Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

As is not being able to rechamber the SMG into .38, considering you can rechamber the .38 pipe gun into .45

How the hell you're supposed to waste .45 ammo on the SMG I don't know, I need it all for my combat rifle.

you can buy spray n' pray from a wandering merchant which is a smg that does +15 explosive splash damage that comes with a silencer. its loving ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Vargs posted:

90%+ of my deaths so far have been instantaneous annihilation from missiles, fat men, mines, and other explosives. Is there anything out there that heavily reduces incoming explosive damage? Maybe a legendary mod or a specific rank of some perk that I'm overlooking?

there's some armor mods that reduce explosive damage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

jesus, do the dia cache mission for the railroad. it spawns 30 ballistic/energy defense clothes in tinker toms inventory, including military fatigues.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

so apparently the teddy bear head doesn't actually count as head armor.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

I've got shedloads of 5.56 ammo but I don't have the one gun that actually shoot it.

ftfy

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

who is cait? haven't met that one yet

you find her in the combat zone.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Calaveron posted:

You burned a lot of goodwill with that stupid follow the brewing bot to Goodneighbor Fallout 4

you dont actually have to follow it

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

everyone in Bethesda games is marked essential unless you can find a story way to kill them (and there is for one of the people u mentioned)

i straight up killed father when he first appeared.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I've been using a two-shot smg but I may switch to that one, how big is the aoe on the bullets?

pretty big. big enough where if a companion walks 3 feet infront of me when im shooting it i die from the splash damage.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Pwnstar posted:

Two-Shot is a poo poo modifier and I hate it.

two shot is the best modifier though? whats better than straight up double damage on a sniper.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

It kinda fucks you over as far as weapon choice goes. Like, why use other guns with different effects when Overseer's Guardian trumps all of them except for maybe the Gauss Rifle in terms of effectiveness and sheer damage output?

i can agree with this, and i stopped using the overseer's guardian because it was just ridiculous compared to the other guns.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Speedball posted:

If that's the case then I think you like it.

Never actually tried to play around with the Silver Shroud armor before. That poo poo is *tough* and lightweight, I don't know if I can go back to "vault suit with combat armor plates" again.

It can't have ballistic fibre installed if I remember right so it's still worse.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Volkerball posted:

don't you only have the perk while that companion is with you?

nope.

its weird going from fallout nv, where companions are killing machines, to fallout 4 where these goddamn assholes will just stand there with their gun out and let a super mutant run past them and smack me upside the head without firing a shot.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

MarshyMcFly posted:

Did you miss the mission where you find the institute was responsible for making the super mutants in the first place?

loving what

Like they created fev?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

radiant quests suck and is the worst thing i can imagine being put into an open world rpg.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Though eventually the powder ganger chain lead to an attack on the prison by the NCR that you can repel on behalf of the powder gangers I believe.

yeah, but before that actually happens you have to go and meet the ncr to see if they're planning it.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Little of column A, little of column B, but I'm one of those people that likes Bethesda open world games especially and liked Fallout 3 much more than Fallout: New Vegas.

as someone who couldn't care less about settlement building, this season pass was basically garbage, especially now with a dlc that i cant even get the full enjoyment of because im not playing an rear end in a top hat. if i had spent $50 on it i would have been pissed.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the western revolver is just the normal .44. the gently caress is this?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

the farm quest for the brotherhood has had me go to the same farm 3 times in a row. the quartermaster really loving hates this guy.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

"There's some nasties living near here, can you take care of them?"

*location all the way across the map marked.*

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

2house2fly posted:

You're playing as a war veteran from a time when part of a soldier's job was to dome Canadian civilians on camera for the news and ship hippies to internment camps to be science experiments. Frankly I'm surprised they don't play a voice clip in the first raider fight of the character going "yeah! hell yeah! Eat poo poo! gently caress! yeah!"

what if your playing the lady lawyer though.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Enigma posted:

I'm working my way through the railroad quests to unlock ballistic weave for my sneak pistol/rifle character. Is there any half decent looking, stealthy clothing in this game? Leather "armor" looks dumb as poo poo by itself, like I stumbled into a department store belt display rack. Add to that the fact that I haven't found anything better than the briliant-blue Vault 111 clothes to go under it, so my "stealth" character looks like a cross between Tobias Fünke's blue man and leather daddy characters. Except, with an army helmet that looks like a camo-green cereal bowl someone dumped on his head.

I have the courser outfit, which looks neat, but can't be worn with armor, and I like my armor mods.

