Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kazil posted:

The Last Crusade is better than Raiders though.

Just watched it again to confirm my initial take that this is horseshit: I was right. Raiders is so much better it’s not true. Better villains, better love interest, better music, better action set pieces and the Ark, front and centre with it’s spooky theme and sense of otherworldly power vs a cup of Alka Seltzer that appears in the last five minutes of the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nazi chick way hotter sorry

Hotter, but a worse actress, zero snappy dialogue and no agency.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Besesoth posted:

Counterpoint: in Last Crusade, Indy's moved on to banging college students instead of 15-year-olds.

Uh he only bangs nazi Grace Kelly in Crusade.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It makes sense if you think of the poster as a 16 year old Japanese kid from a small seaside town.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
aaaaaaaand we’re back.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As Don says in Mad Men, advertising consists mostly of telling people that whatever they’re doing is ok. No need to worry. Everything is fine. This kind of advertising works on everyone, because it’s just reinforcing stuff you already believed anyway.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t want to spoil it but no matter how many you already know, there are a million common fruits and veggies that grow way different from how you assumed.

Peanuts are not even nuts. They’re seeds of a bean. You grow them like beans.

Or ‘groundnuts’.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Also pineapple is always sweeter at the bottom.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It ripens from the base up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Ken lee, tu libi dibi douchu.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

bell jar posted:

To eat metal butter, duh

Metal Butter Solid.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Using the symbol of the Greek god of commerce to denote a hospital makes perfect sense in the US.

Was going to say, it cannot be an accident.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

sassassin posted:

Where I'm from spitting on people doesn't happen even among children.

You're all loving disgusting.

On people, what?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Silver Falcon posted:

Well today I just figured out I'm "culturally isolated," according to that article. I know the song; my little brother was big into Eminem back in the '00s, but I was completely unaware of the wider meaning until now. I've never seen that word used that way. :psyduck:

I’ve only paid attention to it’s use recently, having seen it pop up very often in the last six months or so. I am not culturally isolated, nor do I believe this is a youth thing, since the current crop of teenagers weren’t even born when it came out. Middle aged people must have more sway than I thought?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

burial posted:

“Gimme vat back, you feef!” is an intelligible way for it to sound even if you yourself don’t say it that way.

Ahh, the sound of Romford on a Saturday night.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MariusLecter posted:

An(without) Aer(air) Obic(living).

Anne Aerobics. An Aerobics class, run by a lady called Anne.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Memento posted:

Battery by Metallica

Which correctly popped up in the recent ‘songs that don’t quite live up to their amazing intros’ thread.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

:crossarms:

and the intro is the best bit!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jerry Cotton posted:

So why exactly is that significant :confused:

It’s not, he’s just ascribing meaning to a vague philological misunderstanding.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hyperlynx posted:

Your balls have their own feet?! :stonk:

Like a penguin keeping its egg warm.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I didn't believe for a minute that that wasn't photoshopped in so I looked it up and welp

There must be a lot of cool poo poo dating from way back if they were doing that then.

There’s a swirly pattern table with a reflective tube that stands in the middle that shows the face of the king (Charles II?) in the surface. Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Beachcomber posted:

It was awhile ago, but one time it occured to me that I hated "the boys" and everything they stood for.

Agreed, but “The boys, an outmoded symbol of masculine bonding and herd mentality who all need two in the back of the loving head to prevent the further degradation if the gene pool, are back in town” is a lot less catchy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hardcordion posted:

I've never thought about it before but I guess leng, wid, and dep are derived from long, wide and deep, huh?

Related, my father in law uses ‘heighth’ but I can never tell if he’s joking.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kwizinart. His friend was probably pronouncing it so it actually sounds French (something like ‘cooi-seen-ar’).

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

packetmantis posted:

What is salt toothpaste?

I seem to recall that people used rock salt as toothpaste before there was toothpaste.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Kissing your close relatives hello or goodbye on the mouth used to be really common. A peck only, but still.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

beanieson posted:

This is neat, thank you

Seconded, thanks.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t think extending February so it lasts 60 days is the way to go about getting through it quicker.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Just when you thought you were out (of February), they pull you back in!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

gschmidl posted:

Can we please have this back?

Yes except not loving priests.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That one of the corrupt rich guys in the restaurant scene in ‘Training Day’ was also the corrupt cop in ‘Scarface’. Harris Yulin.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Henchman of Santa posted:

You’re either being pedantic (:ironicat:) and limiting it to the first movie/Isla Nublar or you have not seen the masterpiece that is Jurassic Park III.

I’d forgotten how bad it was, but this week’s Pitch Meeting reminded me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I gotta say, it’s a game changer

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Aphrodite posted:

Also since we're on the subject, blue raspberry exists because they used to color raspberry flavored things with Amaranth (not the Twitch streamer) which got linked to cancer in the late 60s and was eventually banned.

There must be more than one kind, because I’ve had red amaranth as a micro salad, and Wikipedia says people have eaten it for thousands of years and doesn’t mention anything about ill effects.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Amaranth the dye is named for the plant since it’s the same color, it didn’t come from the plant.

Ah ha, thanks.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Shibawanko posted:

i thought the wu tang clan was a serious martial arts group from china

ii pictured ghostface killa as a guy in a kung fu suit with scary ghost makeup. i thought old dirty bastard was like a sort of sexually perverted pensioner who hung out with them for comic relief

If it makes you feel better, they’d probably love this.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Henchman of Santa posted:

I thought it was just nonsense “fa-fa-fa.” The “better” is the start of the next sentence (“Better run run run”)

Bingo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Pretend I posted 95% of AC/DC’s output here.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Phlegmish posted:

I think he means that it all sounds the same

I was being a little facetious, yep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Dark Side is very well made, at least.