Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

lostleaf posted:

Crap anyone got any recommendations? I'll have to buy 3 of them (one for the car, one for the bag, one at my desk)

The Apple one is supposed to be good, and only like $9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

other gripes:
the big buttons in the quick settings menu means i get fewer of them, and now that google pay doesn't come up from the power button, i need to spend another one of them on that.

Serious question, why are people opening GPay so frequently that this is a concern?

e; v I forgot it did club cards and stuff, that makes sense.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 3, 2021

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Did Google not make the Sorta Sunny Pro with any higher storage options at all, or what?

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Marinmo posted:

People with Pixel knowledge, I still hate my OP7T but realized the 5A is about the same size and I'd really rather have a smaller phone. Enter the Pixel 5. One less year of guaranteed software updates though, does it really just end in October 2023 or what has been the track record on still receiving updates after the official last date? I'm guessing no dice but never hurts to ask.

I have a Pixel 3, for which update support officially ended this past... October? Whenever Android 12 rolled out. The update to 12 was the last monthly update I've received. I did get a security update yesterday, which there was talk about it getting one more update to fix bugs from the new version, so maybe that's what that was.

Otherwise I'm not expecting any more official updates. I'm basically just waiting until the free original quality photo uploads ends next month, then figuring out if I want to move up to a 6.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I like gesture nav almost entirely because I can be really inaccurate with the back gesture, which works basically anywhere along each side of the screen, instead of having to hit a button at the bottom corner each time. That plus the extra screen real estate makes it the best.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

withoutclass posted:

Yes right. I use Boost for Reddit for example and have never seen this issue. I have a Pixel 6 on the latest patch.

I see it with another third party Reddit app (rif), though I'm wallowing on a Pixel 3. It has seen 2 subsequent updates since the upgrade to 12 and the behavior hasn't been corrected. Either a weird occasional bug or some hosed up A/B test.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

codo27 posted:

Thats definitely the best looking phone ever.

Phone looks nice but its like tech startup bingo on their social media, haha. I wonder if there's any substance at all behind the privacy hashtags. I guess let's see what the reviews look like in 8 or 9 months.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Hadlock posted:

How do I resize the 14-20mb photos my pixel camera takes, so I can get them under 4mb for email etc. I can crop them in the official photos app and sometimes it strips the motion data but most of the time I just go from a 18mb photo to a cropped 12mb photo

I use a small app called ImageShrink, it's a share option from Photos and just asks you what size you want to resize to (in pixel dimension), does the dew, and pops another share list to send it on to email or whatever. It strips metadata and most likely motion so if that's important then it probably isn't for you. Lite version does one at a time, or spend :fivecbux: for batch ops.

e; I just looked at the settings and you can choose to keep metadata and even set a default size/quality so it just blips past on your way to email.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Apr 28, 2022

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The Pixels don't support straight video out via USB-C, you can either cast to a Chromecast or there are specific docks that support another form of projection according to a quick search (using some DisplayLink app??). I think the Fire tablet has the same limitation, no USB-C alt mode.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Pre-ordered a 6A for my wife, trading in her 3A for an estimated $300. Won't be able to get anywhere near that much for that phone any time in the future (plus it's EOL as of this month anyway), might as well go for it.

I'm just really annoyed that my 3 died a month or two ago and I couldn't take advantage of this as well.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Anyone know how long the 6a deal is running for? Was there an end date?
I'm trying to NOT update my 4a (spare phone) but also they'd give me $300 trade in + headphones. The deal is hard to pass up and i need to know how long i need to hold out for.

