Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Show of hands, who has played TW2 on the 360 instead of the PC? I played through Iorveth's path on the PC but lost all my saves in a HD crash. I have chanced upon a 360 copy and one of the dev videos promised cross-platform save imports so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GERALT OF CYDIA posted:

Any chance of this coming in any form to iOS?

Excellent post+username combo.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Lava Lamp Goddess posted:

Yeah, it cuts out the opening cinematic.

Here is a link to the video: http://me.ign.com/en/the-witcher-3-xbox-one-1/104580/video/the-first-15-minutes-of-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt-ig

It's mostly gameplay and it looks so nice.

I'm so playing this with my XOne controller on PC.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I wanted the game out in February because by mid-May it will be really nice outside all the time and I will not want to be inside on my computer :(

This is my problem, too :( Also because I live so far north that around that time it's almost perpetual sunlight so I can't darken my nerd cave enough for vidya games!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
All this talk of TW2 imports makes me want to go play it again as I lost all my save files in the great SSD crash of 2014 :( RIP

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

A few pages back, someone linked a CDProjekt forums thread that had savegames for all endings, I think.

Well luckily I only played through Iorveth's path, so a replay would let me see new content with Broche. Not sure if I would want that to be my import for TW3, but as you said I still have the option of getting someone else's Iorveth save file.

edit:

Here is the save game link for anyone who is interested:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/30709-(SPOILERS)The-Witcher-2-Save-Game-Files

From what I remember I would choose Ending 2) Aryan Alive (why kill him? you get a sweet perk) - Iorveth Path - Stennis Alive - Triss Saved

He mentions that globally speaking all endings involve Letho living (good, I did the same), Dragon living (same), Sile lives (bad, I let her rear end blow up in that teleporter thing). Oh well, it's a good backup just in case I don't get around to a Roche playthrough.

further edit: It seems like leaving Sile alive would provide for more possibilities in TW3, so I can see why the decision was made.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Apr 23, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

CottonWolf posted:

Roche is just so much of a better character than Iorveth, it's not even funny.

I committed to a Roche path at one point and got so far as an hour or two in to Henselt's camp before committing to finishing up my Iorveth save. Sadly, I spoiled myself accidentally that it's Roche who wants Henselt dead. That was the big whodunnit that I recall from the little I played of that campaign

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm totally not reading any of those spoilers as it's apparent there is more to Roche-Henselt than I knew. Time for a second playthrough!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm starting my second playthrough and decided to try out Hard. I found the combat in normal fairly easy and so I didn't need to put much thought in min/maxing my build. How about the higher difficultly levels? Anything in particular I should be aware of? I REALLY don't want to sperg out on builds as I did that on my first playthrough and giving in to my OCD almost ruined the experience for me. I have a vague thought in mind to just dabble in most of the trees but focus more on magic as I've not put more than 3 or 4 points in that tree before.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Hopefully a 980 will do the same for 1440p.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm just stoked you can use potions mid-fight. I'm running through TW2 again and I'm loathe to keep my potions up as it's massively inconvenient.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Comte, I have a control question. Is left stick movement analog (push the stick slightly to walk, all the way to run) with a separate sprint button, or more like mordor/gta where there is a separate run button? I hope it's the latter as it will translate much better to m+kb controls.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

beer_war posted:

The fact that they didn't want to show off kb+m controls this close to release has me slightly worried.

Same here. I'm for sure buying the game, but debating on PC vs PS4 due to the controls. I know I can just use a controller for the PC version, but to me it's just not comfortable using a controller sitting on anything but a couch - call me weird. And moving my PC to the living room isn't really an option I would consider.

Here's to hoping it controls like PC Mordor rather than TW2.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

Are you saying the W2 PC controls were bad?

The detection for looting world items was pretty wonky, for both kbm and controller on PC. FWIW I also own the 360 version and CDPR did a great job refining those controls. I have no doubt those improvements are carried over to the TW3 controller scheme, but I'm wary that the kbm controls will feel just as floaty as TW2.

Edit: I guess I'm just a stickler for third person controls using kbm. Mordor I feel got it absolutely perfect. WASD is walking, hold space to run, tap spacebar to roll/jump. TW2 and just about every other 3rd person PC game is WASD to RUN, hold another key to walk, it is just doesn't feel as immersive. It's really hard to explain, but kbm controls on 3rd person games always feel like an afterthought to me and take second fiddle to a controller, yet I don't like sitting at a desk to play with a controller. Mordor felt like it struck the perfect balance however.

