Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

So I take it that the stability of huge blobs is one of the main issues with the game? My game has The HRE and the Byzantines about where you'd expect them, Fatimids cover most of Saudi Arabia-Egypt, Perm covers half of Russia, the Ilkhanate is huge, Poland has gobbled up half of Scandinavia and most strikingly, Hispania has taken over France entirely, covers the whole Peninsula and is now expanding into Africa. I take I'm not likely to see any breakaways from this? It seems like any revolts are more concerned with gaining the throne or lower crown authority than independence.
Play as top tier liege, do "Event 91000" maybe 2 or 3 times.

garth ferengi posted:

geheimnisnacht is really good

Wait, you can still mark people as characters of special interest????

HOW????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Angela Christine posted:

Grats on winning the thread civil war. All hail new thread!
Pfffft, they just closed the other thread, that's some scrub level "Imprison" cheating.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've heard this a lot, can somebody explain it?
The advantages of Jainism are many; you get to pick your heir, though inheritance laws still need to be followed; if you're gavelkind the other kids also get lands; though once you get primo you can just pick whoever. You get a flat 30+ Opinion bonus from vassals, in addition to which you can pick to either get a religion bonus of an additional 5 or a +1 to health, a stat that is otherwise extremely hard to raise. The health bonus is incredible, because your children will inherit it; meaning they're far more likely to survive to become adults, you're more likely to live longer and less likely to die to diseases.
Furthermore you get a larger demesne limit, +3 (with gavelkind that's +4 before any other bonuses, which is cray) and you also get piety for being at peace I GUESS.

The disadvantages: You lose access to some of the Christian, Muslim and Pagan intrigue options and don't get some of the Indian ones like Tiger Hunt; about the only one you have is finding a Guru, which is only a once in a lifetime thing and you lose access to the hunting focus (so no easy health, no dogs and no easy-spawning lovers to marry to your sons). You have gently caress all CBs; no holy war or any equivalent to that. You have incredibly lovely conversion chances with your religion even outside the Indian continent. And most the special events for the indian religions for some reason won't trigger outside them, so if you're, say, the Mongol Jain Merchant republic of Venice, you get gently caress all events. You have only one holy order, unlike the muslims and christians. Piety is useless and you can never get a religious head or a crusade equivalent.

Mongols are members of the Altaic culture group, which firstly enables them to use the Tribal Invasion CB: For a cost of 500 prestige, they are allowed to invade any non-Pagan independent realm, with all occupied holdings being usurped outright. This means that so long as you control it, you will take over. Of the initial prestige cost, you get back from 200-400 depending on war contributions (if you're alone you get max) plus prestige for battles, so it pays for itself that way. In addition they have a bonus to spreading their culture; I think the Mongol one was like half the time it normally takes which is hella rad. You also have an extremely powerful but expensive retinue; the Horse archer. With lots of these guys, you can force the enemy to only fight in the skirmish phase with your cultural specific tactic, meaning you can take out armies that vastly outnumber you if you get enough retinues; though at the point you reach that currently it's not super important.

So the combination of the two helps shore up the others weakness; your lovely conversion chances (Anecdotal maybe? Y'all tell me) are made up by quicker cultural conversion; the Tribal Invasion is expensive but once you get rolling you don't stop and the usual fragility such a state would endanger is shored over with the massive jain bonuses to rulership. The demerits are relatively small; the hunting focus and low MA if the holy sites get conquered are the only real problems and you can work around them.

Other people had answered but they didn't really go in depth I felt, so I hope this explains comprehensively why the combination is so potent. Tbh, aside from a modified feast, the mongols don't really offer anything the other altaics don't already have, so you can pick any of them, from Avar, Khazar to Bolghar to Turkish or Kirghiz.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

I'm about 95% sure that in order to have the tribal invasion CB without horde culture, you have to be pagan. The only cultures that can have the invasion CB as a Jain are the hordes, Nahua and Mongol, who's restriction is only that they can't be Christian.
OH yea, my bad, confused Horde and Invasion culture for a moment. I also vaguely thought to mention Hungarians but they're also invasion. Alas, poor inferior Altaics, you will still always have your funny names and soon the new DLC~

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

How do you stack a flank with retinues? Any time I merge retinues into a larger force they can spread more or less evenly throughout the army.
Don't have time to open up the game to screencap it, but you can move individual units around by clicking one of the upper right things when selecting units. It's by the "merge units" and "Split unit" buttons somewhere, and then fiddling with stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

kingturnip posted:

Comedy Republic option - a ruler-designed Zoroastrian somewhere in the British Isles.
This always makes me wish I could dictate laws for lesser titles I create easier; I want to be able to tell my dukes to follow tanistry, or primo or whatever. Or just not gavelkind, gently caress.

