Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Colosmicon posted:

You're in luck, Steam refunds are now a thing.

Yeah, bad faith early access games are gonna get a whole lot less common with that around. Luckily Nuclear Throne is about as far as you can get from bad faith early access. If it's the kind of game you're into, there's a whole lot of playtime in it for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
On a recent video Sleep Cycles gave a tip of just editing your save file to unlock the crown of blood on a character or two, a lot of people who are good now practiced when all the crowns were enabled by default, because it gives you a lot more experience dealing with crowd control, bobbing & weaving, etc etc.

I've been grinding out melting no rhino, no strong spirit runs too, which will force you to pay more attention as well.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Anyway else having issues unlocking Reach the Nuclear Throne skins? I did Melting (no rhino or strong spirit) and Plant (under 10 mins) and neither of the unlocks nor achievements triggered. I died at the throne both times but I thought you didn't need to beat the Throne I, just reach it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Hmm okay. I 'liked' grinding for Melting's B skin whether I got the skin or not, I'm wayyyy better at dodging now and recognising when playing aggressive is the safest option. I do miss Melting's active as a panic button for removing all the bullets off the screen with other characters.

Edit: the wiki seems to think both achievements require beating the throne, so I guess so close but so far. Just gotta git gud.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 30, 2015

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

de la peche posted:

I'm gonna sound stupid now probably, but anyone got any tips on getting to the throne RE: characters, weapons, etc (other than "git gud")? The furthest I've got is 7-2 with a dual-shotgun Steroids, mainly thanks to his throne butt meaning I can just spam bullets everywhere.
Practice without strong spirit and rhino skin and/or Melting. Most of the time the issue is you're taking too many unnecessary hits. Force yourself to dodge more effectively and play smarter to avoid hits and you'll start reliably reaching the throne.

Ice_Mallet posted:

Yeah, I just did Meltings and the cheevo and unlock didn't pop up. I also crashed on a fun Horror run after that.

As much as I like this game, maybe I should wait until it actually works.
Eh, the important part of the game is fun and fine, so I don't really mind much.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Finally got the melting B after God knows how many attempts. I "reached" the throne several times but given I had to beat the throne too I died several times there. Got a clutch cursed energy sword on 7-2, which combined with auto crossbow meant I had enough damage & protection to make it through.

hosed if it wasn't a stressful affair though, at least it's done now so I can let my hair down blowing through a steroids run or two.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Just look at your stats page, per character stats have a loop count.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Energy sword is out an out the best way to protect yourself if you suck at bullet dodging and trivialises the throne.

It's funny that shotgun shoulders is on the bottom of that tier list given DevilAzite swears by it, and marrow + shoulders was how I did my Melting B run. Marrow kills far away targets while shoulders deals with close targets while avoiding having to expose yourself too much.

You have to match your play style to the weapons and mutations you receive/choose, there are so many ways to play through to loop in this game and that's why people loop reliably. The RNG helps but dodging, managing crowds effectively and choosing mutations well will get you to the throne every time if you see every death as preventable by better decision making and mechanics.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

When you say "shoulders deals with close targets while avoiding having to expose yourself too much", what exactly do you mean? Because I would wager that 9 times out of 10, either you don't need to be bouncing shots at all, or normal bounces would be enough.

I feel like besides the rats, all other close quarters targets really need much more hits than what you'll get with standard bounces. You get a lot more mileage out of your shotgun ammo with shoulders because pellets are more likely to hit something rather than disappear, and then in later game you can clear out the close quarters areas quickly (like a big IDPD spawn in the palace) and then open up long range straight away with a bolt weapon.

