Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Hirayuki posted:

Now I'm wondering how a one-two punch of carotenoids and colloidal silver would look.

:argh: drat you 13th century England and your lack of photographic science! I'm mildly intrigued and demand satisfaction! Prison for the rolling stones!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

No no, we use it like east asian languages do - far-bror means "stranger who presents as male" and is synonymous with [Gubbe] "(possibly strange) old man"
(and also best not to talk to any "uncles" because people you don't know are violent and dangerous in sparsely populated iron age societies I guess?).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nope, anyone can be a uncle. It's tongue in cheek diminutive like if you say it or gubbe about/to someone you know. Coincidentally no one has called their uncle "uncle Firstname" since 1960

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

lmao

i actually didnt understand the security guy at first cause of the way he pronounced albarn (i assume correctly). a short but very embarrasing intermezzo of "mate that was albarn" what? "damon albarn" who? "gently caress sake. da-mon al-barn" ohhhhh

danish radio hosts have used like 7 different pronunciations so i tend to go for owlbaairn

:stare: it's aal-baaun. wtf denmark

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Just wait till you hear how the Swedes pronounce Anglo names.

:stares at you in swedish: but doctor

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

:wrong: its more like ahl-baahn

Thats what I said

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Nature hires seven fur seals to protect it from robbers ?

Rubbers, but close

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Domus posted:

Hey, be nice. Not everyone lives where the grocery stores all have a kosher section.

Poor bastards probably have never even tried gefilte fish.

Are you trying to say lutefisk?:confuoot:
And why do you need to see our ding ding dongs, I'm confused:confused:

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 20:34 on Oct 31, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Nah, that's fish jello.

I thought that was fishsallad in gelatine

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Mensch as an expression meaning a good person, someone who goes beyond for other people solely out of humanity, is a thing in Swedish still if a bit old sounding. You'll encounter it in older texts but sometimes also in daily speech among certain folks. Oh, and it has no implied gender traditionally - a good person is a good person is a true mensch.

E. It is also very clearly a direct loan from Yiddish to Swedish, no etymological doubt there

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Nov 1, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nope, sweden has the expression mensch (with that spelling) alongside the languages word for human (människa in this case) like every other socioculture who has the expression in common* use

*common as you'll hear it from old people with pretences to cultural elitism or whatever, a random teenager won't be saying it or likely ever even heard it. Did I mention it sounds old here? Anyway, yiddish has left random artefacts in (formerly standard usage) swedish was my point

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

teen witch posted:

Anyway don’t ever get me drunk, I sound like a screeching train wreck.

Aah, a German. Or vampire, one or the other

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 16:23 on Nov 2, 2021

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Kantesu posted:

Most mathematicians feel that mathematics is something worth doing chiefly for its own sake. We can do it, and it's pretty enjoyable (as evidenced by the folks playing with that arabic grid method; I'd love to see a proof of why that works sometime), so why not pursue it? That it happens to have applications outside of "why not?" is largely regarded as a bonus. Math class isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) chiefly concerned with teaching 100% useful skills, it's for introducing kids to concepts so the ones that end up really interested in it can pursue it as far as they care to.

Buddy. Friend. I did not suffer through 15 years of math class for the sake of some gently caress in every class who really liked math. Holding everyone else hostage for the delight of the math nerd is not a sane proposal. Good people hate math ipso facto

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I prefer hey hey we're the monkees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksJ6QP8BYn0

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

The differences are minor enough to be within the margin of error.

You know what the worst thing about icelanders is? They all know how to make other northerners go off (not in the sexy way, they can't do that)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Lady Disdain posted:

Today I discovered that twist-to-open tampon wrappers apparently have a right and a wrong way to twist them, and the fact that I'm left handed means that I twist them the wrong way, and this is why I've struggled with the bloody things for a decade and a half :bang:

This is what people should post in the schadenfreude thread, but I'm still waiting for them to figure out what the word means.

Also my stomach hurts now because I laughed to hard. Karma.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Weembles posted:

The wierdest Forgotten Weapons episode yet.

Weapon of Choice is a music video

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

learnincurve posted:

you could always be from my town where they started out as some sort of design in the year 1234 AD* but ended up as cobbles with uncountable different pattens and pathways cutting across them over the centuries.

*no really, that's the actual date

Now you've confused all the Euro- Asian- Afri-goons not seeing anything unusual

Hyperlynx posted:

These are three separate songs:

...actually, I'm still not quite sure they are.

:)

EuroDance: WHYY?! - a history
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K96w5QF-lAs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUPH_Aj-GGE

E.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yau8nHOXhug

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 09:04 on Mar 4, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0quXl_od3g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uh50U-Xo0g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiWtqVtd1Oo

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

This isn't really a Bombshell, we all know how Jaded you are. That said, with enough Knowledge I'm pretty sure One Of These Days you're Gonna Find You actually like some songs, even blasting them over your Sound System so loud you could hear them all over your Big City even from a Room Without A Window. Take Warning, it's not a Bad Town. Unity.

I got your number (54-46) pal

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

credburn posted:

I had an autistic diagnosis a few years ago and another neurodivergent friend told me that she could tell right away, before my diagnosis, just based on the way I text. She says I have no understanding of "polite texting" as she called it. "For instance," she says. "You always end your texts with a period*."

So what? I says to her. That's not polite?

