Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

chrome -> settings -> merge tabs -> off

Oh my god, thanks for this.....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

My N5 is about 2 steps from completely unusable on 5.0.1. So bad that I've been trolling CL and the likes to swoop in on an N6 deal.
- Battery life is horrid
- I have to reboot it every 2 to 3 days so I can have Maps and *gasp* Music going or it will kill one or the other
- App switching after a couple days is glacial. Same with launcher redraws. Oh, sometimes it kills my alarm clock app randomly so I've had to plug in my old HTC Sensation with a shattered screen to use it as an alarm clock.

Just when I thought iOS 7 on my ancient iPhone 4 was the worst mobile experience ever imagined Google pulls this.

I'm experience all the same stuff on my 5.0.1 N5. Most annoying is Google Play Music crapping out on me all the time, and the constant Google Now launcher constantly redrawing. I hope 5.03 or 5.1 come out soon, or I might need to start running custom ROMs again.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

You can block system notifications? Well I'll be damned.

I remember trying this in the past and it didn't work. I't would be nice to see proof that it will work before rolling back. I feel the exact same way as Maker Of Shoes does. Same memory leaks and app crashing, etc.. I'm about to flash a Custom ROM to avoid this all. But I really enjoy the stock experience...if it was working as I expected it to.

I am also off contract, so I could technically go back on contract and get a shiny new phone....But I love my N5 still, if it wasn't for these current issues.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

LastInLine posted:

Now you're making me doubt myself. I know GravityBox has a block notification feature if you're willing to go that route.

That's how I blocked System Notifications on Kit Kat, was with Xposed and GravityBox or a custom ROM.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

WugLyfe posted:

Nexus 5 has been a champ today on 5.1. Only down 12% with music listening since 10:30EST

Glad the battery isn't failing, it was just 5.0.1!

Thanks for confirming. Time to dirty flash 5.1 instead of this custom 5.0.2 ROM that I've been running for a few days.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

I lurk a whole lot in this thread, don't contribute too much, but this image sure does sum up this thread. Well done.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, up in Canada, the Moto X Pure isn't an option, but the Moto X Play is. And it seems a bit scaled down compared to the Pure:
5.5" instead of 5.7"
SD 615 instead of the SD 808
2 GB RAM instead of 3 GB RAM (not as thrilled about this)
3630 mAh battery instead of 3000 mAh (this I like)
No Smartboost speakers, but front facing at least.

I had my eye on the Pure, but since it's not available, would the Play be just as good?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Rastor posted:

These two posts got missed, I think.

Goons do not approve of the Snapdragon 615 (Moto X Play) or 810 (Xperia Z5) chips because they waste power / dump heat, especially the 810. There are widespread reports of disappointing performance on the X Play, believed to be due to the choice of SD 615 chip. And with the way that chip wastes power, don't expect the battery life you would hope for with that large battery.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I'm so glad I posted here first. I do remember reading about that chipset, so thank you for the reminder. As I currently have a Nexus 5, I guess I'll hope and pray that the Pure gets released up here eventually. I could obviously wait and see about a new Nexus, but I really want to play with the Moto features while still getting a "near stock" experience.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I fully admit to skipping 73 pages of "ordered and shipping on saturtuesday of junetober" but is there any indication they'll OTA devices that are already on the M preview? If I have to lose my Fallout Shelter progress because it doesn't have cloud saving and Helium works when it loving wants to I will cry big fat crocodile tears.

I believe someone already posted that if you ahve the M Preview, you will need to flash the stable build and it will not be OTA'd.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

After flashing Android 6.0 to my Nexus 5, I noticed something in Hangouts. Previously I had all of my Hangouts and SMS conversations in one view. Now, SMS and Hangouts conversations have separate views and I have to keep toggling back and forth. I even have the "Enable merged conversations" checked off.

Any ideas? Or is this expected?

Edit: NM, I found the issue, Under my SMS settings I had SMS as my default messaging account. Changing it to my Google account fixed this and properly merged conversations.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 15, 2015

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Red Warrior posted:

Android Police have put up their initial impressions of the 5X and 6P also:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-5x-review-preview-plastic-fantastic/
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/10/19/nexus-6p-review-preview-so-far-its-everything-id-hoped/

Reading these and the Ars reviews, man I'm really excited to get my 5X now. Holy poo poo we're actually getting good cameras and stuff at reasonable prices on Nexuses?

