Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Gorn Myson posted:

Its pedantry disguised as analysis. A few years ago I was thinking of doing a piss-take of that kind of perspective by taking movies beloved by nerds, nit-picking them to death and then declaring that they're a worthless addition to any culture. Then I realised that it'd be a total slog because its extremely easy to do, its incredibly boring and is utterly joyless.

Plus that wouldn't really be a piss-take (at least, not of CinemaSins in particular) since a lot of CinemaSins' videos are already about movies beloved by nerds.

(I know you weren't really focused on them in particular in that thought, I'm just saying that this seems to be their default way of approaching any media, not just attacking stuff outside their interests. It honestly seems to sincerely be how they engage with media on their part.)

Idran fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Aug 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Didn't Yahtzee try opening up a chain of gaming-themed bars a few years ago? I won't be surprised if he lost his shirt over that investment and is now just sitting on the Escapist contract because that's the one consistent income he has left.

He co-owned it with a bunch of people, yeah, but it doesn't look like it was some massive failure that bankrupted the owners or anything; it shut down a couple years ago, but it looks like it wasn't a big implosion, just a slow decline.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Most businesses fail, especially in the restaurant/hospitality industry. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Yeah, and five years is honestly a pretty good run for one, isn't it? Most fail in a year or two, I thought.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

Doesn't gambling imply you might lose your money and earn nothing?

No, it just implies "you might end up in a better spot, or you might end up in a worse spot". If you have a chance at getting something you feel is worth the money if you bought it directly, and you have a chance at something you feel isn't worth the money if you bought it directly, that's gambling.

Like if I said "you pay me a dollar, I flip a coin; on heads I give you $1.50, on tails I give you $0.50", that's still clearly gambling even though you'll always still end up with something.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

It's more like pay me a dollar and I flip a coin, on heads you get $1.00 of resources and on tails you get $1.00 of resources because it's abstract intangible gear that is not exactly easy to quantify

Yeah, that's why it's subjective when you're not talking about money for money. If all possible rewards are a gain as a person sees it, if nothing would ever make them disappointed or regret spending the money, then it's not gambling. If some of them are disappointing, then it is gambling. So the same thing can be gambling for one person and not gambling for another.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FoldableHuman posted:

This was in the works for a while, they had the underlying tech working in Warlords, so they might have already rolled it out game wide. I confess I never actually got Legion.

It was part of the Legion expansion zones, and they're making it game wide in the next expansion. You'll even be able to hit both Outlands and Northrend at 60, take them in either order.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Yardbomb posted:

She's still around, she's on their twitch streams often enough and stuff, she just dipped out of the youtube videos I guess.

I think Shaun mentioned in a Q&A video that she wasn't interested in the increasingly political direction? Not as in upset with it or anything, just as in she didn't really care about it so she bowed out of the channel stuff, stuck with the gaming stuff and illustrating.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

e X posted:

I get that the titles are mostly there to light up search engines, but why "pregnant"?

Dan actually addressed that in the comments:

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Why does the guy even need to keep his channel afloat, I watched the one video where he was getting evicted and the house wasn't exactly shouting "A multi millionare lives here". I'm sure pewds could retire right now and live the rest of his life off interest.

He could've retired even before making it big on Youtube; his parents are both rich executives and as far as I understand he was basically a trust fund kid when he was in college. That's how he was able to drop out of school on basically a whim and not worry about it.

I know a Swedish friend of mine laughed at the idea of him being some kid that made it big on Youtube by luck, because his parents were so well-known already in the country before he ever even started making videos.

Idran fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 28, 2017

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Even as not a Youtube personality or frankly an interesting or notable person I've found myself making the mistake of treating people I interact with on the internet as a member of a forum or an IRC channel or whatever as "friends" or at the very least people whose validation I crave, and that's emotionally damaging in the long run no matter how you cut it.

No, that seems very, very different, unless you're not saying that whole nonsense about social relationships on the internet being fundamentally nonexistent and I'm just misreading you. There's a huge difference between actually being friends with people you spend time with online as equals or peers in direct social situations and the sort of relationship that exists between a person who can be described in any sense or scale as a public figure and their fanbase, and the issues that Contra is dealing with aren't unique to the Internet in that regard either. Any situation where someone in her position gets that kind of emotional reliance on their audience or fanbase would end up in the same state, Internet or not. The Internet doesn't cause that, it just facilitates it, like it does literally any kind of social interaction, positive or negative.

