Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

LORD OF BUTT posted:

The OVA dub is honestly really, really loving good, and I kinda wish they'd try to get some of the old actors back like the Berserk movies did. OVA dub Dio is loving magnificent.

e: Hahahah holy poo poo, OVA dub Dio works for Telltale Games now (he was Grendel in Wolf Among Us), he's also a beatboxer/DJ named Kid Beyond

I agree but every week i get comments like this in my YouTube inbox on a video that uses the OVA dub.

quote:

everyone cares about what language it's in you unappreciative culturally deprived tasteless swine. The english voice acting is loving atrocious. How dare you even put yare yare daze in your description when you're using the english ova?
Get out of my sight before i punch you one thousand times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just hope this week's episode ends just after Dio takes his blood. That way we can have a week of "See we told you he's really dead!" before the reveal.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Is there a complete collection of these? A lot of the scans don't translate the sleeves. The ones about him having a swimsuit girl calendar and how master craftsmen have soft hands are so weird that i want to read the rest.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I've been wondering since I first read this part: Why do the knives stop seconds away from Jotaro? I mean time is stopped, but they traveled half the distance.

Because once they are released they aren't able to move in frozen time like Dio so get frozen. But actually because it's cooler.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Shukaro posted:

For those who are curious, here's the OVA's take on the DIO fight (the dub). About 14:10 is the point where this episode ended on, so of course don't watch after that if you don't want spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHbFMaMoA1A

I rewatched this for the first time in a while and i have to say i prefer how they handle the Polnareff part as well as how Jotaro and Super Dio actually have a pretty decent fight across the city rather than just 1 time stop then bridge scene.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Silentman0 posted:

Hey, I just wanted to jump into this thread quickly to ask a question without getting any spoilers past part 5.

Did Araki forget to make Josuke be able to time travel? I've never seen a story writer forget his own foreshadowing before.

Yeah. I heard that he was going to be sent back in time by Bites The Dust but couldn't think of a good way for him to get back, but that might have just been speculation.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The only part i didn't like from Part 4 was the invisible baby. It was both pointless and not very fun, from what i remember they just found the baby then got it some diapers and that was it. If they did more with it it wasn't very memorable. Superfly was cool because having a radio tower with the special ability of not letting the last person leave is funny.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How about "It's animated better"?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

How long he can use its ability.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Jeek posted:

My desire to start a second Duwang grows stronger every time I see such a comment.

It's not Duwang it's just poo poo. There's no funny lines it's just soulless words. I nearly quit reading it after White Album which was 5 chapters of "Ahh he is freezing everything! It's cold and frozen! The ice is coming inside!"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Xibanya posted:

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate it. I'm still a newcomer to JJBA and I'm reading the Viz editions of the manga, which means I haven't looked much at part 4 on. If anyone knows of good examples from any part of the series of unusual panel sizes and layouts, particularly insane poses, gruesome fights, or anything else that might be a good example of Jojo's intensity, let me know.

Towards the end of part 5 there's a fight against a stand called Green Day that causes mold to grow on people and quickly decompose them if they aren't continually gaining altitude. There's a lot of people falling over and having their limbs start to decompose and random civilians running away as they get disintegrated. It goes on for about 8 chapters and ends with 7 full page panels of GioGio's stand muda muda mudaing the villain.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bad Seafood posted:

Nothing quite like watching a dude watching an entire episode of an anime without sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab1_AIs_Llc

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
The baby didn't really go anywhere and wasn't that interesting because it was a baby and didn't really have a personality. They didn't really go anywhere with it so in retrospect i don't think it was worth including. The alien guy i was just annoyed by because he was just acting weird for the sake of it for a few chapters. I didn't realise the rohan gambling thing was part of the same arc, i liked that. I mainly meant the chapters where they just ask him what his deal is and he acts weird for attention. The other part that i thought was entirely forgettable was the paper guy, but since he was so forgettable i forgot about him.

Those are just the parts i remember feeling bored by and thinking that he needs to start wrapping it up. It's very minor compared to the large parts of Stardust Crusaders that were entirely forgettable.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Part 5 is the worst by far. It has a lot of the same problems as part 3, i had to force myself to keep reading it around the time it got to the ice guy. Several chapters of them saying "Oh no the ice is coming in the car!" over and over was terrible. However i understand that the translation is pretty terrible so maybe they are saying interesting things in the original. I'm not willing to write it completely off because of that. I skipped part 6 completely after my bad experience with part 5 so can't comment on that. Part 7 was good pretty much throughout. Interesting characters, creative stands and the race stages help break the journey up into manageable chunks with milestones. Part 8 i like what i've read, but i stopped around the part where they go to the cafe because i couldn't handle the monthly release schedule. I'm saving the rest until it's finished so i can read it all in one go.

