Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Torpedoes are the great equalizer.

This was a long drawn out battle as the north and center got pretty creamed by the enemy though one of our Wakakate's punished them severely. It came down to myself, a South Carolina and that Wakakate against the same on the enemy team. Their South Cal went first as it blundered into most of my torpedoes and then got gunned down by our Wakakate and South Cal. Their Tenryu bore down on our DD and I chased it while their DD got stupidly close to the South Cal and died to secondaries. Our DD dies and then the Tenryu starts going after our South Cal and completely ignores me despite all of the HE I'm shooting into him.

Then naturally the BB finishes him off at sub-100 hp :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Magni posted:

And now I imagine driving a later-tier IJn in suh a game. Holy poo poo, sending long-range torp spreads into that clusterfuck would be glorious.

I've done that. It's either as glorious as you think with multiple ships getting flooded/sinking from a single spread :getin:

Or everyone happens to dodge your torpedoes perfectly despite getting in each others way and beaching themselves against each other :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Meanwhile I came back to this after 3 years and I'm wondering where the heck all of my fancy botes have come from. And why I don't have anything above tier 5 when I was pretty sure I was getting into the Fuso.

It's a hell of a time when your strongest memories of a game is from the freakin' Beta.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Oh boy the Omaha.

I now remember why my highest tier was the US cruiser line when I stopped: to try and get through the Omaha fast.

Boy howdy I should have kept at it :suicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Carrier's are pretty binary. The best carrier moments are those on the edge of winning and failing where you managed to dodge their perfect torp drop (or it goes wrong somehow, such as taking out the cruiser and dd you were fighting in addition to you.)

Otherwise it's mostly laughing at aircraft destroyed ribbons or sweating for the next hyper-accurate dive bomb/torp drop.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Preechr posted:

Always remind them that it takes two to ram.

Ramming someone successfully, especially in a slow-arse battleship, is a group effort.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I love when I'm in my mostly stock New York and the entire team goes to A when I spawn close to C and I get focused down by most of the enemy team who went to C simply because I got left behind.

It's always an Emile Bertan peppering me with HE who gets the kill though :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Working my way up to a Des Moines. Currently in the Pensecola. Today's my weekend warrior day it seems though, haven't had a good game yet despite the rest of the weekend being relatively painless.

Idiot DD's sitting in smokes getting torped or lit up by radar, idiot cruisers who drive into half the enemy team's guns when the enemy has nothing better to shoot at, my shots perfectly bracketing enemy cruiser's that are just sitting there and when I do do well it's because I go YOLO mode in the face of the entire enemy team that's converging on the remnants of mine and I figure 'might as well make this game worth losing, what can I kill before I die?'

Turns out not much. Always a citadel or a penetration short, sometimes leaving the enemy at less than a thousand health :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had to hit accept on the Eula for like, a ton of times before it finally stuck. It's gone away for me now though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Hooray, lucked out and got a Cleveland mission from a daily box!

Now I can finally do some operations :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Did my first operation yesterday after getting the Cleveland (and of course it had swapped from cherry blossom to aegis, good thing I have my Pensacola!)

Five starred it with the escape ships barely taking any damage and we only lost ships doing dumb things smartly (I think.) I died going after the Ryujo carrier that spawned closest to the NE spawn of ships but I took it's first full salvo of torps and dive bombers before I got chewed to pieces.

So hooray for a free day of premium and my first ten point captain :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

toadee posted:

You hug the island. You hug the island like they are your waifu.

This. The main problem I have in my Cleveland in tier 10 matches at the moment is that it's only got the captain that came with it so my captain skills are woefully behind on where they should be. I fully kitted it out with modules though and I can hunt DD's (10.6 km detection range + 9km radar = HOUND DAWG), punish other light cruisers (got into knife fighting range with an Edinburgh on a cap and shot his citadel to pieces) and rain fire down on everything from behind cover with the only problem being shatters against BB superstructures.

I learned a bunch watching the replay's Jingles put out and slow grinding through the Pheonix/Omaha cemented those lessons in US CL's.

I also got decent at dodging fire for when I have to turn tail and run away :shepface:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blasphemy. Ramming is never wrong :colbert:
(Today my Kongo's guns couldn't shoot where I aimed for crap and no one would let me ram them to at least have a laugh about it. Gneisenau had to torp me, New Mexico had to have perfect convergance on my bow :negative:)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blindeye posted:

I had the same experience. Part of it is that it does have good firepower and it is very maneuverable so if you stay at range, it can work. Part of it is the slower low tier BBs cannot dodge floaty arcs as well.
Also it doesn't need IFHE to damage everything it sees unlike higher tier light cruisers. It'll also set more fires due to lower innate fire resistance on everything and having more turrets to shoot with.

