Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Aristocrat posted:

Has anyone had any luck stripping X-Wing minis?

Simple Green and oven cleaner have both failed to have even the slightest effect for me.

I didn't have much luck with stripping, only certain parts of the paint would come off. I don't think X-Wing minis come out of the box with acrylic paint jobs

I still had success by putting a light base coat over the existing paint

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

GAH! Screw you Army Painter spray!

I spray an entire army and my VMC paints will not stick to the models because the AP is too smooth. gently caress. Now I have to hope that a light dullcote will give me enough tooth without ruining things (washes, in particular.) I don't want to have to strip, rebase, and prime an entire army again. :bang:

I discovered this in the previous thread. Some of their sprays have more teeth than others...

gently caress, a whole army!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Anyone know where I can get oval bases like these?

these specifically:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Looks like graham cracker this time?

And by graham cracker, I mean plasticard

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Silhouette posted:

The only GW paints I miss are flip-top bolter shell Catachan Green and Foundation Iyanden Darksun. When mine run out, i'll probably cry.

I pour out a bit of wash each time I paint in memory of my old pot of Charadon Granite, my favorite paint. It was a curious mutant greenbrowngray that seemed to just work well with anything.

http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2012/05/my-replacement-for-charadon-granite.html

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

"liquid greenstuff" for gap filling (don't buy this, it's poo poo)

Yup.

Its a neat idea but I can't get it to apply very well, and it ALWAYS dries out after like a week. Has anyone had any luck with it?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Not a viking posted:

I want a mini of a muscular-looking wizard for Frostgrave (28 mm) where I want to field a Muscle Wizard. Any ideas for which range I can find one?

Convert up a Flagellant. They're (mostly) bare chested, muscle armed and holding stuff that can be easily made quite wizardly

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Is that a transfer?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

So good

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Maybe someone can help me.

Since I no longer play Warhammer, I don't have to stick to methods that are conducive to speed painting, so I'm expanding my repertoire of skills. I finally got a really nice detail brush and cleaner and all that jazz. I'm having some trouble tho. In the past, I've always thinned my paint with just water, but I'm experimenting with flow improver and medium, but so far they just don't seem to work as well. I'm trying different ratios, but the paint is either too watery, or dries with a visible, raised texture. What gives?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think those probably look quite good, though it's hard to tell in the expanded photos - your focus is way off.

How old are your paints? Are you mixing them properly? I've got some Vallejo that have a lump of pigment sitting in the bottle which refuses to mix - I don't really have to thin those (they become watery otherwise.) I've also got some that have really thickened up over the years - I have to thin a lot or else they go on really thick.

Also, I use water and it works just fine. I think the only think you might want to get would be retarder, but that just keeps the paints viable longer.

Some of them are a year old or more and they're GW pots but the consistency still seems okay. I gave all my pots a good stir.

About the retarder: I come up with conflicting search results. Is medium and retarder the same thing? No, right?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

LazyAngel posted:

Due to a (bad) idea I had when somewhat under the influence, I've embarked on my first bit of real sculpting - customising a new mount for my KoW Berserker Lord...

Posing on the mighty steed (as it was when it arrived);

Armoured chestplate progress;

Started on the leather strapping;

After the leather's done and cured, I'll be attaching 'pauldrons' which splay out from the chestplate, and modelling on a helmet and gorget, as well as some more bits around the saddle and legs.

Oh mah gawd I am in love with this.

How hard would it be to make actual armor for actual birds??

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Lethemonster posted:

Do you want them to be able to fly in it or to clank around on the floor confused?

I want them to survive crashing into windows.

And also crash through the window and do righteous battle

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Avenging Dentist posted:

If all it's doing is reducing contrast, isn't that (roughly) equivalent to adding the appropriate amount of paint from your filter color to each of your layer colors? Based on what Gareth says, it's something more than that. You might get a different "sheen" (for lack of a better word) by adding a filter, but I'm having a hard time understanding how it helps smooth a blend in a way that pre-mixing the filter into your layer colors wouldn't.

Maybe I should just do some experiments.

Its more that, no matter how perfectly you pick your colors at the start, you usually need to unify at the end. This is common in digital art, where the base colors are approximated, the shading and lighting is added, and then chunks (or the whole shebang) is tinted in a single color so that every color in the composition shares some value with every other color

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Iron Crowned posted:

Great paint job! Sadly it's negated by the fact that it's a Sigmarine

Shut the gently caress up

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
random stuff

Skaven Warlord

Grey Seer

man with drank

Mantic Bulldog

Two-handed weapon guy

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

berzerkmonkey posted:

Is that a converted Dark Emissary from the Storm of Chaos campaign?

Indeed. One of my favorite models

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I trying out 15mm stuff. I find it's good for learning new techniques. My first NMM

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
More 15mm stuff, improving my NMM a bit

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm some sort of filthy casual board game player now or something :D thanks!

Here's a more gritty sci fi thing I was loving around with. I am real fuckin rusty :/

Do you have a post or blog or something where you talk about your process? Your style is awesome

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
This thread needs more fine asses

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Some more 15mm

2 goblins from Demon World
1 crystal from Secret Weapon
1 stand of giant rats from the Thanquol & Boneripper kit

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

goodness posted:

Are there more fantasy options in 10mm or 15mm?

I've been collecting a small catalog of what's available. Alot of it is old and the sculpts are poor and its very tough to find good pictures. Here's a list of some best places to shop

Copplestone:
http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/list.php?cat=18&page=1
Superb 15mm minis, but its only barbarians and some dwarfs. They also have a good 10mm range.

