Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Kuma is like a big destroyer, I don't personally like it because I would rather have an actual destroyer but if you are fond of gunnery but also like torpedoing things, the Kuma fills that role.

The Svetlana is covered in loving guns, it has all the guns, it never stops gunning 24/7. I don't overly like it because I find it a bit slow and fragile while lacking much punch in its guns but it's probably good against destroyers because it uses 130mm guns so you get good traverse on them.

Svet is good against destroyers but its golden moments are when another cruiser shows its sides near you. Stalin's lasers will citadel anything it can face (that isn't a german BB).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Played a few games in the NC after finally reaching it, and this is so much better than the earlier BBs. Am I crazy for picking the secondary range/acc mod over AA range? Most CVs avoid NCs anyways, and getting those turrets out to 7.6km seems like it will be useful when I inevitably get into a brawl.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I was curious, so I tried it out: You can't reload a partial torpedo mount. So fire all the torps from a given mount when you decide to fire.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

Am I just utter poo poo with German BB guns post-tier 6 or are is it completely luck to land more than 25% of your salvo from anything more than 5km out?

If your secondaries aren't firing you're too far away.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I really need to learn some restraint when playing the Gneisau. Out of 28 games so far, I have survived none of them.

North Carolina continues to be amazing and I'm not sure I want to bother moving on to the Iowa.

Regarding T7/T8 German BB citadels, it seems like there's a spot just front of the leading turret that can be hit with plunging fire for citadels, but otherwise you need a lucky ricochet.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

After my first 10-20 games in my NC I was longing for my Colorado. The play-style is so different if all you've ever known is American standards.

I'm pretty sure this is known as Stockholm Syndrome. A bow-on NC tanks at least as well as an angled Colorado, you can actually move in an NC, the NC has better range, dispersion, and shells than the Colorado even though they're both 16-inchers, and the NC gets the magical 5/38s that eat planes and uncautious DDs.

Also the NC looks much prettier than the USN Standards.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Cippalippus posted:

Weird. So premium ships in this game are actually better than the regular counterparts I'm finding. In WOT premium tanks aren't nearly as good as regular ones.

Not universally, and the degree varies. I think Prinz Eugen is just a Hipper that's in the US tree, for example. On the other hand things like the Saipan stomp over their competitors.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

Don't charge DDs in smoke if they have friends. All you're doing is giving the DD a free lunch on stealth firing you into a pile of fire, and you're also sailing straight into hostile fire to boot. But yes, if you're 1v1 against a DD, and they DON'T have torps (or killing them would end the game), go right ahead and charge them.

Or if you're in a Gneisau. At least half the time the DD never fires torps because he's waiting for a broadside and he's so sure that'll you'll turn away because only a madman BB would charge smoke, and then suddenly he's spotted and a dozen HE shells cripple him/DD gets torped/DD gets rammed.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Fixed front firing torpedo tubes would be fun. Lets get some of that going.

Better yet, let's get really old school. Torpedoes mounted on a lance extending from the bow.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Sometimes, your Independence gets put in a T6-8 match. But it's all worth it when you see an enemy NorCar stationary in smoke, do a long-range torpedo drop, and hit a magazine for a 100% to 0 'Detonation' kill.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, am I supposed to get the AA captain skill for NC? I don't notice NC's AA being any more powerful than my other ships

Only if you want to delete planes even faster. I thought it was superfluous, so I grabbed secondary/concealment mods and skills instead.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

Anyone got any tips for the low tier US DD's. I love the Japanese ones, dropping torps whilst concealed dodging around but with the US ones I have real trouble closing the gap and escaping consistently like you can in the Japanese ones. Is it just a problem of the low tier ones?

