Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I've long known what the expression "hindsight is 20/20" means, but I recently finally connected it to the actual Visual Acuity values 20/20 as used in optics and poo poo. I have awful eyes and know some stuff about glasses because I've worn them since I was seven and was at least aware that 20/20 is considered good eyesight in one of the VA systems, but I somehow hadn't connected these two things.

In my defence, English isn't my first language and we use a different system here in Finland (LogMAR)

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Sep 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Parrotine posted:

I just thought it was a really good forum

lol

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Ema Nymton posted:

SomethingAwful still rules, yesssss!!!

lmao

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

I wonder if he's related to Sami Hedberg.

http://i.imgur.com/UauEQ7j.mp4

Probably not, Mitch was a comedian.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Memento posted:

Did Fate of Atlantis have voice acting or have I populated my own memories of it with spoken version of the lines I read?

It did! Man I need to replay FoA again. It's good poo poo.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Silence you heathen Finn.

Your country isn't even real. :argh:

If this confuses you, let me tell you about the Japanese language which is basically entirely based on understanding the context of what's being said because you can leave out like 90% of a sentence

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Edit: wow how did I post here bye

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Imagine being the sort of person that gets mad that someone doesn’t know regional/internet slang, instead of just… explaining the word

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

for fucks sake posted:

Finnish: yhdeksänkymmentäseitsemän
(no idea how it's composed, any Finns want to break it down?)

Yhdeksänkymmentä = 90 (yhdeksän = 9, kymmentä = 10)
Seitsemän = 7

Finnish numbers are p simple

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Danish number system is absolutely bonkers but has to do with the fact that it’s derived partly from a base-20 system instead of base-10, like most sane number systems. The weird cases in French are also derived from historical base-20 poo poo which used to be more common in Europe several centuries ago.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

One of the best things about my studies to become an elementary school teacher was how we started the math didactics course. Elementary school teachers will eventually end up teaching numbers and the base-10 system to some first-graders anyway.

Well, base-10 is practically automatic for you and me. How do we get into the mindset of a tiny child just learning how numbers work? Well, we started by learning how to do basic calculations in binary and base-5. That really made us think about how base-10 might seem like to someone learning it for the first time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dip Viscous posted:

Koi-Koi is super fun btw.

I learned how to play Koi Koi through the Yakuza games and now I own several Hanafuda decks. God dangit

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

My maybe 15-year old, very much used and worn out library card pretty much just disintegrated when I was taking it out of my wallet one time. Normally you need to pay something like 8€ for a new library card in Helsinki but the librarian took one look at the remains of my card and went ”…yeah we really only give the first library card out for free but I think you don’t need to pay for this one”

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hirayuki posted:

Clearly you're one of their best patrons! (Or you just wound up with one of their worst cards.)

I did use the hell out of that card, yeah. Fifteen years for a flimsy piece of plastic is pretty OK, I’d say!

Brawnfire posted:

...are there grades of library card? Am I missing out on high-level Platinum Patron Perks? I know I'm not necessarily using my library to its utmost potential, but I figured that was on me, not because I was locked out of a higher tier.

The platinum library card gets you access to the mythical Titty Magazines section. It’s true I heard Tommy over in class 3B said his brother totally saw it once

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: also there used to be a ice cream called nogger here, named thus because it contains nougat

Still very much available in Germany!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

Today I just realized Cologne Cathedral was built in 1983!

Thought it was way older!

Either I’m missing a joke here or you’ve read some wack poo poo but the construction of the huge rear end Kölner Dom was originally started in the 1200s, halted in the 1500s and resumed again in the 1800s, needing a total of nearly 400 years of work to complete, plus various renovations etc. in the last few centuries since

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I got an M in overly long D Latin in 1997 :smugmrgw:

e: So few people were still doing Latin in 1997, that when they curved it, you'd only have to have had four points deducted for an E (literally only one person got an L that year). So the M was pretty dang good, comparatively. In the 80s it would've been an L easily.

My dear fellow Finnposter no one outside Finland understands what any of our grades mean

(I got an E in Latin) (edit: in, uh, 2008)

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 12:11 on Mar 2, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

I don't understand why anyone would ever use letters instead of numbers for grading.

You get a solid Q for this post.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’m teaching elementary school in Germany right now and for some bastard hell reason they do grades 6 to 1, with 1 being the best. At least in Berlin. Imagine how hosed up (or German) you have to be to do that. Clearly 6 should be the best, it’s the Most Number???

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Grassy Knowles posted:

But A is the least letter?

Exactly, stop using letter grades!!!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The ”joke” here is that different countries have different grading systems and that’s OK.

Except for Denmark, which, once again, has totally hosed up everything and somehow their grades range from -3 to 12. Get a grip, Danes

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Here’s my understanding of the American grades:
S - Slammin’
A - Amazin’
B - Bitchin’
C - :coal:
D - drat
F - Farrtt

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Creature posted:

My wife went to school in Finland. Grades in primary (elementary?) school were from 4-10. 10 being the best.

Apparently 1-3 don’t exist.

The grading system did in fact have the grades 1-3 a long time ago. However, a 4 already basically meant ”failed” in that system so they eventually just got rid of the unnecessary grades.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Just on a lark I checked out my finished university courses on THE PORTAL (one authentication gets you logged in on about 100% of "official" Finnish websites) and whereas they used to be worth study weeks and graded 1-3, they're now worth study points, and graded 1-5?!?!? How did they translate from 1-3 to 1-5 - probably some algorithm :barf:

e: I never graduated.

Haha, u old

a cyborg mug has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Mar 2, 2023

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Last week-end I was talking about how hosed up it was that [something, I don't remember what] was so expensive and started saying "I mean it costs [some hundred]" and everyone else shouted "DON'T SAY MARKS".

I don’t know why those mummonmarkka prices are burned into my/our collective memory so stubbornly. I was a preteen when we got the glorious €uro and have forgotten so much of the actually meaningful stuff. Would love to remember cool poo poo like what I did with people who are now fuckin dead, for instance.

Also, old phone numbers. Why the gently caress does my brain absolutely insist on hanging onto every digit of my childhood home’s landline number, a piece of information I will literally never need again in any situation?

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Get a head of cabbage, costs nothing, lasts forever, much more tasty & satisfying to eat than lettuce

Plus it’s fun to peel and tear off those layers

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Dunno what versions you’ve been reading since they’re most certainly Dupont and Dupond in the Finnish translations

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Why would you lie on the internet :confused:

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

credburn posted:

I've never used LOL in chat because I grew up with it meaning Lots Of Love and that's never what I'm trying to convey.

edit: by "grew up" I guess I mean "until I was 13 and started chatting with creeps online"

Certainly makes a lot of internet discussions funnier when you read LOL as Lots of Love

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Wasabi the J posted:

Also if you can read Hebrew you can allegedly read katakana with little effort.

This is about as true as the story where Jesus escaped to a small town in Aomori in Japan and was buried there while his surprisingly Japanese brother Isukiri was the one nailed to the cross

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

dude what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Honk shoo honk shoo" is just a hosed-up way English people want to represent the "krooh pyyh krooh pyyh" of a person snoring while asleep.

I’ve got some real bad news about onomatopoeia in diff languages for you