Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Moana was loving phenomenal, and was definitely better than Zootopia, which took the Oscar for Best Animated Film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Alterian posted:

I wish Moana came out when I was a kid. I would have loved to have a kids movie with a female protagonist that does actual courageous things and absolutely no love interest subplot.

Yeah, I really don't get the complaints that it's the same ol' Disney movie all over again. When was the last time there was a Disney Princess movie without a romantic interest? Hell, when was the last Disney movie (outside of Pixar) that lacked a true villain? There are a couple antagonists in the movie, but no true villain.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

The_Rob posted:

This sounds pretty bad. There is a hero who is perfect and everyone already loves, and there isn't even a real villain? What the hell even happens in the movie do they just sit around and enjoy the weather?

Yes. That's exactly what happens in the movie. You got it.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Michael Corleone posted:

So, is this show like SuperMarket Sweep with cooking? I would watch that!

I mean, if you can put up with Guy Fieri

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Insterstellar is fantastic, and I cry every time I watch the ending.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

never seen anyone post about it here but Mozart in the Jungle is a fun show to watch

It won the Golden Globe for best comedy series. I love the cast, but I watched the first 2 episodes and just could not get into it. Is it one of those shows that don't get good until like episode 8? Or is it just not for me?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

nate fisher posted:

Amazon? Nothing. I have yet seen an Amazon show I found amazing. While I liked Goliath, it felt like too much like a network television series that was edited to be uncensored. I will be watching season 2 , but it is a pure David Kelley show (which is not too bad of a thing).

To be fair I haven't watched Patriot (I will correct that soon). I am just surprised people think Amazon originals compare to Netflix. I can understand if you are doing an average, but I find Netflix top shows vastly superior. Please prove me wrong (I need new shows to watch since I am caught up on almost everything now).

I really like Catastrophe. And Carrie Fisher was just nominated for an Emmy for her role on the show.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Basebf555 posted:

Hacksaw Ridge is on HBOGO now, is that appropriate for this thread?

How the hell did this movie get Oscar nominations? Well, I know how, but I still can't accept it. It's so unbelievably mediocre and I can't believe Garfield's performance in Silence was overshadowed by this one-note performance that's going to be forgotten by next year.

It's like every year there has to be at least one legitimately bad movie nominated for Best Picture. Usually they're correctly ignored, like Hacksaw Ridge. Sometimes they win, like Crash.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

A MIRACLE posted:

I wonder how 3rd Rock from the Sun holds up

Very well. It had a phenomenal cast, and the premise is a classic fish out of water scenario. It didn't rely on pop culture references, which is the quickest way to ensure that a piece of comedy will not age well (ie The Big Bang Theory).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yes, mainstream garbage sitcom that was garbage back then still holds up.

I wonder if My Two Dads holds up. Hard to think it wouldn't, what with the powerhouse duo of Reiser and Evigan.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Wilhelm Scream posted:

And come September, Hulu is getting Full House, Family Matters, Perfect Strangers, Step by Step and Hanging with Mr. Cooper.

It's gonna be like reliving primetime television when I was growing up all over again.

It'd be amazing if they had a TGIF feature where you couldn't just binge one show, you had to watch one episode each in order.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

wa27 posted:

Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later is available on Netflix now. I hope it's good!

I had to dig around for it. It wasn't anywhere on the front page for some reason. Same thing happened when Netflix released Rogue One.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

radical meme posted:

"Colossal" is a colossal pice of poo poo. It doesn't work on any level. It's proof positive that movie critics are complete idiots and that rottentomatoes.com is horrible at gauging movies. If you want to watch a story of two narcissistic drunks destroying their lives, the lives of innocent people around them and suffering no consequences for their stupidity, then this is the show for you. How the hell does anybody watch this show and come away thinking, "hey that was pretty good". It was bad, really bad.

I really liked it. I question your judgment and sanity.

radical meme posted:

loosing

I also just realized that you're posting drunk.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 5, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

tweet my meat posted:

Defenders is up and it's pretty good so far.

It's fun, I'm having fun so far, but it suffers from some plot holes, and inconsistent characterization. And they like, completely forgot that Jessica can jump super high.

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 18, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

david_a posted:

I watched the Matrix Trilogy this week (Netflix). If you're wondering if the movies improve if you have a fever, they do not.

I still think the first one could stand to be a bit shorter. The most dated aspect is clearly the too-cool-for-skool costumes they wear in the Matrix. You would think they would want to keep a low profile so they wouldn't get spotted by an Agent (since they apparently can do a sweep for people who see "unusual" things) but they're all dressed like they walked out of a music video. It's like they intentionally designed this movie to be as appealing to teenage boys as possible.

