Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Bogus AWOL is hilarious. Some asshat forgot to Email out a 4187 for like a month and tried to DFR a guy who'd been showing up to the "wrong" unit.

Real AWOLs are a real pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

McNally posted:

I brought this up in the hangout but I think it's worth discussing here too.

My wife attempted suicide in October and her Reserve unit put her on orders so she could be seen by mental health.

Clearly it didn't work because she committed suicide in December.

I have a copy of the Army's investigation report. Here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

So apparently instead of getting a soldier help, the Army was more worried about making sure boxes get checked and playing CYA.

I really really wish I could sue the Army. I guess I'll have to settle for sending an angry letter to my congresscritters, the COS, the Secretary of the Army, probably every member of the House and Senate Armed Forces committees, and every media outlet I can find addresses for.

Holy poo poo. I am exceedingly grateful that when I had an NCO directly express desire to kill himself, no one in my chain asked such dumb poo poo. In-patient care, some home visits, different meds and no one spoke a word of loving up his NCOER over it or reassigning him to a do-nothing job. The Army makes it so easy, frankly, to not gently caress people over but time and time again we see some units or leadership go that way.

I saw similarly lovely CoC response when a soldier who used to be in my platoon was killed after his motorcycle riding partner hosed up and ran him off the road and into a pole.

No one cared that the police report didn't say poo poo about speeding, he had all his gear on, was sober, etc. It was a lot of senior leaders looking at pictures of his sport bike and laying the blame directly on the unit and his peers because they should have magically dissuaded a young guy from getting a CBR 600RR.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Last time I was at Knox taxi was 1$ to anywhere you wanted to go. :jiggled:

Story time: Saw an 0-6 fail his PT test this morning. Pretty much on purpose.

So there's this NCO who, if he wasn't in the army, would be wearing a fedora and living in his mother's basement. Acne, gross habits, whiny, everyone hates him. He's in the G-2 shop (that explains a lot).

This NCO is grading one line of people for the pushup event and the COL is first in line. I hear this NCO's whiny bitch-rear end voice going "one, one, one, you need to go all the way down, two, two, break the plane, three, three" At this point the COL just gets up says "gently caress this, and gently caress you" to the NCO and storms off the field.

Welp that goony NCO was grading wrong anyway so gently caress it!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

COL re-took it and passed. NCO isn't allowed to grade PT tests anymore (apparently he was hosed up).

If you say one, one, one, etc you're not doing it by the book, so gently caress people that do so forever.

I've gotten up when someone pulled that poo poo at a school. Surprise, she failed basically every person who didn't get up and the school ended up retesting those people. Now, after ten reps, free reign to poo poo on someone's day, I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

The answers aren't remotely hard, it's having to sit through Tina handing me a CD of the latest music and asking me if I want to listen to it on my top secret computer.

It's just a waste of time for trivial questions that test basic knowle--oh my god its an analogy for the army as a whole.

The office is on fire. What would you like to do next?

Clicks exit door, fails because of CAC card.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the drowned personnel at Hood was a USMA cadet so the investigation and turbofucking of careers will likely get turned up to 11. Rule 1 of hosting cadets: don't kill them.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

SumYungGui posted:

Sure the people responsible will be turbofucked as they rightly deserve. I have two problems with it though. First is that it will be "career ending" letters of reprimand or something for getting others killed with your own stupidity, likely nothing else like, say, actual punishment. Sorry if I don't see a precious noble's career as punishment, I know others feel that it is but I'll never agree.

On the one hand, when you're in charge of a ton of people instead of say, 40, the odds of having some terrible poo poo happen go up just by rule of numbers. On the other, I've seen some blatantly illegal or incredibly stupid poo poo happen where we'd at minimum be taking a month's pay and chaptering a more junior soldier, but since they're a rather senior O or NCO, all that happens is a bad review and being told they shouldn't hang around for another promotion.

See also: corporate America.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm not some hair nazi, but there is something hilarious about a new LT showing up and being told immediately by 5 different NCOs that they need to cut their loving hair, doubly so when their response is that they got it cut the day prior.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

MightyJoe36 posted:

I did this whenever someone tried to give me poo poo about my mustache.

The only line of 670-1 that matters is the one that says the Cdr can say gently caress you, look different tomorrow.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Geirskogul posted:

If you get to the point where you're up for a moh, just give them the moh without CRITICISING THE WRITING STYLE

I haven't been in a position to recommend anything close to a MoH but routinely I'm told that someone absolutely deserves an MSM, but first I'll need to research all of their achievements ever in excruciating detail and then pick and choose what a COL I've never met might think is important or the GO who can approve it won't even see it.

