Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
It's a delicate balance. It's an RPG so you want some level of making choices without being able to exactly know all the later consequences, just based on what your character knows.
How do you guys feel about Witcher 2 locking off an entire side of a chapter behind a choice? I personally loved it and the fact that you only get the bits of the overall story relevant to your path each time.
Wasn't FO4 modded because you couldn't even see the immediate consequences (i.e. no idea what your character will say beforehand)? Kind of reminds me of the very first dialog choice in Witcher 2 being "gently caress you" if you pick the dialog option saying "very funny".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
RPGs shouldn't have voiced main characters, that way you can circumvent the whole "we don't wanna write down the whole dialog option and just have a guy read it out again" issue.

chaosapiant posted:

One of my favorite things about the first Witcher game is how your actions will affect quests later down the road, possibly resulting in people dying or quests being closed off, without you knowing in advance what those repercussions might be. I wish more games did this.

Have you played Alpha Protocol? That probably has my favorite chocies & consequences in a game.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Gwent is really more of a collection game than an actual card game with strategies and deck building and stuff.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's Iorveth. Hanging around genocidal paramilitarists is bad and getting the Temerian equivalent of a deaths head tattoo is worse.

You’re pathetic, with your little stolen sacks of seeds on pack horses, with your handful of grain, that tiny crumb thanks to which you plan to survive. And with that mission of yours which is supposed to turn your thoughts from imminent annihilation. Because you know this is the end. Nothing will sprout or yield crops on the plateaux, nothing will save you now. But you live long, and you will live very long in arrogant isolation, fewer and fewer of you, growing weaker and weaker, more and more bitter. And you know what’ll happen then, Filavandrel. You know that desperate young men with the eyes of hundred-year-old men and withered, barren and sick girls like Toruviel will lead those who can still hold a sword and bow in their hands, down into the valleys. You’ll come down into the blossoming valleys to meet death, wanting to die honourably, in battle, and not in sick beds of misery, where anaemia, tuberculosis and scurvy will send you. Then, long-living Aen Seidhe, you’ll remember me. You’ll remember that I pitied you. And you’ll understand that I was right.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

I love that moment when Geralt puts lovely arrogant elves in their place. The quoted passage and "Dear Friend" bits are some of my favorite writing from the books.

My favorite part of the dialog in all the books is the constant sarcasm.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

etalian posted:

Geralt/Dandelion roasting smug elves is the best part of the books.

And the very next scene Dandelion is all “zomg Geralt that was totes worth it so I could get this fine rear end Lute!”

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
http://gwent-cards.com/

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Smol posted:

except for the first two books.

Huh?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The two short story collections are mostly unconnected and a lot of the stories between the two volumes take place at intertwining moments. Some Sword of Destiny Stories take place before Last Wish stories.

I still think the way most people read it (Last Wish first) is better because Sword of Destiny has a lot of Yen and Ciri stuff whereas Last Wish's stories are more unconnected.

Smol posted:

I guess I should have said original publication order. Sword of Destiny was published a year before The Last Wish, even though most people would recommend reading The Last Wish first. When it comes to translated editions, this was usually reversed.

I didn't know that. Then why is The Witcher (the very first short story he ever wrote about it IIRC) in Last Wish? :confused:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Witcher 1 is loving amazing, play it

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jinnigan posted:

is there a combat mod that turns it into dark souls instead of this spinny poo poo. i have no idea how i made it through the game the first time. just had a fight where i got surrounded by 4 dudes. i try to jump back from one and then attack forward again. (no camera movement) but after i jump back and click forward-attack, i'm now attacking the person behind me. this ends up with me getting dogpiled and dying. dumb as hell targetting system.

anyways i don't want a combat rework or game rehaul or anything. just something that doesn't have me spinning wildly any which way because i dared to dodge away from one enemy, incidentally in the direction of another.

e: well. search and you will find, probably: https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2719
let's see how well this works

Just hold W while looking at the dude

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm surprised I didn't recognize Tailles in Blood and Wine when you compete as Ravix of Fourhorn. He had a Toussaint accent so I forgot that he was also in Witcher 2 at La Valette Castle and I thought he was someone else.

