Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Givin posted:

I've tried a billion different Cantina codes across a billion different forums and none of them ever work for me. Is there some trick I'm not doing ?

You may need to have e-mail notifications enabled. Personally, I just kept getting error codes every time I clicked on a cantina link, then I logged in and got a pink penis speeder for all my toons, so it worked somehow. Even if you get an error message from the website, it might be worth logging in just to see if you got a cantina mail.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Tabletops posted:

Thinking of picking this up, I enjoyed the beta for what it was but if there is one thing I have problems with in MMOs it's staying entertained long enough to level decently. I only ever got to max level in WoW once, at the end of MOP after playing every expansion for atleast a month or so (for reference).

Is there any benefit to getting a disc, or should I just get the referred account thing setup and buy a sub?

There's no point in getting a disc. If you're looking to play as a sub, you might as well download the game first, and maybe putz around for the first couple of levels as F2P, and if you want to become a subscriber, go buy the Amazon pack. That will get you all caught up on X-packs, two months of subscription time and 2400 Cartel Coins. (Go buy rocket boots with those Cartel coins.)

If you want to maximize the use of a referral link, become a sub first, or at least preferred, wait until your subscription lapses, then click on a referral link. That way you also get a free week as a sub. It's a better deal than clicking on a referral link as F2P.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

The latest expansion pack SoR goes for $20, 2400 Cartel Coins are worth another $20, and 2 months worth of subscription is worth another $30, so the $40 Amazon bundle is usually seen as a pretty good deal.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Dauq posted:

So i got the urge to play this again, i never finished my class storyline the first time around (i got a sniper and a jedi consular around mid-levels), so it's still "new" to me.
Is there a goon guild still playing on the EU servers ?

From what I understand, the EU guild is pretty much dead. There are a couple of EU goons that play on the US servers, plus a few US goons that work late shifts. Even at around 3 A.M. server time there are still usually about half a dozen goons on. (I wouldn't expect much sobriety out of the US goons though.)

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

So if anyone wants to try to kill the Eyeless as a guild event, show up Sunday at 8 edt. You need to be at least Newcomer with THORN but that's doing 5 of the dailies I think.

I did all of the dailies yesterday, including the 4M heroic, and I was still an outsider.

People need to do THORN dailies for at least two days to to hit Newcomer status.

I kind of question the timing of the plan for this raid, since it's on a Sunday of a three day weekend, most people are going to be shitfaced. You might want to set up a backup date for Monday.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 2, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Medullah posted:

Eh most people are off tomorrow, not Monday. I probably won't be available Monday night but feel free to try and organize without me. :)

Edit - and its outsider rep, not Newcomer, sorry. So you'll need to do 4 of the dailies, it 1 and the Heroic

Hey, sorry if I came off a bit too strong. I used to organize raids back in my WoW days, it's a thankless task, so thank you for organizing a raid, better you than me.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Why does this game not have space hoverboard mounts yet. Seriously. :colbert:

Sounds better than a quarter of the speeders we have in game.

I hate all the speeders where it looks like they should have chairs, but they don't. All I can think is, "That must be the most horribly uncomfortable method of transportation ever devised."

My old gym teacher used to punish kids by making them sit like there was an invisible chair. Even the most hardass couldn't take more than 30 minutes before their thighs were on fire.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 26, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Fuzz posted:

Prinawe mounts - still ugly as gently caress.

On the bright side, my alts don't have to drive around in pink dildos anymore. So that is a huge plus.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 27, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Khisanth Magus posted:

Choice for gear, talents, etc has always been an illusion in MMORPGs. People will always crunch the numbers to come up with the most optimal build, publish that on the internet, and then everyone will copy it.

Pfft. Everybody knows that the true joy of progression raiding doesn't come from the euphoria you get from finally beating a tough boss, or the sense of community you get working together with a group of like minded individuals.

No. The real thrill from progression raiding comes from getting an upgrade, only to realize it fucks over your accuracy, so now you have to swap out your gear to get yourself over the cap, but not too far over the cap. That's where the real skill comes into play when raiding. Forget not standing in fire, or any other boss mechanic, running a spread sheet in your head of what stat needs to be where is the proper way to raid.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Aug 29, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Promethium posted:

For the Taris and Hoth HK pieces I've found it best to start at the entrances to the crashed ships (Endar Spire and Ambria's Fury) and circle outwards from there. Each time I've run the quest (or seen someone else dig it up), it's never been too far from there.

