Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Scroll through the OP of the last thread and then look at this one. The armours are so much cooler. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Yian Kut Ku and Velocidrome feel like totally different fights from the original Monster Hunter and definitely aren't pushovers at first. I'm glad they didn't add the extra 50 defense this time because that would have made low rank way too easy. The tutorial is so much better, it was a great move to start with Dah'ren Mohran. Now people won't blindly hit the gong when they actually fight the thing.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The localization is fantastic. It's the first Monster Hunter game where I actually read the dialogue instead of skipping through it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Basarios sucks.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Kecha Wacha is a lot of fun. Thing's easy and dies fast but he's a great monster to practice the mounting mechanics on.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ambushsabre posted:

I actually can't beat the Gypceros
He's nowhere near as hard as he was in the first Monster Hunter game. In that quest, 3 Bullfango were in every zone the Gypceros was. You could barely move one step without being knocked flying across the map.

I love Gypceros now that I can actually beat him. He's so goofy and his playing dead gimmick is great.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

Does 4 ease you into the game better than past entries?
Yes. A lot better. They explain almost everything this time while in 3U, it was mostly "Here's the quest, have fun."

The new attacks on the greatsword are amazing. Everything drops so fast. :allears:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Now I get what people meant when they were talking about Khezu being a pain in the rear end. The lack of music is a nice touch though. It makes the fight really creepy and tricks you into letting your guard down. On the other hand, you can't dive roll. :argh:

I'm right after the Najarala fight and every single one of these new monsters are fantastic so far. 3U low rank seems so lame in comparison.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

Wow this is getting kind of boring being asked to kill 5 piss easy dinosaurs, or 8 slightly larger piss easy dinosaurs.
They aren't key quests so you might as well leave them aside until you need something from those small piss easy dinosaurs.

Hunting Horn is awesome but it's kind of lame when you're starting out because you don't have buddies to buff and the songs aren't all that good. It gets amazing in G rank.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Don't go overboard with making armour sets in low rank (or even high rank) because they'll be worthless soon after. Only make what you need. 2 or 3 should be good, I had to make Najarala armour when I hit Gore because he was 2 shotting me in my Velocidrome armour.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I was around ten years old when I played the original Monster Hunter game. Barely got past Kut-Ku and couldn't beat Cephadrome. When I played Tri, I pretty much got carried through low rank.

Had a much easier time with 3U but I still got stuck on Duramboros for a week.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Awesome! posted:

i do not like gravios
I was about to say the same thing. Not looking forward to fighting Apex Gravios.

Yian Garuga is awesome though. He's basically Yian Kut-Ku's spazzy evil twin with Rathian's backflip.

Seltas Queen is rad. It takes a lot of jumps to mount her though.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just love that the LR quest for killing Rathian and Rathalos is called Two Live Crew. And the NPC who gave it said something about them "screwdoodling" on her route home.

In case anyone doesn't know, there's a shortcut to area 3 at the starting area of the Primal Forest.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I miss the backpack granny.

Edit: I can't stop looking at your avatar.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Feb 20, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just did both of the quests that involve infected Khezu and I never want to fight that thing again.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Rathalos is somehow an even bigger rear end in a top hat in this game. Stop spending so much time in the air! :argh:

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Shaggy is fun but with him taking up the whole screen at times and all the explosions, it's really easy to get confused and mess up the controls.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Wow, Cephadrome is actually fun for once. I didn't even have to use a single sonic bomb to get him out of the sand. The textures on him are much nicer than the mud puddle he was in the original game too.

I love that hot air balloon (it briefly marks the monster on your map when you wave at it). Shame it wasn't in 3rd gen.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Just in case anyone doesn't know: Do all of the low rank quests, don't leave them aside. They unlock a lot of cool stuff.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Unlucky7 posted:

When you say low rank you mean the caravan quests, right? I do all the ones that are from npcs but I do have a few I haven't done yet.
I meant the caravan quests. I did a few of the advanced ones (same rank as Shagura) after beating Monoblos and unlocked low rank Brachydios, an upgrade to Sunsnug Isle and some more quests.

Unlucky7 posted:

Fake Edit: now that I think about it I did get an Everwood urgent quest after completing one of my other quests. Is this the type of stuff we are talking about?
Pretty much.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Feb 22, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Notorious QIG posted:

There's a balloon that flies around that you might see from time to time. If you use the wave gesture while looking at it they'll mark all large monsters on your map for a short time, once per quest.
I didn't see this balloon until I beat Green Congalala.

