Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Countering a creature spell is fine nowadays, because the games most powerful effects have shifted to being on creatures. BACK IN THE DAY™ this wouldn't have been great, but now I can see it being fine.

On the other hand, I am not completely convinced that this command is amazing. Seems like a more color dependent Dismiss to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
How did you guys not count Arcane Denial in your counterspell chitchat? Boo

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I was hoping that she would be tri-color, but I am really okay with this card. Narset is so awesome.

I need to read the Uncharted Realms, but it seems like not accessing the R mana that is inherently within her causes the spark? That would be a neat reason.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Narset can be used a lot. Tokens, control. Lots of fun stuff.

I really want to make a Jeskai control with her. Use Soulfire as the only critters. Commands, Strikes, Stokes, Counters, Wraths and LOTS OF PLANESWALKERS! WHEE

So expensive

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

jassi007 posted:

All the value in the set will be on her. I think she sill settle at 20-30 I'll get my set then some later time she'll go up.

She prolly will stay high, because she's a powerful planeswalker across STD and EDH.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Something hilarious to note that was brought up to me on Twitter:

DFC Lilana dies to Moonmist.

... and I'd imagine all of the other ones as well (assuming they're human).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sampatrick posted:

Guys I don't think you've realized the synergies between Silumgar's Scorn, Mutavault, and Nameless Inversion.

So, Slum's UU turns into 1UU in modern (not good), or you have to have NI in your hand (not played).

Nooooooope

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

So you know the dailymtg article today about preregistration prizes for every 100 entrants to GP Las Vegas?

Guess who just won the timetwister? My first power :allears:

That's awesome! Did they contact you via email?

SHOULD I BE FURIOUSLY REFRESHING MY EMAIL?!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Cactrot posted:

Who all from the Seattle area is going to GP Vegas? I accidentally pre-registered at one level above what I intended and get access to the super sweet planeswalker lounges.

Also that rewards list looks sweet as heck, it'd be nice to get something off of it.

As a Sea-Goon, I will be there. BJ (if you know local radio) and his kid will be there as well.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I think you guys are being a little harsh on the Mind Control variant. It has it's uses. You drop it early so it stops them from casting their bomb until they deal with it, which means using up another resource. Sure, they can get back their awesome dude you totally stole by casting a tiny duder, but then they still have to contend with it out there able to jack another guy,

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Entropic posted:

Remember 10-15 years ago when the idea of getting anyone to pay for anything on the Internet was laughable? :corsair:

They just didn't know what to do with the internet. Pets.com, where you could ship pets? BAD IDEA. Watching people play something you love and can't be bothered to practice at the level they're at? That's feasible. Check out all entertainment!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Chill la Chill posted:

I have never met someone who pays for streams. Can someone who has walk me though the thought process? Really confused ATM

As someone who gets paid to entertain people, you're paying for the entertainment. Same reason you pay to see a movie, watch a show, etc.

Some people are bad, but the entertaining ones (this is subjective you turds) are the ones getting $$.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Angry Grimace posted:

The joke's over, dude. File it away and dust it off when spoiler season for Origins starts if you really need to kill it deader than it already is.

I cast Reanimate on this joke.

Anything that drives you nuts is AOK in my book.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Fun bit of drama yesterday, for you nerds.

At the LGS, playing prerelease. First round goes and in the middle of it, two guys get SUPER heated. Arguments and it almost seems like wizard poker was going to lead to fisticuffs (lol). One of the guys gets a talking to about using sexually explicit terminology.

Find out that it seemed to be about missed triggers. One guy cast Citadel Siege, forgot to name Khans or Dragons. Judge was standing there and noticed nothing was announced as the guy went straight to combat. Forced the guy to rewind back and choose. Guy chooses Khans and then has a chance to add the counters (much to the other guy's rage).

Other guy is super pissed, like will not stop bitching about it afterwards. Saying that even that it was a prerelease 'judges shouldn't play for you' and that it was super suspect cause the guy was a regular or knows the judge (who knows).

