Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

I used to have tan genitals.

How're you recovering after the surgery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phosphine posted:

I am not aware of any cereal it would be pronounced like.

Kix?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

kazil posted:

Another time where someone posts in the Stuff You Cant Believe You Just Figured Out thread without doing research. I have personally witnessed at least 3 witches flying through tilted windows.

They'd hit their heads on the top, idiot. Brooms don't let you slide to the side because of the shape.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

witches ain't poo poo but hoes on sticks

:golfclap:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Snapchat A Titty posted:

I don't get it

Say it out loud.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

RandomFerret posted:

What the gently caress is going on? I swear that I read every part of this conversation already in a different thread, like, post for post. Next somebody is going to reply to that last post saying that it's a spoonerism, not an anagram.

I was thinking the same thing. It was weird. I think it's from way earlier in this thread though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SwissDonkey posted:

God drat, you are the most insufferable sperg on the internet. Stop making GBS threads up every thread with your pedantry. No one gives a flying gently caress what you have to say.

I'd rather read a thousand Tiggum posts than read another failed call out by some rando poster acting like they're the voice of the forums.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Guys, they're talking about Four Rooms ok?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

My Bloody Valentine is the name of both a band and a slasher movie, which is probably a play on My Funny Valentine, a jazz standard from the late 1930s.

At least that's what I assume they meant.

Also you give valentines hearts and hearts pump blood.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Geniasis posted:

The official story is that there was a whole crowd of people standing behind the camera guy.

That seems sadder somehow.

There's 4 Subway subs there and the cake is like a quarter-sized cake. There are only 4 people at that party.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

These two peoples' shoehorning in 'consent!!!!' for relevance because they're nobody artists desperate for attenion is cringeworthy, but the song itself is pretty disgusting, and talking about consent is cool and good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

the future is WOW posted:

Yeah, the lyrics sound skeevy when divorced from all context and authorial intent but if you actually look at it in light of the writer's intentions (as well as the time in which it was written) it becomes a lot less sinister.

In this context it's not skeevy at all, just a playful back and forth between two people who both want the same thing. He's not pressuring her to stay against her will, she wants to spend the night with him. But she also feels social pressure to maintain propriety, so he's making up excuses for her to use in order to disregard the demands of said pressure and do what she wants to do. The song was written in 1944, as a young single woman at that time if you were gonna spend the night with someone you weren't married to then you better have had a good excuse for your parents as to why you didn't come home.

If knowing all that you still think the song is skeevy and sounds like a rape in progress then I don't know what to tell you.

Whoa, media from almost 100 years ago sounds different in the cultural context of today's modern listener and the changed meaning might now seem offensive?!?!

Don't burn yourself on this hot take, bro.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

the future is WOW posted:

But you rock being the complete retard that you are, bro.

thanks, i trust your expert opinion on the subject

vvv well, you tried.

Yngwie Mangosteen has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Dec 3, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

I think it's more that a lot of people are ignoring that as originally written and performed (by the songwriter and his wife no less, if you want to really establish intent) she absolutely does want to stay and is looking for a pretext to do so, social norms considered.

Changing social norms are one thing certainly, but there seems to be this push that the song was about date rape even then and we just didn't recognize it as such, which is not really true.

The song is dated, but that doesn't mean that consensual sex didn't exist in the past.

Yeah but nobody is looking up the cultural relevance of a song they hear randomly in the supermarket. It didn't quite sound as bad back then, and there's apparently this context that pretty much everyone misses where she also wants to stay. Nobody says consensual sex didn't exist, that's a weird thing to take from hearing the song 'sounds a bit aggressive' which is the actual intent of the complaint 'the song sounds sorta rapey'. The song can come across pretty gross even if it wasn't written with the intent of being gross, and even if the message is not gross when you fully understand the historical context of the song and the intent of the female partner in the back and forth, it can still, justifiably, make people feel skeeved out when they hear it.

Like, you and that other dude who got a rage boner when I called him out are just missing that people have opinions about media sometimes that aren't 100% based in facts. And that's an ok thing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I don't think we're really disagreeing on anything here. The case you're talking about is critical quality-of-life health and safety poo poo that should have been funded and fixed. My point, to the extent that I had one, was that giving more money to a school system doesn't necessarily correlate into better-educated students, especially if the administration is corrupt or incompetent. There are excellent schools that don't get much funding, and school systems that don't get results even though they're like trying to smother a dumpster fire with money. Institutional attitude and motivation counts for a lot.

ok, you're right sometimes people are incompetent even if they work in schools. good point, very useful.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

rim.jobs webmaster posted:

Selfishness is not negative.

