Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!
I wish I worked on more than just one website, otherwise I'd put this code code on every page, always in different colors, just for r0ck0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

I said come in! posted:

A lot of people got soured on lollipop because it's initial release was very buggy, and then it was delayed for weeks on a lot of Google devices, defeating one of the key selling points of buying a Google device in the first place, having the latest version of Android as soon as it's available.

They were first in line so they get a potentially buggy version, but then Google goes to fix those bugs (delaying future rollouts until fixed) and that's bad too?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

mars posted:

Hey guys, is there any known issue about battery being awful on 5.1?

I got the update sometime last week and my battery life tanked like crazy. It went from 100% to 15% in under 4 hours doing nothing, with google services using 43%.

I did a factory reset on Friday when I started having this issue and the phone was great all weekend, then this morning it went back to terrible.

Oh I thought I was the only one

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I've had the battery problem on my Nexus 5 as of 5.1 as well. This was this morning after about a half hour of just idleOnly ~7hrs of idle time??

Here it is right before I posted. Now I'm only supposed to last until 2PM?

Yeah some poor signal but even with strong signal it's diving.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

butt dickus posted:

I meant in the percentages. The numbers aren't useful and they don't add up to anything that makes sense. I have 5 entires with 1% each. That's useless. It doesn't matter to me right now but I'm not having battery problems.
See my first image:
1%: Screen
1%: Chrome (even though its bar is shorter than the one for Screen)
98%: :confused:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Is there a way to manage my list of devices that the Google Play store checks for compatibility? It's still checking my old Nexus 5 (that I sent to be replaced) as well as the T-Mobile G2 I used prior. I'd like to remove them.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

My phone's battery is inexplicably better now. Granted I think Chrome updated, but other than that :iiam:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Are there any good large Qi charging pads for multiple devices at once? Multiple being a Galaxy S5, iPhone 6, and maybe an iPad and Nexus 7 (yes I know I'll need to get a Qi adapter for all but the Nexus 7)

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Why don't group messages in Hangouts show up as being a group message and instead as a message from an individual person? When i reply I'm not even sure if it's going to the group or the individual (I'm assuming the later). It wasn't always this way, but since I get group messages so infrequently I can't tell if it was due to a Hangouts update, Google Voice, Lollipop update or what.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

vyst posted:

ugh why can't google ~just know~ ughhhh
Alternatively, "Google knows? That's private Google :argh:"

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Hate this too.

edit: Other annoyance (actually Im pretty sure this is lollipop not M): Why, when phone is locked, can I pull down the notification shade, but swiping up to close the notification shade prompt to unlock? I didn't select a notification, I didn't ask to do anything that needs it unlocked, I just wanted to close the notification shade. WTF Google.
Doesn't happen for me on a Nexus 5 with 5.1.1. Unless when I swipe up to close the notification shade I do it from the bottom of the phone where there are no notifications... because swiping up the phone IS the unlock gesture.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Desk Lamp posted:

It's 2015, people should stop obsessing over updates and realize their phone works just fine already . Just use your phone and one day be surprised by the notification to update.

All the people desperately refreshing the forums and hoping for download links to manually update their phones are hilariously sad. They'll be underwhelmed when the update comes and doesn't fundamentally change the way their phone works.

The funniest part is that this being Android, there's always a non zero chance their phone could end up worse after updating.
Unless a security vulnerability is discovered.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Smoke posted:

Looks like Samsung's got a nasty issue going on here. An exploit allowing basically full system access via an MitM-attack through a security vulnerability in the keyboard, with over 600 million devices possibly affected.

There are more details here including a list of potentially affected devices.

I'm fairly sure my old S3 Mini also uses the same Samsung keyboard, but it's not listed so either I'm wrong or it doesn't affect that version(or it's just too old to even care about)
I hope Desk Lamp has a Galaxy :allears:

Desk Lamp posted:

It's 2015, people should stop obsessing over updates and realize their phone works just fine already . Just use your phone and one day be surprised by the notification to update.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

You know all those things apple does better? Google could start doing them that way, too.
Yeah, Apple devices never have security vulnerabilities

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

spincube posted:

Idly curious: many years ago, the EU settled on micro-USB to use as the One True Mobile Device Connector. Think everyone's going to be using adapters, now that USB-C seems to have the press jumping up and down?

That's what Apple does now with their lightning port, so I could see all OEMs doing that with USB-C. Maybe down the road the EU will update the requirement to be (also?) USB-C.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

So I came back to NY from a vacation in Canada and now my Nexus 5 has awful battery (about 5hrs for a day!). It also seems to run a little warm on occasion. I didn't install any new programs while I was there. Any ideas?
Battery usage is Exchange, Android System,. Android OS and Screen (and other even smaller stuff)

Also is the stagefright fix a 5.1.2 thing or something else?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

hooah posted:

See if it's switching off of wifi when it's asleep. My Moto X has been doing that and exhibiting similar symptoms.
Doesn't seem like it, but when looking there I see it's maybe a wakelock? Yes signal is awful but it was like this at home where my signal is usually fine.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