Best part? He won that game. But it affected him so much he dropped the other two.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
God drat. Tried to make a Skullbriar Tiny Leader deck and realized it's probably one of the most expensive ones to make it fun. Made Ezuri instead, elf tribal, which was infinitely cheaper (monoG commander deck was so helpful).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
My blue decks run Bribery solely for Blightsteel or Eldrazi. My fave is when people say, 'Why'd you take that? I only have him in the deck for shuffling my GY!'

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Last night I played my Zedruu in some Commander on MODO and was able to flash in Teferi at EOT and then cast Knowledge Pool. For those who don't know, due to Teferi's clause where opponents can only cast spells when they cast a sorcery, they aren't allowed to cast the 2nd spell from the Pool.

Since it was April Fools (APRIL FOOLS LOL RIGHT), I didn't bother telling people the interactions to see what they would do. I am about 80% sure they had no idea how this rules corner case works, and just assumed the client was bugged (esp since there was so much of that going on yesterday).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I used Priest of Gix in combination with Great Whale/Peregrine Drake in my Recurring Nightmare/Survival of the Fittest as part of it's infinite mana combo. Yeah, Priest was all right.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
I use MarlonBots (You can google em) and they have always seemed to have fair prices. Who knows, cause I am part of the unwashed masses who doesn't bother to really price check all that much.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

remigious posted:

I just wanted to chime in as a lady magic player that used to work in a game store and ran tournaments and stuff. The biggest barrier by far that keeps women out of the game is the attitude many (not all, mind you, but many) guys have towards women in a tournament. I didn't really encounter the leering pervy types as much as one might think, the problem is that men HATE losing to a girl. I ran a fun minotaur deck that kicked rear end a while back and and became known as "queen of the cows" henceforth at out standard tournaments. Real nice. They get so loving salty and disrespectful that myself and a few other ladies I know would rather just not deal with them. Which is bullshit.
I have no idea how to even approach a solution to this problem. I think the Lady Planeswalkers Society is fantastic, I only wish they were bigger or I could make the time commitment to possibly setting a chapter up where I live. I love playing Magic, I hate having to deal with jerks that either hate losing to me or think I am just there to "turn cards sideways, how cute."

If you're interested in starting an LPS, or know someone who is, you should check out that FB page. I know you say you don't have enough time to make a commitment to do it yourself, but I am sure Tifa has information on how to make it happen. She's super happy to facilitate a welcome environment.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
PT Cheatyface is in full effect!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

18th and 19th?

Really? Are we really that sensitive? I'm clearly not talking about actual rape here...

You're a loving idiot.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Sickening posted:

Of all the dumb poo poo McMagic says you focus on this? Stop the fake outrage. Stop trying to be offended by everything. Jesus christ.

No. gently caress that. Don't use that loving term. How hard is it to be a reasonable human being? Grab a thesaurus and get educated.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

suicidesteve posted:

It was the semifinals and the advice came from someone who was already out of the tournament. There's nothing to be done at that point except for tell the person not to do it unfortunately. I know the guy who said it and I'm sure it wasn't intentional; he was just summarizing what the card does. Unfortunately he did so in a way that gave my opponent information that he might not have been able to get from the Oracle text.

Whenever this happens (and it does), I just look at the guy and tell them not to comment on a game they're not in. They usually get embarrassed enough to get the point.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
This is what I love and hate about MTG rules:

(from http://www.blackborder.com/q/node/18966)

Rules: Sidisi and Illusory Gains

I cast Sidisi, which has the exploit ability and a second ability that provides a “tutor effect” when the exploit ability is used.

My opponent controls Illusory Gains, which is an Aura that allows him to take control of the last creature that entered the battlefield under my control.

As soon as my Sidisi enters the battlefield, two abilities trigger: the exploit ability of Sidisi and the ability of Illusory Gains.

As it’s my turn, my opponent’s ability will resolve first, and he will gain control of my Sidisi before I sacrifice a creature for exploit.

Then, when the exploit ability resolves, I choose to sacrifice a second creature.

Does Sidisi’s second ability trigger? If yes, who gets the “tutor effect”?

Sidisi’s second ability says “When Sidisi, Undead Vizier exploits a creature, you may search your library for a card, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library”. This ability doesn’t check if Sidisi’s controller sacrificed a creature; it checks if a creature was sacrificed for the exploit ability.