Libertarian spotted.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Have you been pronouncing the name Harriet "hairy-ett"?

How.. else would you?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

I can't believe there are still people that have yet to find out pronounciation derails are even more boring than regional banking differences derails or wet shaving fanatics invasions.

But oh man, bitching about thread content derails. Those are the good ones!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SirSlarty posted:

Seeing how both words are dairy products, the name Quark from DS9 could be an homage to Yogurt from Spaceballs.

Its much more likely that its just a sciency sounding name.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

There's a dairy product called quark?

There's a search browser called google too.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

You accidentally linked your homepage, he'd want to search 'quark dairy' on there instead.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ein cooler Typ posted:

yeah but the point is not only for me to find out what quark is, but also to say it's not as well known, so it's even less likely the character was named after it

Ok?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leavemywife posted:

The temperature of the water you use to wash your hands doesn't matter. The important thing is the soap.

The warmer water also removes oils/gunk from your hands easier. It just doesn't have an antibiotic temperature.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ArtIsResistance posted:

Um how are you supposed to? Banal = bay-null, banality = buh-nalitty. Right? Right!?!?!?!?

buh nahl

Though generally I've heard it with a shortened first a so it's more like b'nahl.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

The Snoo posted:

this is a good of a thread as any for this, I guess

my husband got me some colored pencils for christmas and I was like oh neat thanks but he called them 'map pencils' and apparently that's just what they're called in his part of texas? why????? every time he says it I have to take a second to figure out what the gently caress he said

I'm an artist, we've been together for over four years, and this has only come up now, too

I'm from DFW originally and yes, that is a common term for them.

Never really thought about it as a regional thing, but young me assumed it was because we used them to color in maps in grade school when doing geography class, but who knows what the real reason is.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I mean you CAN cable something, but unless you’re posting from 1903, you never will.

You can 'cable' a ton of IT projects actually.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

ladron posted:

can you draw this please bc idgi

Flip the tupperware over.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

lidnsya posted:

Jimmy John's, Papa John's, and Papa Murphy's are all the same restaurant that makes you cook your own pizzas and sandwiches.

I have looked up the difference between them a bunch of times but they always go back to being the same restaurant when I hear them mentioned. Why even bother ordering an uncooked pizza? gently caress Papa John, Papa Murphy, and Jimmy John for that bullshit gimmick.

Only Papa Murphey's does this.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Well now see here this is where typography comes in; I said "adults" not "adults" :smugmrgw:

You're a dolt.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

Would you happen to remember where you read this? I did some googling around but all I can find is the more recent homophobia scandal, and a small image of their first logo that looks really antisemetic.

I think he's being a bit over the top about this - https://imgur.com/a/bCnydhb

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

I realized I'd never watched the video for "Safety Dance," so I did, and my god there is a lot of headwear present, up to and including a pair of chicken masks

mask : hat :: hotdog : sandwich

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

What the gently caress is sometimes W in English.

In words like 'low' the w makes up the second part of the diphthong. Letters themselves aren't actually 'vowels' they're just letters, but rather the sound you make is the 'vowel sound'.

Source - https://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/when-is-w-a-vowel

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

bamhand posted:

So is L also a vowel then?

Sometimes, yeah.

http://www.dictionary.com/e/w-vowel/

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

doverhog posted:

The question has the presupposition that the tiny horses will be trying to kill you. Killing 100 tiny horses with your bare hands would be hard, and exhausting. Still a better option than the giant duck tho.

Just start kicking them around, ducks are tiny and horses are, as mentioned, very fragile. You'd almost immediately break all their legs and they'd be rendered harmless with like 30 seconds of kicking at most.

I guess it might be tedious to strangle them all individually if you had to kill and not just disable them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

Walter Matthau was not a news anchor-turned-actor, and was in fact never a news anchor at all—I think I somehow combined him and Walter Cronkite into one person. I can't really explain this one, because I wasn't confused about who Walter Cronkite was.

Uh. Very weirdly, same.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Born on the Fourth of July, obviously. Because Tom Cruise is a Scientologist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Which is silly because most anglophones pronounce Ö just fine in words like... word, for instance (of course some gently caress it up with adding an r sound in there but even they produce the Ö just fine before the r sound).

There's already an r sound in word.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

In Predator, Arnold Schwarzenegger's character goes by Dutch

but his real name is Alan Schaefer.

It's canon that he's never paid for a woman's meal on a date.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Ah, the ol' g8se.cx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

I refuse to believe this is real.