I have a Nexus 5 now and kind of want a new phone. Is only 2MB in the 5X anything to be concerned about? None of the reviews seem to even comment about it, but it's the main point that has kept me from pre-ordering.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

repiv posted:

Is it a problem for you now? The N5 has the same amount of RAM, same screen resolution and same Android version, so multitasking performance should be more or less identical on the N5X.

The N5 on Android 6.0 seems better, but prior to flashing, I was getting constant home screen redrawing and occasional app slowness. Right now, it seems pretty snappy. Overall I'm really happy with the N5, so I am actual content with it. Just the geek in me wants to try something newer and better. I guess I could shell out the extra cash for the 6P, as size doesn't matter to me. Honestly, I really really wanted the Pure, but it's not available in Canada. SO now I'm trying to figure out if I should get something else, or just stick the my N5.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

We really need a Google Services thread or something.

I'll ask this here: has anyone tried using Google Alerts to find out when an artist has released an album or single on GPMAA? I'll read about a new release, go to find it on GPMAA, find that it's not on there yet, and then promptly forget about it ever again. Today I thought about setting up a Google Alert, but I'm not sure how often new releases get mentioned on places that Google Alert indexes...

If you find an answer to this, please share as I would like to know this too.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

5436 posted:

Did the Beta (Android O) for my Nexus 6p. It made the phone unusable. It become unbearably slow. I then dropped my phone in a bunch of water and it became literally unusable. Ordered a used Pixel XL 128GB....is getting the daydream vr (used) worth it?

I've been in the beta for some time as well. I've begun to really dislike my 6P. Super slow, and I guess it's related to the beta. RAM being the biggest issue on top of the slowness. Apps getting kicked out of RAM and redrawing, or releaunching is super annnoying, especially when it was great before. I'm gonna flash back and opt out of the beta (if that's even possible). But what I don't want to do is flash custom. I've remained unrooted for this long, and I'd rather not go down that route. Or I just deal with it until Xmas, when my contract is up and I get something different.

I;ve been a Nexus user for years, I'm thinking about going down the OEM route next time. I used to be heavy into rooting and custom ROMS, but I've since lost interest. Now I just want a fast usable phone, with a somewhat decent UI. Has Samsung improved on their lovely lime green and blue UI?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

3.6 GB RAM? Seems odd. What phone has the most RAM out there now?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

6GB/month is absurdly high in Canada haha, that would cost $100+ here unless you're lucky enough to be on a grandfathered plan.

I'm with Rogers in Manitoba, mine is closer to $70 with a 6 GB plan, and I actually pay less than $55 after taxes and corporate 30% discount through work.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

So, my Nexus 6P, which was subsidized through my carrier (Rogers) is going through that horrible battery issue, powering off at like 60% battery and poo poo like that. Not to mention it just feels slow as hell (compared to when it was new). My contract is up on Boxing day, but I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Money is a bit of an issue, so I would definitely want to subsidize again. It would cost just under $50 to get out of the contract now, as opposed to waiting.

I guess my question is.....I'm debating if I should wait until Black Friday deals next month or Boxing day deals to see what deals are available (looking at Pixel 2 (XL), LG V30, or the S8 (+)), or just go and get the 0$ down OG Pixel XL right now and pay the $50 to get out of my contract. The OG Pixel XL will last me another 2 years without much issues right? I'm so used to getting a "this year" phone when getting a new phone that my insides are screaming to just wait it out another month or 2. But dealing with this lovely battery problem and carrying a battery pack with me wherever I go is getting old real fast.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

You could also check with Google Support, see if they will do anything for you since it is a super common issue.

Or go to a repair shop and have them swap the battery. Once you do that and if you feel up to it, do a full hard reset, (if you didn't after getting Oreo this would be a good idea) it should feel as fast as it was new.

Tried the Google support already, along with many others, they were not able to provide additional support unless it was purchased through the Play Store (where they were RMA'ing with brand new Pixel XLs).

I have done hard resets before updating to Oreo, but haven't since...I'll do that again. Don't think Ill spend any money on replacing the battery though....this thing doesn't deserve more of my money.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

EdEddnEddy posted:

I know it might sound like voodoo but one thing I tried with my 6P that had that issue, was flash the original 6.0.0 OS image directly from Google to the device using ADB and the easy batch file FlashAll.bat that's in the package, load it up and run the battery from full to empty. Then recharge and flash the latest OS image.