Reloaded was worse than I remembered and Revolutions... wasn't as bad? I think it mainly benefited from extremely low expectations on my part. Reloaded really feels like it could be improved tremendously with editing. Nearly every fight involving Neo is boring and pointless and can be heavily trimmed or removed entirely (the agents at the beginning, the worthless teahouse fight with Seraph, etc). I still don't get why the power suit things in the third one have absolutely no protection for the rider, but if you start going down the Tactical Realism rabbit hole you'll start wondering why the machines didn't use chemical/nuclear weapons so whatever. The ship maneuvering through the tunnels was a lot better done than I remembered.

Honestly the second/third movies weren't quite as bad as I had made them out to be over a decade of not watching them. I'm in no hurry to rewatch them, but if the rumors of a fourth movie are true I don't think it would be the end of the world.

Yeah, I think your assessments are pretty apt. I also rewatched the first one recently, and while it is still a fun movie, the technology and edgy fashion do date it. It's not the mind-blowing movie I thought it was in high school where I could watch it on repeat over and over. i think I rented it from Blockbuster a good 10 times before my parents finally let me buy it.

Reloaded is definitely the weakest of the three. There are some cool fight scenes, and the highway chase is still pretty great, it was too much like the first one.

And Revolutions I actually think is pretty great, precisely because they spend so little time in the Matrix. They could have explained things better, I still don't understand why Neo had some powers outside of the Matrix, but it's I think a legit good movie. I never understood all the hate for it.

I'm curious to see what they're going to do with this new movie. I think they said it's neither a remake nor a sequel.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lycus posted:

The show jokes about this internally, but I really thought White Gold was going to be about cocaine.

What's it about then? Based on the photo I assumed it was about a bunch of Wall Street guys in the 80s doing a bunch of cocaine.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

Is The Crown any good? I watched a PBS documentary about Princess Diana last night and am now a royal family enthusiast™

I enjoyed it. Watch it.

I'd say that it won a bunch of awards for a reason, but then I remembered that the Golden Globes named Mozart in the Jungle best tv comedy show, and I was like, uuhhhh, nevermind.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Should have called it The Big Bong Theory.

Is it meditatively bad? Sometimes I let mawkish sitcom poo poo wash over me like a stupefying wave after work and it really helps dull the pain of existence.

I don't think you're getting it. It is literally created by the same guy who did Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men. If you can tolerate those, then sure. I personally can't tolerate them enough to even have on in the background, so I won't be checking out Disjointed, despite my love of Kathy Bates.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I watched the first episode of this high with a friend and it was just weird. I don't know a lot about Lorre and I never watched Big Bang Theory, but wtf. I think it got one laugh out of me and I was really high, so that should tell you that it mostly provoked anxiety and bafflement
like there's a whole freaky PTSD gag with spoken poetry...was that meant to make me laugh or cry? he's just like staring ahead with dead eyes.
THIS was the dark side of marijuana legalization :( just say no.
my lasting impression of Chuck Lorre was "Did this motherfucker just sign off with an elaborate medieval crest?"

Just keep in mind that Chuck Lorre and CBS in general caters to the lowest of the lowest common denominator.

I seem to remember one time Lorre ranting in an interview that he didn't understand why Arrested Development gets so much praise, when really it's just like his own sitcoms.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

drunken officeparty posted:

Season 2 was fine.

It wasn't.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

fishtobaskets posted:

I'm a little surprised nobody's posted about The Good Place yet. It's light, enjoyable fluff and Ted Danson is great in it. I've been surprised by all the sensible chuckles. Everything Disjointed fucks up horribly from a sitcom perspective, The Good Place gets right.

Janet owns, also.

E: i coulda sworn it was a netflix original, thus the tone of my post. It all makes sense now.

I'm actually rewatching it now as we speak. What started as a cute dismissable show, turned into one of the most brilliant shows of the last decade.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

morestuff posted:

The Good Place has some solid jokes but all the sight gags are terrible and cheap-looking, I'm glad they mostly move away from them. It could be a great show if they do a small retool like Schur did after Parks + Rec season 1

Well, isn't that exactly what that twist ending does?

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

air- posted:

Holy shirt The Good Place was worth binging, phenomenal finale and I can't wait for more :tviv:

Seriously can't remember the last time a twist got me, that show went from Parks and Rec to Westworld in half an hour. I started feeling a hunch when the flashbacks with Tahani being so obsessed with her self image, but couldn't quite grasp the big picture.

Yeah, it's one of those shows that seem cute but kind of dumb on concept. It's hard to sell people on it, because you can't really convince people without spoiling anything for them. It's more of one of those shows where somebody has to trust your taste, and take your word on it.

I'm excited for season 2.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Speaking of Hulu, didn't Broad City return last night? I went to go watch it this morning, and they didn't have it up.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
The new version of the Hulu app on the PS4 is really just absolute crap. Sure, it's pretty, but the UI makes zero sense. And it crashes all the time. And every time it crashes, it doesn't remember where I was in the middle of the episode, and when I reload it, it wants to start at the very start of the episode.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Anybody got an opinion on "Whatever happened to monday"? Been thinkin' about watchin it.