The Omaha (and Murmansk) are pretty great once you figure out how to US Light Cruiser (or 'how to hug your island and what islands are good for hugging.')

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

toadee posted:

Point is, there is absolutely no way anyone on the outside can possibly know for certain how easy something is or is not to implement on someone else's codebase, and I mean, shouldn't we give people a modicum of decency when interacting about it?

Considering their approach to fixing supposed matchmaker issues regarding preferential premiums in World of Tanks that were introduced when they pushed the 3/5/7 format was, essentially, to try and persuade everyone that preferential premiums were the problem, say they're changing them and say they'll allow people to swap out their tanks if they don't like them after the changes (for an additional fee.) To top it all off they had a preferential premium bundle on sale (on the EU cluster) the week they made the announcement.

Wargaming have been burning a lot of the goodwill they've built up over the years lately so it's not surprising that the answer to your question is trending to 'no' for more and more people.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 19, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

the repair station is absolutely a pubbie trap

I only have a New Orleans available for doing the operation and had a game where I rushed the repair station because I took a bunch of damage dealing with the first Dallas and got sniped by the first spawn group (and the northern Omaha a bit, only had 1 BB in the match.)

Once I was done repairing, I got out of the base and started going around and doing stuff. Not so much the two atlanta's on my team, one who wasn't even damaged but stuck close to there anyway, probably to help deal with the DD's that rush it. The Ranger took a few hits from the first spawn group and sat in there for a long while.

We lost the Aerodrome because most of the team was faffing around the repair base dealing with the south spawns and I was headed east since that's where the last group spawned in my previous attempt. This time that group spawned west and got close enough to the objective to snipe it.

At least 2-starring it is pretty easy and there's no 10 point captain for the 4 star :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

It's literally the only t7 in my port and I just got it.

I wouldn't mind an Atlanta from containers :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The only time I've been reported was a game where my team got rolled over and I spent a lot of time in my cleveland on sub 2k health running away from enemy ships and dodging their fire while trying to return it as much as possible. I mean, if I had stood and died the match would have gotten over quicker but I rather need the credits and I'm still a long ways away from a Musashi.

Got rid of my only two compliments though, the buggers :argh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, there are plenty of T8 matches... you'll just never see them when you yourself are playing one. Anyone extensively trying to play a T6 will tell you that.

It's true, I get more tier 8 matches in my New Orleans than I do in my Cleveland.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Pubbies are usually stupid about how long it takes some ships to get places. I've been pinged in my new mexico before for being in the spawn area when really the new mex is fat and slow enough that it takes a good bit to actually get out of there :v:

bloom posted:

If you haven't spent all your heals by the end of a match you weren't playing aggressive enough :colbert:

If you die before using more than one of your heals you were playing too aggressively though :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Heartcatch posted:

You are extremely upset for the entire duration and end up at the top of the scoreboard of the losing team?

These are my t8 matches in my Cleveland.
And a lot of my t9's.

t10's are split between 'get nuked relatively early on because the entire team collapsed' and 'you are extremely pumped for most of the duration of the match, dodging 98% of the enemies fire and throwing several hundred HE on everything you can see to end up on the top (top 3/top 5) of the scoreboard on the winning team.'

Although non-hyperbole that's most of my Cleveland matches at all tiers.

+2/-2 MM is nowhere near as bad here as it is in Tanks since HE and fires still allow you to hurt stuff. The worst part is having to chunk down high HP BB's because they sat at the back and the 1-4 of you remaining have lost enough health that you have to kite and spam HE at them or else you'll die.
Also secondary spec'd BB's at those levels too, because 10-11km range secondaries is nuts :v:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Blindeye posted:

Honestly those secondary-spec BBs are not the menace you think they are. The main threat is still the main guns because lets face it, the FDG would be much more competitive because it and the kurfurst have the same secondaries. Plus they give up a lot of fire resistance to get those secondaries.

In a Cleveland they're way worse than the main batteries. Because when I'm close enough to beat their turret rotation/ducking between cover I can't dodge the volume of secondary fire coming my way, especially if they've specced manual secondaries :v:

I fully admit getting that close to BB's in a Cleveland means something has gone horribly wrong but that's Wargaming games.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The other day I got my smokestacks blown off in my Murmansk because a New York was tunnel visioning on an enemy. He even ran into me and dragged me a couple of kilometers when I was sitting stationary behind an island to shoot over it.
So yes, it is very possible to accidentally get hit with guns :v:

Also holy wow my New Orleans had a horrible time today just trying to get a win. Roflstomps, lemming trains, BB's sitting at the back swimming in circles, the works.

Meanwhile in my Cleveland it mostly came down to whoever got momentum first and in my third game with it my team got the momentum and kept it. Ended up swimming around at 658 health but we won and I was third on the scoreboard.