I'm pretty sure that essentially every reputable psychiatrist or therapist working today would agree that no, social relationships online aren't innately and unavoidably emotionally damaging in the long run in every form, or even a majority of them.

Idran fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 1, 2017

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Leal posted:

Dude I just glaze my eyes when I see 50+ responses and my glazing picks up "Zack Snyder" and "Gamergate" and it all turns into an amorphous blob of "You like/don't like this so you must be this kind of person which goes against my political beliefs here is 5 paragraphs blah blahing about it"

So huh, Doug is doing paid sponsorship now?

Yeah man I can't believe it with how bad Doug is at looking at media

I mean why would someone listen to someone who only takes a surface view of something and makes a broad knee-jerk statement about it without looking any deeper at it

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

Well it would be terrible if somebody ruined the vanity carriers of these two already rich sons of power on vague accusations

Yeah people need to be reminded of this more often; Felix wasn't some sheltered kid who just happened to make it big on YouTube, but most people I've seen seem to be under that impression. His parents are both 1%er executives in Sweden who were relatively well known there themselves before Felix ever did his first video, and he was basically a half step below ending up a trust fund brat. Which is why he was able to drop out of school without any worries and get on the path that led eventually to starting his stuff on YouTube in the first place.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

The big picture here is the slow death of print media, isn't it? Walking around with heads in arses, totally without guidance, desperate for appeal from anywhere.

It's more particular for comics. The only real distributor for physical comics at this point is Diamond, who is purely a direct market distributor; they managed to get a monopoly and push all other distributors out of the industry decades ago. They're purely a direct market distributor, which is why you don't see comics at places like Wal-Mart; they only distribute to dedicated stores. Now, unlike book distributors, they also don't allow the return of unsold material. This means that the only sales figures they have available are direct market sales, and not sales to consumers. Even the publishers don't get these numbers, because they just aren't collected nationally on physical sales. This causes an issue, in that of course sites have to order their stock well in advance. They order based on solicitations that the publishers put out, but these are little more than short blurbs describing the creative team and a very brief synopsis of the plot of an issue, so actual quality of work or critical response are both nearly irrelevant.

This altogether means that you only really see big sellers as #0s/1s or milestone numbers, because stores know those sell well and so they order more stock for them (often coupled with variant cover deals and other things that encourage stores to order in higher numbers), and most all comics have a huge drop in numbers otherwise, since stores know they...don't, and even for new lines they have to order stock for #2 before they know the reception or popularity of #1. This results in a pretty obvious feedback loop that means that nowadays movie releases don't even nudge the needle on related comics, and a good seller is one that manages to hit mid-to-high five digits nationwide. And of course it also means that buying a comic does basically nothing to keep it alive, that you have to pre-order it in order to contribute to its success.

The "death of print media" might be a factor, but this was happening well before that, so if anything it would've just accelerated it. And interestingly, that seems to have slowed down on actual books anyway, so I'm not even certain on that. (In the US at least, out of all books sold, last I looked the market share of physical books as a percentage has been pretty steady over the last decade or so, and ebooks have actually been giving up ground to audiobooks of all things.) It might actually be helping the industry even, since they can actually finally track real purchases now via things like Comixology; it's pretty widely thought that this has had a real impact on the survival of comics that fifteen years ago might have just gotten cut.

Idran fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Jan 5, 2018

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Spark That Bled posted:

Isn't this basically a Thermian Argument?

There's a difference between "there's an in-setting justification for this aspect of the text and so it isn't actually bad" and "this isn't actually what's happening in the text in the first place". The former is a rationalization for some aspect that you acknowledge to be present in something, the latter is a counterargument for why something (which can be either positive or negative) isn't true about a text in the first place.

