Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

5.0.2? I didn't even get 5.0.1 yet! Although I'm not seeing (m)any of the bugs that people here report in 5.0, like the redraw and Wifi bugs and whatnot. At least...I don't think I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My Nexus 6 is still on 5.0.0 :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

Is anyone able to get smart lock to work with locations? I'm trying to add my home location but it won't work. Works just fine with my car through blutooth. Setting it with my home address does nothing. Setting it with GPS also does nothing.

I haven't gotten it to work with my home address either. It's a bummer.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

While trusted location hasn't really worked for me (maybe my house is too rural or something? I set it with gps also and that didn't help), trusted bluetooth works 100% of the time, it's great

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I love the Nexus 6. Coming from the Nexus 4 it was a huge improvement. I haven't had any problems with Lollipop aside from the smart lock not working at my house. No wifi issues, no screen redraw memory leaks, no dialer issues.

It almost seems small. Not sure how I used the N4 looking at it now. I remember getting the N4 to replace an iPhone 4S and thinking how huge it was.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

I, too, have a Nexus 6. I was all set to buy a Moto X 2014 64GB, but when I saw that I could get a bigger phone, with wireless charging, for an extra $50, I figured it was a no brainer for me.

Although, I gotta say - I hardly use the wireless charging - turbo charging is NUTS, and it's completely replaced and sort of conventional charging. Battery easily lasts a day and a half and I get about 4-5 hours of screen-on-time until it's dead. Screen brightness is at 50%, yadda yadda anecdotal data yadda.

Yeah I have a vu that I got for Christmas and I use it to charge while going to sleep, but turbo charging is some next level wizardry. The phone gets super hot though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

I've read that turbo charging is actually super bad for the battery so it's probably best to not use it unless you really need it.

Who says this? I can't imagine that companies would knowingly include turbo charging if it was harmful without at least a warning to use it sparingly. Maybe I'm crazy though

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Turnquiet posted:

Trusted locations on my Nexus 6 has been bullet proof. Maybe all you people having problems should define some places in google maps and then use them as your trusted locales.

Yeah this is what I did first and it didnt work there, that's when I tried to use a gps location

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Smart lock now actually works with my house set via gps. I'm not sure if it's the 5.0.1 update that fixed it or they did a play services update or what, but it definitely wasn't working before and now does. So I think that was my only lollipop complaint and now it's fixed.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BoyBlunder posted:

Also, Moto X has the following:

• Lollipop - the S5 won't see this until summer probably

Which according to this thread is a huge, huge downside.

I've had no/minimal problems and I think Lollipop is great.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Desk Lamp posted:

Facebook Messenger alternates between smooth sailing and bringing even the most powerful of phones to its knees on a weekly basis. Only fix I know of is either getting rid of it, or waiting for them to get their poo poo together. It's being fixed supposedly, but I've heard that before.

I think what makes me angriest about facebook messenger is how their updates don't actually say what is fixed/changed, it's just some BS about "constantly improving" or whatever

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I found a weird nexus 6 thing! It sometimes... Reboots? Except it doesn't. The at&t jingle/boot sound plays out of nowhere (it's happened.. 3 times and all 3 the phone has just been sitting). When I check it, the screen is black and won't come on. I hold down the power button and it starts booting. Not sure what it's doing.

Completely different subject, but turbo charging is goddamn amazing. If you are looking to buy a new phone and it doesn't have turbo charging you should probably look at a different phone. It's seriously amazing.

hotsauce posted:

(ya'll may be happy to learn I've moved on from the griptape stunt...)

Moved on to what?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

My phone seems to have stopped rebooting. I guess it was an app causing it. Probably goddamned Facebook.

I've been using Action Launcher 3 again. My biggest complaint before was no Google now instant access but I just use the classic swipe up from home and it works fine.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

quote:

High Definition voice calling is now on your mobile phone. Get crystal clear calling with HD Voice between compatible Android 5.1 devices like the Nexus 6 on T-Mobile or Verizon.
Does AT&T not do "HD Voice" which I assume is VoLTE? Or are those different things?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I've never flashed any images, despite having a nexus 4 and now nexus 6. My phone has been randomly rebooting, so I was going to do a factory reset. Would flashing 5.1 accomplish the same thing? Might as well kill two birds with one stone...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I flashed 5.1 with no prior experience. The flash-all script kept failing and saying no system.img but I found an android police article that had a walk through of flashing each part individually and it worked like a champ. I did it clean so now I'm setting this up again. All-in-all it took maybe.. 20 minutes? And that includes downloading the sdk and whatnot too.