Admittedly this is me playing no SS/no RS with Melting B, and I'm still scrub tier because I just don't have that much time to play, but it's been pretty effective to have Shotgun Shoulders as close area clearance as long as it's well complemented.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
My son and I have started to get through co-op, it's kind of an interesting challenge with him being 6 and all, basically I have to do my best to carry him whilst playing with a gamepad (he uses m+kb because that's what he plays minecraft with)

We've managed to get as far as little hunter so far but never beaten him. I'm usually taking steroids with him as Rebel, with a golden wrench which means I can cover him while still shooting something. Works out okay, I prioritise health regen because of the whole give HP to revive functionality.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Well, they're common so they get more shots to kill you too. It's funny with bandits though, because they shoot so haphazardly you can have cases where a room full will be just holding fire the entire time, or shooting as fast as they can. They hold fire enough that you don't just start dodging them automatically, like you would a Golden Tank or a Scorpion, who are fairly predictable in their firing patterns -- even if it's almost immediate you do know it's coming.

Also, I might be mistaken but they don't really seem to aim, so in a hail of fire where it's all heading to where you were 2 seconds ago, random bandit shots could be heading anywhere.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It is meant to spawn at the last corpse, which seems to include props (like cactus & stuff if you broke it after the last enemy) however explosive barrels seem to take precedent over this so in the desert you'll have the portal spawn on them half the time.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Weekly isn't bugged if you're able to repeat it. You get unlimited tries at a new high score with the weekly, it's just the daily which is 1 attempt only.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah. Admittedly I haven't bothered touching dailies til they push an update.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Fuckin' lol at that throne fight, ending up behind it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

melee is good

Shovel + euphoria + hammerhead stacks the deck well in your favour as far as surviving that kind of bullet hell. Still a lucky duck to get through it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Trick Question posted:

...I think that's enough nuclear throne for today.

I once died on a B skin run on 7-2, looking for the last enemy, saw on ammo chest, didn't think and grabbed a mimic instead. I had to go for a walk after that.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Zero VGS posted:

loving Mimic Health Crate?! Are you serious?

Surprise! It's like super rare. :P

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

yeah but like, either that's bullshit or it's short throwaway stories. and either way it's not in the game.

The devs contradict this every time they give their Sensible Nonsense talk. The whole point is they think through their worlds lore to a great degree so it informs all the design decisions they make. Just because that doesn't make it into all the 'text' of the game doesn't mean it's not there.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
The existence of the lore is not there for the player as text, but to provide some level of consistency to the design decisions made, which characters come from where, why levels are decorated Te way they are. I'm not saying Nuclear Throne has some deep clearly there story, just that there is a lore underneath it all.

I mean, take any book, game or film with a well thought out world, and you can be sure as poo poo a lot of writing to flesh it out that never gets presented to the viewer. It's the only way to achieve a coherent world.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
And to add to that, people like digging into a world that has stuff not presented to the viewer, whether it's a book, film or game. That's all there is to it for some people, at worst they make for a fun bit of trivia so what's the problem?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Leylite posted:

So, today I was working on getting gold weapons for all the characters, to unlock Y.V.'s B-skin.

Just got a gold machinegun for Rogue, which I'm pretty sure is actually worse than her starting Rogue Rifle. Going to have to learn to Loop Good so I can start choosing whatever gold weapon I want instead of having to keep re-rolling the gold chest in Y.V.'s mansion.

I dunno, once you get to loop you probably have two weapons you don't really want to part with for a golden weapon. With Eyes it's easy to sort out, but everyone else not so much.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
That and all it takes for heavy crossbow to be a legit decent weapon at its stage in the game is bolt marrow and trigger fingers. And if you're shooting for a super crossbow you're getting those mutations anyway.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

ninjewtsu posted:

i've been finding that labs is a surprisingly challenging area, just because running out of ammo is a very real problem at pretty much all times, and occasionally you get stuck with a gatling slugger and an ammoless energy hammer and you spawn in a big room and immediately get swarmed (i wish i had managed to make my way out of this alive). it was weird beating little hunter and going "i'm pretty well prepared for murdering the throne but poo poo i dunno if i can make it through labs"

Really? I've always felt like labs is where all the ammos comes back, you overkill a room and there's tonnes of drops to refill on because of the high volume of targets. Sewers is where it feels you're more likely to fall into an ammo trap, at least once you loop. Also I'd hardly ever feel 'stuck with' Gatling Slugger, there are stronger weapons but it's mad efficient and a good stepping stone to your loop weapons.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

If you're talking about preloop labs it's absolutely good enough for labs crowds.

