. Got all that?
- what about you?
- I'm the cave and you're all crawling around in my rear end in a top hat.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Do you have Kemet? If you don't, you hosed up.

1. Kemet is a meme
2. local boardgame cafe has it so I'll probably play it anyway at some point

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

Why I didn't KS Founders of Gloomhaven I'll never know. Now I'm on the outside looking in :negative:

I have a pre-order with MM but that will be awhile.
But... it's already being sold? :confused: Or are those KS copies ordered by stores?
What difference is there between the KS version and the retail one anyway?

I'm grabbing mine tomorrow :haw:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ojetor posted:

^^^^^ No difference between retail and KS.
Whoa. Back up. Sanity? In Kickstarter? You're talking nonsense!

Lorini posted:

WHERE? Geezus.
It was the KS edition after all:

https://www.planszostrefa.pl/pl/p/Founders-of-Gloomhaven-Kickstarter-edition/8780

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lorini posted:

That's $89 US without shipping. Amazon says they'll have it next week for $77 and my pre-order is $49 from Miniature Market so I think I'll wait. Thanks for the info.
More like $82 without any discount and yeah, they do add a markup for KS versions. Still better than buying them sight unseen.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

If it holds up with multiple plays I may not have a reason to keep Through the Ages anymore.
Why, is there that much overlap apart from "civilization-themed card game"?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Introducing VAST: Crystal Caverns to 5 new players at the same time, myself included: bad idea or worst idea? I love the asymmetry, but it kinda looks like 5 different games that happen to play in one place and sounds like the perfect recipe for major rule fuckups.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bruceski posted:

The key point of the game is how the guys interact with each other and knowing what they can do. Don't take shortcuts of "everyone look at your sheet and we'll go" unless you want somebody winning because people didn't realize they had ways to stop him, or the dragon making GBS threads out gems because their sheet just says "this is how they help me" and not "the thief really likes these, don't drop em when they're close." Everyone plays differently with different goals, but they're not playing their own games.
Thanks. I found a cheat sheet of "here's what each class does for/to you" cards that I'm probably gonna print out and give to players.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Jejoma posted:

I've had about a half a dozen stickers made up at a print shop I use for work that correct the Orchid/Jewel misprint in Founders of Gloomhaven, if anyone wants one for free. I'm picking them up tomorrow.
I haven't opened my copy yet, what misprint? I might want one.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Mojo Jojo posted:

The worst system is the FFG current model of a learn to play book and a rules reference
FTFY. I mean, making a proper rulebook from a tutorial and an index teaches the rules quite well, but I find them utter poo poo when it comes to learning normally. Doubly so if the reference leaves out adetails because they've been explained in the LtP book.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

All the serious gamers I know who’ve been looking forward to the reprint have been talking about SEVEN INCH SHIPS
Maybe that guy already has a big dick and doesn't have to compensate.
*pushes Gloomhaven under the table*

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Anyone know of a cooperative worker-placement eurogame (or a fanmade variant with reports I could read)? Like Agricola but all players' VPs are totaled and the goal is to both get as many VPs as possible and facilitate it for other players, so it's OK to make a bad move where another player gains more than you lose? Possibly with restricted communication so it's not too easy to avoid blocking others. Seems simple to make a variant like that, but I haven't seen any in practice.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

golden bubble posted:

Kitchen Rush is a co-operative worker placement game. But it probably doesn't fit with your desires because it focuses more upon real-time gameplay rather than turn-based gameplay. This means each worker in Kitchen Rush is a small hourglass, and they are able to take another action the moment the hourglass is empty.
Sounds interesting, and I don't mind real-time games. is KR a good game by itself?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

Aren't we long overdue for a new board game thread? Because that's a mighty fine candidate for a new tile.

Board Game Thread: No XX before 18

For some reason I'm picturing a huge king Philip with no skin.

silvergoose posted:

I mean if you're worried about it being too easy, get expansions. If you already play with rough road and all that and still wreck everything, congrats you're GT savants.
I am this and also the guy that flips the hourglass at the first opportunity.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Happy page 2000, thread! :toot:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DogCop posted:

Are there any other foreign versions of games with better components? The Brazilian release of Coup comes to mind.
Polish* version of Glory to Rome?

*(I know of a few other versions with similar but different art)

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lichtenstein posted:

I believe said illustrations were made for the Polish edition and then licensed back to other euro countries.
I thought so too, until I compared BGG pics. At least 2 are like the same style redrawn from scratch.

Also, did I remember correctly that you used to praise WH Diskwars around here, or did I confuse you with another goon?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

What if booster packs but decks :v:
Already done.
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/keyforge/products/keyforge-call-archons-archon-deck/

Rutibex posted:

I kind of miss those randomized starter decks:

The first two packs look all kinds of comfy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of Steam, there's a board games weekend going on, check your wishlist.