Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mr. Powers posted:

Android security updates are the worst because they take maybe a minute to install and then 30 minutes recompiling apps. I look forward to N's JIT/AOT implementation eliminating this.
Isn't the long term solve for this issue in Android actually having two versions of the OS installed a la ChromeOS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

bull3964 posted:

Hangouts is dead, long live hangouts

https://www.engadget.com/2016/08/16/google-hangouts-business-focus-duo-allo/

Ok, maybe Hangouts isn't dead, but Google has flat out said they are going to re-focus it on business customers. Hopefully this means they'll keep the consumer side working the same way it has been since Hangouts is pretty much the fundamental staple of all my friends' communications.
Even more of a push to get people off of Hangouts? So I guess I can use Messenger Allo on the web now?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Nope. They're pretty adamant about it being mobile-only.
Oh I know. It's just that's the main feature I use hangouts for.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

While we are circlejerking about crappy manufacturers, HTC has, unsurprisingly, broken their promise to update the One A9 to Nougat within 15 days of Nexus devices getting the update.

And this is why we can't collectively get longer support by "voting with our wallets". By the time the issue would be relevant, they already have our money.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Well, yes and no.

Voting with your wallets basically means buy a Nexus.

I did, and my Nexus 5 is sure loving all these Nougat features...

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, my 486SX-16 can't run Windows 10 either. Fuckin M$.

Phones aren't PCs as you say. Also the devices Windows 10 can run on are far older than 3 years, so I'm not sure why you said any of that.

I'm sure there is effort involved, I just think the way things are now is wasteful and planned obsolescence. :shrug:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

It's interesting that the OS update came out before the next phones. Is that so when the HTC Nexuses are deemed "too old" by being the ripe old age of a toddler, they will have just recently gotten a full OS update of Android 10?

EDIT: oh nevermind I guess my math is off since my phone isn't even 3 years, but anything more than 2 years is a piece of poo poo dumpster fire.

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Aug 25, 2016

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

One of the largest holdouts, Chase, is now supported in Android Pay.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I know the "unique silhouette" was removed from the app icon guidelines a while ago, but I didn't think it was because of this.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

You can pick and choose what's in your notification shade but the status bar is still off limits unless you're rooted, right?
I'm only on Marshmallow with Nexus 5 but I can do it if developer mode is enabled (tap build number under about phone 7 times).

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

( :tipshat: ) Joking aside though:

Two years of OS updates.

We control the hardware (like Apple)
We charge a premium price (like Apple)
OS Update Support length? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Why are you teasing us with faking images of a Nexus 5 running 7.1, Google? :qq:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I have a Nexus 5, should I flash CyanogenMod, or stay on an official version of Android that doesn't receive even security updates?

I'd rather not buy a new phone right now.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

CodfishCartographer posted:

Hey, everyone loved it so much when Apple did it with the iPhone 7!
The only part Samsung took in

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have no problem with USB-C headphones, but I do have a problem with having to carry around a dongle if I want to charge and listen to headphones at the same time :(
If only there were some way to charge your phone, with no wires at all, thus leaving the USB-C port available.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Who would be the Goon Approved OEM?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

No site should have ads, I'm entitled to free content.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Taffer posted:

Considering the general tastelessness and more importantly the absolutely enormous privacy and security hole that ads represent... Yes. [quote]Lol good job agreeing with the False Dichotomy I was making fun of. [quote="Taffer" post="473215127"]If there was a standard that sites adhered to that enforced security and privacy it would be acceptable, but that doesn't exist.

There is. Also, Chrome will block ads that don't follow that next year.

I'll stop now since I don't want to derail.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Do we "know" who is making the next Pixel? Is it HTC again?

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ola posted:

I would pay $20/month for an ad-free internet, which could get distributed according to my page views. It's way more than advertising makes off me would have made off me if I didn't block their horrible poo poo. A big portion of the money paid by advertising buyers are scams anyway, the ads are viewed by bots or the numbers are made up. It's a rotten business that deserves to die.