I locked the bootloader afterward, not sure if I should have.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It means that next update that comes you'll be erasing everything all over again if you want to go the same route. Of course there's no reason you can't just wait for the OTA as long as you don't root (which you also can't do without wiping now if you didn't flash a recovery before relocking).

Yeah I'm not sure I'll flash the next update, I'll probably just wait for OTA--this was just something to try since I needed a factory reset anyway. I'm not interested in root either, so that's fine.

It was super easy though.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's too early for me to know for sure but so far 5.1 seems like a great release. I don't know that I had too many problems on 5.0.x but this seems really smooth and fast

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

peepsalot posted:

Just curious if my phone is the only one that says "E-use" instead of "use" during google maps turn by turn directions. Sounds weird.

I just noticed that today and it was very weird. It also wasn't every time either, which was even weirder...

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm having a weird issue with the Hangouts app that I'm wondering if I'm alone in. I have many conversations that from the main page state a last activity date of something like Feb 9, for example. Yet that's not accurate, if I go into the conversation, the last message was say March 15. Why is this main view not updating, it's very annoying because it orders conversations by date incorrectly.

Yes I have seen this and it's super weird. I haven't seen it recently but I can't actually remember if there was a Hangouts update that fixed it or if it was fixed when I wiped for/flashed 5.1

It's super annoying because as you say, the ordering changes. I'd look for a text that I KNOW I just got and it wouldn't be there. Some wouldn't be in the list at all and I'd have to compose a new message to even see the old ones...

Sorry this isn't actually helpful but I've definitely seen it

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

actionjackson posted:

So since I can't use betterbatterystats on my 5.0.2 moto, any suggestions on apps to disable? I've already disabled quite a few (below). Also should I turn off notifications for all my apps?

Disabled:

android live wallpapers
at&t (everything)
daydreams
cloud print
drive
email
google (contacts sync, keyboard, init, setup, pinyin input, play books, play games, play movies and tv, play newsstand, text-to-speech, google+)
hangouts
hp print
motorola migrate
motorola spotlight
music visualization walllpapers
my at&t
softcard
talkback
YP

Do you have Facebook and/or Facebook Messenger? Those usually suck.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Eejit posted:

Kinda stuck on what to do. Seems like my options are S6 and suck it up, wait and see if the G4 is worth it, or go phablet with the Nexus 6, but not sure if the less powerful hardware is worth it. Any advice on what seems logical? All considering that I can't really afford not to have something that doesn't go through AT&T.

Get a Nexus 6, the "less powerful hardware" is fine. It really is an awesome phone. People are still recommending a 2013 Moto X, which even at the time had "less powerful hardware" and is still good today.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Arriviste posted:

Aye. I have Tasker and Gleeo Automagic running almost constantly with GPS enabled. I do multiple freelance gigs and am bad about logging time, so I use location-, and/or network-, and/or time of day-based flows to keep track. Eventually, I'm going to streamline the process with ubiquitous NFC tags at routine locations and/or on my gear.

I made a pen mod stylus, so I have the stylus mode set to always on so the built-in one stays in the phone but still allows me to use my other. Twilight app keeps me sane, but I suspect it's another battery thief, too.

Not a Facebook user, but I probably have some other apps here and there (I'm looking at you, Awful) which are sapping precious juice, too. I carry a Motorola Power Pack, just in case.

e: grammar

I think Tasker alone with GPS always on will murder your battery right good

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

In that touchwiz screenshot, why is there a "power saver" in one part of the drop down and then right below it a "u. power saver"? "Ultra" power saver? Does it make the phone even less usable?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Ragingsheep posted:

Ultra powersaver turns your screen to greyscale and limits the apps available. It's for when you just really need to save power but still be in contact.

What does regular power save do, just turn off syncing and whatnot?

As lovely as most Samsung things are, at least they try things?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Since we're talking about Qi charging, one time (I think only once) I put my phone on my Tylt Vu for charging overnight and when I woke up it was super warm and also not charged. Did I just set it down wrong on there? It only happened the once and I charge it every night so I guess it's not defective or anything, but it was kinda strange.

Also, does the cable matter when using quick charge or just the adapter itself? I use the cord that came with the charger for the one I have, but I was looking at that car one linked above and it looks good, I just don't know if the cord matters. I have a "charge only" cord I use right now.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

madkapitolist posted:

Is a quick charge 2.0 charger (18W) worth it? I am using a moto x 2014. I notice that some reviews say they get roughly 1% per minute, but I am already charging that fast a regular charger.