They should look at the dif in the new OTA to see what was changed. I certainly downloaded some update. Was it just //TODO FIX STAGEFRIGHT VULNERABILITY ?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Huge bump = should have used that space for a bigger battery.
But...but... my millimeters difference in thinness :qq:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

My wife wants the best non-Samsung phone money can buy when her contract expires and I'm not sure what to suggest for maybe the first time ever. iPhone seems like the frontrunner honestly, but I'll never pull her back if she goes iOS again and I hate being locked into their one line. Android has dropped the ball this fall.
How have the Nexus 5X or Nexus 6P "dropped the ball" this fall?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Google hasn't really intended Nexus device's primary use case to be software testbeds for quite awhile (indeed, they've created their own internal test beds when it has suited them, see Tango.) Otherwise, they really wouldn't give a poo poo about doing things like improving camera hardware.
If it's not a testbed, and not flagship (given lack of OIS, Qi, etc), then what is the point of a Nexus device?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

TollTheHounds posted:

Well, the nail in the coffin for my desire for a Priv.

Blackberry will stop making handsets forever if the Priv doesn't sell 5 million handsets:

http://mobilesyrup.com/2015/10/08/blackberry-will-stop-making-handsets-within-in-a-year-if-the-priv-fails/

It's funny because they probably released this statement to drum up interest for people on the fence to help "support" BB by purchasing one. Only it does the opposite for me because it's a gamble that if you buy one you'll ever get support for it again after it's released - probably including software/OS updates.

If they wanted to gauge interest, just do a Kickstarter an Indiegogo campaign like Canonical did with Ubuntu Edge

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Has anyone gotten the OTA on their Nexus? I have both a Nexus 5 (unlocked) and Nexus 7 (WiFi) and haven't gotten the notification on either. I know I could just flash it or whatever, but my concern is Google does these staged rollouts for a reason, so maybe the current build of 6.0 has issues?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Nexus 5 finally got Android 6! Trouble is, Hangouts crashes the moment I open a conversation with a particular person, but not others.
I also see that Messenger got an update, even though I never installed it. I guess it's part of Android 6 and Google is trying to tell me something?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I think we may have found the reason Chase bank was suddenly removed from supported partners of Android Pay.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Moto is doing some interesting things with the Turbo 2.
Like releasing with Android 5.1?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

My Nexus 5 just got the November 2015 security update.
Meanwhile my 2013 WIFI Nexus 7 still doesn't have Marshmallow.

Google: We're serious about security so we'll give you monthly* updates.

*may take more than a month to actually arrive.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

GokieKS posted:

Is your N7 (2013) on LMY48T, which was a security update for LMY48M? They released the Marshmallow update for the latter, but for whatever reason, not the former, so you couldn't even sideload an OTA update if you wanted to. I'm in the same situation, and it's annoying as hell.

On the upside, the N6P has almost replaced the N7 in most cases for me anyway.

I ended up getting the update yesterday, so I guess complaining here worked!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

I'd love to use Android Pay but apparently it doesn't work with Chase cards. :mad:
Good news, Chase will support Android Pay... in 2016.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

My cardboard was originally supposed to come the 16th (today), then I got a shipping update saying it was going to come the 15th (yesterday), and now for the past 24hrs it's been ???

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Since the LG G5 doesn't have an app drawer (or does? optionally?), and the Galaxy S7 optionally doesn't, that means Google is going to remove the App Drawer in Android N?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Thanks very much.
More "Evidence" that Google will remove the app drawer in Android N.
https://twitter.com/googlemaps/status/703235681976332288?s=09

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Lol at all the Nexus 5 owners disappointed that it's not for them, but yet holding out hope that the final version of N will be available for them for some reason.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

So my Nexus 5 has reached the "Randomly reboots unless I bash it against my desk occasionally" phase of its life. Time for a replacement. Looking at the S7. Does the S7 come with as much carrier bloatware with Canadian carriers as it does in the US? I'd like to get it as clean and close to the Nexus as possible.

I got my Nexus 5 repaired when it got like this, so maybe that's an option too.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I'm on vacation and it showed me flight and hotel information.

It also showed me a trending(?) article about the flydubai jet, which appeared in my feed the day of my flight :(

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Once again I have to express my horror at the American mobile market. The UK :britain: has 3 or 4 networks and so far as I can tell there's very little carrier interference in the handsets or their software, at least compared to the US market.

How did things get so bad for Yank goons?
Since the US is geographically so much larger than the UK you need a bigger company to cover that bigger area. The bigger the company, the more...influential... it can be.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I like the idea of it but every manufacturer needs to be on-board (universal agreed upon standards) otherwise this is mostly crap.
If it's only Motorola, then it's even better. They can constantly make money selling proprietary dongles.

Works for Apple.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The LG V20 will have Nougat upon release in September. The latest Nexus phones are usually the first to ship with a new version of Android. If that's the case, then before September.

Outside of that, there still has been no concrete information.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Though at least [in iOS] you can manage things somewhat using folders which you can't in the Android app drawer.
iOS doesn't have an app drawer at all so you can get the same level of management in Android as you can iOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

And yet with the exception of firmware updates and point releases, macOS has done it for years.
And yet, if I ignore all the times I have to reboot, I never have to reboot!