Yeah, in lovely lab spawns (and lovely spawns in general) the objective is to force yourself into a position where everything comes from one side and you either have cover or can kill everything that comes in quick enough that it's not needed.

While there are a few weapons that can dig you out of a situation where you're completely surrounded, Gatling slugger isn't one of them and you need to use the couple seconds delay at the start of the level to make a quick decision about where to fight.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Sade posted:

It happens to everyone. Don't give up, but do take a break after something like that, maybe.

Butttt.... On top of that, hours played does not correlate with capability in a linear fashion. If you're not playing and practicing to win, there is no guarantee that you will get better. A break helps, but when you come back you need to focus on getting better by picking what you work on.

Maybe hack your save to have a crown of blood so you're forced to get used to large crowds, play melting with no SS or Rhino so you focus on safe play with good dodging. Just a remember that improvement isn't a foregone result of time spent.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah, crown of guns just totally stalls at the the throne if you find yourself short of ammo.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Its big-orb attack almost always drops ammo (like, 80+% chance). But as I understand it, Crown of Guns sets all ammo drop rates to 0%, and then adds an 8% weapon drop rate to everything. So those big orbs would have a 0% chance to drop ammo and an 8% chance to drop weapons. Considering how much health the Throne has, you almost always need those ammo drops, especially if you plan on looping the game.

It's not so lopsided in normal gameplay, as most enemies have a relatively small ammo drop rate and the weapon drop rate mostly compensates. You still have to deal with the fact that the dropped weapon may not have ammo of a type you need, of course.

Unless they patched it since I've never seen throne orbs drop a gun. 8% can be few and far between if you get bad rolls I guess.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

MatildaTheHun posted:

Enter the Gungeon was such a horrible disappointment I've started dumping hours into Nuclear Throne again. It's loving glacially slow, and when it actually gets interesting to dodge and weave every enemy has too much HP to be interesting. I don't even want to start the argument in the game's thread because apparently everyone likes it.

^ Like it takes 7 minutes to clear the first floor. I could be killing Lil Hunter by then.

Reminds me of why I just dropped Risk of Rain after 'getting' the game. Once you got there it was just monotonous 45-60min games with very little tempo, and then suddenly you die from a mistake or something.

Nuclear Throne on the other hand, like you say, you can loop in 10 minutes. It has more mitigation of random chance because even the base weapons can carry you a surprising distance, and your mutations are chosen from a pick of 4 every level instead of 1 item drop.

They had a decent design from the start, but their approach to early access development (lots of playtesting and community involvement) really paid dividends towards making a game that people could put 1000 hours into and still enjoy it.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
To be fair steroids is ridiculously powerful even without any weapon pickups.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Future Days posted:

Played Nuclear Throne Together with a friend with two steroids + double guitar + crown of blood + hardmode. poo poo was so intense I started hyperventilating and my arms and legs went numb. I had to stop playing for a while to recover. FYI I'm a non smoker, there aren't any congenital heart issues in my family, and I indulge in all kinds of seizure-inducing indie games. I think I should see a doctor.

Yeah, I use Nuclear Throne together with my son and it's pretty good. I spend most of it trying to protect him with Steroids by using all my ammo (and taking a melee weapon or two). It's pretty good. :ocelot:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah flak and shovel aren't the best but perfectly serviceable.

Ask me about the time I lost a melting b skin run to a mimic chest cause I zoned out after clearing everything else out of palace 2. Actually that's the whole story.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
And you have the shovel if you get cornered with one of his tighter bullet waves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Track ball with button for left thumb ain't bad. It's already how I play & work (I haven't used a mouse on my main comp for years), and you can be surprisingly accurate with even with snap aiming once you get used to the travel speed.

• Locked thread