Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Simple green won't melt plastic at any concentration. It barely eats paint.

Yeah, if all you have is Simple Green, I'd heat it up too. That will help a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Anyone have tips for someone looking to cast their own stuff? The company I work for does polyurethane casting, so I know a bit about [how hard] mold design [is], but I don't know anything about using RTV or doing resin casting. Can anyone point me in the right direction on products available in the US?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Yeah, my main motivation is recasting shields for my orcs, so it'll be open casting all the way. There's no way I could ever scrape up 100+ of the old 90's shields for my dudes.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Haven't painted anything this year, so I broke out the fighter model from the AD&D starter box. He is now ready for ADVENTURE.

Leopard print was easier than I'd imagined. It looks a little Flintstones, but I don't have a problem with that.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Does goblin green still have a direct equivalent out there? I want to change my base rims to green, and I have an old pot of goblin green around, but I don't want to break it out unless I can be consistent with it.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Pierzak posted:

Wash, highlight, done. If you want eyes a single half-transparent black dot is enough. The golden rule is the smaller the model, the more pronounced the shading should be.

Yeah, I bet if you spent three dollars or so on a micropen and went nuts on those models it would look great. Excellent investment, I underestimated it completely.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

dmnz posted:

Crappy phone pics of my wip pirate orcs.

I finished rank 2 and 3 in about two weeks. This is crazy unsustainable lightning speed for me.
Just the front rank to go. I'll static grass em all when they are done.

Awesome pirate parts by Spellcrow, crappy Orc parts by GW.

These were to be counts as additional hand weapons guys. Who knows what they will be next week.

I like the models but one thing you really have to watch out for with those orc sculpts is to make sure they're standing up as straight as you can get them. You've got a bunch of dudes basically staring at the ground. They'll look a lot better if they're looking up at the viewer instead of like they are about to start a somersault... it took me a long time to realize what was wrong when I was doing mine.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Arven posted:

I'm finally getting around to painting some Mordians I snagged off ebay an age ago. I'm not great at painting, but I'd like to someday play with these things and have them not look like poo poo.

This is the first one I painted up, and I'm looking for color advice. Should I go lighter on the pants? User yellow for the shouldboards instead of gold? I'm worried it's too dark.

I agree, much too dark. Mordians wear basically parade uniforms, so you need to step it up everywhere on the brightness - the coat, the piping, and the gold. Right now he looks uncool, like a Crimson Fist.

EDIT: I'd also consider switching the lasgun casing to something other than black. Maybe red? Black casing + silver trim is hard to do without looking low-effort.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Genghis Cohen posted:

I have been assembling some models I got in Mierce Miniatures' Darklands kickstarter, their Fomoraic faction, which is basically Warhammer's Chaos Warriors but less over-the-top. Maybe going to use the models for frostgrave or similar type of game, or wait till the official rules come out (who am I kidding, I'll never find anyone else who plays).

All my human models:

Two models are sorcerers, I have converted in some 40k dark eldar bits for their goofy wands, I don't know if it really works:

Quite a lot of the models I have changed the weapons around for bits off GW models, which are almost out of scale (Mierce models are more truescale), but the thin and flimsy resin weapon shafts were a disaster waiting to happen.

I don't think the pose of this horse really came out as good as their concept sketches, but it's still an ok model. Unlike Warhammer's chaos knights, the warhorse is actually in scale, which helps a lot.

I also have 6 of their minotaurs, which in my book are very characterful, awesome models.

I have chosen to base them all with slate. Going to go for snow/ice basing which fits their background. It doesn't come out in those models but as well as warhammer-chaos type armoured big guys and beastmen, the faction has a lot of Cthulthu type vibes - I have a big man-kraken model I haven't yet assembled and they've got some cool stuff of that nature. Thinking of how to do armour and banners with some sort of dark sea-green tint or other trappings to enhance that.

Those minotaurs are super cool. I always liked beastmen but I can't get the hang of painting good fur.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Not a viking posted:

Any good tutorials on how to paint pale skin?

I just paint it pale green. Pale green solves a lot of unexpected problems

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Venom Soag posted:

brother sergeant Actio

two pistols in the saddle

pic of himself on his back

That model is sick

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Boon posted:

It's been a while since I've posted in here, but I'm trying a new scheme on my Warp Spiders and I'd appreciate any feedback.

SRM mentioned previously that the colors are competing for attention a bit too much, but the photo was very poor and I wanted to get a better shot with a better view of the colors before making significant changes. Also, I understand that the Exarchs powerblades look really dumb. I'm not sure what to do about it at the moment since the 'blades' are almost as thick as they are wide.

All that said, I'm not thrilled with the models or the paintjob but I think it's the model itself because I felt the same about the previous iteration. I can't wait until GW makes new Warp Spiders a decade from now. It'll be great when the coolest aspect has models that have well defined edges, aren't extremely thick, and dynamic.