Work your way to the T4 Clemson and buy the gun upgrade. US smoke lasts longer than the counterparts, so you can use it for stealth fires more. Hug islands if you're going for a torp run, and know the range at which your guns switch from being guns to being catapult launchers.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Aramoro posted:

The Clemson is the one I'm in just now and it just feels such a contrast coming from the Isokaze where you can pick up 2 or 3 devastating strikes a game to one where you get stuck in a kind of no man's land if you want to drop torps.

Unless you are near islands or ready to go for glory or death, forget you have torps. Instead, use your 6-gun arc to punish enemy DDs and burn battleships.

If you can sneak up to a group of enemy BBs, though, start spinning around and fill the ocean with torpedoes.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

kaesarsosei posted:

I absolutely cannot remember a single instance of this happening with the Emerald whereas it happened on at least 80% of my smoke deployments with the Leander. Anyway, I just moved up to the Fiji so I will see what it is like later today.

When I looked in port, the Fiji looks a massive upgrade on the already nice Leander. 50% more barrels, decent increase in range and similar torpedos and concealment.

I just made the move to Fiji myself, and things went great until I failed to account for stock maneuverability and exploded.

Is the torp upgrade really just ~400 more damage, or is it a stealth upgrade like the Clemson's guns?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I have 12. I wonder if I would have more or less if I stopped making puns

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

So there are rumors that the Missouri will get a radar consumable. Just to make sure that CAs had no unique capabilities any more.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rorac posted:

So, uh... :stare:

That was the last game of last night. I think I've finally clicked with these ships, and I get why they're only really good in the hands of people that are experienced. You absolutely have to know your way around each class of ship (except carriers of course) to get the most out of them.

Also I was taken down to 242 hp for a moment. I really, really should've died there.

It gets better.

Though to be honest if I don't get a Dreadnought achievement I feel like I've done something wrong.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Vengarr posted:

What a coincidence, I was just thinking that battleships really needed another buff against destroyers :negative:

On the bright side, it means that bad players will be crippling themselves to make up for their lack of awareness.

What'll be the the BB/non-RN CA Tier 1 skill? Preventative Maintenance?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

NTRabbit posted:

Depends how the new tree functions

Regardless, it's at least 4 points that can't be spent on improving your ship's capabilities.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I say this as a person that took the 5 point secondary skill and the secondary modules on his midway.

Is there a mod to make your captain William Adama?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hippyflip posted:

oh and sorry for all the questions but i shouldnt really try and take out US ships first as a cv right casue ive been told they have some of the best AA

No, you should tell your team to do that and then weep as they ignore you.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Another thing I haven't been able to test much is the AP capabilities of the IJN 203 guns vs. battleship armor. Can you really get citadels on the squishier BBs at close range? Sometimes there is simply no choice but to play the hero.

Yes. Sailing a Myoko against a greedy Kongo I've seen it happen. Not sure about 'real' battleships, though.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

This game is so depressing sometimes.

Just played a couple NC games. In both I was landing incredible shots, supporting teams at caps getting big damage numbers and then in both games my team folded like a wet paper bag. In the first, I deleted a full health Nurnberg and nearly deleted a broadside Dunkerque. In the second I took on a Scharnhorst *and* an Iowa at the same time and nearly killed them both. But I didn't have any support because my team up and killed themselves two minutes into the game.

This entire Thanksgiving weekend is gunna be like this isn't it?

I've just set Nachi as my universal voice to help chill.

I've actually researched the Iowa, but don't have the credits for it yet. Are Iowa and Montana worth getting, or does the US BB line peak with the NC?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Huh. Between the free port slots from the IJN split, and a 20mil credit supercontainer, looks like I'll be getting an Iowa after all

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I think the Iowa goes too fast for me. I keep overextending in it.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Durendal posted:

Alabama is going to be a premium at T8 apparently.

