Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Lemming posted:

I hosed up real bad by not getting Ouendan 2 and Ghost Trick before, but I'm going to fix that now. Is there anything else on the DS I'm missing?

Also, do you have Rhythm Heaven and the Picross games? They're all great, and you can get them for a song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Choose one from Str and Mag. That's your primary attack stat now. Don't bother pumping the other stat, it's dead weight.
Edit: if you get the chance to crack Auto skills (the ones that go in slot 7 for humans), always go for those.
Edit2: if you have the chance to save someone, do it ASAP. Don't dilly dally.

Does all this apply for Devil Survivor Overclocked as well?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Hopefully there's news on Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam-- I think that has a chance of being very good.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

So I got region-free stuff up and running to play Picross 3D 2 and that Rhythm Heaven compilation game. Any other suggestions now that I have this working?

I've always wanted to know what the Japan-only Mameshiba game is like. You should get it and come back with a report.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Andrast posted:

I'd rather argue with a dick than someone who is incredibly obtuse.

Please do not make The Taint Reaper's job any easier than it is

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

haunted bong posted:

What's a good RPG to get for the 3DS? I got one a few days ago w/ Super Mario 3D Land, and would like a good game to sink my time into.

You should try the demo for Etrian Odyssey 4--if that game clicks for you, it really clicks.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

2015 Stats

Steps:

Play Time:
128 titles / 480:01 hours

Top Five:
Etrian Odyssey IV: 53:50
Ace Attorney Trilogy: 33:59
Xenoblade Chronicles 3D: 27:26
Monster Hunter 4U: 22:48
Metal Gear Solid 3 3D: 19:17

A fun year for games.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Detective No. 27 posted:

More Xenoblade question: So I'm in Alcomoth. I just did that quest to repair that lighthouse in the Eryth Sea. The game wants me to go to a quest marker that I can't even see and I got no idea how to get there.

I've ran around lots of circles.

Did you ever get the answer to this? You go into the main palace lobby (at the top of the escalators in the city), and there are two hallways full of closed doors that branch out on the sides. One of those doors is open, and there's a teleporter that takes you to where you need to go. I must have spent two hours trying to find that dumb place.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

I tried it again and now I get a message in the 3DS software saying "An error has occurred. Please save your data in any software currently in use, and then restart the system." Am I boned? Will I never play my stupid idiot Asian wackadoo card game on my dumbass handtoy? Help, please.

I had to try it around ten to fifteen times before it finally worked. It's super finicky. Also, it worked after I switched my theme to "no theme," but that might be an unrelated correlation. Or an instruction that wasn't listed on the instructions.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

My theme's set on "no theme" already. Also my system hardlocks randomly. I shouldn't have played god! Gonna wipe this softmod bullshit from my SD card and pray everything goes back to normal.

Even after I got it to work, that's what I did too. The CPS2 and Neo Geo Emulators were way worse than advertised (no games I wanted to play worked). The softmod isn't worth it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

just a quick question: I'm looking to buy a new microSD for my 3DS. I like those Samsung EVO ones because they're pretty decently priced, but will they work with a New 3DS?

Yeah, I have a 64GB EVO in mine and it works perfectly fine.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey i read through the OP and did some light research, but what is the best memory card for a N3DSXL? A big part of my enjoyment of my 3DSXL was having a 32G card and never worry about space, so I'd like the biggest NICE card the device can handle. Any goon recommendations?

I'm getting fine performance from a 64GB Samsung EVO Micro SD in my N3DSXL, but you can go up to 128GB without any issues. The only reason a 32GB limit ever gets tossed around has more to do with Windows not natively formatting FAT32 onto devices larger than 32GB and Nintendo not using Exfat. It's not a hardware limitation on the part of the system. You need a Micro SD card for the New 3DS.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The SNES VC conspiracy theory also conveniently glosses over the four years before the New 3DS, at least two of which involved Nintendo struggling to convince the public that the 3DS was worth owning. If they could have released a good SNES emulator at that point, there's no reason why they wouldn't have. But people are convinced that Nintendo wants to sell less software.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

If I have a backup of my 3DS SD card and my device gets lost or stolen, can calling Nintendo set it up so that I can also restore my save data from that backup?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The regular 3DS fits snugly into a Ziploc sandwich bag and the XL fits comfortably into a quart sized one. Those are waterproof and protect against scuffs, but you run the risk of looking like a doofus pulling your game system out of a baggie. Still, it outweighs the alternative.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Its my fourth time through this demo and I'm so tired of skipping the dialogue but until I can buy the full version, this is all I can do to get my weird solitaire racing fix.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com

$1 for Retro City and Shantae is nice.
How is Street Fighter 4?

The touch controls ruin any sense of balance or skill that the game has, and you have to play by the honor system to not use them (you can't deactivate them in multiplayer), which is a shame, because the 3DS D-Pad is really great for fighting games.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Granbar posted:

Man I can see this horse game becoming real addictive guys. Cya next week.

I've already got twelve hours logged on the demo alone. I might never stop playing this game once it comes out.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Housh posted:

Has Fantasy Life ever gone on sale on eShop?

Yeah, it did during a Nintendo Summer Sale about a year ago.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

univbee posted:

Nah, I'm based out of Canada and the exchange rate makes that not really workable, plus getting Nintendo to repair it will get me a fresh 1-year warranty. It's also a Majora's Mask Special Edition, here's hoping they can actually fix it!

Nope, nothing like that ever, the thing just up and quit on me.

I had that exact same issue with my New XL a few months ago. After two days or so, the connection just came back. No explanation. It's worked fine since.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Beo posted:

Man I was dreading putting on my screen protectors when they came due to experiences with them back when I had my ds.

Good lord do they make them easy now I can't believe they only charge 9 bucks.

