Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

OSheaman posted:

So it looks like I can get either the Sony Z3v or the Moto X 2014 for $100 with a two year contract with Verizon, and I'm back and forth between the two. Assuming that I trust Sony to release Lollipop before too long, and aesthetics aren't too too important for me, is there any other reason to get the Moto X over the Z3v? It seems like the Sony is superior in most specs.

Z3v is actually just a rebadged Z2. Moto X is probably a better choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Lollipop is the first time you should be hoping your phone doesn't get updated.

Just today I wished my N5 had stayed on KitKat because lollipop (5.0.1) has been poo poo. Looks great but still feels like it has a big memory issue.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Guillermus posted:

I'm left handed so the back button being on the right side is more comfortable for me.

Have you ever considered that perhaps you are wrong handed?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Deep Winter posted:

I'm holding my Galaxy S5 (in a Trident case) in my right hand, and notice that I literally can't reach the multi window (left side) and how very easy it is to press the right button. After testing that, I smile to myself, knowing that, no, I'm not crazy, and this thread's hate for Samsung is crazy and uncalled for. Carry on your frothing rage, though.

The phone is too big you see, that's why you can't reach.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Is the newest version of maps hosed up or something? Every time I say "OK Google navigate to xxx" it brings up the map and then just sits there with the arrow not moving and not saying anything.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Allaniis posted:

Off contract. It'd be crazy to buy one on a contract.

It's currently on sale at Best Buy. 32GB/Blue

Seems okay. Just note its getting near 2 years old now.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Looks like my next phone purchase wille coming from Amazon for about $300 or so. Doors Amazon have phone sales or an I stuck with that horrible Fire Phone?

Outside of a few select phones (Moto G series) Amazon tends to be pretty expensive when it comes to off-contract phones. So make sure you do your homework when looking for one at a good price.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

r0ck0 posted:

I noticed that hangouts voicemail will play the message via the speaker instead of the headset. WTF!? There is no option to change it either. How does anyone put up with this?

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/hangouts/segifVIj8_I

Who gets voice mails? Certainly no one at Google.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

dphi posted:

I am on Sprint. I don't have any complaints on cell service or data speeds here in Portland, and Sprint is the only carrier that works reliably in the building I work.

Since the new phone is for your wife and not you maybe she would be better served with another mvno that allows the use of unlocked phones and is not limited by Sprint.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Hace posted:

Or you could be a 4K pioneer!

e: oh god we're going to get a 4K phone this year aren't we

gently caress battery life. Give me a screen with more pixels than my eyes can even discern!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Nope, wrong one. This model only supports Verizon LTE and 3G on AT&T which, while an upgrade from Sprint 2G, you're losing out on potentially faster speeds by not supporting LTE.

Captain Yossarian posted:

Thanks! If I'm reading that right, is that version compatible on Verizon AND AT&T (gsm)? Sorry for all the questions! I can trouble shoot a PC all day but I am flying blind with phones...

You don't want that one on Cricket, it only has Verizon LTE.

You want the XT1058 model that supports AT&T LTE bands, also only $200 (but sadly only 16GB and white, look harder maybe you can find a black one or 32GB).

SB35 fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 19, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I posted earlier in this thread about the notification LED being broken on Samsung Galaxy S5 phones on Sprint. This issue can't be fixed because Samsung's update disabled the LED light. What dummies. Sprint says it's a known issue that is being worked out.

Samsung'd!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

New thread title owns.

It does own, I know the pain first-hand.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Was hoping to fastboot install 5.1 tonight, and then I realized that I had never unlocked the RMA replacement I got a few months ago. Now I gotta wait for the OTA :smithicide:

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Yeah, this, what is your carrier? If you had a modern ATT or VZW plan you can just add the like for $15-25/month. Then just get a MotoE, if you only use their email app and set it to sync every fifteen minutes or whatever, and don't have anything else on it, I could see the battery lasting a couple days. Also, in your scenario of camping, you must be bringing a bag of some sort. Just keep a few spare batteries. Palm slap a battery in, and you'll be golden.

Who has a phone with swappable batteries anymore? How about a gently caress off huge 10,000mah battery pack?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

myron cope posted:

I locked the bootloader afterward, not sure if I should have.