While it sounds goofy, it did semi fix mine at the time from shutting down until like 2% where before it was as bad as the 20~% range.

It still sent that one back due to the speakerphone mic not working.

Definitely worth a try. Flashing 6.0.0 now.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

I didn't realize how bad my Nexus 6P battery was until it started shutting off at 15%. On October 7th, I called Google and asked them if they could do anything about it, not even bringing up the Pixel replacement until she'd already started the replacement process. I said something like "So I heard you're replacing these with Pixels sometimes?" and she told me to check my email, because sometimes it's another Nexus and sometimes it's a Pixel. Turned out, I was getting a Pixel. It's a massive improvement in battery life, speed, and display.

So it can't hurt to call and ask. I think they're just trained now to not outright promise a Pixel replacement upfront to stop people from getting a free phone upgrade just because Reddit told them the right things to say they were having issues with.

Did you buy your 6P from Google, or subsidize through a carrier?

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

BJPaskoff posted:

Through Google.

Figured....trying to find a success story when purchased through a carrier.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Lol get over yourself, I'm not American and probably have a shittier data plan than you, and I don't even have wifi at work. 64GB is MORE than enough for pinned music. Or, suck it the gently caress up and get the 128GB version if you're somehow a snowflake beyond that.

Also not American and 32 GB has been the most storage I've ever had on a phone and has been more than enough. I also store at least 10 GB of music on my phone.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Does 6P even have 8 yet?

Edit... maybe it's cause I'm rooted... maybe not though

I got 8 on my N6P. But maybe it was because I was opted into the beta?
Having said that, after recent battery problems I unlocked my bootloader for the first time, manually flashed back to 6.0.0 via ADB, then manually flashed 8 via ADB. Battery problems still exist, but the 8 image was up for download.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Munkaboo posted:

Looks like the case I picked out with no reviews turned out to be pretty great: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07474WTCG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

While mine is for an S8+, I absolutely love my Spigen Neo Hybrid Case. It's a solid case. And that Herringbone design for the TPU is really sleek looking and feels good in the hand.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

clamiam45 posted:

I like the fingerprint placement on the Galaxy S8+ more, but it's not a huge difference.

Coming from a N6P to a S8+, I definitely prefer the finger print scanner in the back center, but it's not nearly as bad as I thought it might be where it is. I just wish is was a bit more circular.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Anyone else with an S8+ get the One UI Android 9 update and full screen apps is broken for like everything? The UI itself seems cleaner, but losing full screen is annoying, since I'm so used to swiping up my Navigation bar to hit home and back, etc...

I also had a Theme, that doesn't work with night mode either. Hopefully it gets fixed eventually. Though night mode looks better than the dark theme I was using, but miss the icons from that theme.

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Try going into multi task view and tapping the app icon then hitting change aspect ratio. That's how it works in the same ui on an s10 so I'm guessing it's on the older phones too

No aspect ratio option. I get
- App info
- Open in split screen view
- Open in pop up view
- Lock app

Edit: Got it to work, but not the way I wanted. I can use gestures in full screen now, but the auto hide feature is gone now, it's just gesture once, instead of gesture to bring the navigation bar up, then hitting back or home or multi task view. Now it's just a single gesture for any of those. Will take some getting used to, but at least full screen is working.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

See if this samsung app does anything for you, you might be able to map out the nav bar gesture to behave like you're used to. It's also kinda nice to have a swipe left to go back gesture when you're not near the back arrow in an app.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.samsung.android.sidegesturepad

The nav bar stuff might be buried in the other app they put out, good lock...

I'm with you on it being jarring at first not having auto hide but once you can customize how the gestures work and the areas it's actually nice being in "full screen" all the time for reading and whatnot. It's a quicker transistion then you'd think..

Not having a notification LED, not so much

The only thing I'm missing is the swipe up to bring the navigation bar up, then I could hit back repeatedly to go back. I love full screen mode, and have for nearly 2 years. Now I can single swipe up to go back, but can't keep tapping it, I have to keep swiping up to go back multiple times. Or lose the full screen mode.

I'll adjust eventually, as I want full screen mode more than I want the ability to hit back multiple times.

Everything else about the One UI so far, I like. It's cleaner and the night mode is exactly what I'd want, without having to install a theme.