Another problem i have with the series that i didn't want to mention in the other thread is how the final villains all get a power boost that doesn't really fit either narratively or thematically. Like why does Kira gain the ability to reset time? In my head i like to think that it's a pun on the phrase "time bomb" but it's not explicitly stated and i'm not sure if japanese uses that phrase and it being intended or a happy coincidence.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like the parts that are interesting. As i said in the other thread i think J Geil is the standout villain of the week fight in Stardust Crusaders because the villain has characterization and a history with Polnaroff so we have reason to care about him, he has an interesting stand ability that leads to interesting situations like them trying to avoid reflections (and it's a really cool concept in general and lends itself to some really cool and intense situations like when you see it creeping up on characters in the reflection), and he is defeated in an interesting way in that he's forced into a corner and defeated rather than the protagonists just deciding they are bored and it's time to beat him.

A bad fight in comparison would be Wheel of Fortune. The stand user is a non-character, his ability is boring and he is just defeated because Araki is bored of him so just puts Jotaro in range to punch him. He's entirely forgettable and you wouldn't notice if you accidentally skipped his episode.

I'd have to think about it after looking at a list of arcs to give you a definitive list, but off the top of my head i disliked Tower of Grey and Dark Blue Moon because they had forgettable users, abilities and they were defeated in boring ways. I liked Strength and The Devil well enough because they were a bit more interesting, and The Devil is defeated because he was outsmarted rather than Polnaroff just deciding to arbitrarily land a hit and end it. Hol Horse and J Geil are both good because they have character and it's an interesting fight. Everything after that is pretty forgettable until D'Arby, except Oingo and Boingo are fun enough for comic relief. D'Arby and onwards are all pretty good because they all have something interesting about them, be that Terence because it's just so ridiculous or Vanilla Ice for having some great art and actual consequence to the fight. Dio is really like for the art, creative use of his ability and for Dio being such a great character. I like that Dio is defeated by hubris but i think Jotaro gaining the ability to stop time could be explained better to make it less of an rear end pull, and i liked the way the OVA depicted Dio realising he couldn't move better than the manga.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Johnny Joestar posted:

also the baby part in DiU is basically entirely about characterizing old joseph and having him connect with his son and part 6 is entirely separate from part 5 along with having good translations, so i'm not sure why someone would skip that specifically yet read the bits afterwards.

I skipped it because i was so disgusted by Gio beating Diavolo by Gold Experience Requiem getting a god mode that i felt the series had jumped the shark. I knew ahead of time that 7 was a universe reset so thought part 6 could only get worse from that point and Araki felt the same way which lead to him having the universe reset to reign it back in. The way the series was pitched to me that got me started reading it was that the characters had strange powers and used them in creative ways, and the heroes won by outsmarting the villains rather than just overpowering them. I was fine with Joseph's rear end pulls like the grenade scarf trick because it was used in a comic way. Resolving the final battle against a psychopathic mob boss in you 150 chapter battle manga with "and then the hero powered up and gained god powers" is just lazy writing.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Gotta say this avatar someone bought me is a lot less interesting than the last one. You could have at least put a Bruno tasting Giorno or something.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Amaryllis posted:

I'm sort of with you about a lot of the pre-Egypt fights, though I think the real problem is not that the villains are bad, but that the anime version has terrible pacing for some of those fights (The Sun is the worst offender, as I think people have noted either here or in the other thread). There's something of value in every arc of Part 3, whether it's a character beat, a rad action sequence, or just a funny gag, but it suffers a little when you're forced to take 25-ish minutes to work through each fight instead of speeding up or slowing down at your own pace.

Fake edit: Part 5 has a weak ending if you're looking for an actual fight and not just a race for a fight-ending magical item, but the first few volumes are so good and everything through at least The Grateful Dead is top-tier Jojo and I love it.

I read the whole manga because i could get through it pretty quickly and i could appreciate the art. I stopped watching the anime after Wheel of Fortune because the direction and editing was so uninspiring and the source material for a lot of it wasn't that great so i didn't see a reason to continue watching. I started watching DiU just out of morbid curiosity at how badly they'd butcher it, but i'm amazed at how much better it is and i can't wait to see more. The animation looked a bit off in the previews but it's completely solid in the actual episodes and the pacing/direction/editing is leagues ahead of SC. Also i think the art style fits animation a lot better than the art style of SC. I think they did a really bad job of translating the SC art style to animation. Jotaro especially looks so awkward and mechanical. It's just not nice to look at.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
For people up to date on Jojolion, without spoiling it is there any indication of how much longer it's going to run for?

