Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Poizen Jam posted:

... Which SimCity are you taking about?

3000 had fresh water (which needed pumps) and salt water (which needed desal plants).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Bel Monte posted:

Sometimes it helps to have a prebuilt starter city to break up grids. It forces you to bulldoze sections to fix things. Or change up the layout, because you've got money and the city is already built but "badly".

I learned to do that with the one by SonOfADiddy on the workshop. Just search for starter on the save games section.

Tunnels to nowhere? Hundreds of thousands of wasted dollars?
Most realistic city sim 2015.

Making a bad city that needs a lot of tweaking and restructuring is the easiest thing in the world. I've played SimCity that way for years. Just slap stuff around at random, barely paying attention to what you're doing, for a half hour and you'll have a sizable but dysfunctional city that you can then have fun fixing.

Works for me :shrug:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Poil posted:

They could go for always online. :haw:

:boom:

Awww poo poo son!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

MikeJF posted:

And then the authors are all see it's possible why doesn't CO just do it huh.

They wouldn't even add too many buildings into one set for fear of performance issues.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

It makes you wonder how CO is going to approach potentially heavily performance impacting DLC in the future, as from the sounds of it their plans going forward are to add further depth to the simulation.

An interview with Colossal's CEO made the rounds a week or two ago, wherein she said straight out that they won't be making any major upgrades to the game's traffic simulation, because anything more complex than what's already there makes the game too resource-intensive and they don't want the bar for how powerful a user's computer has to be to play the game at all set too high.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Are we talking about SC4 plus Rush Hour as it came out of the box? Or SC4 as it exists in 2015 with ten years' worth of mods?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I love the SC3K News Ticker mod that replaces the dull C:S filler chirps with the much more amusing SC3K ones ("Broccoli discovered to be colonies of tiny aliens with murder on their minds"). I wish it chirped just a little less frequently, though.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

xzzy posted:

SimCity 3000 did that too, right?

I loved that feature, no airport looked the same.

Though it did waken my inner sperg where I'd bulldoze components of the airport until it randomly developed the way I wanted.

In SC3000 you could use the building plop cheat to sperg out your airports. It was awesome.

They wouldn't function, but at least they looked good :colbert:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

thepostaldude posted:

Is this a recent screenshot? I would have thought they have fixed the purple pollution by now.

One of the most popular mods in the Workshop fixes it. I doubt CO is going to bother with it now.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, let's wait and see what it actually looks like when delivered. Paradox is infinitely more trustworthy than the likes of EA, but marketing should always be taken with three or four grains of salt.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lycaeon posted:

I just found a mod that actually manages to convince these simulated bastards to use multiple lanes: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=492391912.

Warning to anyone who doesn't already know: Traffic++ puts an enormous strain on your CPU. (This is why CO did not put this functionality in the vanilla game and has already said it does not intend to.) Yes, yes, no one reading this thread has an HP Pavilion, but whatever your specs are, your city will grow to unplayability significantly sooner with Traffic++ installed.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lycaeon posted:

Well, the mod linked isn't Traffic++ persay.

Well, that mod is the part of Traffic++ that strains a computer. The custom roads and so forth aren't as big a deal.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

T minus four days till all the mods break! :derp:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The game could definitely use some kind of notification that pops up and tells you "Hey chucklefuck, you just FUBAR'd your bus routes." Or better yet, "Hey chucklefuck, you're about to FUBAR your bus routes, are you really really sure you want to do this?"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dandywalken posted:

It'd be sweet if at city creation, the game had some prompt from which to choose your goal with the city. So if you so wanted, you could make Slum-gently caress Hellhole, and the AI would understand the lack of water and deal with it. And the disease etc outbreaks.

