Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
On the other hand, Out There is terrible and devoid of anything resembling interesting and/or fun gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

The thread finally wore me down and I'm now playing Gems of War. How's the second guild coming along? I want all the free stuff I'm entitled to.
Also seconding the idea for a dedicated thread.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Tiny Chalupa posted:

I'll make the guild today, works been hectic and long , and a thread on the private game server?
Not sure how I feel making a dedicated thread on this forum just for the game

Nah, in Games. We have a thread for Star Wars Commander that has barely any traffic, but it's useful to consolidate info/tips/general advice and conversations in one place, especially for newbies like me. And unlike SWC, Gems has been talked about a lot in here, so I imagine the thread would be pretty active (at least for a while).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Is there a way to stop the Flee command from making my bots pinball between red and green enemies in the last mission? drat thing always gets (at least) one bot killed.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Big Ink posted:

Yes. You want to not be between them.

Obviously, but that circumvents the problem, it doesn't fix it. I meant use the Flee command in a way that doesn't send the bot towards another enemy.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

That's alright, just thinking of ways to optimize things now that I finished all the missions.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Egg inc question: any prestiging tips? I seem to remember someone going into detail about a strategy they had that got them something like 4k soul eggs, but I can't find it.

I'm hopelessly addicted and no one's talking about it any more :negative:

How far are you in the game? Prestiging when you double your soul eggs works when you're starting out. After that, do it whenever you feel like you've stop progressing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I'm at something like 13k soul eggs, and I can't raise the $1.4 nonillion to advance past Tachyon eggs. I've also upped my soul egg value to be 14% from epic research, I'm just wondering if I'm missing something.

Nope. There's really only two choices: idle harder or throw some cash at the devs. Back when I still played, I reached Dilithium with ~15k, though it took a while; if I were you, I'd start prestiging more often to speed things up.

The Duggler posted:

Stop playing incremental games imo

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

If you're impatient after a week then you're not gonna last with this game. This could be seen as a positive, though all this talk made me re-install it to see what's new and damned if I don't want to try to get those shiny new couple of eggs.

(if no one else cares about egg inc. chat, probably best to switch to PMs)

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Swiping is definitely the way to go so you don't accidentally tap on buildings.

Another pro-tip: upgrading your housing increases your farm value by a lot (upgrading the depot doesn't) and eventually becomes better value than research in order to reach the next egg.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

You don't need to prestige a lot. I've done it ~10 times and am up to the second-to-last egg (discovered, not unlocked). I do have access to trophies which makes things easier. Keep in mind soul eggs give you such a large bonus that you'll be able to skip many egg types as you move up to your previous level. On the other hand, skipping is a bad move if you plan on eventually cracking open the piggy bank.

You can focus on missions for a while instead of going for the next upgrade.

If you - or your kids - are hands-on, increase your farm value as much as you can (buying new housings even if you don't need them) so drones, boxes and ads are worth more. A few beefed-up elite drones can really speed things up.
If you're hands-off, consider buying the silo upgrade. Couple that with a few choice epic research (video doubler thing, internal hatchery) and you'll progress pretty fast in your downtime.

edit: ^^^^ manual fabrication of chickens is only worth it for the multiplier, the actual number of chickens produced pales compared to the massive spontaneous generation occurring in your housings. The stats only reflect this internal sorcery. ^^^^

seravid fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 18, 2017

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, ok. Well, I just looked up all the quests, and I can't say I have any motivation to go any further. Not even casually, like the whole 'check it once in a while' thing, such a steep climb to the next goalpost kills it for me.

Time for Harbinger!

FWIW, a fully upgraded internal hatchery produces 40 million chickens per 24h.

Late game you're very much expected to use time warp. Missions (not trophies) give you around 8k golden eggs total and the piggy bank is fairly well priced once it's up to a few tens of thousands.

But if you're out, you're out. I only came back now after a few months not playing.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Bob understated it, trophies give you megabucks: up to millions of soul eggs and somewhere around 50k golden eggs. Some of them are whales-only, but many should be easy enough to obtain.

It's a neat end-game system, even if the superficial gameplay doesn't allow for much (or any) creativity in its objectives. The best part is the enormous trophy shelf (taller than a truck!) facing the road so all your employees can see how obscenely rich you've become selling painted "magical" eggs to chumps.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I haven't spent money on it either, but I don't think it's that absurd. Yeah, it's a game without most of the game part, but it's still enjoyable at some level so I wouldn't have a problem rewarding the devs. The silo upgrade is definitely too expensive, but the piggy bank isn't (silos can go up to 4 hours with research).

