Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Strawberry Panda posted:

LeBron just admitted steroid use by saying "back to the lab tomorrow."

He means the lab they built him and Westbrook in. Obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Metapod posted:

you are mistaken. lebron is a super human like batman not a robot like westbrook and timmy

True. Terminators don't lose their hair.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

the_american_dream posted:

I love this man. Please tell me the shot clock was not running down and it is not a shot he even had to take

Steve Kerr had the best reaction to this shot "What the gently caress are you doing...HOLY poo poo"

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

chunkles posted:

I know very little about pre 00s NBA but I've spent a fair amount of time watching Pistol Pete highlights on youtube and it's a good idea if you have 10-20 minutes to kill. Some seriously great showboating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qv0YS1wHoQ

He was amazing, Pistol Pete is one of my absolute favorite players.

I love that you can see him do a Dream Shake type spin/ball fake/shot. In black and white, like what, 25 years before Hakeem played. He'd be Steph Curry but taller and faster if he played today.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

straight up brolic posted:

we're the third best team in the NBA via MoV, have the best ORTG, have had a reigning 1st team all-nbaer out for a month, and have played the toughest schedule in the NBA other than the Lakers.

the biggest problem come the postseason is the fact that we foul/get called for fouls way too loving much.

You are around the middle 3rd in foul differential. CP3 is also one of the most physical defenders in the league - he grabs and reaches every play but has the *gritty defender* label so he gets away with it.

If anyone should complain it's GSW - they're the only good team in the bottom ten. And Atlanta, who plays very similarly, is like 6 (which is some bullshit).

LAC's spacing is hosed unless Reddick is playing well. It's gonna come down to matchup but I bet Jamal wins a game or two.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

straight up brolic posted:

ahem I think you'll find that they lost the finals because Lebron choked, and then he gave up twitter and read The Hunger Games and then he won.

my point is that you're acting as if spacing is some deadly flaw for the Clippers offense. It's not. We shoot a ton of threes and we have the second highest efg and ts% in the league. Our wings are just shooters and cutters. Our front court doesn't really provide much spacing, but Blake can operate as a ball handler out on the wing so that's how we get spacing out there.

I just don't see the spacing issues. I watch all the games. We're not really congested on offense, players aren't running into eachother. Jordan providing nothing but dunks is the biggest spacing issue with the team, but the same Mavs team proved you can succeed with a player that does that in Tyson Chandler. Blake's range isn't what Dirk's is, but he can keep teams honest with his jumper now and that was a massive development in the growth of offense this season. Blake operating with the ball at the elbow and CP3 off the ball was getting us amazing looks before his injury.

It's more that I think a small flaw quickly becomes deadly against good teams over 7 games.

I think in the playoffs teams will heavily pack the paint, cover Reddick and Paul and live with Blake jumpers and Barnes 3's. And those two are too streaky to win several playoff series in the West.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

In 2008 the Golden State didn't make the playoffs despite getting 48 wins, and they were eliminated a few days before that and didn't really try in their last 2 games IIRC. Otherwise they could've been a 50 win team that went home. In the East, the Hawks made the playoffs with 37 wins and the Cavaliers got a series at home with 45 wins. Progress.

And GSW got eliminated because Baron Davis played that game (against Phoenix) obviously hung over. Not that I'm still bitter or anything.

I wonder what he would have become if he'd cared more and actually took care of himself.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
On a scale of 1 to Bill Walton, how hosed up is Durant's foot really? I mean, at what point do they just shut him down and call the season? If he's going to be out one or two more weeks, are they even going to make the playoffs? I'd hate to see the guy ruin his career because he tried to play before he should.

On a different note, I've always felt the WNBA should pay its players way more. Vet min 100k+ - there are, what, 150 players in that league? Pay them enough to be able actually take their offseason off instead of having to play in Europe or wherever.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
The games that Walton and Tolbert used to do together were always incredible.

Walton came to a Warriors game in January and they interviewed him a couple times. He spent most of it talking about Jim Barnett, it was amazing.