No, you probably shouldn't have.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay. I'm on T-Mobile, I'm looking at a last-gen phone. <300 used, so far I've been looking at an older HTC one, LG g2, or galaxy s4. Less so the s4, my work s4 is scratched to hell after 8 months. I like that the g2 has a gorilla glass screen, but I'm worried about the non-replaceable battery on a used phone, I don't know how well it's been treated. Durability and battery life are most important to me. Less so body durability because I'll probably get a case for whatever phone I decide on.

Go to eBay and buy a brand new 2013 moto X for like $215.

I'm on mobile or I'd link you. Maybe some goon will.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Variable_H posted:

Am I the only one who finds Marques Brownlee to be an insufferable shithead? Same for that Aaron kid he's buddies with.

Him and Erica both.

Variable_H posted:

And MKBHD comes off to me as some super rich-as-gently caress college kid who blows all kinds of money on doing "tech reviews" where the end result of every one is that it's a pretty good phone!

I guess he's making money now but back then was he spending his "hard earned allowance" on all this poo poo or what?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Red Warrior posted:

In other deals it looks like if you buy a Moto X 2 direct from Motorola right now you get a free Moto E 2nd Gen 3G https://www.motorola.com/us/motorola-shop-all-sale.html

This buy one, get a free one deal is neat and all but what am I gonna do with two phones? It's not exactly useful.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Hace posted:

A backup phone/phone for a friend or family member?

That's the obvious answer but most of us know it'll probably just sit in a drawer. It's like buying a Corvette and then they throw in a Chevy Spark for free.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

New Leaf posted:

The online quote thing where you upload your bill said it would drop it a ton. We're phone junkies but not data power-users. We're on like 2 gigs of shared data on Verizon and we've never come close to going over. Even with the basic 2-line family plan we're spending like $150 a month. Sprint claims they can do something like $58 before taxes and fees, which is insane. I didn't read all the fine print though.

Also, we're in NC, if it matters. Sprint coverage is pretty inclusive here.

You could go Cricket prepaid and be paying $35/Mo for unlimited talk/text and 2.5gb of data on AT&T's network. That's taxes and fees included. But that's getting into carrier talk, come to the prepaid thread if you wanna discuss.

As far as phones, the N6 and iPhone 6 are the best for moving from carrier to carrier.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 23, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Variable_H posted:

T-Mobile will pay for any kind of termination fees or phone installment charges you have left if you switch to them. Basically, they will pay you to switch to them.

You need to trade in a phone (any junker will do if it powers on) and you need to buy a phone from them, which is okay too for most phones. Also requires a simple choice plan, not prepaid but reasonable.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

actionjackson posted:

I lost my Nexus 4 (dropped it into a Danish harbor!) while on vacation. I was just going to get the Nexus 5, though that appears to be only available from Amazon. There's a 32 GB version for sale with 4G ($500) and without 4G in the US ($380). Is it a big deal whether I have this or not? I don't use much data as it is.

If you like cheap phones I just saw the LG G2 was on sale on eBay for $190 new in the box. It's basically the N5 hardware wise.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-G2-Latest-Model-32GB-GSM-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone-Brand-New/171569243169

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Kinda a "service" question as well as an android question- looking at the Zenfone 2s on ebay that have 4g LTE on 2100/11900/1800/1700mhz AWS/850/900/700. Would that work on AT&T/Cricket? Can someone easily explain how these bands work? I can't find an easy explanation.. (Or I dont know where to look? :()

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Make sure you know exactly which model Zenphone2 it is. There seems to be several different sub models.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Yeah I was pulling my hair out trying to understand WHY I would want more then one Sim if I could just reuse the same one. Do you know how it works if I buy a phone direct from Cricket? They made it sound like I would NEED a new Sim card if I bought direct since it seems they want to activate it immediately before shipping.

If you already have an account on cricket, then you won't qualify for the rebate so then the phone won't be free.

If you're starting a new line of service the phone will actually come with a SIM card, then you can just use a SIM card adapter in order to move that SIM into any other phone. The SIM card won't be activated until you receive it, and there is no need to activate it when switching phones.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

update the IMEI/MEID seems easy enough.

No need for this. Just swap Sim cards.

You do know you don't qualify for the rebate unless you buy a new line with it, right?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

PerpetualSelf posted:

I'm loving pissed that there are really few high quality Android phones out there anymore. Even the high quality phones are glass. And I hate glass.

