Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
4G and 4U are not compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I paid in full online. I have a shipping label, but UPS claims not to have received the package yet.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can you change your cats names/appearances or are they permanently set after you make them?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Evil Mastermind posted:

So are there no more gathering missions/freehunt? I've only gotten as far as doing the first Expedition, do they start appearing later?

The first harvest tour is available at 3* caravan.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sard posted:

Also I noticed a dollar sign in the DLC gift area so uh is it known what we should expect from that? I've been trying to stay in the dark about the game until today.

So far they haven't used it for anything in Japan, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Gypceros playing dead and then 1-shotting me when I foolishly tried to carve him is the best and funniest thing I've seen in a Monster Hunter game.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Area 8. A bunch of Rhenoplos will be guarding it.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Most breaks can be done with any kind of weapon. Tails generally require cutting, and some rock-looking pieces (Barroth's chin in 3U, not sure what in 4U) require impact.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there a place online that has a list of which quests you need to do to go through each HR?

Not fully translated but you can match up the icons and take your best guess. You'll want to do all of the quests eventually anyway (for VE tickets) so I just clear out each HR before moving on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
For the Charge Blade, with the start button trick, is hitting start the same as hitting X+A in any mode, or is it its own slightly different thing?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
So as long as I can comfortably reach start, there's no reason to use actual X+A (except unsheathing to axe mode, I guess)? Thanks!

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
...but won't be released in English.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Can anyone explain how Dah'ren Mohran actually works? I just beat him, but I have no idea how I did it or how effective I was.

In the first phase, there are ballistas with regular and binder ammo, cannons with limited ammo, the gong, and the dragonator. The dragonator and the regular ammo stuff is pretty obviously just straight damage, but what does the gong do, and when should I use it and the ballista "binder" ammo?

In the second phase, I just hit his hand until he let me climb on, then wailed away at his head until he keeled over. Is the second phase triggered by first phase damage or just by waiting long enough?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just fought my first Irritating Lightning Horse. When it was charged up, all my attacks bounced off of everything but its head. Is that just because I was at green sharpness, or do you really just have to wait that phase out if you can't safely hit the head?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I know the feeling. I finally got mine after 10 kills, which I suppose isn't that bad in the grand scheme. Now I can finally start working on high rank.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Yeah, advanced quests and not sharing credit for urgent quests are just mindbogglingly stupid design decisions.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm looking forward to getting a grip if they're ever available from anything other than super shady Chinese eBay sellers.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

That's for the old 3DS XL. I have the new one.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

goferchan posted:

You don't have to do all the egg and gathering quests to advance your rank, just most of the big monster ones (Google for "key quests" to find out which ones are necessary). On the single player/caravan side the egg quests etc. are worth doing because they net you upgrades for your shops & other facilities in town, but I don't think the online ones confer the same benefit so unless I'm wrong there's really no reason to bother

I'm not 100% clear on how the system works, but doing more unique quests levels up your guild card, and the higher level your guild card the better veggie elder tickets you'll get from playing with other people. And there's a finite number of possible veggie elder tickets you can earn, so there is at least some value to doing every single quest at least once early on.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Note that even though ESP makes you not bounce, you still do the reduced damage and (IIRC) take increased sharpness loss as if you bounced, so it's still better to hit places where you wouldn't bounce in the first place.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
One exception: It's exceedingly satisfying (and not all that hard) to land big slow axe-mode charge blade swings on Bnahabras while they think they're safe way up in the air.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

dragon enthusiast posted:

I have mine set to Chat and Target Cam, which are probably the most useful things to do with them. Wish I had more options though.

It would be totally awesome if we could map ZR/ZL to multi button combos. I would love to map ZL to X+A and ZR to R+X for charge blade, for example.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Stealthed Zombie posted:

Got to Monoblos in Caravan. Monoblos? More like...Easyblos :smug:

Really though it just seemed like a super easy urgent compared to how big they were talking him up. "Oh no, it's a Monoblos! Good luck hunter, I think you'll need it!" *kills him in 10 minutes with no cards and barely using heals* "OH MY GOD WE CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DID IT!"

Fighting him for the urgent was the same for me, but when I went back to capture him for a later quest it took me 30 minutes and most of my mega potions because I had to keep running away to sharpen.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Haruharuharuko posted:

The biggest thing with him in my opinion is to be super agressive and never let yourself get hit with the virus debuff and just stay between his legs.

Or better yet, get clipped with the virus debuff and then turn it into a buff by being super aggressive.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Does Palico equipment matter at all for the ones you send out on Meownster Hunter expeditions, or is it only for your main/sub Palico?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

You can only put equipment on your 1st stringers, and you can't send your 1st stringers on Meownster Hunter, so no.

Derp. Small embarrassment, great relief.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I capture by default, because in general the materials that you're more likely to get from capturing than carving lean towards the rare end of the spectrum, and it's always easier to go back and farm the common stuff from killing if you find yourself short.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sultan Tarquin posted:

It might not be very good for HR..

But i'm so cute I don't even care :allears:

What armor is this? I need it for online.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Ugh, Azure Rathalos is some serious bullshit if the behavior RNG doesn't go your way. He just spends 99% of his time in the air doing that homing claw attack that hits you from across the map and poisons you until you run out of stamina for dodging/blocking. And then if he ever does land, as soon as you hit him he does that roar->flying fireball combo and then resumes being a flappy rear end in a top hat.

I've tried flash bombs, but after the first one they don't seem to do much. What am I missing?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Just finished the plot (at least insofar as the credits just rolled). Man, that last fight vs Kushala Daora was such an incredible anticlimax. I mean, the associated cutscenes with the Ace Hunters were cool and all, but the actual fight was piss easy. I got a little scared when I started it and found a supply box with 12 First Aid Med+ and 2 EZ Max Potions, but I didn't even have to heal, period. It was basically a glorified tutorial for online Kushala and Gogmazios.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Sard posted:

Gathering hall hijackers are the real monsters.

What's the etiquette there? If you join a gathering hall, are you expected to never post quests and only join the owner's quests? Or is it OK to post one of your own after going on a few of the owner's?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I loving hate flash bombing, because it seems like the Rathalos AI follows 3 rules:

1. If my weapon is sheathed and I'm ready to flash bomb, never fly.
2. If flying, and I sheathe my weapon, land immediately, then fly as soon as I unsheathe.
3. If I actually manage to be sheathed while they're flying, they'll be facing away from me, but if I get close enough to throw a flash bomb to the other side of them, instantly turn around and hit me with that loving homing poison claw attack.

I've completely given up on the whole concept.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

Toxxupation posted:

Why flashbomb when you can hit them out of the air with axe mode

Because hitting a flying Rathalos in axe mode is basically painting a big sign on yourself saying "homing claw me before the recovery for this attack ends". When Rath decides to play flappy dragon, I've pretty much resigned myself to guard pointing repeatedly until he gets bored of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Nope, that's how it works. It's retarded, but welcome to Monster Hunter.

• Locked thread