Man, low rank Dah'ren dies really fast. Not that I mind, I hated fighting Jhen solo back in 3U.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Khezu has way too much health for such a boring monster.

It also sucks that he sleeps in a way that you can't get to him unless you're a gunner. It took me a couple of minutes to realize that I could use the fist pump animation to wake him up. Right when I did that, he left the area. I chased him until he went back to the same area and one second before he got into the shock trap that the kitties left earlier, it broke. At least he turned out to be a big gold crown but god, I hate Khezu.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Feb 23, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

tower of druaga posted:

You can climb up the walls and jump from icicle to icicle to reach him. Just put a trap down right below him before you knock him down.
Oh, I forgot about that. Thanks.

I wish the kitties would stop putting traps right on the zone borders.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
It looks even more awesome when you use the Daiymo GS (literally just a giant crab pincer) with it.

Speaking of which, what the hell kind of Monoblos did Daiymo get its shell from? Because I want to fight it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Stupid question but when's the soonest I can hunt a bunch of Rhenopolos in HR? Literally only thing I need for my HR Tetsu armor.
They're in the Purple Gypceros quest, check area 9. The subquest bugs are in area 2.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

John Lee posted:

I got to HR and there's a quest to hunt Rhenoplos for me. A quest to kill ten of the things, I used it to hunt for rare charms with Felyne Explorer for a bit. Are you talking about singleplayer only?
I'm a little late but yeah, I meant single player. I haven't touched the online quests yet.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Sure feels great fighting the two most unfun and unfair monsters (Black Gravios and Azure Rathalos) in the game back to back.

Seregios is awesome. Unlike Azure Rathalos, he's an aerial battle done right. I'll craft his armour next even though I'll miss looking like a spiky crab luchador.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

My goodness I am poo poo at this game online. Went with hammer and GS to gore magala online, I don't htink I got more than three or four hits with either weapon. And these were with HR3 folks, didn't look overgeared.

Now I'm all demoralized :smith:
Gore's like Deviljho. Stay under his belly and you'll get a lot of hits in while avoiding plenty of damage too.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Are there any must-have greatswords? I'm in the later parts of high rank right now.

That online Dah'ran urgent quest is such a joke.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 28, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Colapops posted:

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Herbivore <-all of these herbivores show up in MH4U except epioth (it swims) and anteka (I may simply have avoided them)
There's no bullfango in 4U either. (Thank god.)

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I like Seregios but god, fighting him with a greatsword is aggravating and takes forever.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
I just played with a couple of Great Sword users who spent 99% of the time running in circles and standing at mounting points instead of actually hitting the monster. After the quest, one of them tried to wear low rank armour to high rank frenzied Tigrex and got defensive when I told him to change. Everyone else was doing event quests so it's not like I had room to be picky but ugh.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

SperginMcBadposter posted:

The LR and HR versions of a set aren't that far apart when upgraded. And they may not have a HR set with the skills they use on it. On top of all that you shouldn't be taking damage anyways. :colbert:
His armour set had 200 less defense points than my HR set and there were no skills on it. Wearing low rank armour to the later parts of online high rank is only excusable if you're really good at the game. But he sucked.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Fought Rajang for the first time (along with some other people who were in the same boat as me) and hoo boy, did we not last long. He's fun as hell but easily the hardest monster so far. At least he's not a key quest in high rank.

Teostra was surprisingly easy.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
The players who never use lifepowder are even worse.

Edit: But the biggest pet peeve I have when playing this game online are the players who hit sleeping monsters when there's a greatsword user. Let me do my charge attack you idiot.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 14, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Finding a group competent enough to beat Dalamadur is way harder than the fight itself.

Akantor is pretty easy with a greatsword. Just stay underneath/behind him and bring adament seeds because his defense down debuff is brutal.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Is there a special requirement for unlocking Molten Tigrex in high rank or is he just one of the cycling advanced quests?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Alard posted:

You need a HR of 50 to unlock it.
Aw gently caress. I need some stuff from him to upgrade my Seregios GS.

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

You could just fight the Caravan*10 one.
I forgot offline existed.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 15, 2015

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
A lot of people in that thread really hate Tetsu armour. My Tetsu armour lasted me all the way through high rank and it looks awesome if you're a girl. :colbert:

Makes me wonder why they go online at all if they're that spergy about other players.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
"Sweet, I finally got the Ukanlos urgent done and my first G rank expedition quest is Savage Deviljho. Might as well check it o-OH GOD STOP TRYING TO EAT ME."

• Locked thread