Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilmucche posted:

I don't think using two hands is going to change the fact that flipping wifi on/off now takes two taps and that there are fewer buttons on the pull down menu...

Why are you turning off wifi?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Maybe bad public wifi? I have to stay on data to browse SA at work (blocked by our wifi for some reason), but sometimes my data is spotty here and I need to hop on wifi for something work related, then back off it to browse the forums

There are a lot of maybes I was asking because your situation is exactly why the panel was designed that way according to the link two pages back by blunt and I thought it might apply to ilmucche as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Oh my god what is wrong with some of you with this extreme hyperbole? "the dumbest thing I have ever seen"? "Complete dogshit"? Yes, they need to fix it so there is no leading zero. Get a grip.

24 hour time, the only correct way to display time, has a leading zero.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, but there's a difference between just swiping the shade closed and having to parse a popup, select a toggle, then hit done or tap off of it.

You aren't supposed to move the toggle, you're supposed to select the source for your internet.

Wheeee posted:

The same reason the privacy dashboard only shows the past 24 hours, you aren’t actually supposed to have detailed knowledge and control over your device, these features are there to make people feel comfortable, not impart real control.

This is correct. Didn't one of the past betas (10 or 11?) have the battery page just reduced to a giant static screen that said "It's fine"?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 2, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eSporks posted:

You can't remove the stock widget? Weird, I swore you could last time I used the stock launcher. I use nova now.

You can. Long press it, customize > click on the left half where it says "At a Glance ON"

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It doesn't actually remove it, it only removes the info under the date.

LOL that owns.

Like eSporks I use Another Widget and Nova and the big 11>12 change for me was just making Another Widget left-aligned and 1x4 instead of 2x4.

Echophonic posted:

I just did the upgrade and the one complaint I have is that, since I use a live wallpaper (Neoline by Maxelus), I get four lame-rear end pastels to pick from for my system theme.

Yeah this sucks.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Taffer posted:

I just updated to android 12 and now all links that I have a dedicated app for (SA, Twitter, Reddit etc) are opening in the mobile browser. There is no "open with" pop-up and the default app controls in settings have nothing for this that I can find.

It's making me crazy, plz help

Clear defaults in the mobile browser? Let's be real here, most of us would be absolutely ecstatic to have Reddit and Twitter links stop bothering us about installing the app when opened in the browser.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Alarbus posted:

Yes. Go to the Widgets menu, scroll down to Clock. Go all the way right to World. Add it to your homescreen. Tap it. Set the cities you want by pressing the +

OP wanted it on the lockscreen, not the homescreen unfortunately.

Echophonic posted:

I've not noticed any flicker on my 4a, for what it's worth. My glasses do the same chromatic abberation, but for me it's all sorts of stuff, not just my phone. I figured it was because I got really thin lenses for my prescription.

Isn't this just polarized lenses?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 3, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

angerbeet posted:

I do not care for this update, I can see making visual changes but at least let us change them back!

The whole point of visually updating the UI is to force users into the future.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

i didn't realize the future was "nonsensical clock layout unless something completely unrelated happens in which case enjoy your regular clock"

I mean, it definitionally is. Or rather was, now it's the present. In a year you'll be marched into the future again.

butt dickus posted:

other gripes:
the big buttons in the quick settings menu means i get fewer of them,

My problem had always been finding enough buttons to fill the row. How many are you toggling a day? I probably press QSTs ten times a year total across every button.

butt dickus posted:

and now that google pay doesn't come up from the power button, i need to spend another one of them on that.

Used to be a complaint of mine until someone ITT pointed out that you don't need a button at all to use GPay. As long as the phone is unlocked, it works. I tried it and it's true, there's no reason at all to ever use the shortcut (which is on the lockscreen and in the QSP).

butt dickus posted:

i can no longer set the home screen grid to be a different size from the app drawer. yes i own nova launcher but i'm not installing it just for that. material you icons aren't there for any 3rd party apps or even several google apps. the stretchy overscroll effect is nauseating. i'm also not happy with the way sliders look now but i think i'll get used to that

I feel like not being able to hide apps is Pixel Launcher's greatest sin but still I understand, I too wish it was better but it isn't and won't ever be and Nova is a fine replacement. You know your options and you've made your choice. Material You icons, it's Google, of course it's going to be half-assed. It will never be whole-assed, that's kinda their thing. The overscroll effect is nauseating, true, but iOS has had it for a while and they don't seem to mind it. As for the aesthetics, that's just the future, man, you can't fight THE FUTURE!

No one said the future wasn't going to be annoying, I was just saying the whole point of updating all this poo poo is to update it, they aren't going to go through the trouble of doing it and then put in a toggle for "Gingerbread UI". They're going to make it and you're going to use it and that's how this works.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

butt dickus posted:

the two-layer clock sucks, and what sucks even more is that you get a different clock if you happen to have a notification. that doesn't make any sense. it's not progress, it's change for the sake of it and it's nonsensical, especially since when you have a notification they display a perfectly acceptable clock. give me that clock all the time

FWIW I agree, but we've been through it before back in like the Jelly Bean days, and we lived through it.

butt dickus posted:

i use google pay every morning to bring up my gym barcode that i hold up to an optical scanner, not NFC

Lockscreen shortcut it is, I guess. Honestly we should just count our blessings that they didn't get rid of loyalty cards when they went to the Indian app and blew up everything GPay was before. I'll agree the power button menu was the best thing about 11 though even if I never used the home controls simply because you didn't need to care about the context in order to access it.