It's frustrating.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I'm trying to find the article that I read a few years back that was like "Army doesn't even know what this guys job is"

it was some general I think that had been relieved of a command and just hung out at the pentagon.

Anyhow maybe he is the dragon?

He was a NYC teacher.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Leveraging social media!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Thought I was dating a chick, turned out to be some old dude named Uncle Sam.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

whens the last time a stinger was fired in combat that wasnt immediately followed by takbirs?

By the Air Force. They missed and a Foxbat ate their Predator.

I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

The worst thing they can do when someone gets E5 is not move them into a different squad. Being an NCao and being forced to make your buddies do bullshit sucks real bad.

Leadership-challenge.txt.

I've been in too long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

Why would you get out of your armored vehicle and advance on foot across a large area with no cover.

Because the Marine rifleman will advance across a field, or stack on a door, or breach the bridgehead, or hold the line because he knows that over his shoulder he has the full combined arms power of the MAGTF, and the MAGTF commander will use a single battle concept to lock the enemy in the horns of a dilemma.

That's probably actually written in MCWP 3-1 somewhere.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Wasabi the J posted:

My sections OIC is a Marine mustang who has the biggest hard-on for being a Marine (joint environment is loving stupid).

He loving says OODA loop unironically.

While at a Marine school I wrote "lock the enemy in the horns of a dilemma" as part of my essay answer on a test and the grader circled it and wrote YES OOHRAH!!! underlined three or four times.

Sometimes you gotta play the game.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Purple heart is the only one that I know of.

And it's only like free car tags and parking stuff.

MoH, obviously!

Also Indiana hooks it up:

quote:

A person who entered active duty from a permanent home address in Indiana, received the Purple Heart Medal and received an honorable discharge, is eligible to pay the resident tuition rate at a state supported college or university and, if otherwise possesses the requisite academic qualifications, is entitled to Tuition and Fee Exemption for 124 semester credit hours. If the student receives financial aid through any other source, the remission of fees is adjusted accordingly. Reference IC 21-14-10 for complete details and criteria.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I had a soldier who had the funniest loving profile. He gets back from an appointment with his slip, which said nothing unsurprising. It was in an opened envelope with an unsigned hand written message that said words to the effect of "Soldier may be slightly drowsy from medication for duration of prescription (several weeks). Allow him to choose his work hours and to sleep when he wants. He should not be made to do anything against his will as he may be sleepy."

I call the doctor thinking the soldier wrote that himself. Nope! Doctor essentially asks if he really needs to use official paperwork and "look, this Soldier is a real pain, why not just let him hang out in his room and play video games all day? He asked me to write him a profile saying he didn't have to do anything."

When he was awake and walking around if you asked him to do anything at all, he would collapse in a heap and say the drowsiness was washing over him.

We came to a slight semblance of an accord when he stopped calling IG and wandering off on his own and I stopped sending him to the hospital when he'd feign a collapse.

It was a good day when he got shipped home after his chapter packet went through. He missed a connecting flight on his way home and called CQ for help and they told him that in civilian life you have to be able to figure out an airport all by yourself.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm just laughing at the idea of telling the 1SG "shouldn't you know I have a profile?" And expecting that to go well even if the 1SG was dumb.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

all apologies posted:

Kinda hosed up but I knew a poo poo ton of NCOs like that. Their actions showed me what not to do as a NCO.

Nah, I stand by that CQ. They did ask "have you even tried talking to the desk agent?" and when he said no told him to maybe try that and hung up. When we checked with the airline the next morning, the kid had been ticketed and flown home. The soldier was the worst example of getting all pissy and punching walls and making a scene because I'M AN ADULT and then immediately floundering and losing his poo poo and being unable to do basic things like dress himself or walk to the DFAC to get his own food or show up for any of his appointments on time without being handwalked all of 300 meters over there by an NCO, all the while complaining that he's a big boy and he can get to his appointments on his own.

The kid legit has mental issues, IMO, so I shouldn't just poo poo all over him, but he was a real pain in the rear end to have around.

He was basically this except somehow even less capable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hot Rod is the best poo poo. Pop Star owned if only for the bin laden and not gay song.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

How in the gently caress can you ban driving?

You can't unless deployed but some lawyers suck.

I've been in more than a few meetings where a senior leader tries to ban some random poo poo and the trial counsel has to throw a fit cause it's totally illegal.