Absolutely. No question. If you have an hour, you have a fully (or almost fully) charged phone. I got my car quick charger today and I'm super pumped to use it. Get one.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

So my car quick charger is here and it's not bad. But I discovered the cable I was using is lovely, since it went in and out a bunch (charging and then not charging). When I used the cord that came with my wall charger it worked fine. The phone gets super hot with it but basically qc of any kind heats up pretty good.

I need a new cord. Any suggestions? There are about 4 million on Amazon alone. Normally I'd just go for a monoprice or Amazon basics or whatever but I don't know with qc if it makes a difference. The Motorola one is nice.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I bought the ringke slim because of this thread, I like it. I had a clear one that I think was spigen but it feels so heavy compared to this one now.

Does anyone use daydreams at all? I am wondering what "docked" is in the settings (for when the daydream activates)

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Eejit posted:

I have the Choetech Stadium 3 coil charger and it has a pretty large sweet spot. Pretty good item as far as I can tell.

I also bought the itain A6 three coil stand on recommendation from this thread and it does not work well with the Nexus 6. Really bad coil whine and it heats up the device, will have to return it.

Hm I bought the itain one too and mine definitely does that (whine + heat). I wonder if it's too late to exchange. I threw the box away for sure though.

myron cope fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 25, 2015

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Will USB C mean faster charging normally? Will there still be "Quick Charge" that will be even quicker with USB C? Basically I love QC and even faster QC would be cool.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Something is hosed, my n6 won't auto rotate. I've also noticed it's now taking pictures sideways that should be portrait. Is there any way I can force it? I downloaded an app that controls rotation and it will force rotation, but it won't rotate on its own anymore. Could this be a gyroscope problem? I've rebooted and it didn't help

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

LastInLine posted:

You did check that auto-rotation is enabled in the notification shade, correct?

Yeah it's enabled. I've toggled it back and forth a few times too

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I put in for warranty advance exchange of my Nexus 6 since it wasn't rotating. It should get here tomorrow.

I dropped it this morning. It rotates. :negative:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

hooah posted:

For some reason, Google Now has started telling me that it doesn't have any apps to open URLs. I've tried clearing the defaults for Firefox, but to no avail. What else can I try?

This happened to me too, with Wikipedia links specifically (although I have noticed it for other things). I've tried clearing defaults of chrome, Wikipedia beta and Google search (well, that one didn't have any defaults). Maybe it's a bug with Google search?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

It's kinda baffling that active display doesn't work on the nexus 6. I am aware lollipop has its own take on it but I want to at least try the Motorola version.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

nimper posted:

How is it baffling that a stock Android phone doesn't support a custom software solution?

Well maybe not "baffling". But it's an app available in the app store made by Motorola, it would seem like my Motorola phone should be able to run it.

Really I just think their solution is way better, and I wish I could use it. :(

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I flashed to Marshmallow and it seems...a lot like lollipop. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing, but I had to go to about phone to be 100% sure it actually upgraded.

I was looking through the Ars review of Marshmallow and it talked about "doze" and that sounds cool and all, but will the phone still work? Text messages? Emails? I can't really have my phone not working just because I haven't picked it up in a while. I'm assuming it would exclude at least the first two, but who knows with Google. If it's just sleeping Facebook and other dumb poo poo then great.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

BottleKnight posted:

I don't think they're planning on massively compromising usability for the sake of battery life, no.

I would hope so, but we've seen countless examples of Google doing seemingly random, dumb poo poo for the sake of... :confused:

And I saw the other part of the review but I was waiting for "of course, the phone, text messages and alarms will be high priority" Like I said I'm fairly sure that Google would set it up this way, but I haven't seen it for sure anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FunOne posted:

Well, for one, the way that phone calls and standard text messages are received mean there isn't really a go-and-check-for-it process. You'd have to program the phone to actively ignore signals from the cellular network to wake the gently caress up.

The doze system is more about shutting down background "hey do you have anything new for me" processes from apps you don't use much. And telling them if they're using GCM to use hi-priority for actual info, else they'll batch them up and wake the phone up less often to process "so and so is offline" kind of items.

OK that's good then, mostly me being a dummo. I still think if there's some crazy thing Google can screw up they will, but at least if I'm on call for work the phone will (probably) still ring.