Dastardly posted:

Finished part 7 today and I feel bummed out. I don't want to start reading part 8 since it's not done yet. Especially not since it's monthly.
Also a bummer that 7 is so good it diminishes my excitement for seeing part 5 and 6 animated and I just want them to skip straight to SBR.

People in this thread do not approve of skipping parts, be wary.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Did the anime thread get deleted? What happened?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Then it's the MAGIC 39

but they supposedly said that nothing is being cut and the pacing is similar to SDC, so 39 isn't close to enough for DiU

I really loving hope they don't go back to SC pacing. Last episode was great with how little time was wasted. If they had strung it out over two episodes it wouldn't have been nearly as good. My favorite part of the episode was when they were waiting for Angelo to strike. I can't remember exactly how it was in the manga but you really got a sense that they had been waiting and nothing much was happening, and you were caught off guard by the realisation that he was making his move. All in the space of 10 seconds or so. That and the two scene transitions that skipped forward in time without you immediately realising. It was just a little thing but it really stood out to me how efficient they were being.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Josuke and Okuyasu loving poo poo up is always good, of course

It didn't register until now that there is going to be an episode on Superfly and Stray Cat. I can't wait to see the reactions to that.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I like the Yukako arc because i like the way her hair is drawn and the beginning of it is funny. Enigma Boy is so forgettable i can't remember what happened. The baby was a waste of time.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Moltrey posted:

I agree, a newly met father and song saving an invisible baby and the son realizing his father is remorseful and fallible too and them coming to understand each other better as family was a pointless waste of time.

And then Araki forgets to resolve it so it doesn't go anywhere and in retrospect should be dropped.

That's a pretty big problem with the series as a whole. He keeps changing his mind about what he wants to do but because it's serialised he can't go back and edit it to tidy it up. So you have completely dropped plot points like the baby pr the guy who rescued him as a kid in the storm.

It would really benefit from being iterated on but that's hard to do when it's already been published.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't think you fundamentally understand human interaction if you don't think it was resolved.

Where were the baby's parents?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

CJ: You don't like JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

That's fine.

Stop posting here.

Contrary to what you might believe, it's possible to enjoy media while also being critical of its flaws. This thread is for discussing Jojo, not a hug box where you can do nothing but praise every single detail. Just because you like a thing doesn't mean i'm attacking you personally for saying i don't like a small part of it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

multijoe posted:

That's all well and good, but you're still a loving moron who hasn't expressed a single coherent point to date

I don't really see what's incoherent about "A lot of the villains of the week in part 3 lacked character, had boring resolutions and were kind of forgettable" and "the baby plot point didn't come to a resolution and was sort of forgotten about apart from a footnote at the end" but ok. As for the flashback thing, the guy who saved them looked like he had been fighting and his chest and face (the two identifying features for josuke besides his hair) were obscured in shadow. It's suspicious as gently caress and a bit of a chekov's gun, so it not going anywhere is kind of weird.

no they will not posted:

Ya I always thought cheap trick was an independent stand like superfly

I need to reread the chapter but the impression i got from it is that the original user had passed it on at some point and it had been jumping between people until Rohan came across it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

BaDandy posted:

The baby's dad is Joseph now and that's really all that matters to the story. :v:

I guess, but some poor lady lost her baby in a park and then the Joestars just decided to keep it. If they had found out the baby was abandoned by its mother and they adopt it then fine but they just fish it out a pond then keep it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Bad Seafood posted:

It didn't need to go anywhere.

The point of the flashback was it didn't matter what "Kind" of person he was, or how he'd chosen to live his life. Maybe he was a model student who got beat up. Maybe he was the one doing the beating up. Maybe he was a great guy or maybe he wasn't. His hair and clothes suggest he was probably a little rough and tumble, not someone "Respectable" by society's standards. Either way, he saw someone in need and he helped them. Josuke's earliest, most formative memory is being saved by the selflessness of a complete stranger. Subsequently, he grows up to be the kind of guy to pay things forward and helps people, and wears his hair in the same style as his hero. This goes without saying, but that nameless, faceless stranger was likely the closest thing Josuke had to a male role model in his life - there's his grandfather, sure, but I seriously doubt Josuke looked up to him in the same way he would a father figure (substitute).

It doesn't matter who that guy was because he could've been anybody. What matters is Josuke learned at a very young age the importance of selflessness and helping those around you.

Ok, but don't depict it in a way that makes it look like a setup for a payoff in a story that ends with a villain who can send people back in time.