I feel like the Hori protector I put on my already-scratched screen makes my 3DS look better than it did when it was new.

(I'd scratched my screen in two places: the "rub" spot and the draw pile for horse solitaire)

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

Buy a DSTWO and get a semi-half way but not really good experience.

Please don't do this for emulators, even NES emulation on the DSTWO is piss-poor.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Alec Eiffel posted:

I never played 1-3 but I want an RPG and Etrian Odyssey IV is cheap. What's it like? Should I get it?

Highly recommended. I've not yet played the others, but IV is one of my favorite RPGs in years. It's got fun dungeons and map creation, as well as really exciting enemy encounters and bosses. Very much worth getting.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Guy Goodbody posted:

Am I the only one who doesn't like the Wendy Oldbag character?

No. I remember getting really upset the first time I saw her return. At this point, I've just resigned myself to having to deal with her lame shenanigans.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Scrap Dragon posted:

Planning on getting a New 3DS with the Black Friday sale, what size SD card is recommended?

32gb is good for most people of you like digital downloads of games, which you definitely should. 64gb if you see yourself getting a ton of games for it.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

The fact that these are getting scalped is especially scummy. They aren't even really collectors' items. The main appeal is that they're $99.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

You should also get the demo for Etrian Odyssey 4 to see if you like it, it's easily my favorite RPG on the 3DS, and it's often on sale for $10 on the eShop.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Get Pocket Card Jockey and Out Run 3D

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tatsuta Age posted:

The best TI-83/84 game was Phoenix and I won't hear anything different

I was coming here to post this. Also Drug Wars was worth killing time with if you were burnt out on Phoenix

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Beastie posted:

Still getting boned in PCJ. Will regularly start a race with a 5 Star start but will inexplicably get jammed up with four other horses and bounced to last place before the first hand is dealt.

I aced every round and still lost.

I guess I still can't get it into my noggin that it's basically a rogue-like.

During the final turn, if you win a round of solitaire in the L2 or L3 comfort zone (which is where you should be anyway), move your horse into the deep red section of squiggly lines in the L3 comfort strip. Comfort zones don't move in the final turn, you won't lose stamina because you won the hand, and you won't be boxed in. Horses tend to gather close to the fence during the homestretch, regardless of their position on the little map. If you lose the round, move as close to the yellow as you can get and you'll still reduce your chances of starting the homestretch surrounded by horses.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Market Crashers is fun and very bad

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Electric Phantasm posted:

That makes a lot sense considering the platforms. Although I was hoping it meant some sort of chef premise where you collect ingredients by beating up monsters and get disappointed every time trailer pops up.

Burger Time RPG is the great franchise revival that never happened

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Shadow225 posted:

Hello thread,

I recently picked up a N3DSXL used, and I'm looking to revisit the DS and 3DS libraries for any and all gems I've missed. I want to compile a list of must have, unique, or console defining experiences for both libraries. I wanted to start with the DS library since I should hopefully be able to grab these games for cheapish. I've been looking at the v recommended game list in addition to any Top X list I could find, and came up with the following for the DS:

Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Bangai-O Spirits
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
Chibi-Robo! Park Patrol
Chrono Trigger DS
Contact
Elite Beat Agents
Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift
Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon
Front Mission DS
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Last Window: The Secret of Cape West
Inazuma Eleven
Kirby Canvas Curse
Kirby Squeak Squad
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Kirby: Mass Attack
Knights in the Nightmare
The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
Mega Man Zero Collection
Mega Man ZX / Mega Man ZX Advent
New Super Mario Bros.
Okamiden
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice For All
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Pokémon Conquest
Professor Layton and the Curious Village
Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Professor Layton and the Unwound Future
Professor Layton and the Last Specter
Radiant Historia
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
Super Princess Peach
The World Ends With You
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

I don't need to own all of the Pokemon games, 999 is available in a bundle on Steam, and the Devil Survivor games seem to have 3DS ports. Is there anything I'm missing on the list from the DS library?

XX/XY Feel the Magic, Picross 3D, and Rhythm Heaven are must-plays. And don't bother with Partners in Time or Contact.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Why do you say that? I loved that game.

I got it when it came out, and I remember the combat and just being grueling. I wanted to like it so much, but it felt like a real chore to play and I gave up about halfway through the game.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Argh, I'm replaying VLR I'm at the part where you have the coded message from the Myrmidons, and the key. I made a note of the key in the Memo pad, the game was displaying the coded message on the top screen, but when I opened the memo pad again it covered the coded message. I can't get the memo pad to stop stealing the top screen. If I open anything from the Archive it shows the message for a split second before then showing whatever I've opened from the archive. And I don't think that coded message is in any of my files or secrets. Just kind of an annoying bug.

I remember that puzzle vividly, but I don't remember the solution. I just remember it being bullshit.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

There's no way this game is not good

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

AcidRonin posted:

So now that I've come to terms that if I want a. NEw 3ds and live in America I'm forced to buy the big one, is there any reason to not buy a new 2ds? Also has anyone had any luck using larger than "officially" supported memory cards with the 32 GB cluster size method? In TYOOL 2017 I'm very annoyed with having to own game cartridges.

Yes, it works perfectly fine. I had a 64 GB and now I have a 128 GB, and there've been no issues.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Croccers posted:

What's a reasonably decent racing game that isn't Mario Kart?

Ridge Racer 3DS is totally adequate and can be found used for $3 to $5.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

MPLS to NOLA posted:

What's the best (n)3ds game? I got SMTIV already.

Etrian Odyssey IV and Super Hang On

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Monkey Fracas posted:

Pocket Jockey held me in its thrall for months

I have to actively stop myself from launching pocket jockey because whenever I do, it envelops my all free time for a month at a time.