butt dickus posted:

i use the flashlight, DND, auto-rotate, device control. i moved bluetooth, airplane mode and wifi toggles from the beginning but it still would be nice to have one more for the aforementioned google pay issue

I feel like it's so much easier to get a full grid of controls of eight that it trumps the six we had previously but muscle memory is a bitch.

butt dickus posted:

it's disingenuous to say that i'm pining for gingerbread. i've been using android since 2.1 and this is the first os upgrade i can remember where there have only been downsides. i can get over (and probably get used to) the ui changes, but utility and ease of use have decreased for what i thought was fairly regular usage

It's Google, this is what they do. I was just saying that if you give users the ability to keep things the same as they were then they will do so as long as they are allowed. If you're going to undergo projects like this it's better to do what they do and just let people complain because they're going to complain anyway. I can't help but feel that for Google, a company with ADHD and who always half-asses everything that it feels far more cohesive than I'd thought possible out of them. Plenty of minor tweaks could be made, sure, but in almost every case I think it's better than what it replaced which to me felt like it was laden in cruft and half-finished ideas. It's not perfect, but it's better than I thought they could do and honestly that's about all I hope to get out of them.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Did they push out a change to the quick settings already? Mine is now 4 small icons instead of the 4 bug buttons by default. Much more notification room..

Picture? I see no change on my Pixel 4 XL. It's still four smaller QSTs with a notification pane below and when the QSP is open eight expanded QSTs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

I got a Play Store update and I'm seeing this as the first pull down now instead of the larger 4 buttons. A second pull gives you the same 8 as before.

Well I can't defend that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I have to use an iPhone for work, and the one thing I would say is generally better than Android is the keyboard. It's surprisingly good at predictive text and the input is a bit more accurate and (I hate to say it) intuitive than any Android keyboard I've used.

I've never heard anyone ever call the newer iOS keyboard acceptable much less good. Even Apple stans who'd take a bullet over an Android call it embarrassingly inadequate and judging by my wife's messages of have to agree.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Wheeee posted:

I’m a sucker for good design and Apple’s touchpads are so far ahead of everyone else it’s ludicrous, but otherwise same, I have no actual need for one.

Next year maybe I’ll get a regular Macbook when they launch the new ones, I kinda fuckin hate Windows and would be happy to only engage with it on my work computer and gaming PC.

I have a Pixelbook that replaced a (horrible) 2016 MBP which replaced a (beloved) 2011 MBA. I don't *need* more than a Chromebook at all but the M1 MBA is tempting as gently caress because yeah, there's simply nothing like an Apple trackpad. They're an absolute pleasure to use in every way.

sourdough posted:

For sure, Gboard on iPhone is essential

Judging by the Gboard typo in my post it's obviously not perfect lol

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I've had a fair number of things shipped through them, and the one time I needed to contact them customer service was fairly helpful (my delivery showed that it was unable to be delivered because of road conditions or being in a gated community, neither of which made sense - the delivery ended up arriving the next day).

As someone in logistics let me tell you that there's a million reasons poo poo gets stuck. Talk to someone and the problem usually vanishes.

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm not taking anything personally, that's a weird thing to say.

The Pixel 5 and previous pixel fingerprint readers were rear end. This one has yet to miss a single scan.

I'm not sure my Pixel XL ever missed a fingerprint read the entire three years I owned it.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 6, 2021

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

BabyFur Denny posted:

How do I stop Google snapshot from showing me the card where I parked my car? I don't have a car.

Click your profile picture, scroll down to the "You" section and click it, Transportation.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

minusX posted:

"We have this new 30w charger you should buy for the Pixel 6!*"

* Pixel 6 isn't able to charge at 30w is weird to me and a bad look. It's not the end of the world, but they really make it out that it used the full 30w even though they never said it did, just said enough around it. It's omission of facts that generally rubs me bad :shrug:

I use a 45w charger in one room and a 68w charger in the other, op.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Yeah being disappointed a phone charges 50% slower than its closest competition (21 ultra) despite higher advertised speeds isn't unreasonable. Two chargers cost $90 aud here.

Where were the speeds advertised? As far as I can tell they weren't and this is just a case of morons piecing together information, making assumptions, and being wrong which is what morons do.

This is the only actual claim Google made:

"Google" posted:

Fast charging: Up to 50% charge in 30 minutes with Google 30W USB-C®. Charger with USB-PD 3.0 (PPS) sold separately.

Turns out that's true. Everything else was just idiots talking and other idiots believing them and it turns out that idiots are quite stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Wow called an idiot and moron in one post. your right, everything Pixel related is perfect and criticism is invalid.

If they included the charger instead of charging $45 for it it wouldn't be such a dick move.

You did imply that wattage was a measurement of speed so if the shoe fits...

So you're upset that they didn't make you buy the charger you don't need? You're right, that's pretty mean of them but they could've not made you buy an even more expensive charger you didn't need so it's not as bad as it could've been. Think of all the women and children not buying this thing they don't need, they're the real victims in all of this.

grack posted:

This is a pretty lovely response to a reasonable complaint. If Google didn't intend to use the full 30W charging potential, why put it in the marketing materials at all?

Because that's the charger they sell? Why not sell a charger that's overkill for multiple years instead of one that's exactly what you need right now? One gives you room to grow and the other doesn't. Further, isn't the only reasonable specification to put in your marketing materials the speed that the phone charges with the charger that you yourself manufacture and can therefore ensure the quality of such? There is absolutely no reason to assume that the power rating of the charger is used to its fullest extent, that's the whole point of USB-PD.