Speaking of long quest chains, if anyone needs to finish the Macrobinoculars or Seeker Droid missions on their characters I'm up for doing those this weekend as well. They're puzzle-heavy solo quests up to a Heroic 4 finale. Technically the Seeker Droids are doable with just two, but Macrobinoculars requires 4 characters for some puzzle sections.

I'm down for that, those quests have been sitting in my quest log for too long. How is Thursday at 9PM EST for you?

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
I have to admit, I'm really enjoying playing as a Light-Side Bounty Hunter. So many opportunities to tell the Sith to gently caress off, they're not my supervisors.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FelixReynolds posted:

Is there a penalty for going lightside as a Sith? So far I've been having fun being a total jerk to everyone I meet (not to mention executing tons of folks) with all my dark side options, because it feels like a sort of cop out to run with the "bad guys" if I'm just going to act like a good guy anyway. But if there really isn't a gameplay objection I might start approaching everything in a completely objective way and seeing what happens, because at times it does seem like the appropriate thing to do.

Nope. From a game mechanics issue, there really isn't a big difference between being Light Side and Dark Side. There's a few pieces of cosmetic gear and a speeder you can get if you max out one way or the other, plus some titles.

Really about the worst that can happen is you can lose some affection with your companion, and some companions really don't care about LS/DS as long as it furthers their goals. Worst case scenario, if you say something that really pisses off a companion, you can always just hit esc, then restart the conversation, maybe swap in a companion that agrees with your choice.

Generally speaking, on the Imperial side, Warriors and Bounty Hunters are nudged at the start of the game to go LS by their companions, while inquisitors and agents are nudged to go DS. That doesn't mean you have to go one way or the other, just that your starter companions generally lean one way on when it comes to DS/LS choices.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 13, 2015

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007
Somethings been bugging me about Treek, and I think I figured out why. Treek is ripping off Vanilla Ice.

"Is there a problem Chief? Then I will solve it!" Now check out the hook as the DJ revolves it.

Treek, Treek baby.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

FelixReynolds posted:

I was instructed by Fuzz (I think) to throw this referral code out into the wilds of the thread as even getting 1 person to use it is apparently a Big Deal. If this isn't kosher let me know and I'll get rid of it right quick.

http://www.swtor.com/r/scTkHw

Question about the gameplay though (and one that I know is going to be pointless in a few weeks anyway) but should I be trying to compartmentalize my crafting/professions per character or specializing? Ie, most crafting profs seem to require 2 gathering profs. Since you get 3 skills per char, should I try to keep those all self contained or instead really specialize in one thing (a gathering skill like Treasure Hunting or whatever) along with something like Slicing per character and then mail/stronghold bank all my mats to my person who builds stuff? I could also be completely overthinking this and it isn't at all important but I would like to make some space money on the side before I hit the point where I can do dailies for it.

You're probably overthinking it.

Personally, I find it easier to just have a cybertech character, a biochem char, etc. and know that they probably have the mats in the bank to make whatever is needed. As a sub you shouldn't be going broke unless you're spending all your money trying to powerlevel something like splicing, and if you're going broke trying to level up a skill, then stop leveling up that skill for a bit until your wallet is a bit fatter.

If you can't afford a speeder? Click this link, http://www.swtor.com/user/ce/19f4p0 , (It's a cantina code) for a free speeder. I just saved you 15k in space bucks from having to buy a speeder.

The amount of space cash you can make from selling low level crafting mats without going out of your way to collect those mats will be completely dwarfed by how much you can make at end game by just doing a few dailies. That's why low level mats are relatively expensive. Subscribers can easily blast through content without keeping their gathering skills up to level. (Scavenging is probably the easiest gathering skill to keep matched up to your level, mainly because you can scavenge off of dead robots, and you end up fighting a poo poo ton of robots.)

And space cash isn't even all that big of a deal at end game.

Some of the end-game level gear mods can cost a pretty penny, but if you were the type of person who really needs ops level gear, you would also be the type of person running ops, and getting gear from drops.

At max level, most of the things you're going to be blowing space cash on is cosmetic poo poo like mounts, playing Barbie dress up with costumes, and designing Barbie's dream house. (OK, Barbie probably wouldn't buy a house on Dromund Kaas and fill it with Holocrons.)

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Oct 6, 2015

• Locked thread