I think they need some harder blacklining. I like all the colors, though - you just need more dark space to set them off.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

PierreTheMime posted:

With this talk of improving photos, I redid some of my current projects using a slightly better setup (if you can call two pieces of paper better than a whiteboard):

Genestealer cultists:

Test Word Bearer I did this morning, since I need to get around to starting in on my Betrayal at Calth set:

I don't think I've ever seen genestealer cultists done like that. They look really cool.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Anybody have any sage advice for painting MDF terrain? I don't have an airbrush.

I was goofing around with a sprue yesterday and it looks like my usual method is not going to scale up for poo poo. I'm reading that it's good to use a lot of gloss varnish to seal...

Should I go dark colors or stay really light? Muted, or solid? I want it to go together thematically, but I'm worried if I do the buildings in the same kind of cartoony manner I did the minis they'll just get lost in the much bigger terrain.

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 8, 2017

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I found this guy at the Toledo Game Room in the 50 cent bucket. Thought he looked rad, so I took some time and painted him up tonight. Anyone know what he is?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

NeurosisHead posted:

First miniature of 2020 this afternoon, and my first time actually being happy with dark skin tones. I think that this year I'd like to get better at using technical effects, like weathering, blood, etc. Not bad though, for 3 hours on a lazy Wednesday.

Also model is from Lion Tower Miniatures on Patreon, printed by me at home. I have gone waaaayy down the 3d printed model rabbit hole, and it owns so much.

What did you print this out of and how much prep did it take? I can't even tell it was printed. I'm used to printed stuff out in my area being gritty and that looks real smooth. Do you have to vapor polish or something?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Endman posted:

This thread needs more :pcgaming: Battletech :pcgaming:

Look at this thing, it's a freakin emerald

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

New models! One is Kusanagi from Infinity, which I just got the courage to paint by knowing a better model will some day be released, and the second is another model out of the 50 cent bin at the Toledo Game Room.

Kusanagi looks pretty good but I'm really happy with the civilian girl - feel like I am seeing actual improvement in my technique compared to just a year ago.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Iceclaw posted:

I can't manage not to make my miniatures look drab as hell, even with some highlight and what's not. What am I doing wrong?

I think it's a contrast problem. Your colors are pretty solid, but they don't feel like they have a real beginning or an end. It's most noticeable on the metal stuff, which is the hardest to handle:

Like, the gold, the silver and the leather kind of run together in a way you can't solve by highlighting. If you got some darkness between the different elements of the model it would make the transitions clearer and make the model a lot more readable.

Here's a model I did earlier this year to explain:

Dividing up areas like that goes a long, long way to making a model pop. I did something similar at the elbows and the knees since they'd otherwise look like hot dogs. But because I could divide the white area up, it looks good, even though I didn't do poo poo to highlight - all I did was prime white and slap one thin coat down before picking up any other color.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Pro move is to magnetize your bases and glue a metal sheet to a plastic tackle box. Cheap, effective.

But I don't have time for that so I bought a fancy foam box :shobon:

My carrying case for years has been a cardboard box with three layers: one inch of polyurethane foam, one piece of sheet metal, and then a one inch foam cutout to outline the sheet metal. Magnetize your bases and they're good to go. The whole setup was basically free and it's worked well.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

HELL YEAH BROTHER

god i have so much to clean up on this, but how does this look for like, the base for bone? (they're getting dual use as learning for me, and DnD minis where they're using a giant corpse's bone as a building material)

I like highlighting bone with real pale green. I find bone is similar to fooling with red in that if you just add white to the mixture you wind up moving into the wrong color.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

You're probably going to have some adhesion problems if you're not priming, but you can give it a go anyway. Acrylic paint is acrylic paint.

Your best bet would be to put a couple layers of varnish on over your paint. Otherwise it's going to flake off the second somebody plays with your toys, be they minis or Lego figures.

Sand it first then clean with rubbing alcohol (if you can find any!)

Gotta increase the surface energy to get a good bond.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Its the aerosol propellant in the can, not the primer. Polystyrene does not react well to most propellant (I'm told the super dense insulation stuff is less of an issue, but expanded polystyrene definately doesnt like it). IIRC one of the craft terrain guys I follow on youtube (off the top of my head I couldn't tell you which one) swears you can get it to work with the right brand of spray paint and keeping the can a good distance away from the surface, but I wouldnt risk it myself on anything I gave a poo poo about. Sealing it with PVA glue or wall filler (Spackle I think is the american term?) may work or it may not.

Probably easiest to just do some nice thick coats of acrylic craft paint/house paint over them and move from there.

Yeah, the paint is full of volatile solvents. You'll have to spray far away so they evaporate before making contact. Probably a waste of your 20 dollar GW poo poo but if you have regular rustoleum or krylon go for it

Under 15 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 6, 2020

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Torquemada posted:

Scrubbed, but clarification needed: fresh superglue means a freshly opened tube, or something manufactured yesterday? I bought a bunch of tiny tubes a few months back, they’re unopened.

Superglue cures with moisture and heat, so the clock starts ticking once opened. You'll get more mileage if you store them in the fridge between uses.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...bKzMxw/viewform

Cross-posting from the Infinity thread.