Tomorrow, I think.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

The Grumbles posted:

There's getting annoyed and then there's writing a long and angry rant and maybe the minor inconvenience of smartphone technology not working well when your hands are wet are not worth the latter is what I'm saying

Anyway can anyone recommend a good and super thin Pixel 6 case? I've bought a couple of cases but they're just thick enough where it makes it feel a lot less comfortable to use than if it's naked. I don't need for it to be too well protected

I went with this style of case for the last several phones for a very minimal feel. It's basically a super thin hard shell with a matte coating. Can't vouch for this brand specifically but they're usually very inexpensive in general. I've gone with a dbrand skin on the back for a while now which is even more slim. Basically just enough protection to not be worried about scratches from setting the phone down wherever.

https://www.amazon.com/Arkour-Compatible-Ultra-Thin-Lightweight-Protective/dp/B09J58HFNV

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Got it yesterday on my 5 by just checking for updates. Also not in beta.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

El Grillo posted:

What charger should I get for my Pixel 6. That might sound like a dumb question but I'm not sure what the cable was that came with it (do you need a special cable to get 30w charging? The charging certainly seems slow compared to my old pixel 2 lol) and I don't know if I can just buy any old USB C wall plug from amazon which says 30w in the advert.

Anker is regularly recommended. Their Nano II series has 30W, 45W and 65W options that are all very compact. I think up to 60W charging you can use pretty much any modern USB-C cable. Charging at 65W+ requires the special higher wattage cable.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
At this point I've had some kind of major issue with 2 different Nexus phone (5 - stuck power button, and 6P - boot loop), and 2 different Pixels (2 - EOL update hosed up compatibility with my carrier, and 3 - EDL mode brick). I've received restitution for 2 of the 4 issues, with a replacement 6P sent out of normal warranty, and a new 3aXL sent by the carrier to replace the Pixel 2.

The Pixel 3 irks me the most because it seems like they've taken to just hand-waving the design/component flaw as "normal component lifespan" bullshit instead of trying to make things right. Memory components being expected to die within 3 years is just... crazy to me. I still have it just in case something develops.

I bought a Pixel 5 to replace it because no other options were as appealing at the moment for the price. Seems like the only other phoned this size would be an iPhone or a Galaxy S22, both like twice the price I paid for the 5. Not sure where I'll go when this phone inevitably eats it.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Captain Yossarian posted:

How does the Pixel trade-in actually work? Google looks like they are offering like ~$325 for my 4xl towards a 7. Do they charge the full amount up front or charge the pixel 7-$325 and hope I mail it in to them?

Edit: apologies if this has been asked before, my app is being weird

You pay full price, mail them your old phone (they'll send a small box with a return label), and if it matches the description you get the trade in amount back on your payment method. You have like a month to send in the old phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

a couple of months ago i tried to see what the trade in for my perfectly functioning, non-damaged pixel 3a would be, and it was a whopping $65. tried it the other day, and know what it was? a staggering $15 :lmao:

I take it you missed the 6a trade in promo, they gave $300 for it then.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Yup, pretty insane deal. They also gave a free pair of pixel buds with the 6A.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Deathlove posted:

While I make a final decision, the credit on the Google Store just gets credited back to the credit card I use to pay, yes? So it isn't 899 - tradein value over 24 months, it'll be 899 over 24 months, and I'll get a XXX credit when they accept my old phone?

Yeah, the credit is treated as an entirely separate transaction.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's not going to be everything though. I'm really wanting to not lose various pics, etc.

Do you have a replacement screen? From your initial post it seems like you tried to remove the already hosed up screen and... broke it some more? I would just try to hook up a new screen far enough to turn the phone on and operate it enough to move your data off (i.e. don't try to put the hardware all back together, it's toast). That's probably your only real possible path to DYI success. The other option is taking it to a repair shop but that's hardly a guaranteed outcome either.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

butt dickus posted:

yeah i had to manually do google authenticator, signal and gpay. two of these are google products, what the heck. other than that, phone good so far.

I think it's a good thing that highly sensitive things like this should require you to reauth on a new phone. There should be a little bit of inconvenience in those cases.

Google Authenticator makes it really painless to move your entire list of codes now, with the ability to generate a single QR code for everything on the old phone.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Are those dbrand skins just a gimmick or is the protection against scratches and increased grip real?

I have a dbrand leather skin on the back of my Pixel 5 and like it a lot. The P5 isn't super slippery to begin with, but it does provide basic scratch protection. The leather is also weathering nicely if you're into that look. I had one of the printed skins on my Pixel 3 that held up for a year+ without showing really any signs of wear, which was also impressive. They both stay stuck well if you take the time to apply them with a hair dryer and press the edges down.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

deong posted:

Would you mind sending pics of the wear on that leather skin. I've been thinking about getting it (for my steam deck) but I really only see marketing pics.