Anti-Hero fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 29, 2015

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
You are fine. I'm pretty sure that tool is just looking at your clock rate irrespective of generation pedigree. IIRC the Haswell i5s are clocked slower than Sandy but are actually faster. That i5 actuallly turbo's up to 3.6 GHz.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I feel like a bad person trying to get the Trollslayer cheevo in TW2 :(

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I started my second run of TW2 on Hard mode and had to bump it down to Normal at the first Letho fight. My Normal playthrough went smoothly without having to rely on potions or over preparation, but Hard mode seems to lean on that quite a bit more. Considering I'm just trying to get a Roche save ready for TW3 and not sperg out over "always having potions on" (so glad they fixed potions in TW3) this seems to be the best solution.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

You don't really need a single potion, you just gotta learn to roll away from everything.

Or just attack with Quen and wait her out while your vigor recovers once you inevitably get hit.

I made the mistake of investing in signs before swords, so I don't have the roll perks.\

Andrast posted:

I haven't been keeping up with this stuff, how do they handle potions in 3?

Honestly, my enjoyment of TW2 increased by a lot when I modded the potion duration to be one hour long

You can now apply potions mid combat - no more of that meditating crap. IIRC meditation is only for passing time.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

My first playthrough was a Mage one as well, I only got the roll skills once I had everything I wanted from the Signs tree.
Default roll distance is fine, just don't get surrounded so you roll right into an enemy.
Especially Letho should be easy as hell to defeat if you just keep rolling in a circle while his Quen is up.

Well I'm not having any problems with hordes of mobs on Hard. It's just Letho basically one-shotting me on Hard. I have to make sure I get Quen up RIGHT AWAY when the fight starts or I'm literally dead.

Note: I was kind of drunk when that fight started, so I'll try again while sober on Hard and see how it goes.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

GrossMurpel posted:

I played on Hard and Dark, so :shrug:

Maybe try not to use Quen, I had better results without it because it forces you to learn to dodge everything.

Yeah I generally don't use Quen at all on other fights. Like I had no problem with the Troll (yes, I'm that person). I'll take another crack at it tonight.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

It actually creates new save each time. And I definitely wasnt exaggerating or anything. I do think it is silly that you need to invest a skill two skills to not take as much backstab damage and you're not that tough in the early game to begin with. Hence why I hate creating a million saves when I am trying to casually play through the game again but early-game Geralt is made out of wet tissue paper.

Might want to check that - my install only has one quicksave slot. It's autosaves a bajillion times with unique saves which is where savegame bloat comes in.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
You need to make sure and periodically clean out the ridiculous amount of autosaves or it results in game instability.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Drifter posted:

Also, I just fuckin' realized I had to be meditating in order to level up. :argh: What an annoying design decision.

:argh::argh:

That's only on difficulties higher than Normal.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Thanks guys. I ended up getting the MSI one. I was hesitant to upgrade because I upgraded last year to a 780 with 6 gb internal Ram. But if I sell that I can make up for this one. I'll probably sell it for $425 on Amazon which is more than $100 off the standard price.

Did I read this correctly? You are replacing a 780 with a 970?

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

The keyboard control setup is a bit weird (shift + lmb for heavy attack?), I think I will do some rebinding. Consumables to extra mouse buttons, heavy attack RMB, E for parry, F to interact, something like that.

I'm also not jazzed that dodge & roll are mapped to separate buttons. These controls look concerning.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

No, that's good. Dodge and roll are now separate actions in the game, and they have separate buttons. We have lots of buttons in keyboards, it isn't a problem.

I dunno, I'd rather dodge be SPACE and roll be (hold) SPACE.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
In a fit of drunken (poor) judgement I bought DA:I over the weekend, so now I'm juggling that and my Broche TW2 playthrough and trying to get the latter done before next week. Christ!

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Wiseblood posted:

Using the controller with Witcher 2 worked great, but I remember the radial menu not working like a radial menu should. Instead of pointing the stick directly at what I wanted to select I had to move the stick up and down to select the sign I wanted.

Curiously enough that was fixed in the 360 version, but never implemented in PC. Sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Controls are much improved, yes.

Comte, do you know if the PC version has the option to change the controller button prompts to the DS4 format?

• Locked thread