HTC continued fuckups in the Metal department has pissed me of to no end. There's onlly one metal phones out there with decent camera: the Huawei Ascend Mate 7. But you can't buy it from any carrier.

No real nerd this day in age buys from a carrier. Prepaid carrier and buying unlocked phones is the new way to roll.

Cultural Imperial posted:

OK now that I've established that Facebook is killing my battery, exactly what does the battery activity app tell me, especially when Facebook didn't even register? Why don't wake locks incur a battery usage on that app meter?

It tells you you're imagining things and suffering from a confirmation bias, apparently Facebook isn't killing your battery and you just want to think it does it.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 14, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is never a bad thing. ISP DNSes are the worst. Not the least reason being that they will redirect you to their own search resources when you fat-finger a domain name.

Agreed. Google has their own DNS

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Variable_H posted:

I'm guessing this is less than optimal. Not entirely sure how to read this.

Time to try a new charger because it should be at least 400ma

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

dissss posted:

Ugh - trying to deal with a Huawei G630 my mate has just bought and it only has 1GB of space in which to install apps.

This is completely unworkable and just crazy on a device (even a low end one) that was released in 2014.

Uh yeah, take that poo poo back if you can because that's unusable.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

xcore posted:

My wife's phone has gone to poo poo. She has a case and hasn't dropped her phone but the screen has wigged out.

She got the screen replaced about 5 months ago (from dropping it) from an authorised repair centre. Can someone with more knowledge of phone tech diagnose whether this is due to a faulty screen or a faulty phone?

If it is a faulty screen, does that make it likely she can get it replaced again on warranty?

Really, she didn't drop if? What phone is this? She should probably go back to that authorized repair center as screens shouldn't "wiggle out" if they were installed correctly and not dropped.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

EvilElmo posted:

Yay. I got a new phone finally! My battery now lasts a day! Samsung S6. Now to pretty it up.

Step 1: Change system font to comic sans
Step 2: Bask in the glory
Step 3: Never post a screenshot in here for fear of ridicule

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Don Lapre posted:

Saw a ridiculously good looking fake s6 tonight. Like, amazing. I actually turned it down, checked it out again, and then called the guy again later. Only a few incorrect things in settings and stuff gave it away and a bum serial number and imei. The IMEI actually checked clean. Didnt know until i googled it it was on other fake s6's

:justpost: so everyone knows

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Thufir posted:

So I ordered a 1st gen Moto X from this listing http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTZUUP2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=od_aui_detailpages00 which was supposed the be factory unlocked GSM. The phone that arrived is a Verizon branded XT1060. Is this going to not work on GSM networks or otherwise be lovely?

Your Verizon moto x is unlocked, but you'll only get 3G (HSPA) because it only supports Verizon's LTE band.

It's really lovely that they pulled that on you. I'd send it back and leave a bad review.

SB35 fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 11, 2015

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Capn Beeb posted:

I've been out of the loop on phones for a while, and I can upgrade to an S5 for free. I'm on an S3 now with US Cellular, is there anything crucial I should know about the 5 before I give in to FREE SHINY GIZMO?

Yeah, if you're going into another 2 year contract free isn't as free as you think.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Require More Fire posted:

Is there any way to get Google Now to track packages if it doesn't pick up on the tracking email? I've got a package I'd like to keep tabs on and the vendor sent me an email with a tracking # and everything, but Now isn't acknowledging it. Honestly nothing I order outside of Amazon stuff gets picked up, really.

Search for the tracking number a couple times. Hopefully Google Now will pick it up.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Did they learn nothing from the flop of the fire phone? Hope they sell unlocked too.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Cool beans, looks like the new Moto G's going to be $180. Definitely more reasonable, so I'm definitely getting one and Craigslisting my Note 4.

I'll probably get one for my fiancee as well so she can finally ditch her beat up Galaxy S3 that she's had since it was brand new.

Wait and see, don't do it unless it has 2gb of RAM. It's not worth the pain one only 1gb.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
No wireless charging OR QuickCharging on the 1+2? No NFC?

But for some reason it has a fingerprint sensor and laser cameras and USB-C. Interesting priorities there guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm really tempted to sell my S6 and get a Moto X! I had the 2013 and it was a loving brilliant phone, but the lack of wireless charging does give some pause.

Speaking of, here's my pug!

Could you ask your pug to smile so I can see where his face is? Thanks.