He's the guy Geralt punched in Voice of Reason and then again in W2?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cactus posted:

It's well written even by todays standards (which with a few exceptions still isn't that high a bar, unfortunately)

"Even" today and "still"? Has the average videogame's writing improved in the last years?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Jimbot posted:

for your deck of nothing but heroes, damage boosts

:thunk:

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

I think people here tend to view it with rose tinted glasses. It was pretty cool when it was released, but it's aged very poorly, and some parts of it were always kind of bad.

Nope, it's a great game still. Replayed it this year.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

I haven't read the books and it wasn't a decision for me either. A little politics tip: if a guy starts telling you that I'm super honest for real going to build a utopia you guys, I just need to start with a liiiiitle backstabbing and murder now, he's not going to build a utopia.

It also helped that old Vernon had just dropped everything to help defend Ciri and didn't ask for a thing while doing it.

But what if the guy is the best character in the 2 or 3 novels and 1 game he appears in

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

poo poo yeah good point, nightmarish dictators are never charismatic, that just wouldn't make sense

He can be the next Radovid for all I care, if the choice is between two characters who are barely in the game and him, I'm gonna pick him so I can keep reading that sweet dialog.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

Witcher 2: I just realized for the first time after 8 or 9 playthroughs; that you can actually visit Iorveth’s lair in the woods outside of Flotsam. I had no idea!

I like the areas in chapter 1 and 2 a billion times more than the giant open world of W3. It's just pretty cool to actually have to go looking for monster nests for example instead of them being 50 copypasted encounters on the map.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Oh dear me posted:

Ugh. What drives me mad about W1 and W2 is the 'corridor world', the way the 'exploration' is 90% working out how to get to your destination along meandering corridors fenced in by somehow impenetrable weeds. I love just being able to decide I want to go north, and do it, the way you mostly can in Velen.

(Yes, I hate Skellige as well, but at least mountains are a more plausible excuse.)

Yeah I hate exploring a forest, I just want to have meandering hills as far as the eye can see so I can ride in a straight line towards the next bandit camp.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tom Tucker posted:

I've been using a pure combat build for a while and thought I'd shake things up. I'm level 23 and taking my time with the main quest so I've turned on enemy upscaling on the second-to-hardest difficulty. I'm thinking of trying out a signs / combat or alchemy / combat build, any recommendations?

Every build you make should have a /alchemy in it. There's no reason ever not to have synergy. As for signs, just go with Igni to set them on fire and then Igni flamethrower while they're already on fire.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there a mod that makes all the ! side quest givers appear on the world map without having to find them on your own first? I want to make sure i don’t miss any on my second play through and I’m paranoid that there’s a few I’m missing because i take the wrong turn at a crossroads or something.

I know there’s a mod that makes all the quest objectives visible at once but I don’t want that, i want to be able to see all the quest givers.

How many of those are there even? Off the top of my head, I would've guessed like 95% of side quests are activated through a notice board.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

10 Beers posted:

I've got one Gwent card on Skellige left that can't be won from anyone. I swear I've checked every merchant.

http://gwent-cards.com/

Also lol @ using anything but spy spam.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

itry posted:

Archgriffin decoction allows you to take on 💀💀 monsters quite easily. Assuming you can dodge well.

It's also pretty much required to beat the last few main story bosses and stuff like gargoyles and golems as a sign build.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

i've never need fleet footed for that. if you're side stepping you have a million invincibility frames anyway

I'm pretty sure you do not technically have iframes if you don't have fleet footed.

Joey Freshwater posted:

loving hell Roach is so god drat frustrating to ride sometimes

To this day I'm not sure whether the "just stand in the way of your opponent" technique for winning races was intended or not.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

aard sets you up for instant kills pretty consistently which can be nice. and if you have maxed aoe aard (no penalty) and the piercing cold mutation, you can just spam it over and over until everything around you shatters

Or you can set them on fire and watch them burn without doing anything more.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Aard works for knocking flying monsters out of the air. Also Frozen Aard is the best sign skill in the game.

Uh doesn't Igni do that too.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

a fatguy baldspot posted:

siggy reuben is cool and you should definitely feel bad about killing him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Look Sir Droids posted:

What's the order to read them in again?

Last Wish collection, Sword of Destiny collection, novels in release order.