A Thermian argument is "it's there, yeah, but isn't bad because-", but these posts (either the MH stuff or the Witcher stuff, not sure which specifically you mean) are an argument for why a colonialism read of the given work isn't accurate in the first place. And if a person is arguing that something is in some sense allegorical, it's completely fair for someone else to bring in pieces of the text, even in-setting details (edit: so long as they're actually present within the text, and they're prominent enough that they're not just offhand minutiae but are clearly a significant part of the work in some sense), that run counter to the allegory as a way of arguing against that.

Idran fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jan 29, 2018

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Laterite posted:

Yeah, Cracked, much like AV Club, is a shadow of its former self.

There was an interview on Splitsider recently about Funny or Die going through the same thing for similar reasons, and how Facebook's position as a sort of de facto publisher has had a huge negative impact on sites like them overall; largely the fact that Facebook has forcibly become the main location for a lot of people to view their content rather than the original website, but no revenue flows back to the creators in response. It's a pretty worthwhile read.

http://splitsider.com/2018/02/how-facebook-is-killing-comedy/

Idran fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 8, 2018

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

KayTee posted:

The film kicking off this derail us Mystery Men. Darkman counts. :colbert:

I thought Mystery Men came from a comic itself though? Didn't it come from Flaming Carrot?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FlamingLiberal posted:

I’m surprised Linkara only left now.

But as it has been brought up in the thread, CA is pointless in an era where internet critics can no longer survive on ad revenue alone.

He mentioned in the article that basically he stayed on to try and make it a better place for newer members as they came in as a kind of pay it forward for what he'd gotten out of TGWTG when he was new. He kept getting stonewalled internally with those efforts, so he was going to leave this year as it was after a major milestone the way MarzGurl did, and all this stuff just accelerated his timetable.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

I feel compared to the poo poo he's seen within his own site, that CA is a cakewalk, actually I do think he would eventually cut ties with CA

He did just tweet this a couple days ago, though.

https://twitter.com/thecinemasnob/status/977217064229154816

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Remember that campaigns for universal basic income, raising the minimum wage, and universal health care are classified as tankie movements by Dems.

Really? I've only ever heard the term used by leftists for the sort of people Yardbomb was describing, I've never really seen Dems use it. Maybe I've just been looking at the wrong places, though.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think he was on Chez Apocalypse first, along with a few others, and when that site went under he and those others got transferred to CA.

They were actually double-networked with both sites about a year before Blip collapsed and kind of took Chez Apocalypse with it (though I think I heard there are plans for a relaunch at some point?), but yeah, everyone that was on Chez Apocalypse in 2014 and wasn't already part of CA was picked up by them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

I don't know anything about Piller's Fade In, other than that it published posthumously, and I think SFDebris mentioned it in his review of Insurrection.

Basically, it was a long, detailed book that Piller was writing during the writing of Insurrection specifically in order to let people new to the industry see what the experience of putting together the screenplay for a major film was like from start to finish; not just the vague impressions and partial descriptions you normally get, but the full picture of the entire process at every stage of development from initial outline to final draft. However, permission to actually publish it was pulled for unstated reasons. From Piller himself:

quote:

Let me clarify this and make it very clear. With the approval of Viacom Consumer Licensing and Pocket Books, I wrote a book during the writing of Star Trek: Insurrection which was meant to be a text book for screenwriters. My pitch to the publisher was to take the reader through the entire process of the development of the film, starting with the idea and showing how changes, problems, opinions, studio requests, financial considerations, would effect the final product. And, in essence, to see if the reader would make the same decisions that Rick and I made as the script evolved. The book was by no means critical, nor did it burn any bridges, it just showed an insight into the behind-the-scenes of making a Star Trek movie that had never been told before. For reasons I won't go into here, decisions were made at a very high level not to publish the book, which was greatly disappointing to me. However, it does not reflect any dissatisfaction that I had with the final product. I think Star Trek: Insurrection holds its own when compared to other Star Trek movies. The goals of this particular film were quite different from the ones that preceded it. And for the most part, we met those goals.

It still was never actually officially published (though his wife said a couple years ago that something's in the works), but a partial draft was accidentally posted briefly on TrekCore (one of the big Trek fansites) back in 2010 because of a miscommunication where the site thought that was why it was sent to them, until his family asked them to take it down. So it's out there now in part, but the full finished book's still not released.

• Locked thread