Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Bruceski posted:

The hard part will simply be getting the word out. I'm part of one niche forum whose hosting died that was reincarnated 3-5 years ago, and we still get posts of "I just found out the place is back!"

Well, there is a centralized location other than SA for SA board game goons to check... Ok, actually there's two of those places.

I very much doubt BGG or Discord are going to die anytime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Oldstench posted:

But gently caress this. That's not what I said or even intimated and you know it.

Oldstench posted:

I'm just offering a counterpoint to the constant knob-slurping this thread gives the game.

e: No offense to all y'all who love the game. Keep on keeping on.

:shrug:

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Just got my shipping notice for Container!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

What country do you live in??

USA. Wisconsin, if that matters.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

rydiafan posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo why is that so tiny? Here's a link. https://m.imgur.com/gallery/mTzrTky

So... Spyfall, except depressing?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

The individually bagged containers were because of the paint used. Many people’s bags of additional 15 containers ended up being dried together. Just wondering, but if either of you didn’t get the additional 15, did you also get the note that talked about rushing out the shipment and getting a replacement 15 later? Curious.

Remind me to open mine tomorrow. I did get the extra 15.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

pospysyl posted:

I'd consider that too charades-y for a legal clue.

The person who taught me Decrypto said that rules state that you can use pantomime and sound effects to give a clue, but you also have to write it down; good luck!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

A friend brought a Print n' Play of SPQF (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1312152563/spqf-deckbuilding-in-the-forests-of-antiquity?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=spqf) to game night yesterday. It's a mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome.

And that's really all I have to say about it. It plays like a bare-bones mix of Eminent Domain and Glory to Rome. Owning both of those games means I have no interest in owning SPQF. If you own neither of those, it might be worth checking out. It's not bad, just simplistic.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Unboxing Container right now. A couple of questions:

1) Lorini, do you still need a writeup for the Investment Bank, or did you find the rules for it?

2) Should I bother with the Investment Bank? I know it's there to alleviate the Death SpiralTM of the original version, but I figure if you point that out while teaching, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, and I absolutely loved the time I played the original version.

3) I got the 15 extra containers. Is the shorter game significantly different in any way other than "shorter"?

4) Why are all of the containers individually bagged?!

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Lorini posted:

I got the investment rules. Container really needs repeated play with four or five, not something I can expect to happen currently.

Cool. I think it's mostly a complex rules patch for something that actually does a good job of simulating an actual capitalist enterprise, so I probably won't be using them.

I hope people like it enough that I can get a bunch of plays out of my copy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Sloober posted:

- any tips for commonly missed rules in Spirit Island?

Dahan only do damage after the invaders ravage.

All effects of a power must happen in a single land (unless the power itself says otherwise).

Pay attention to the ranges of your cards. It's easy to forget restrictions on the target land, or whether or not you need a Sacred Site for that power.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Gravy Jones posted:

Adding them to the list! Someone had mentioned Champions of Midgard in the past, but in my head I think I'd confused it with A Feast For Odin, which is probably a bit too much (and considerably less beating up monsters).

I'd look into Argent: the Consortium. Might be a bit above what you're looking for, but sounds like something he'd grow into.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

homullus posted:

Argent: the Consortium "a bit above" a 10-year-old? Are you smoking your own goo?

Quite possibly. I'd have enjoyed it at that age, but I fully admit I'm crazy.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Happy this year, thread! (I think we need a new one)

I really wish I could play my favorites more often. I need to play more Argent and Millennium Blades. Also more Spirit Island, but I get to play that one a lot.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

The End posted:

So I'm trying to bodge together a google sites/sheets/forms implementation of Container, but I'm scratching my head when it comes to how to manage hidden scoring card allocation. Anyone got any good solutions for how to do hidden info without using vassal or similar?

The BattleCON sheets use salted hashes. You could give each player a string indicating which card they have, then add a random string to the end and hash the whole thing, putting it in the sheet.

At the end of the game, you reveal your string and compare to the hash.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

The End posted:

Yeah, I basically only understood 'BattleCON' out of that.

If the follow-up explanation didn't make sense, send me a PM and I'll walk you through it.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Also played Deception three times, was the murderer twice, and man, hearing someone else get repeatedly accused of a crime that I committed is just so great. Have any of you guys played the expansion, and does it add anything to the game (on the unlikely chance I spot it somewhere)?

I felt that the base game didn't have enough going on to be interesting to play over Avalon. I feel that adding the extra roles from the expansion makes Deception an excellent alternative.

I personally would rather play Avalon with all the bells and whistles over any form of Deception, but that does not stop Deception from being very good, especially with the expansion.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Jedit posted:

Don't rush to buy Glen More. There's a revised edition in prototype, and I'm looking at it right now. Photos to follow when I get home.

This is good news. Looking forward to the preview.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

wizzardstaff posted:

I’ve never played it myself but my understanding is that Captain Sonar is best at its full player count of 8 people.

The game also plays well at 6 because one of the roles is about half a role, but sometimes you have a 7th or 8th that really only wants to do that much.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

BattleCON (Bacon) and Exceed are both card games that simulate fighting games. Each character has their own unique cards, making them something akin to Keyforge.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

What those two said. I still play with Power Progression when teaching this game, even after a bajillion plays, because it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

No mention of Tribune among Rome-themed games? Shame.

See, the thing about Tribune is that it’s a fun game that has [i]something[/ i] fundamentally wrong with it, and I can’t seem to figure out what that is.

It’s NOT the leaders, except maybe the Vestal Virgins leader. It’s NOT the weirdness that is faction control, except maybe the Vestal Virgins. It’s not the convoluted steps needed to get the Tribune victory condition, although the Vestal Virgins help with that...

Ok, l might have found the problem.