It was fine. Enjoyable. Predictable. But it had some good moments. Save it for a Sunday afternoon when you're hungover and can barely move.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Basically, they tried to make Orphan Black the movie but failed to cast Tatiana Maslaney.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Lycus posted:

The weird thing about Schitt's Creek is at first glance it looks like another "mean comedy", but it's actually pretty upbeat.

And Daniel Levy is so dreamy. And ridiculously funny to boot. Probably the only pansexual male character on television? And played by an openly gay actor.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Teenage Fansub posted:

Noah Baumbach's Netflix movie, The Meyerowitz Stories, is fantastic.
It's up there with Francis Ha for my fave Baum right now.

I watched it too. Based on the way it was presented, I thought it would be a series of shorts. And he kind of films it that way, but it's still the same story, and same characters.

Great movie.

I also watched Gerald's Game, a Netflix original movie based on a Stephen King story about a husband and wife who go to an isolated lake house to try and kink up their sex life. It was, enh. Watchable, but enh.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm rewatching Twin Peaks on Netflix for the first time in 12 years, and after having watched the incredible new season. While there are certainly some moments of brilliance in the series, there are definitely some aspects that have aged really poorly. Of course all the silliness the show descended to in the middle of season 2, like Nadine gaining super strength and thinking she is 16, or everything with James.

But what really sticks out to me now if how they feel the need to actively use every single cast member in every single episode. Nobody can take a week off. So a lot of the time they just randomly pair townies with Agent Cooper on his stakeouts. Need to take a hike in the woods to investigate some creepy poo poo? Well, why not bring local fisherman Pete Martell. An undercover sting at the local brothel? Well, let's get the gas station owner involved for no apparent reason.

Also, they use the exact same 2 backing tracks in every single episode: Laura's theme, or Audrey Horne's theme.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

mysterious frankie posted:

Anyone check out 1922 yet? I liked it, it's an EC comics style old school horror\noir story.

E: Everyone talking about Wheelman and the Netflix low\mid budget pictures opportunity bringing certain kinds of movies that can't be made in Hollywood anymore back to life made me think about it. 1922 seems like the kind of movie that Hollywood stopped making around the late 90s, early 00's.

Yeah, it was fine. There wasn't much horror, but I enjoyed it enough, and Tom Jane was great as always.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

LadyPictureShow posted:

Most films based off of Steven King books are total slogs. (Night Shift... not even once)

Thomas Jane is a treasure though. He acts his rear end in everything, regardless of quality. The Punisher and Stand-Off are both guilty pleasures of mine (both on Netflix). Stand-Off also has Laurence Fishburne chewing the scenery like a maniac. I was not expecting a movie about a man trying to prevent a hitman from coming up a staircase to be so entertaining.

Don't forget about his role on the criminally underrated The Expanse.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Franchescanado posted:

My Tarantino ranking (as of now)

-Django
-Jackie
-Basterds
-Pulp
-Resevoir
-Bill 2
-Bill 1
-Hateful
-Death Proof

Which order is this in? Best to worst or worst to best? I honestly can't tell. There are people making arguments for all of these movies.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Baronash posted:

Any good films in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy, where people suddenly end up taking care of kids?

Baby Boom

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Asnorban posted:

I’ve heard a lot of hate for Hateful 8, but I’ve not heard anyone give an explanation for it. Why do you all dislike it so much?

I loved it, but I’ve always liked bottle episodes of tv shows, so a bottle episode on steroids with Walton Goggins chewing scenery makes me an easy mark.

Yeah, I don't get it. I thought it was great.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm almost done with season 2 of Stranger things, and it's really not that great. It's like they asked themselves, "You know all that stuff that made the first season so great? Yeah, let's get rid of all of that."

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I put it down halfway into the first episode because it was really starting to feel like a buzzfeed article about, "remember Oingo Boingo and video arcades." I'll pick it up again eventually, but right now it feels a little too inorganic, like a consumer product I'm instructed by the media to enjoy.

Yea, there are definitely a lot of winks and nods to the audience to criticisms from the first season.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

There is an episode of Master of None where Aziz and his cousin bomb around and eat food together (which isn't a spoiler since every episode in the show is "people eat food together"). The plot itself wasn't bad, but, oh man, was his cousin the worst actor I've ever seen on TV. I know he is family and not professional, but boy oh boy, I did not enjoy his performance one bit.

Yeah, he's not an actor. He's his cousin Harris! The cousin that Aziz has been making jokes about in his standup for a decade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3DO450VJ0Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA74oEenClU

"Life's a dirty game. You gotta play dirty to win it." - a chubby kid named Harris

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Nov 6, 2017

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Parachute posted:

elysium was good and the worst part was jodie foster's accent. wtf was going on with that?

I remember at the time she explained it as she was a person raised around computers, so naturally she grew up with a Siri accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Super Fan posted:

Isn’t Goldeneye the only good Bond? It’s been awhile since I’ve seen them

Probably, although you'll probably have a lot of people naming other good films. I just know that it's the only one I still enjoy watching.