Difficult to get good photos with the old point and shoot! The skin has been on the phone for about 4 months at this point. The entire skin was closer to the color of the camera module piece when it was new - it's the middle "brown" color. The edges are getting a little burnished, and the color is darkening from handling. Still stuck very well all around the edges, and even in the G logo which still surprises me. It did take a good amount of heating and forming to get it to wrap and stick around the curves.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Google Photos: The other other other chat.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I've had battery anxiety pretty much with most of my smartphones except the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact and the Pixel 5. To various degrees of course.

My Pixel 3 in its second year had me worried about battery life especially on my honeymoon, where we could be out for most of the day snapping photos etc. and it was touch and go to not get home on empty.

Similar thing to my trip to Rome last month with my Pixel 7. Think I might reset it after the next feature drop and see if that makes any difference.

Going from a Pixel 3 to a 5 was noticeable battery anxiety whiplash for me. I was charging my Pixel 3 without fail every night, and it would be at ~25-30% after about 13-14 hours off the charger with moderate use (like no more than an hour and a half SOT). Basically any deviation from my normal day to day routine left me wondering if it would keep up. Right now my 5 has 48% remaining and says it's good for another 20 hours. I started the day (after my drive in plugged into AA) at 70% at 6:15 this morning. With my new slightly longer commute, I might not plug in the 5 at home at all aside from the weekend.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DesperateDan posted:

have looked around a bit but I'm not seeing a repair thread so will ask here:

pixel 3 seems dead, have tried power button, power button + volume down/up combos for over a minute and nothing happens

seems to take a charge wirelessly and by cable but screen remains black

anything else to try?

You can check if it's the EDL mode failure by plugging it into a PC and looking for a new device in Device Manager with something like "QUSB_BULK" in the name. If that's the case, condolences. Happened to mine about 8 months ago. There doesn't seem to be any way to better diagnose or try to fix it aside from spending money at a repair center.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

teethgrinder posted:

I guess the next thing to try is a factory reset unless someone else has an idea.

edit: I'll try getting a new SIM first

You can also try resetting just network settings before a full system reset. I lost mobile only a week or two ago and that restored it. You'll need to re-pair bluetooth stuff and re join wifi networks, etc.

e; this is an option on a Pixel under System>Reset Options, not sure if its a universal Android thing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Would the Zenphone 10 possibly work with Visible (Verizon network)? I think I saw a list somewhere of supported carriers, and recall Verizon/Visible not being on it. It looks like it might have at least some compatible bands though.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

oh no computer posted:

Is there a way to pick which folders are shown in the main ("Photos") tab in Google photos? I've just started using bluesky and if you save an image from there it automatically saves it to the DCIM folder (with no obvious way to change this), but even if I move it to my downloads folder it still shows up on the main screen, whereas other images saved directly to downloads don't. So now I have a bunch of dumb internet pictures mixed in with my photos.

It should only show photos that are synced with the cloud in the main Photos tab. You should be able to turn sync off in any folders with images, under Library->Photos on Device. Downloads is probably already unchecked (not syncing). It's probably syncing the random images before you move them, and deleting them from within the main Photos tab should remove them there (while leaving the copy in Downloads alone).

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

Guess I just have to accept that my next phone will be bigger than I like.

I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be cool with a Pixel 8 or 9 Pro to replace my Pixel 5 when the time comes. I had a Nexus 6P and got "used" to it, but as soon as I replaced it with an OG Pixel it was silly how quickly the Nexus felt enormous again. The P8Pro is the same size as the Nexus, but the screen goes all the way to the top. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
I keep getting this notification on my Pixel 5 for a feature that's only available for Pixel 6 and up (skipping the "hey Google" prompt for certain phrases). If I tap the notification it takes me to a settings page that tells me as much. Yet, it has shown up every day or two for a week. What's my best way to stop seeing it? I can turn off this category of notification ("low priority system notifications" for Assistant) but will that block anything else I might want to see?

Only registered members can see post attachments!