I sometimes have to tell NCOs that having a bad feeling about a soldier isn't grounds for searching all of their belongings and their person and also, no, I can't banish their families from the state.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Justin Tyme posted:

I swear the army needs to mandate a legal class to O3s and 1SGs before they can take over a company because this poo poo is asinine beyond belief. Yet post it to facebook and all the mouthbreathers come out of the woodwork to say "it's duh armee u dont have rights u do what they say and when they say to du it suk it up!!!"

There isn't an army-wide one, but every post I've been on has had a mandatory CDR/1SG course that covers this stuff. And CCC covers it. The BN and BDE CDR pre-command courses cover this. Plus, my current unit requires that E-7s and up attend a "how not to violate everyone's rights and/or land yourself in trouble" briefing, done by a lawyer in person rather than a powerpoint jockey leafing through the slides. I still see officers with a decidedly authoritarian bent who seem to think that UCMJ just requires 51% of the evidence for a finding of guilty or that blanket punishments for an offense, regardless of circumstances are OK, and that obviously anyone choosing to exercise their right not to talk or write a statement is automatically guilty. A good trial counsel will keep those officers in check, because in addition to not wanting to look like an idiot if the Soldier goes to IG or takes an offense to court martial, the TC actually gives a gently caress about the integrity of the law and soldiers' rights. A bad TC might not care or will just be too weak in the spine to stand up to the commanders and let them know when they're going too far.

I sat in on a fatality review board years ago where a sober soldier had died smashing his car into an underpass at about triple the speed limit. Soldier had no misconduct as a soldier until his death, but had a couple speeding tickets from before he joined the army that wouldn't even warrant popping up when getting his clearance. The post JAG rep and MP rep and off-post police reps got badgered nonstop as to why they didn't check the driving record of every single new recruit and why commanders couldn't just take the keys from any soldier with an "unsafe driving record" even if that record was that they'd sped on a couple of occasions years before they joined the Army, when they were still minors. Then the post CSM and BDE CDR blew up the squad leader who admitted he had given a squad safety brief, but had not pulled each soldier aside for a 1 on 1 "under the shade tree" counseling to address their specific risk factors. By the end, the battery command team and NCOs as well as the various legal authorities were being openly hostile with the panel of O-6s and the CG.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teflon Don posted:

*bursts into room* You're getting stop lossed

Had a CSM keep telling a unit they were stop lossed. They weren't. One of the soldiers should have ETSd while on the ship taking equipment to the Middle East. His pay was all hosed when he got in theater a couple weeks later. He shrugged it off and reenlisted. lol.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lol IDK my anyone would take some CSM at his word that they were stoplossed. It shows on you ERB as a "surprise your ETS date is different"

source, I've been stoplossed

He said it as fact for months. S1 would point out that it wasn't true and he'd just say no one is going anywhere because he knows it's going to happen 100% any day now, so just state it as fact. This was well after big army had announced stop losses would become rare for very special missions or skill sets.

I guess it was effective. A ton of people deployed who were supposed to get out pretty soon then got enticed by tax free reenlistment bonuses.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not much happened to him AFAIK, other than the finance/HRC lanes being annoyed that now they had to retroactively stop-loss someone they never should have stoplossed to make the soldier's pay right. If that soldier had made a huge deal out of it, it might have hurt the CSM's career, but I guess his planned civilian employment fell through for reasons not related to his "stoploss" and his available bonus increased in the first couple months of deployment, so the soldier overall was glad it happened, even though he realized it was all very stupid. The CSM went on to become CSM of increasingly large organizations. He had a reputation for saying some outrageous things, which a couple times resulted in the colonel yanking him out from in front of formation when he went too far, but also for being well liked and very effective when it came to networking with other orgs or civilian agencies to get resources or perks for those in his unit. The biggest gripe with him from NCOs was that if he decided on day 1, he didn't like you, there was basically zero chance you were going to change his mind over time. With officers, it was that he fundamentally didn't understand how our weapon systems worked and would direct NCOs to build field sites that made it impossible to do gunnery, so it was a cat and mouse game of him showing up and suddenly there'd be a dug-in bunker in the way of gunnery and then the officers determining whether it was more work for the soldiers to fill the bunker in when he left or just move our systems so we could still train.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

at the date posted:

the most barracks of lawyers

"I talked to legal and they said you were violating my rights and also article 138"

"Who at legal said that?"

"GI Rights Hotline" :downs:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

OK but he is enlisted and getting out on a medboard, literal scum of the earth, and they gently caress with him already for being fat. no one is going to bend over backwards for him like a week out before ETS.