She says there's a subtext to it, that I clearly don't read, but others do. Which is why nobody else ends their texts or instant messages with a period.

And I said, What? What the gently caress are you talking about? Of course everyone ends their texts with periods. Otherwise there would be chaos and anarchy.

But then I checked and motherfuck my world is blown away. I am the only one out of like a dozen people I message that actually ends messages with a period. If there are multiple sentences in a text, they use punctuation, all but the last period. People think I'm autistic because I'm consistent with punctuation? How did I not even notice people do this? This is polite texting?!

*the big reveal here is that people will use punctuation if it's a question, or if they want to add exclamation points, but if it's a period, everyone just leaves the sentence to hang!!!

It's much more an age thing than ND. Some cool kid stopped bothering with the last dot while texting somewhere in the '00 and it spread. Boomers still dot all the time, but noone younger except as an insult or when writing job emails

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

I put a period on the end of my texts because I want to come of as angry.

I think you come off enough already

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's weird that there are no Finnish sea shanties, despite the fact that Finns have been selling wind and sailing the seas to foreigners for hundreds of years.

Maybe its just that the Finnish sailors actually worked for their pay unlike the perfidious Anglophones who are responsible for Steam-Powered Giraffe and Markiplier.

There's actually tons of Finnish sea shanties
The words are in Swedish

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Torquemada posted:

The Microwave Defence.

This shouldn't be a thread title, it should be the sub title of the forums

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

And even after all this time it's still funny.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

A secretary is someone you entrust with your secrets

A general secretary is someone who entrusts your secrets with them

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

*running into the thread, breathlessly*

Has anyone told them they're wrong yet?!

But like they are so wrong tho? And they have never heard about Teddy Roosevelt saying "wtalk softly, and carry a big stick" tho?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hell, also same from supposedly Al Capone but differently worded in "you get further with a loaded gun and a polite word than you get with just a polite word"

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I just figured out the reason the beeb banned rebel songs is they're kinda catchy. Infectious even

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEjEGbAFzJU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I guess he likes beer. Worked for the supreme court :shrug:

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

I thought it was mostly the wives that got an education in screwing when their husbands joined the Army.

What kind of non-standard army recruits people old enough to be married

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Captain Splendid posted:

I once observed a woman in her fifties finally learning that the sun was a star.

Because her colleague had read about it the day before.

"But it's out during the day!", she replied.

One of these days I'd love to find out what this specific kind of person would put on a list named "interesting things I'd enjoy thinking about" and what they put in the "boring crap that is pointless to think about" garbage bin and most of all, why

Your ignorance is bliss for you, but it can be a curse for everyone else (cf. climate change)

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 00:21 on Aug 18, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I just now realized that since Americans say dog breeds and not dog races, you might've been missing a key part to why other people get so upset about using the word race for people.

Do most people globally know that there's common history between racism, eugenics, dog breeding and the word race? I'm a bit shuck now

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Try putting "dog breed" into google translate for French, German, nordic languages, Spanish (etc?) for a surprise

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

What? That's not an American thing (I'm Australian). Never in my life have I ever even seen someone refer to dog breeds as "races" until your post. Are you a native English speaker?

A "dog race" is https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_racing

Sure, make it native English speakers. I focused on america since, ya know, "place where they commonly talk about people being different races".
Of course I'm extremely esl and everyday my english is getting worse with no end in sight. Woe and ashes, we shall be payed.

Sooo... fun fact: a subset of 2nd language speakers have our impressions of the word "race" fundamentally coloured by how that word is used in our languages, ie exclusively(?) to dog breeds and by-and-for dog breeders. And by the kind of locals who then also apply it to people.

And that enormity of difference between the languages hit me with some force earlier

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

I hope it's not a surprise that our languages did use the word in the same way as the spanish right up until about 1945 right? E. Also that local racist still use it that way and that's how the interpretation gets perpetuated.

Look, I'm saying that a number of people who has English as a learned second language always do a double take whenever we hear or see a native English speaker use that word, and that I had a sudden realisation that we have wildly different associations as to what that word, with different but unmistakably similar spellings and pronounciations, represents. And how it had been staring me in the face for decades.

The subconcious unease with the apperently universal racism from English speakers talking about people as different dog breeds. The unthinking false equivalence of one word that doesn't actually carry the same associations across european languages. The sudden realisation. The aha-moment. That's what I'm talking about. I can't believe I only just now figured that out.

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Aug 26, 2022

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would you worry about the ethnicity of a dog

Because they wouldn't be pure in their breed unless you make sure. Purebred if you will. Or Cleanrace in Swedish.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Well then, thank you for posting that clarification to what was confusing to some, since I didn't.

The entire point;
words have emotional associations. While technically knowing a language for decades, I personally had an unanalysed bias to what I associated the word race (tr. ras) with, and had never actively thought about how that link doesn't exist in English. I know other europeans have the same association from experience, and at times it unknowingly affects discussions with native English speakers. I thought it was interesting.
Is there anything left that's unclear? I hope not.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

"Anyone who says race is a believer in eguenics and that all humans aren't biologically the same! That's what people think about different dog breeds (E: = tr. dog race/hund ras)! Oh wait, different language, I forgot the word race isn't the same as ras"

I'm the dumb one, I don't understand what you don't understand. I give up

ThisIsJohnWayne has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Aug 27, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

zedprime posted:

Oh yeah then explain noted not-soap, toothpaste.

I like cats!