And to be able to create them with whatever laws I want if I have the qualifications for it.

Because Zoroastrian tanistry is hilarious yo. Finally, a use for all those genius kinswomen...

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Promontory posted:

As Fraticelli Britannia, what would be the best way to take down the Papacy? Claims on somewhere bordering the Vatican and holy warring while Europe is busy?
If you can reach Rome, just do it direct. Hire mercs/retinues first, boat them over and slam them in the moment you declare war and you'll probs make it.

Just make sure you have the 1000 piety to form the fraticelli papacy when you do. After that, you're set.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Promontory posted:

Thanks for the Fraticelli advice. Sadly there's no way to get to Italy in my game: half of it is ruled by the HRE, there's no claims on the Papacy, and nobody from Sicily wants to join my court. I observed the 16-year old king of Sicily get deposed, sent him money and invited him, but nah, he's got no reason to move. :sigh: Shame there's no "challenge the church" casus belli for heretics.
From Britain, you might be able to hit the Canaries, or fabricate on them at least. Like VE said, Fabricate on Rome works, but is random. Hitting Canaries, then Majorca, then Cagliari and then Rome is how I'd usually do it as Norse but I forget how far away the holy war CB can work.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I am buttmad.

Buttmad about commanders.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

What the gently caress, if you are the wrong religion you can't raise mercs?
Religion and culture! Apparently sell-swords feel very deeply not only about distance, but religion and culture as well.

Having lots of mercs and holy orders is just about the only advantage, aside from numbers and pope-gold, to being a Catholic.

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hey groogy can we please get a "ransom all outsiders" button?
One of the fantasy mods I tried had this. On the other hand, also making it more bloody obvious which prisoners are ransomable would work as well. (Barely tinted shades are poo poo)

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, people sure want their rapey-mods over at Pdox forums. :psyduck:
For fucks sake, if y'all mofos are gonna bring up drama, then at least link it. Not everyone can follow all the drama at the Pdox forums and you cant entice us like that and then leave us hanging. :colbert:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Why are all the custom merc companies tiny? Are they supposed to grow or what? Can I give them a boost in some way?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
So the sole actually redeeming quality for Zunists other than their festival, i.e, they don't have to fiddle around with the annoying intrigue interface to get rid of useless prisoners, is gone?

Welp.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Ok, googling isn't working, is there nowhere where I can get a convenient look at the nomad build-tree? Pretty annoying.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

The funny thing about hordes is that it seems like they make most ruler stats irrelevant, or mostly so. Diplomacy I guess is still useful for raising your small vassal limit, but your troops don't scale with martial as they do for feudal realms, nor do you get technology from learning. Intrigue is normal, ish. Stewardship is quasi-useful as a percentage boost to your income, though obviously the demesne limit effect is gone.

I suppose thematically one should focus on martial, but I always feel a bit lost when picking a focus.
Scholarship is actually pretty good, because getting those sweet tech-boosts is pretty important, and the military one has way less downsides with no pope.

Also it improves the likelyhood of the spymaster swaggin' some tech.

Theology is even more completely loving useless though. Intrigue is hella sweet though; why yes, I would like to imprison this clan leader who is causing problems and throw him in the oubliette.

Also:

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Ok, googling isn't working, is there nowhere where I can get a convenient look at the nomad build-tree? Pretty annoying.

Seriously, I guess I could just fire it up with quickbuild and max tech and look but ehh.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 7, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

(rather useful on female rulers, at least until they hit age 45)
Administrator being more baller aside (I don't even ever remember getting that legit) does the fact that men remain attractive pretty much into infirmity but women lose attractive the moment they are less likely to have kids seem just, dumb? People had recreational sex galore, and with older women, back in the day too.

Strudel Man posted:

Oh, yeah! I saw that one, and then promptly forgot about it. That does make it decently useful. One of the few such cross-mechanics present.

It isn't much of a tree, really. Each level of riding contests requires that the same level of horse breeder be built first. Each level of ox wagon requires the same level of cattle pens; meat preserver depends on cattle pens in the same way. Felt crafter depends on sheep, and ger crafter depends on felt crafter. Everything else just depends on tech/location.

So, uh

code:
Horse Breeder	->	Riding Contests

Cattle Pens	->	Ox Wagon
		|->	Meat Preserver

Sheep		->	Felt Crafter	->	Ger Crafter
Aight, though the increasing tech requirements make things more strange to do.

I swear though, I hardly play the game much these days, just set up what I feel are cool scenarios.

Also maxing the tech of the whole world at the start of Charlemagne does some funny things, yanno.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
What are the events for playing in the new east? I feel like nothing special has happened with me playing the Uyghur, no wolf-blood, no schemes or anything other than game stuff.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Huh.