It'd take a whole new system though probably to just tell the AI to outright ignore some stuff. Then new buildings etc :(

One of the things this game doesn't do that SimCity 4 does is, you really can't make a dystopian hellhole slum in C:S, because the game is designed such that the biggest buildings are the highest value buildings. SimCity 4 would give you huge tenements or projects if you zoned high density residential in a low value area. C:S pretty much just gives you smallish buildings that never level up and just sit there.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's funny though, SimCity 3000 is my favorite game in the series. There are definitely things SimCity 4 does better, but SimCity 3000 was just so drat well designed, and the art and music fit into the game so well. It's just the most fun to play and strikes the right balance between being a simulation and a game, where IMO SimCity 4 is more sterile and takes itself a bit too seriously.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The soundtrack's still pretty easy to find if you look around. I keep the C:S music turned off and play the SC3K music in winamp instead :dance:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Customizable light colors should be doable, right? I won't be surprised if they turn up in a future DLC.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The reliable (conservative) rule of thumb I follow is, if the mod author hasn't posted in the description or comments that it's updated for After Dark, assume the mod won't work.

Actually, after disabling some mods and loading it up for a half hour or so just to go "oooooooh!", I'm just going to wait a week or so before reinstalling mods and going to it again. I'm lazy and that's the simplest way to deal with it. There are other games to play. Or hell, I could even go really crazy and do something productive with my time. (hahahaha)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't have After Dark yet, if a building says it's updated for that could it be the problem?

Doubt it. Mostly it's the auto-installed patch that came alongside the DLC that is breaking stuff, not the DLC itself, I believe.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

I seem to have trouble getting cyclists to use dedicated bike paths, although they will take the other kinds of paths as well as roads with bike lines.

This game models real life better than I thought!

:downsrim:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don't forget the part where they end up costing three times the displayed price. I mean, if we're really going to have American Roads...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

There's no reason to make the player manually lay down water lines, either. Buildable power and water lines should be strictly for "need to get power/water across the river" type projects.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The point of water towers is so you accidentally forget one single tower is there and let pollution creep up on it, turning your city into 14th century Europe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Game is way more fun when I finally let myself stop worrying about inefficient use of spaces due to angled intersections and curved roads.

You will reach enlightenment when you come to regard buildings as a waste of space that could be used for pretty :spergin: roads

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hit escape to bring up the menu -> New City

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

My guess is if making shorelines easy to make pretty weren't a technical nightmare then there would already be good mods for it. Wouldn't hold my breath waiting for that DLC but you never know.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's roundabouts all the way down.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So my computer is generally fine running this poo poo on fast on a 200k plus city but lately my computer has just been turning off while playing skylines, specially if I walk away from the computer for a moment even if I'm running on normal speed. This computer has zero issues and has been fantastic for gaming so it's really concerning. I'm guessing something is over-heating?

Like 98% it's your CPU overheating, yeah.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Tippis posted:

I wonder if this game might have some hidden political agenda, come to think of it. :D

Hidden?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

I know CO only has so much time but I'm a bit surprised at the amount of very basic things you have to do with mods. Fine roads heights should just be how the game works, should be one of those updates in a patch they did instantly like with right clicking to reverse one way streets. 12m height increments is nuts and hogties what you can do.

Or how you have to get a mod to manually control the number of vehicles on a transit line. It's just a really good idea that most everyone wants, global funding via budget just doesn't give the per-line control you need so you end up with a flood of buses on an unused line and still too few on a heavy line. Also you need a mod to make your transit vehicles not bunch up?? That should be vanilla.

I'll keep buying expansions with poorly implemented "new" features if they keep putting out patches that implements the most popular simple mods.

Welcome to the future. Why pay programmers to do work that players are willing to do for free? The smart modern game studio just makes sure the basic engine is functional and robust and turns it loose, knowing modders will do the rest.

This is why Bethesda et. al.'s attempts to enslave modders for extra profit is incredibly, idiotically shortsighted and self-destructive. They're just going to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. Paradox understands that the smart play is the exact opposite: Release a game that's simplistic and vanilla but stable and robust, sell it cheap, embrace the modding community and welcome modders to improve the game and add value.

e: The actual content the After Dark DLC adds is pretty embarrassing for its $30 price tag, but people happily buy it because that's how much goodwill Paradox has built with its customers.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Oct 30, 2015

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Huh. You are correct of course. Could have sworn I saw it at $30 when I checked last week :downs:

And you may be right about Paradox too but they definitely got the model right on this game and have been pretty drat cooperative with modders and players, so far as I know, so I'll stand by my post about them being pretty much the anti-EA/Bethesda.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Devil's advocate, there was that one super hilarious time when a CK2 patch broke the AI such that AI rulers could not ever disband their armies, turning the entire game into easy mode, and it took Paradox like 3 weeks to fix it.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Freudian posted:

It was released just before the Christmas holidays - which admittedly was bad timing to release a patch, but you can't blame Paradox for not fixing a bug when they did not in fact have any devs available.