Take that people who say tier 5-7 MM is better than 8 :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Battleships should be shooting AP except in two situations:

A: Your only target is a destroyer and there is literally nothing else to shoot at: DD's don't have citadels so you'll pretty much only do overpen's on them. Sometimes this is still enough to kill them. Sometimes it's not and you'll want to switch to HE.

B: You're being bow-tanked by another BB and you can't overmatch their bow armor: HE will do more damage than overpenning the superstructure but it's tricky to judge: sometimes people broadside a bit when they get in knife fighting range and AP would cut their ship to ribbons.

BB's are all about the AP damage. 3 citadels from their guns will pretty much delete a cruiser from the game and good penetrations on enemy battleships will still do giant wodges of damage. The trick is getting into angles where you'll get those shots without being the target for them yourself.
The other trick is that Repair Party (the hp restoring consumable that every BB and tons of Cruiser's have) can fully repair HE and fire damage done. It can only repair 10% of AP damage done.

Tier 3 BB's are all pretty bad. Tier 4 is where BB's really start to come into their own and you can get a feel for your line. French BB's are faster on the straight and they have a good arrangement of guns but the caliber's are a bit lacking compared to other nation's BB's and their armor isn't as good.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Ah that's true, there's a reason all of my non American/Jap BB's are still at tier 4 while I pushed to t5 on the cruisers... HOWEVER:

Cobbsprite posted:

Even V is a shitshow.

The Kongo's only held back by the same thing every BB is (rng) and the New York's broadside is something to be respected even in T7 games (even if it's got the achingly slow American BB speed.)

Every tier of the game is a shitshow with the right (or in this case, wrong) teammates. That's not the ship's faults!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

pokchu posted:

I need some Missouri advice (or maybe this just applies to all BBs?)

I feel like all I get is overpens. I'll get what I think is a great shot & dispersion (aiming generally just beneath & behind the front turrets) just to have tons of overpens, and it seems like I get tons more overpens then I should be getting. Is there something I'm missing?

Keep in mind I don't really play Battleships much at all, I stick to my destroyers and cruisers.
What ranges are you shooting from? At long range you can have perfect shot dispersion but your rounds will plunge down into the superstructure and count as overpenning even if there's boat underneath that superstructure (in my experience.)

At knife-fighting range against CL's with paper armor your rounds are likely going through the entire boat, which would be an overpen. I've had this problem on my New Orleans a few times when doing operations and getting in close to dallas's: 'wtf all of my shots are overpenning but i know i'm shooting the citadel'

You might also be aiming a bit high, I'm not sure if 'just beneath the front turrets' means the waterline, but you want to be aiming at the waterline.

toadee posted:

Skill based MM wouldn't make all potato matches, it would just mean in a pool of 10 poo poo players, 10 not-so-poo poo players, and 4 decent or better players, they would be distrubted evenly across the two teams instead of all good players on one and all average on the other

Fixed. :colbert:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Solo DD players also don't know how paranoid some people can get about them and how incredibly obvious DD's can be in their sneakyness.

Even to the tune of 'huh, there's a smokescreen appearing in the cap circle and i haven't seen anything. i wonder if there's a DD in there. oh i'm spotted, there's probably going to be torpedoes.'

Some people are just clueless though. Like those who don't know what radio location does.

Or what Radar is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

rotaryfun posted:

To be fair though, the game doesn't explain the different tools to you at all. Until you get curious enough to look, why would you know?
Radar's excusable under this since the only way to see what it does is to look it up externally or have a ship that can use radar.

But not knowing what Radio Location does is tantamount to not looking at captain skills which is something that the game does point you in the direction of. I was confused when that icon popped up the first time but it clicked pretty quickly since I had read all of the captain skill blurbs.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Containers are on Account Level 4 which you should have and would probably explain why you don't see it if you don't have that account level.

I haven't bothered with camo, premium consumables or signals on my boats under tier 5. I threw on the +exp economy signal on my tier 5's since I had over a hundred of them at one point and should probably throw the repair/refit flag on them too.
Tier 6/7 is when I rice up my boats with camo and signals.

I'm saving my premium consumables for tier 9/10.

Although I should throw some on my Cleveland since I'm not planning to run Defensive AA on anything else at the moment.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The Team Container's are also going to give you a bunch of coal if you've been participating in that.

I've been going for coal because I want a Musashi as a credit earner/captain trainer :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'll get it tomorrow or sometime. Too busy bankrupting myself going from a New Orleans to a Buffalo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Welcome to the weekend at Wargaming.
Tanks. Boats. Planes.
It's all the same.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I had someone call out a Carrier player on the enemy team today in one of my t6 Fuso matches. Two carriers per team, dude on my team immediately went 'one carrier dude on the enemy team has unicum stats on his boat so watch out for him.' And it was true, that carrier player did pretty well.