I wonder if the dude still smokes a ton of weed or he's just permanently high at this point.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Hawks/GS Finals is going to be awesome

Any day Sir Foster gets the opportunity to play a national broadcast is a good day.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Libertine posted:

I'm really excited for this year's playoffs because according to Hollinger's odds we got an ~89% chance of having a champion who hasn't already won a title in the last 30 years. That's a very specific thing, but it's one of the things I've always hated the most about the NBA is how the same drat teams win it every single year.

Only 8 teams have won the NBA title in the last 30 years.

And if GSW or ATL win I bet some analyst will refer to them as small-market teams (because they aren't New York, Boston or LA).

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Declan MacManus posted:

Absolutely, a healthy Wade in his prime is probably a better player than a healthy Kobe in his prime

I love Wade (and I've always felt he plays better within a team), but prime Kobe was incredible.

Add another decent guard to this Heat team and they'd be pretty drat good, I think.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
What I wonder about Lillard: was his 3pt% last season an aberration? He was like 35% his rookie season, which is about what he is now. That's respectable but probably not great long term for a dude that jacks them up off the dribble so much.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm still surprised that Don Nelson of all people didn't utilize Nash like D'Antoni did. People give Pringles credit for creating uptempo basketball but Nellie's been doing that poo poo forever. The current NBA is like Nellie's wildest dreams come to life.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

dokmo posted:

What made the Suns offense great or different wasn't the pace, but the use of drag screens on the break. I can't remember anyone using them much in the pre DAntoni era, now of course everyone does.

I feel like the whole "take a shot within 7 seconds" was definitely new and hyped up. And it was much faster compared to the Spurs, Detroit, etc.
But yeah, they were dedicated to flowing right into a screen and roll if they couldn't get an early dunk. Which also fit their personnel very well.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

MourningView posted:

Spurs have been a lot better than they were but Golden State is still the best team in the west. I don't know if people are just bored of them now or default to picking the Spurs or what. Not that SA doesn't have a chance, but Golden State should still be the favorites to come out of the West, especially with home court.

The Spurs look better now, but that just means they have an inexplicable loss every 3 or 4 games instead of every other game.

If Iguodala plays like he did against Atlanta I don't think anyone can beat GSW in a 7 game series. Otherwise I think SAS takes it. Unless Parker re-injures himself or something.

Really though, it's going to be hard to beat GSW in a 7 game series where they have homecourt unless they completely fall apart.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Along with that discussion of rookie coaches having poor sustained success, can someone explain how Avery Johnson was so successful with Dallas? I mostly think of him as an outmatched coach and there doesn't a lot of people who disagree with that. Now they were a good team before and after he left but those were with 2 great coaches themselves and while it's obviously a good roster it wasn't ridiculously stacked either.

He inherited a team with good players and got them to play some defense. They'd been good for a while. Nellie laid the groundwork for that team for sure.

I always felt they were built specifically to defeat San Antonio. Turns out Baron Davis can push guards he outweighs by 30 lbs around pretty easily. (Nellie knowing exactly how to attack Dirk helped a lot too)
I wonder if the Jazz series would have been closer if he hadn't hosed up his hamstring.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
RIP Kevin Durant, you were too beautiful for this world.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Jack's Flow posted:

I really believe Kerr succeeds and will continue to succeed because unlike Jackson he isn't totally full of himself. Kerr doesn't believe he is a "born leader", and I am more than happy to admit that I was totally wrong about him. The lesson, as always, is: gently caress Mark Jackson.

He may not be full of himself, but Kerr's snark game is on point.
"Worried that we'll split the series? Nah, couldn't be something like we're 10 games up or anything :smugdog:"

I started believing he might actually know what he was doing when Speights gave that "no coach has ever tried to build me up and be positive with me before"

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Considering he is a Pop acolyte it's not surprising. Pop would invite him to Spurs coach retreats and worked with him during and after his tenure here in San Antonio. Pop has a great eye for coaches. I can't wait to see Becky Hammon, NBA head coach.

Oh definitely. He readily admits his two main influences are Pop and Phil Jackson. And those two are like the snarkiest coaches in the last 20 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
I'm wondering if Westbrook's going to hurt himself going 10000000 miles an hour every game. It'd be even worse if they fell out of the playoffs and he hurt himself trying to win the last couple games.

I beseech the basketball gods to withhold any injuries for the rest of the season so we can have awesome playoffs.

How hurt is Tiago Splitter? How is Milsap?

• Locked thread