I'm not such a serious player that I need to look like a Tom Clancy protagonist, but I'm kind of tired of looking like Bojangles the Bondage Clown in 3rd-person dialogue scenes.

heavy leather armor actually looks good, and is probably my favorite armor design in the game, barring the marine armor from far harbor.

heavy on the right.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Enigma posted:

That does look a lot better. Almost like the Skyrim leather. When does that show up? I'm in the mid 20s.

honestly couldn't tell you when it starts showing up in the item list. just make sure to check enemies carefully when you loot them. higher level armor will have sturdy/heavy as the first word.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Wolfsheim posted:

Look I don't want this to become some rankings slapfight that never leads anywhe-

Fallout 2
Fallout New Vegas
Fallout
Fallout 4
That app game? Does that count?
Fallout 3
Fallout Tactics
Fallout Brotherhood of Steel

:colbert:

fallout tactics is actually pretty good.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

kill the institute.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

"Hey I'm the father, and all the bad poo poo that you've heard we do and also seen us do actually isn't what were about. Ignore university point where we slaughtered every settler because we thought some tech was there. Also please ignore that time you ran into one of our synths trying to steal some random no names life for no reason. We only want whats best for humanity!"

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

Can you add ballistic weave to the Marine Wetsuit? It matches the helmet in design.

nope

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

i said it before in this thread and ill say it again.

radiant quests are the worsts things to happen to a open world game, and needs to never be in any future games ever.

even if bethesda's writing is generally p. meh, i'd much rather have written quests than "go to x and kill some dudes." but i somehow doubt they'll ever get rid of them and just start putting more and more of them into their games which is a huge bummer.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

And I'll say it again every time it's mentioned, the alternative to those quests in no quest at all, not a hand written, well developed quest. System was developed for a reason, and that reason wasn't laziness.

You are crazy if you think that reason wasn't laziness.

Like the only way to nice it up is by saying that they felt the time going into written quests could be put into things they deemed more important, like the lovely settlement building. Which is not, I assume, what alot of people who play Fallout, or hell, Bethesda games in general get them for.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 22, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

And you're crazy if you don't think that it's because the budget and time on quests was being spent elsewhere (such as the team doing your precious hand written quests which were quite a few in Skyrim, or voice acting in FO4, wisely or not), and it was left to some programmers to develop a system to fill in the gaps, give a potentially limitless, if flat set of content and also get you to explore the world a bit more than you might otherwise have. Again, without that system, you wouldn't have had more hand generated quests, that budget and time is already spent. You would have had nothing, or all the quest content quality would have suffered. Given that people think the quests were already bottom teir, I have no idea if you can imagine worse, but that's where it would have gone.

The Radiant system was already in place since Skyrim, so I have no idea where you are getting the idea that programmers had to completely reinvent the wheel specifically for Fallout 4 radiant quests. And if you are telling me that Bethesda, who have published multiple million sales games, who have had at least 3 years to make this game, couldn't find the time or money to budget for sidequests in their loving open world rpg, because they had to spend that money on VA or settlement stuff than I am calling bullshit. They probably planned from the start to just make the vast majority of quests radiant and call it a day on that department.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Dec 22, 2016

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

I included Skyrim in the thing you quoted. I know how far back radiant goes.

Then why put in the idea that their programmers had to find a way to fill in the lack of quests in Fallout 4 when they already had a solution? Maybe you are right, and Bethesda, one of the biggest publishers out there who only releases games every couple of years, didn't have the time or money to make actual side quests in their open world games, but I find that much harder to believe than them just going, "gently caress it, we already have a automatic quest generator so why bother with actual quests, lets make some settlement assets." right from the start.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

The way the dialogue options are written are intentionally vague. For example, when you first talk about the NCR with Sunny or Easy Pete, it is written like "The NCR?". That's a pretty vague statement which could mean anything from "what is the NCR doing in the area?" to "Who are the NCR? My brain bad bullet not right thinking." The game never explicitly says the courier doesn't know who the NCR is, but the dialogue choices are crafted in order to be interpreted a number of different ways.
It's the great advantage of silent protagonists. You can add any intonation you want.

they actually do it in a even better way than that. the courier goes "What's your take on the NCR."

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

wormil posted:

I've played Skyrim to completion about half a dozen times plus another half a dozen partials. So I like Skyrim. (only mentioned because if I like a game, I play the hell out of it for a long time)

I'm about to buy Fallout 4, which version to get? It's $30 on Steam, $20 on Amazon, they look the same but I want to be sure. I have no plans to play online but I will eventually mod the hell out of it.

amazon will just give you a steam key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

I thought the back story to NV was that NCR scrip used to be the predominant currency, but their war with the brotherhood damaged their economy to the point that people started using the water backed caps again.

less damaged their economy and more brotherhood blew up their gold reserves.

• Locked thread