Can we blame them for the obvious fact they really really wanted the patch out before their Christmas break so they rushed it out without doing any testing on it to make sure it didn't contain any extremely obvious game-breaking bugs?

I'm not fired up or anything, looking back it was pretty funny. Would've been better to just delay the patch and do some proper QA on it, but they probably learned their lesson.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Eric the Mauve your bitterness at game developers is pretty sad. I don't have much to contribute to the discussion otherwise but I just felt like saying. Not every game company is Big Dev out to cut every possible corner to save time so that they don't have to pay their employees or whatever.

I have no idea what you're on about. I loathe EA and everything they stand for like any right-thinking person should, and gently caress Bethesda forever for their monetizing mods bullshit, but I love Paradox. I think there's a difference in my posts between when I'm ripping up something I hate versus when I'm making fun of something I like. So... sorry if it doesn't come through my keyboard when I'm just poking fun I guess?

fakeedit: I've been critical of design choices (loving India) in the CK2 thread so I guess maybe that's where you're getting it. But I still :love: Paradox. Nobody gets every decision right but Paradox is very much doing the "making and selling games" thing right these days.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

njsykora posted:

I got this a few days ago out of an urge for city building and my first city burned because the fire trucks were constantly stuck in traffic. How does traffic flow work?

Have you seen the various pictures in this thread of crazy-looking chtulhic highway ramp spaghetti? It's not just for show.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

kemikalkadet posted:

I think I've hit critical mass where my computer can't run my city anymore.

I think it's actually critical mass where C:S can't run your city anymore because it's reached the hard agent limit, but, yep.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I'd love to see air pollution an actual city-wide thing blown around by winds. Also the game wants everything perfect otherwise people complain and abanon. There's no middle ground. Either the location is pollution and that will give you a big warning icon or it's not. The area is noisy and people need to be rushed to the hospital, or they're fine. The like no gradients. Things are either perfect, it's a disaster you need to solve right now.

This is all true, but let's remember, this is a new game that's so different from the kinds of games the SimCity series were that it's practically a brand new genre. This is just the beginning, as the original SimCity was. Ten years from now C:S3 will already be well on its way to overcomplexity.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

deadly_pudding posted:

What the game doesn't simulate, but I kind of wish they did, is slumlords moving in to turn all those abandoned houses into lovely rental properties that hold 2 or 3 times as many households at like level 1 quality... forever. Like fuckin 80% of the city I live in.

SimCity 4 simulated that and did it quite well. Most players modded the mechanic out of the game.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, with commercial I also get "NOT ENOUGH EDUCATED WORKERS!!!!!!1" a lot even when the city in general and that area in particular are neck-deep in education facilities. After a while you learn to just ignore them.

Building commercial when it's not really needed was the main thing I kept tripping over. "Oh look C demand is sky high, let's build a bunch of commercial zones... oh look, they're all abandoned." It's weird but commercial is super finicky while offices are basically insatiable. (And industrial will bitch about not enough educated workers, take a long time to finally fill up with workers and then basically be cool forever.) It kind of feels like R and I/O interact somewhat but C is just off by itself and basically :psyduck:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Deadly Hume posted:

Yeah, it's just that it can be computationally expensive to do that stuff, and CO probably shipped with a simpler (but less efficient) pathing model to keep the game accessible to as many PC setups as possible. Maybe they'll have another look at it the way they've increased some of the build limits in the latest patch.

CO's CEO has said on record that the traffic is working as designed for exactly that reason, that running an intelligent traffic simulation requires an excessively high-end computer, and she also said if mods fix it that's fine but CO is not going to change the default traffic model.

Whether you take her words at face value or instead suspect CO's just holding out a must-have traffic fix for a future DLC is up to you.