I'd love to be wrong but call it a hunch

Things I've been blown the gently caress up for and had to fix immediately: not submitting an award even if late, even if the person was a med board with all but no time in.

Things I've been bitched at for, but it got through: turning in an award at the last minute.

E: got an ARCOM through on short notice for a med board junior NCO who also had some catastrophic report to the CG style mental/family poo poo go down while the award was up for consideration.

Just because your first line is being a prick doesn't mean everyone totally agrees with them.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 22, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If I were hiring in the civilian world and knew a former NCO or officer ETS'd with no award I'd tend to think they either did nothing but respirate or that they hosed up enough to be lucky not to be given a really bad chapter.

The most recent off the top of my head reasons I saw people leave without an award were officers sleeping with lower enlisted, DUI separations, going to jail, Chapter 14 cases, and people who by all rights should have received UCMJ or been facing investigation but were allowed to quietly exit with no award and a bad review.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Teflon Don posted:

I've never even had an employer ask for a dd214, they just take my word for it.

Meh. I haven't been in a position to hire a civilian in forever but I've definitely seen contractors and the like question why someone left service quick and quietly with no award. The last time I interviewed for a civilian job they asked for DD 214s and the interviewer was a vet who knew what he was looking at when he reviewed one of the other applicants'.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

DD214 doesn't reflect the award dates though so I really don't understand unless you specifically asked "what was your ETS award?" how it would even come up.

Fair enough. I've seen it cut both ways. Saw one guy with an all but guaranteed cushy contractor job get told not to bother applying when he was about to ETS once the rep on post noticed he was getting no award and started snooping around as to why.

I also saw a contractor basically bust down a door and say "Hey, we heard your command is kicking you out on a chapter, please take this raise and do maintenance for us, oh and also you're going to work in your old unit's motor pool making more than all the NCOs and probably commander."

That latter dude is laughing it up.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 23, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Soulex posted:

Eh, it's the principle now, plus I'm actually proud of what I did in the Army despite the bullshit.

Also this. I had a retirement award (MSM) get downgraded for one of my NCOs, and through dumbassery by the S1, they told him this before me and he was utterly loving done with it and ready to accept an ARCOM. I rewrote the whole award and attached a personal letter that said, in short "If this award isn't good enough, blame my writing ability, not this NCO" then had the BN XO and BDE DCO clean it up and get it back to the CG's staff the next morning. He left with an MSM and appreciated it, but really I realized it was very worth it when his wife came up and explained that he'd been ratfucked out of an MSM several times over his career after his first line leaders recommended him for them, but his higher leadership wasn't willing to fight for it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I guess it's apparent I've been around military and contractor and DAC workers too long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

also gently caress you because I followed your avatar onetime and ended up watching all sorts of dumb recruitment videos about ADA in the 60s

lol I like the one where it says the computer fights the battle for you.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

REDEYE PROVIDES LOW FLYING JET DEFEENSE TO ARE TROOPS

It's still defense if you can only shoot while they're outbound with ordnance already dropped, right?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

You'll also realize that those same defense contractors you've mentioned are body grinders who have lovely benefits, lovely pay, and don't care about their employees beyond having a warm body with a clearance they can bill against.

Yeah, I've seen it go both ways for those who get out. Most are pretty happy. Some end up working in places even worse than Army life. The most severely weird: those who exit then get back in, doubly so if they didn't get back in due to some unforeseen financial disaster.

E: maybe I overstate awards because I've always been in orgs that will blow up leadership if they skimp on awards rather than accept screwing people out of awards over petty poo poo.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 23, 2016

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Aranan posted:

So that AMA with SMA over on Reddit? Yeah, it got "postponed" because SMA has a meeting.

Sounds about right. :)

Hahaha.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sky shark posted:

The deformed reject spartan from 300 with a waterpipe and a keyboard as weapons, a DD214 shield and

Ubera Mea Mentula A Tergo

underneath

Hahaha sounds about right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

cravius posted:

Like I'm going to BOLC in a month

Just don't get a DUI in BOLC, don't buy in full-tilt 100% or you'll get mega-disillusioned, but don't be one of those dumbasses who acts totally too cool for school and #Jaded and you'll be fine at least long enough to either stick around or exit with your life in tact.

I powered through a period of hating my life and being angry all day every single day and then gave it one last chance and found myself in a unit that has leaders that aren't total assholes.

The real shame of the army is that big army continues to add insanity that makes even having a chill unit with decent leadership a real pain in the rear end.

• Locked thread