Demonworld:
http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/demonworld-15mm-c-76/
The range is 20 years old but huge, with sculpt quality at both ends of the spectrum. Usually have good pictures so you can tell what you're getting.

Khurasan:
http://khurasanminiatures.tripod.com/15mmfantasy.html
Some decent and lots of meh. The skeletons look like the best 15mm skellies I've seen, and plan to pick some up

Splinteredlight:
http://www.splinteredlightminis.com/
Another wide range, but its mostly bad. There's some good sculpts lurking in there but they're hard to find because the paintjobs are often not great.

(special note, they are gonna be offering these soon: http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=421449 and they look baller)

15mm.co.uk:
http://www.15mm.co.uk/
A few good things here, and plenty of weird and miserable sculpts

Battle Valor Games:
http://www.battlevalorgames.com/
New kid on the block, putting out new stuff pretty regularly and building a large range. Sculpt quality seems average, but I think it'll improve over time

You can pad some of this out with historical 15mm, but beware scale creep!

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 6, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

GoodBee posted:

What do you do with 10-15mm fantasy?

I'm personally doing it for fun and to paint at a different scale. I've found 15mm to be good for learning new techniques.

I am intentionally painting stuff that could fit into a game of frostgrave so that I could play it with out of town friends when they come to visit, assuming I get enough stuff painted

E: comedy answer: using them as is in a 28mm game of AoS

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 5, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SteelMentor posted:

Only took me 3 months, but I finished these trees for my somewhat stalled Sylvaneth army.

Not completely happy with the leaves, think picking some out in darker/lighter shades and some purples might help, give them a edge with the Fulgrim Pink/Delchala Lilac on the sharpest points.

Holy crap :eyepop:

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Vitamin P posted:

I'm really enjoying your adventures in 15mm and they are appealing for Frostgrave.

Mainly that's because I'm picturing how the terrain could be relatively larger too, make the frozen city look epic.

Thanks!

Enjoy this 15mm wizard from demon world. Probably the most detailed mini at this scale I've seen

You can see it with a better paint job (and a truly horrid base) here:

http://www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/sh...rey-p-2792.html

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Sep 11, 2016

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Vitamin P posted:

The 15mm Frostgrave temptation is growing, what are you using as bases for your dudes?

Reaper 20mm round

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/rpr74041.html

They're good bases for 15 mm stuff, but the demon world minis are sculpted onto 10mm round already. So I either remove that base or create an insert into the reaper base. Lotta extra work, so I would recommend looking for something else if get demon world minis.

The demon world and blight haven stuff at Ral Partha is really good overall. You can get single minis, command groups and hero collections for reasonable prices which are perfect for skirmish games.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

FastestGunAlive posted:

http://m.imgur.com/a/LDBvY

Saw this review of a miniatures based loot crate type thing and thought I'd share. I don't really buy into the whole concept and the reviewer isn't very impressed but thought it would be of interest to some.

You know if you consistently got stuff like the paint and weathering pigment and other things that are fun to try out, I think this would be the first time I've seen a mystery box be a good idea

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mango sentinel posted:

How do I strip primer from a plastic mini?

What kind of primer is it? Simple Green takes Krylon off for me

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Nothing was better than grandma's bases. As soon as we stepped into the kitchen, you'd see hundreds of them freshly baked, gently flocked and precisely ranked. Each of us got a movement tray's worth.

Grandma's gone now, but her bases don't have to be. Moola's Easy Bake Bases™

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
15mm skeleton from Khurasan Miniatures

28mm Stonehaven Miniatures Tengu (dude is the right size for all my other 15mm stuff)

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

SRM posted:

Man, I've really been enjoying painting weird Inquisition dudes lately.

Well poo poo, I'm gonna have to build that little guy in the front for myself

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

mango sentinel posted:

Thanks guys, I'll try to find some cheap foam, and then wrap the whole deal in bubblewrap before boxing.

As inspired by another goon I'm working on this little buddy.

EDIT:

poo poo, you nailed a color scheme better than I did. Awesome job!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Irate Tree posted:

I painted another thing!

This is Vivian, the Barbarian Thief;

He seems disgruntled about something...

I feel like your frostgrave guys should be in a sitcom. I love them!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

dmnz posted:

Troll 5/6 done, other than the base, which will be grassed and edged with the rest of the unit.

Awesome!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I stole a conversion idea I saw online

http://eastern-empire.com/warhammer-quest-dwarf-ranger/

(I made a light box, but the paint is like, super reflective inside it. It kinda fucks with the contrast)

Nebalebadingdong fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 30, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Its from Bad Squiddo

http://badsquiddogames.com/shop#!/Heads/c/21237340/offset=0&sort=normal

Tho the pony tail is cut from the beard of a GW 5th edition dwarf warriors sprue

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Trying spraying matte on the inside. Much like how matte works on models, it reflects while diffusing the light so you dont get super bright reflections. Photographers do this with their lights by bouncing the light off matte dishes

Interesting, I've never heard of that. Thanks for the tip!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Orc and Goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Zaphod42 posted:

I like the thin lines on your orc's pants. I'm about to paint my freebooterz and I was worried about trying to paint consistent sized lines but that seems a little easier for me to pull off.

I shaded and highlighted the yellow before I painted the stripes, but if I do it again, I think I would rather just put the base coat on and then add the red lines, and highlight around it. Easier to correct mistakes that way