Ohh, it turns out all adventurers get this event now. That's pretty cool.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 14, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
There is a savage sort of joy in throwing a horde in the holdings of the Caliph and selling him his sons and daughters over and over again, while sometimes raising them to be concubines. Especially because it helps destabilize the blob.

Just wish I could do something about Khazaria being a huge pain, they expanded too far to the west and I don't think any rebellions have a tiny chance in hell to escape the yoke.

Being tribal next to the hordes is hell. Like, goddamn, it is hell.

DStecks posted:

Whenever I've seen a Hindu horde, the leader is an adventurer; which leads me to guess that it was probably a son who started a mercenary company, got hired in India, and through that got an event or something to convert to Hinduism.
They can convert to any religion that hires them and apparently also some that don't; there's an event for converting to Judaism for instance.

Also, anyone that hasn't tried being a Horde in a non-horde part of the world should try it. Just use the "set_government nomadic_government CHARID" command and go nuts.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait, so the tribes that are created when you take their last bit of land aren't playable?

:mediocre:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

jfood posted:

With Horse Lords, can sons from any culture be sent off to form a mercenary company or is that just for nomads?

Nomads only; it doesn't seem to want to allow you to snag the merc traditions modifier from other buggers either; it might only work within dynasties.

Is supposed to allow you to keep merc-ing when you settle though.

Edit:
Yea, looks like it's in uhh hl_mercenary_events in the events folder but I'm poo poo at reading through them; looks like there's one for when you're a dad and one for not but bugger me if I can make heads or tails of it.

VVVV

Try the Bolghars, both in the Charlemagne when they tag-teaming with Bulgaria and when they're the only muslims there later on are pretty fun.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 4, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yo Groogy. I used the event for telling your heir war-stories on myself to get the mercenary traditions modifier but I'm still not able to send away my sons as mercs. Asking you since you wrote them.

Also, Nahuatl Nomads do not play well with the game. No graphics for their horses, can't click counties.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Huh should work. What trigger do they fail?
The one that says that the ruler needs to have the Mercenary traditions modifier. Does the kid also need to have it? Is it because I'm a landed basque muslim? I was going to see what would happen when I raised my kid by keeping him endlessly young until I got the event naturally but gf doesn't like me staying on her laptop for too long.

Some folks have no appreciation for the joy of scheming in videogames, really.

Groogy posted:

WAT? How did you manage that?
Console. Then ruler designer. (wanted to make sure it wasn't just my console shenanigans biting me) I wanted to be an invasion culture but mongols are, a bit played out. Also it's a nice goal, trying to get all of the holy sites if you start as Aztec Pagan. I was Ibadi at that point though, so idk.

And yea, quitting and reloading sometimes works but not this time. Could be a laptop issue, I can retry it on my big PC.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Groogy posted:

Might be misinterpret the condition? Or it's just badly formulated. I'll see if I can make it clearer.
Yea, it's sorta unclear what exactly does it; I thought it was just the merc traditions modifier but hmmm. I'll try giving it to my liege, then also educating it naturally on my heir and testing him out.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
OH hey, I just had to trigger the event on my kid themself, not sure if I had do it on myself as well I suppose.

In any case, it's "event HL.10612 [Charid]" for those who wanna make yer own merc bands as any kinda gov.

Edit: Huhhhhhh. Odd. Despite only having around 450ish men and 900 ish men, both bands from my sons cost 219 to hire and almost 16 ducats per month.

Also no family discount?? Goddamn.

Edit 2: Wait, this one has 530 troops, mostly heavy infantry, but he costs 245 and a monthly 17,39

that cant be right, surely?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Oct 8, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Tanistry can pick infants? Holy smokes, I thought it was adult/landed only...

Edit:

Also I find it highly poo poo how keen the muslims are in joining holy wars when the Christians seem to be content to watch the world burn around them. Sigghhh.

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 11, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Do hordes join crusades?

Because the two biggest just rapidly switched religions, in what seems to be shaping up to be an actually sorta equal fight between Islam and Christianity for once.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
You think you hate him.

Try doing it as Karloman...

Edit:

I'd forgotten how awful it was to be on the receiving end of a planned invasion. Thank you, dude invading from Rome, for rubbing my face in it by invading from my fav place too. 25K dudes attacking a W-Francia that can barely rub together 13 and that was with all my sweet levies. You couldn't have attacked the Muslim part of Aquitaine either could you? Dickbag. Next up will probs be another invasion from the Empire of Hispania.

Just waiting on the crusades now I suppose. They upped it to 900 or what? 800?