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

It's close to 7$ for me too (Europe).

Dancer posted:

If you're going for the late game, look through my recent posts in this thread. I made a small effortpost on which epic upgrades are worth it and not.

Hold to hatch crucial :crossarms:

I also disagree with your ranking of soul food. Along with internal hatcheries, it's the most valuable upgrade.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Well, I did it; At 58k golden eggs, I bought the piggy bank.

I'm in it now, gents... See you whenever. :negative:

Spend them wisely, you need 400k to max everything.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I finished the last quest in Egg Inc, to get 250 trillion Dilithium eggs. Spent A TON of golden eggs to warp and get 10m edible eggs. There's no way I'm going to bother trying to get 50m, it would take months of playing either through a ton of prestige or just letting money build up. I think I've reached my limit.

The first couple of 10mil trophies are actually pretty cool to do since they force you to make choices instead of maxing every upgrade blindly. Actual gameplay!

The 50mil and 250mil edible are clearly meant for whales and can/should be ignored.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Negrostrike posted:

Is there any active goon squad on Star Wars Commander yet? Did I get into the bandwagon too late? I'm kinda digging this Clash of Clans clone.

The thread's long dead so you're probably too late, but check if any of the goon squads are still active. (link)

Be warned that the end-game grind is (was?) awful.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Unless the Omega edition fundamentally changes the game, don't bother.

edit: checked on youtube and it looks the same. Orbit, Land, drill, take off, jump, over and over again until the game warps you to a system you can't get out of.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

And a large update at that. Nice to see the devs attempted to make manual hatching worthwhile. The offline hatch boost is nice, too.

Hell of a timing, though, I was only one gold trophy away from the full set.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

butt dickus posted:

Has anyone gotten the "internal hatchery sharing" upgrade in Egg Inc and does it go past 100%? That would make it worth getting but 100 or less is a waste.

It is not. Previous best strat for 250mil trophies was 4 eggtopias with 20% grav plating. With hatchery sharing you can now go with the much cheaper 3 eggtopias, 1 monolith (no grav plating) and suffer no penalty in hatching rate.

What I want to know is if you do the big warp, should you do the x2 boost first? Does the big boost time get taken advantage of during the warp?

Yes and yes.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

butt dickus posted:

I can't remember running out of space and not having enough cash to upgrade habitats but I've been playing for a long time. Seems like there are better things to spend gold eggs on.

It's only an issue for the first few eggs' gold trophies (and platinum now too, I suppose), where cash is the limiting factor.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I don't either. I've tried others (tap titans, whatever the fish one is called) and quickly uninstalled them, but I keep coming back to this one.

It's probably due to having goals through missions/trophies.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Morter posted:

So how exactly do I keep playing Gems of War without overleveling, and having most encounters contain monsters much stronger than my own? :x

Post your invite code in the thread to join one of our guilds and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Re. A Planet of Mine:

Does the full version fix the hard limit on basic resources? By providing an unlimited number of planets (procedurally generated?) or trading partners guaranteed to have these resources... or something. I'm almost at level 10 but, with no AI and only three planets, I'll soon run out of things to do, which is an odd and unsatisfying way for a game to end.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I know about challenges, I'm doing the 50k one to bypass the 300 turn limit from Free Mode... and I'm just noticing the description mentions it's a tiny system. Unlimited mode apparently has 15 planets? (fixed number?) That's pretty good.

coyo7e posted:

One question that's not clear in-game, a lot of tiles and stuff seem to mention they provide resources to neighboring tiles, but I've never really seen this working in action. Does it work?

That just means the neighboring tiles will have more of X or Y resource, it doesn't actively do anything.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Are emulators still a thing? Been thinking about buying an 8bitdo controller to play OMF 2097 a rich and diverse variety of old games, but I don't actually know how feasible that is.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

Get the Broglia emulators, well worth the money.

Cool, I'll definitely try a few of them. He doesn't make a DOS emulator, but Magic DOSBox seems to work ok.

Any suggestions as to which 8bitdo controller to buy? I'm partial to the classic SNES pad, but one with twin sticks would probably make more sense.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

I hadn't thought about input lag. That would ruin fighting games :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Nice. Anyone playing this on a 5.5" screen?