Even if Sidisi changed controllers, she will know that the exploit ability was used, and the second ability will trigger.

When it resolves, its effect will be applied to the person controlling her at the moment of the resolution: my opponent will get to tutor a card from his deck!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Gensuki posted:

I love them because the fact that this happens is deducible. You do not have to see it happen to figure out that, yes, it works like this.

I hate them because no one I know believes it works like this.

Completely agree. Of course, I am also the shithead who will use Possibility Storm/Teferi to hose everyone at the table.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

kingcobweb posted:

Hope I can slide back in here to self-promote, because here's an interview I did with Sue Ann Harkey, Magic's art director from Alliances through Mirage block.

Goddamnit, man. What a great read.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
http://www.channelfireball.com/home/mm15-preview-card-gp-vegas-side-event-playmat-and-supplies/

New Clique GP Vegas playmat.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Toshimo posted:

If you need to explain to your friends that they need to shower, you should get better friends.

I'd say this, to a point.

If you have a friend who is beef scented, and you tell him clean up and he does ... GREAT!

If he makes excuses every time, then yeah it's time to find someone else to sling wizard poker with.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Even if my 3 color deck, I have made it a point to include 3 basics of each type. Those go before anything, so I am sure not to be completely hosed by Blood Moon or Ruination (protip: I'm still hosed).

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Snacksmaniac posted:

What are his thoughts on Mondays and lasagne?

Who is going to Vegas? I'm planning on going and getting a box to "practice" (open, build decks, probably not actually play, put cards in trade binder).

I am going to Vegas. Lots of MTG, but lots of VEGAS ridiculousness. Went 2 years ago and it's amazing.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

After MM1 I am extremely skeptical.

Noble is a chase rare, with 10k participants in the main event at the GP plus TONS of side events ... lots of product will get opened the weekend of the GP! I figure this one will drop pretty nicely. Problem with Tarmo and Dark Confidant (at the time) is there were highly playable AND mythic.

MAYBE DAYBREAK CORONET WILL NOW TANK SO I CAN GET ONE FOR SHU YUN CHRIST

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

LordSaturn posted:

I need this list. Is it in the EDH thread?

Here's the podcast I did with The Command Zone about Shu Yun:
http://www.rocketjump.com/listen/commander-mtgo-shu-yun-silent-tempest

Here's the list then. I think it's mostly the same. Some tweaks here and there:
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/the-reverend-enfuegos-shu-yun-deck/

No lands shown. You get to figure that out.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Jin Gitaxias goes into Reanimator occasionally.

Played it in Legacy reanimator and used it to crush a Food Chain players dreams.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
But Telling Time is back!! :D

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Also PAX party is in the annex this year instead of the club it's usually at :lol: Feeling less bad I wasn't around for the millisecond that tickets were available.

This actually sucks. The Showbox is a great venue for these kind of things, and I've always had fun at them. I will still probably go, but blah.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

TheKingofSprings posted:

Are you speaking from experience

There is literally no way this is from experience.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Zemyla posted:

Because it's a bird? Look up Whippoorwill to see what happens when birds don't have flying.

EDIT: Or more recently, Bronzebeak Moa (which probably would have worked better as Bronzebeak Ostrich).

TBH Hunting Moa was already in the game and didn't fly. You youngin's and your apparent lack of encyclopedic MTG knowledge!!!!!!

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Taking a look at MM2015 draft, and it seems to me trying to put together a metalcraft deck is this set's trap. You won't be passed good artifacts, and unless you get a lot of bouncelands you won't be able to go crazy with Sunburst.

Any other tips you've seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

mcmagic posted:

Don't cut yourself off from the affinity deck just because you think it's going to be cut...

But it's amazingly easy to be cut. A good artifact won't make it past 2 - 3 picks, and there's just not enough of them to become a Metalcraft archetype. Colorless means people can snag the best, which is what happened a lot in Scars block (though that had a huge amount of artifacts).

The blue and white artifacts make it worthwhile in a vacuum, but you're missing a lot of really strong things to break through, I fear.

• Locked thread