We had an informal painting contest in our local Infinity group to commemorate the quarantine and it's time to judge. Click the link and rate some paintjobs!
When we're back together in person we're all going out to dinner. Winner gets their bill paid and loser covers gratuity for the group.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

tangy yet delightful posted:

Says the file doesn't exist?

edit:

the gradient/transitioning on the colors is so loving good gently caress

Whoa there, didn't notice the url got shortened.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScd6r5JzaJ_rzWVeaBsaJSQxfOOH-u4eranwMjkvJYhbKzMxw/viewform

Try that one out. Thanks!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Eej posted:

More airbrush questions while I look into what it would take to set it up. My workspace is the other half of my corner desk next to a window which is fine but that window is also where a cat tree is positioned. I've got two cats in my little apartment and I don't feel comfortable spraying aerosolized acrylics everywhere because I can wear a mask but they can't and I don't know how good air brush hoods are at catching stray paint and the whole situation just makes me feel like it's not worth any risk to my cats long term health over making some plastic look nicer. There's always outdoor airbrushing which comes with having to deal with humidity, temperature, rain, etc. but it's probably ok for at least priming, base coating and highlighting?

Throw them in the bathroom for twenty minutes while you spray? I feel like people overstate the dangers of airbrushing... no, it's not good for you to breathe in aerosolized paint, but think about it in comparison to smoking a cigarette.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Nebalebadingdong posted:

ya'll ready to paint some goddamn doors?

Quoting this from downtown because idgaf. I put the tutorial to use on a model. Chickened out from going all the way, but here's the result:

I really like how the hands came out on this model - usually it's something I gently caress up really bad, but here I think I nailed it. Maybe because the sculptor put some effort into it as well?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Finished my secret santa contribution to a guy who wanted an O-12 HVT. I like the way it came out compared to the model on the box, which I think is kinda ehh

I haven't used metallics paints in forever and had a terrible time with them here. What's the best way to thin them out? I have reaper paints nowadays, so I know they are high enough quality to pull it off.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Furism posted:

I was told this is really not recommended, as the acetone will eat through the rubber joints and any kind of plastic present in/on the airbrush. It won't dissolve them straightaway or anything but that'll speed up their wear & tear by a large factor. Which might be acceptable to you, if you're willing to change them!

I think he meant for minis. Acetone is anywhere from not-ideal to Bad Plan depending on what kind of rubber they picked for the seals. Alcohol is the way

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I know some of you lunatics must paint tiny space ships.

I picked up some full thrust ships from Ground Zero Games and the quality is frustrating. We're beyond flash territory into what I can only call crud. In some cases I'm half sculpting my own minis out of lead with an exacto knife. I can paint them and they're going to look alright, but it's going to be tedious covering up all the defects. I think it might be just the age of some of the molds.

Does anyone have experience with space ship manufactures that aren't awful?

Dropfleet commander is beautiful but the scale looks to be much larger than what I'd like, although maybe I could stick to their smaller ships. I know Brigade Models do space ships and they look like what I'd love but now I'm paranoid - anyone have any experience? Ravenstar Studio's Cold Navy? Is 3d printing how people do space ships these days?

Is Dropfleet really too big? Most of the ships are like 2-4 inches long and even the giganto ones aren't any bigger than a Raider or a Falcon or w/e in 40k. It's about the same scale as BFG.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I bet that actually looks great in person. Edge highlighting that looks amazing to a camera three inches away is often too subtle for a dude that needs to stand out on a tabletop.

Yeah, I had massively upgraded my painting setup last year and the first thing I did with it was paint a bunch of subtle highlights that aren't visible on the table

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Dropping in here, I just finished up a major project for an upcoming tournament:

I'm really happy with how these came out, I went all out on this army and learned a lot in the process

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Since it's about $5 at the supermarket for the stuff I highly recommend this. After a while it just starts to suck, even if you're meticulous and keep the tips clean.

CA glue gets worse and worse the more moisture gets at it, so just buy the smallest one you can find and throw it out every 90 days

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Priming will be plenty fine to help spot areas you somehow missed.

If you do miss something, there's no time better than right then and there to fix it, even if you are painting the model. Don't leave mold lines or flash on a model when you see them (because you will never un-see them after that)

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Cthulu Carl posted:

In the grim darkness of the far future, THERE IS ONLY MARGARITAVILLE

lookin for my
lost shaker of souls

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Dropping some oath photos here, these are the last models for my NCA Infinity army:

I like this guy because I can imagine him flying through the air, blasting away, like it was some sort of PC Engine horizontal shmup

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Beffer posted:

The global supply chain crisis is finally explained

The goons, they keep getting stuck in canals

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

How do you Marine gents get your edge highlighting so expertly precise? I'm hoping to improve my Death Guard painting but I'm not sure how to get that crisp line work down.

make the marine bigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

I finally got a leather look that I like, just need to do something interesting with the base.

For the guy further up in the page, I use all reaper paints. They aren't the best paints in the universe, but they are cheap and available and easy to use. If you invest in a good black and a good white and then all the rest Reaper I don't think you'd be disappointed.