:rip: $55

With a tighter turning circle than the NC and 51% torpedo reduction, just in case you were worried that DDs might still be able to hurt your battleship.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Why does the Iowa have better secondary range than the NC when they have the same guns? Just noticed that Iowa was hitting past 9km where the NC peaks at 7.6km.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I just saw NTRabbit in the wild for the first time. Before First Blood his Hipper was torp'd and sunk by a TKing ARP Takao. Maybe he really is cursed.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rhopunzel posted:

Trying out this game, heard there's bonuses if I give someone a referral. Who wants it?

There's better rewards for using a referral (free boats). Please use mine, unless you've already received an invite: http://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/qYYr3a4

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

jownzy posted:

750k feels about as much as I thought it would be.

Seems like a slightly better Iowa, which in my opinion isn't a very fun boat to play.

With 750k you can skip several tier 9's that you don't like playing...

Most people would say the Izumo, any of the cv.... just doesn't seem worth it.

Get a tier 9 premium?

Or I could literally have both tier 10 cv's fully upgraded, with some leftover.

I had saved up about 86k since the rumors started, but with 750k confirmed and already owning an Iowa I opted to use it to jump up the IJN DDs to Shiratsuyu instead.

EDIT: Actually, want captain skills do you want on the Shiratsuyu? The first three are easy (BFT -> Last Stand -> Superintendent), but after that should I pick up Expert Marksman, or Demolition Expert?

AfroSquirrel fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 6, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Space Flower posted:

you mean AFT? that's what i went with since it's going toward Akiducky who is not an HE monster. if it was purely for shiratsuyu, demolition must be pretty drat good for when you're trying to bait out someone's damecon with flooding and fires.

I wasn't actually planning to move on to T8, since I like having both torps and guns. Still, looking at concealment and IJN arcs AFT might beat out DE. The real question was more whether or not EM is worth it to deal with that painful DD turret turn.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gearhead posted:

Japan doesn't think Carriers are sexy.

I wonder why...

But yeah, Japan hates carriers so much that they've taken to calling their new carriers 'destroyers'.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Just had a game where an NC suicided by broadsiding an Iowa, Bismark and a Tirpitz and then asking how he could possibly die after crossing the enemy's T. When he was called out on how dumb that is in any ship, let alone an NC, he claimed that the had trouble not doing it after 'cross the T' was drilled into him for so many years.

I think I've discovered an actual ghost playing WoWs.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Shiratsuyu is the best and I hope that its torp reload doesn't get nerfed. Even if the guns are pretty weak, they have a nice stealth fire window and great arcs.

Also it's very sneaky and great for recapping late in the game.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

It's beautiful.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

What the hell gently caress is this?

I just got this, but for Type 5.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Forward torp mounts on the T4? sounds like a new seal clubber, if that means I can go bow-on against a BB and still fire torps at them!

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

ok

the next 4 nerds who quote this post and then post who their ship waifu is in the thread will get one of those dollar codes for 3 days of premium and 30 zulu flags
DONT FUCKIN DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT ON NA SERVER OR ALREADY USED ONE CUZ ITS POINTLESS THE CODE WONT WORK well you can post who your waifu is anyways just make sure I know so I don't PM you one of the codes

North Carolina is the best because she's a modern USN BB without the Iowa's fat rear end. She's so quiet and demure that she can get within 11km of the enemy without being noticed before flashing her 16-inchers.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rorac posted:

The tier 8-10 RN cruisers get a unique heal. Nearly all other ships that get a heal get up to 14% health back over 28 seconds (a very tiny number of ships get a little more, but never more than 16% I think).

The Tier 8-10 RN cruisers get 40%. PER HEAL. And does it for 20 seconds rather than 28. Never let an RN cruiser escape if you possibly can, because chances are round two's going to start much better for them than it is for you..

So what I'm taking away from this is that RN cruisers should never not be ramming DDs, even more so than every other ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

OSad posted:

What's good about the Gneisenau: it goes really fast.

What's bad about the Gneisenau: everything else.

The real problem is that it has a BB icon so people think that they're in a battleship, when it's really a superheavy cruiser.