Drawing it so his face is always in shadow with little detail and this panel where there is a heart shaped shadow obscuring his chest is just setting people up to be disappointed, or at least confusion due to a fridge moment when reflecting on it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Anyone really bored and want to take a guess at how the episodes will be divided up? I would do it myself but i kind of don't want to reread it while the anime is ongoing so i'm surprised by some of the stuff i forgot about.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

My least favourite fight is probably Alessi. It's memorable, but it's just kinda dull.

I wish it went the same way the old JoJos fighting game went, where Alessi uses Sethan on Joseph...and it turns him into Pt2 Hamon master Joseph.

A lot of the fights in Stardust Crusaders are resolved in pretty boring ways which amount to "Jotaro is just so cool that he beats them anyway". Having Joseph show up and being sort of immune to Alessi's powers and therefore able to defeat him is way more clever than baby Jotaro punching him out.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

no they will not posted:

this better not have been a veiled criticism of daniel j d'arby or else yours truly is about to get care mad on line

I wasn't going to bring it up since i know some people will throw a tantrum, but yes. D'arby was beaten because the MC was just so cool he went crazy. There was nothing clever or interesting about it despite the setup being great. Terence on the other hand was great all the way through though, because it subverts both Terence and the viewer's expectations of Jotaro being cool enough to do anything so you don't consider it being Joseph. It's a running theme through a lot of Araki's writing. He's great at coming up with crazy unique premises but often has trouble following through to resolve them in a satisfying way which isn't a complete rear end pull or main character plot armour. Thankfully he gets better at it as time goes on.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
After watching this week's anime episode, how does Keicho get into Angelo's cell? You'd think Araki would give him a stand that lets him fit through bars or open holes in walls or something.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Condiv posted:

his stand is tiny little men, how do you think he snuck in? could've jacked a key from a guard, could have had the little men crawl into the lock and gently caress with it till it's open, etc.

He walks past the window then teleports inside. I guess you could say it's open to interpretation in the manga. Might just be another case of David Production taking the manga panels too literally as a storyboard rather than thinking about what it's conveying and adapting it into an animation, like the plant pots.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I think it works fine in the manga. Angelo looks towards the door then looks back and Keicho is standing next to his bed. It's open to speculation about how he got into the cell. Was it his stand? Was he hiding in the shadows? In contrast, the anime shows him outside the cell walking past the window, then he just apparates in the cell in the middle of a shot. To get the same effect as the manga, they could have had him appear in a cut, that keeps the uncertainty of how he got there without cheating with a massive red herring by making it look like he teleported. I actually went back and read the Bad Company chapters to make sure i wasn't mis-remembering how his stand worked.

The depiction of the flowerpot scene had the same issue. In the manga it sort of works, because time is nubulous in the medium, so even though when you think about it Josuke wouldn't have time to say his line that doesn't really matter. The anime plays it out in real time though, and not only does Josuke have time to say his line but it takes it a step further and has the camera pan back to show the flowerpots still on the wall and take off. It's shown so weirdly that i've seen some anime only people second guess whether they understand how The Hand works. They clearly don't have a problem making changes since they added the whole Okuyasu punching Josuke thing, so i don't know why they didn't move Josuke's line before or after to have the flowerpot sequence all happen in one fluid motion.

And as a disclaimer, just because i take issue with how they translated these two sequences to animation doesn't mean i think this makes the entirety of the episode, Diamond is Unbreakable or JoJo as a whole bad.

EDIT: Oh yeah, one other tiny thing i noticed was the comb transition after Josuke dora'd Angelo. Kind of weird that it was just a disembodied hand and comb doing a wipe, when they could have had it part of the shot and had Josuke comb his hair after. That's probably just a time and budget thing rather than a creative decision though so whatever.

CJ fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 20, 2016

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
This is a good frame.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Hogama posted:

The mobile game Stardust Shooters has an event running alongside the anime with stages named after the episodes. After the end of the month's stage, they show the next month's stage names - this is what's coming.

6. 広瀬康一(エコーズ)
7. 間田敏和(サーフィス)
8. 山岸由花子は恋をする その1
9. 山岸由花子は恋をする その2

6. Koichi Hirose (Echoes)
7. Toshizaku Hazamada (Surface)
8. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 1
9. Yukako Yamagishi is in Love Part 2

(Not really surprising, just a confirmation.)
(Also, sorry for posting that in the anime thread.)

Good. Stringing every fight out to 2 parts in the second half of Stardust Crusaders really dragged the show down. Glad to see David has learnt from it.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Baal posted:

Skip Part 6

:agreed:

It's the only part i haven't read.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Part 5 probably.

Adbot