His team still lost though.

Also some dude in a Saipan threw two lots of torp bombers at my Kirov in the cap. Cruelty to small boats :argh: (it was a good move, I was putting around because the entire team was faffing about so I was a pretty easy target. Survived only to get blown up in the inevitable crossfire.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I know, I know, but I've chosen this path for myself and I'm going to walk it.

I mean, there's your first problem. Neither boats or planes have any feet. You gotta get used to the rudders and the ailerons.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Heartcatch posted:

Cruisers in general have had a fire support role unless someone makes a giant mistake. Like TheFluff said live behind an island, know your own acceleration and turn out times so you know when you absolutely have to retreat and reposition. Make sure when you park behind an island, you are already positioned for a turnout and that position allows you to float back and forth to get slightly better firing positions as the situation demands. Understand angles so that you can open water gunboat if needed. Wiggling is an important part of this, locking your guns while you manoeuvre and then turning while the enemy is on reload so that you can fire a full volley repeatedly. You'll still get citadeled through the bow and stern at times, so it's something you will have to learn to live with.
In CL's you don't even need to lock the turrets since your turret rotation is pretty great. Being able to run away and dodge incoming fire while throwing your own back at them is pretty much what you have to do in US CL's when things go pear shaped.

British CL's have something that let you be a bit more aggressive though: torpedoes. Don't forget you have torps because they'll allow you to take on things that you just have to run away from in US CL's (and the brits are worse at the 'kiting to oblivion' strat due to not having HE shells.)

Map knowledge/awareness will come with experience. One thing that pretty much every great player does is they look around a lot. After every shot they zoom out, take a quick look around and zoom back in for their next shot. Get into the practice of doing that if you haven't already.

The closest I've come to carrying games in my Cleveland have been when I've put myself in places where I can keep my guns going, keep myself alive and keep the enemy team from winning by repositioning myself to rain fire down on them.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I got the Des Moines camo because I'm not planning on getting a Worchester anytime soon and the rest of my tokens are probably going to go to getting containers. Need dat coal.

Although if I do get enough eagle tokens to get another camo, I'll just go for the Des Moines again so I can get 10 million credits so I can afford to actually get the Des Moines. High tier botes are expensive :saddowns:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Roller Coast Guard posted:

Are the premium ships available for coal or steel worth buying? Or should I blow those resources on crates or something?

For Steel, the Flint is pretty much an Atlanta with a little less health and swaps Radar for a Smoke, making it more of a heavy destroyer/british CL with access to HE spam. It's still got the ridiculous Atlanta guns.
Also the Black is kind of like a Fletcher with long range (but slow) torps and packs a short-range Radar.

For Coal, you've got the Musashi which is a Yamato at tier 9 with bad AA and slightly more inaccurate (but still 460mm) guns. That's about it, the rest of the ships are gimmicky or not worth it aside from collecting.

The Salem's a Des Moines with crappy radar and british BB tier repair party. But more importantly, it doesn't seem to get the premium ship bonus for credits and xp and as such a Des Moines with permanent camo will earn more money and xp than a Salem with the same. It's not worth it when the Musashi's right there and cheaper.
The Aigle's a weird DD that has lots of health, an insane engine boost, big guns for a DD and hard hitting torps. But she's fat on the turn, her guns rotate on molasses and the torps are slow and have horrible firing arcs.
The October Revolution is a BB with a unique Damage Control Party that reloads ridiculously fast. But she's a dreadnaught style BB at tier 5 (so fat, slow but heavily armored) and that damage control has limited charges. Pretty good when top tier but not great when bottom tier.

And the Yubari & Campbell town are only good for collecting because they're below tier 5 :colbert:

I'd say the Steel ships are worth it and the Musashi is worth saving up for (since with a coupon you'll get one way faster than trying the free xp route.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Aug 16, 2018

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Darkrenown posted:

I don't think the DM outearns the Salem though, doesn't the Salem have default reduced service costs plus premium camo?

It's the exact same Type 20 camo that you can get on the Des Moines. So yeah, if you have a Des Moines without permanent camo then a Salem probably earns more, but from what I've seen people say that's it. Salem doesn't get any further modifiers to credits/xp other than the 'free' permanent camo.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Finally got Operation Hermes actually completed today. With 5 stars even.

All it took was being one of two boats not in a clan division who was doing it :shepicide:

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I have been getting mostly cruiser runs on it, although I did have one 3 BB run that ended much like the rest: the last three DD's unloaded a wall of torps and none of the BB's were in a position to body block the Ruan so it went down.

The group that I finished with had most of them huddling around the Ruan at the final stretch while one of them hung back to shred the Graf Zepplin and us non-divisioned cruisers went ahead to try and head off those last 3 dd's.