Good thing this was released, then.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I don't know if there is a thread for TV...

So my Nexus Player refused to sync to the remote, or rather it would but then immediately forget. My gf and I would then use the remote control app on our phones, but now that won't connect either.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

:tipshat:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

nimper posted:

I'm currently doing this but as stated above there is no sense in it.
of course not, that's for phones by HTC :v:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

The Chrome blocker only blocks stuff Google doesn't like. There will definitely still be ads.
To be fair, it will block ads that don't follow the Better Ads Standards . So the ads they do block may end up including ads they themselves serve (via AdWord). It's not some hand-wavy "ads Google doesn't like", which could be seen as anti competitive.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Has anyone tried any USB-C to Qi adapters? If I upgrade from my Nexus 5 to Pixel 2 I'm going to miss Qi.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Android 8.1 Developer Preview is available for all you goons who love pre-release software and want to enable Google's image chip thing on the new Pixels.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/25/16546686/android-oreo-developer-preview-8-1-release
http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/25/android-8-1-feature-spotlight-settings-now-colored-navigation-bar-dims/

Oh look something to specifically address burn-in / image retention

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand how people can use smartphones with terrible cameras. That's like, the biggest dealbreaker for me on a phone. It has to be good.
I don't understand how people can record video holding the phone in portrait orientation.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol same, I thought they were joking. Radio is dead.

quote:

Please keep your Canada-centric opinions out of my Android thread :mad:
Whatever radio stations you listen to are more likely than not, part of iHeartMedia, which filed for Bankruptcy

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

They'll copy the gesture navigation and the notch, but not the Qi charging.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

All glass back = Qi charging returns :pray:

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/OnLeaks/status/1011928326922014720
Introducing the Samsung Galaxy S9 Google Pixel 3 and Apple iPhone X Google Pixel 3 XL!

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 27, 2018

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Verge posted:

If the phone has 16:8 res...
Ugh, it got smaller? I thought after 16:9, 18:9 was the new hotness.

it's a joke, you see

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Ugh such a huge chin! I won't be happy until a phone has a 7" screen and negative bezels.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Bandire posted:

For some reason I thought the left side clock thing was configurable? Am I crazy? Why do we need notches again?
because Apple

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

I don't see why they bothered with gesture navigation ...

The Merkinman posted:

because Apple

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

codo27 posted:

May we band together, update-shunned brethren in hopes of better days ahead.

So why does everyone attribute the notch to apple when the essential came out 2 months before? I guess it has something to do with all of 5 people off these forums ever having heard of it. I mean its a pretty safe bet that apple didn't invent whatever it is they get credit for.
Because like many things (touchscreen, smartphone, etc), Apple doesn't invent it, but they popularize it. That popularity makes other OEMs copy it.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

spincube posted:

I think if phones are getting larger because MORE SCREEN; and, because it's physically uncomfortable/impossible to use with a human thumb, you're now having to deal with garbage unintuitive swipe gestures just to use the thing; and there's a gigantic widow's peak with a useless deadzone either side so you can have MORE SCREEN on the spec sheet; maybe they should just give up the MORE SCREEN as a self-evidently stupid idea.

I mean if you're so set on MORE SCREEN that you're building layers of stupid dumb decisions around that concept, just to make it happen ... maybe it shouldn't happen because it's a stupid idea? :shrug:

Higher numbers = better than!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

Pixels not charging is nothing, how about Nexus Players* not booting?

*yes I realize they are no longer supported, but this seems to be some (intentional??) software problem and also kinda lovely since there never was a newer Nexus/Pixel Player.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

...Really notches aren't really taking away from the screen...
Then why does the term "notch" refer to the part that is not screen? If it were thought of as more screen, the term would be "ears" or something.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Based on leaks there's no excuse for the 3XL. I'm hoping a bunch of the info leaked is wrong, or else welp.
Based on (lack of) leaks there no non XL 3 anymore :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

The non XL is roughly the size as the first gen XL? I guess I'd better get a new phone soon before the "mini" is "only" 1ft on the diagonal.