Deceitful Penguin fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 13, 2015

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

super fart shooter posted:

Okay, so now I just finished pillaging another county down to 3 empties and a city, and now it's being counted as a nomadic county. So maybe it is the ratio, but it's just gotta be 2/3rds or 3/4ths empty slots? I dunno, I guess I'll keep experimenting...
Nopes. If you have 2 non-empties, it doesn't count as nomadic.

You can exploit this in horrifying ways, btw.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I guess they don't have much exciting to show this week. Tbh, the idea of weekly Dev Diaries seems a bit short to me; shouldn't it take a bit longer to make stuff worth showing off?

Also in my Uyghur game, one of my vassal khans converted to Zunism. That's got to be like, the easiest way to get the Empire of the Sun cheevo possible, even more so than the Abbasid one.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

catlord posted:

Huh. Maybe I misread something then. I just want to chill with my new liege, is that too much to ask? I handed my grandkid off to be educated but he managed to not get converted by the end of his education.
Is your liege lord a Nomad? If so, there's probably your answer: they can't ask you to convert. Dunno about being a vassal to one; Havent tried that game yet.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
How about making a better inheritance mechanic really? Just some nice graphical poo poo where you can toss around titles between kids and see exactly what each inherits.

Also something just vaguely amuses me about what a poo poo hand Africa gets; especially when I remember the nationalist mod Wiz made for EU3.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It's honestly kinda whack how North-Africa of all places, is by far the the best part of the continent, because, like, the Duchy of Tunis is crazy; all except counties one have harbors, Tunis itself is a 6 holding country and the only real reason I don't play it more is that Berbers are boring. It's still one of my fav places to prepare-invade though; especially now that you can't do it to the Umms anymore. The one thing that sorta made them fun was camel cavalry and now retinues are poo poo and you'll never get to use them until they're mostly superfluous.

Adding a corridor to the east and a coast and a few events would be enough really; though I can't imagine it would be too hard to pay an anthropologist or historian a few SEK to make a short list of poo poo interesting enough to be events. Adding the trade route system to Africa too is obvious, but at that point ya gotta wonder if we're moving towards almost TW level of building.

Still, they're able to confine nomad buildings to places, adding more like that to actually vaguely differentiate places would be a good thing too, without being dreadfully complex.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Honky Dong Country posted:

The master plan is to take all of africa and then start conquering European and Arabian kingdoms and installing independent dynasty members for giggles.
This is my fav thing. Just continue to build up one super strong center but throw as many dynasty members out there as I can and see how they do.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yea, the inbreeding religions really suffer for how the AI seems unwilling to take concubines all the time, like the player.

Leads to dynasties that are even more unstable than usual.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I wish there were more varied early game start-dates. That's what I want for the next expansion; more dates like in EUIV, so it's not always the same blobs.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I dunno. I'm hoping that they added the mod support for more eras because they wanted to add more of their own, but knowing Paradox, they might just add even later, blobbier ones.

I'm actually somewhat curious as to whether folks play many of the later starts. I mostly just played Viking age and now Charlemagne, the latter ones just seem even fuller of big, annoying blobs and with less variety in religions.

And while the Aztecs can take a lot of land quickly, the fact they're under enforced gavelkind unless they manage to reform makes them pretty fracture-friendly.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
A lot of crazy stuff can happen, especially now the game is so complex.
An example:
Steppe nomads have a chance switch religions when they're hired by different religion rulers. If one switches to Catholicism from Judaism, inherits the Khaganate, then joins the Crusade for Jerusalem, wins, promptly croaks, handing the Khaganate over to the other, still Jewish brother, you can get the quite frankly bizarre situation of the Kingdom of Israel, full of Christian Lords, led by a Jewish Kazar.

Oh, and in that game I found out that the Papacy can be a valid prepared invasion kingdom. Yeah. To bad his kid then promptly invaded Aquitane, robbing me of all my lands. Alas.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

So apparently if you join a faction for independence, it can intimidate your leige into transferring a bunch of vassals under your control?

Also I've finally figured out what county capitals are.
They do anything they can to try and please you, sometimes. If you ever try playing vassal games and be powerful while also being wrong religion/culture so the character dislikes his liege, he'll try the same thing he would on NPCs on you. Including giving you titles, assigning the chancellor/Religion Dude on you and even yea, bribing you with titles.
I'm more used to getting threatened though. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
That is some pretty weak and sad justification for not allowing github. Seeing as I was using that (though I failed to get the last After the End update to work) I'm pretty irate too.

As an anti-piracy measure, it's somewhat archetypal in that it just bothers legit consumers more than it does pirates, but can't you just skirt the line by mentioning in the OP that there is a github version of the mod?

And I'm still annoyed that you can't have it on Steam. It's just so way more convenient. Ach.

• Locked thread