Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

90% of my gametime is going to be spent listening to thugs banter.

I have no problem with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Has there been any word on pre-loading on Steam for this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

RatHat posted:

According to the Game Informer review you need 100% to unlock the "real" ending.

Well it's not like I wasn't gonna do this anyway! :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The pre-load keeps erroring out on me - don't do this to me Rocksteady, this is how (Electric Company-era) supervillains are made :shepface:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm not gonna get it preloaded in time :cripes:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've only played through a couple of hours but it looks amazing and the level of detail is incredible. I don't like how it's cramming the Batmobile in and I hope that this is just early-game stuff where they're trying to make sure you're fully aware of it and what it can do - I far prefer brooding on rooftops, gliding through the air and listening to thug banter over scuttling about like a crab while trying to make sure blue lines don't become red lines.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ShineDog posted:

Tons of little details in this game. The game calls back to a very minor action you can take in the first moments of the game an hour or two later.

If you don't shoot anyone as the cop the police watching him are amazed he held it together as well as he did, as opposed to if you shoot people they're horrified at what Scarecrow did to him

I'm sorry I ruined your life, cop dude :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, PC fans, is it as bad as advertised? I've heard reports ranging from "sluggish, but okay" to "completely broken" and I'm not sure what to expect from my year old PC and GTX 770.

Runs absolutely fine for me and it looks great, but I beat the recommended specs so I'd be pretty pissed off if that wasn't the case.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Worth noting that most people saying this seem to have a 970 or 980. I'm using a 960 and the performance is pretty bad.

I'm on a 770 and it runs pretty sweetly, I guess it's just a crapshoot really :shrug:

I should say I just went with whatever nvidia suggested were the optimal settings, so I imagine all the bells and whistles aren't turned on - game still looks fantastic to me though (better than City for sure) and runs very well.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Fear takedowns own and I wish they had a silent variant.

Seeing dudes in the background freaking out and wildly spraying bullets everywhere, knowing that it isn't going to help at all and this thing is coming for them next is so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Was in the middle of a big group of thugs and beating the poo poo out of them, went to use the Batclaw on a guy just as a car come skidding by on the street. The batclaw hit that instead, Batman leaped up onto the roof of the car and did something (anchored the line to a wall or something, it all happened so fast I wasn't sure what happened) which caused the car to flip over and crash as he backflipped of it. I then turned him around and sauntered him back to where the surviving thugs were waiting, presumably having just witnessed that and deciding there was no point in running because it's now quite clear NOTHING is going to stop Batman :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did you yell "I'm Batman" at any point during this?

Nope, because that moment made it quite clear to me that I am definitely NOT Batman, and clearly the videogame dude is just straight up gonna go off and fight criminals on his own if I'm not quick enough to register stuff going on in the periphery and react accordinly :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Don't go into the light, Bats, it's not fair... they'd never let me in!" :xd:

Also I hosed up and got killed by a henchman during a fight, and the henchman actually got to pop up on the death screen to do a pithy one-liner - never seen that in any of the Arkham games before and thought it was pretty neat :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I had to avoid the thread till I was finished the story because so many spoilers were just being casually bandied about in the early days, so apologies if this has been covered in depth already. When I pre-ordered the game it said it came with the Harley DLC, but on my menu it has Arkham Stories grayed out so I can't select it. Is this a common problem/is there something I can do to fix this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

Do you use the activation code for it?

I was just given a single code that said it was for the game + Harley DLC, should there have been an extra standalone code?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Speedball posted:

the Knight unleashes guys in suits that prevent you from using detective mode too during his boss fight.

It's hilarious just casually sabotaging their suits so you can see them, then stalking them as the Knight gloats about how you're blind and don't know where the militia are.

It was fun how the Knight's attempts to taunt Batman about how he was superior (I own the skies, this isn't your city anymore, these tanks are gonna swarm you etc) became more frustrated as time goes on and not only is Batman surviving, but he's tearing the militia apart.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CuwiKhons posted:

Yes, there's a specific code for the Harley DLC as it has to be downloaded and installed separately.

Goddammit :mad:

Edit: Looks like there was a mix-up with Warner Brothers and they didn't send out the code till later, and it ended up in Google's stupid "social" setting that not a single person on the planet ever looks at! Now I can be disappointed in the DLC like everybody else :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 14, 2015

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

On my New Game+ I decided to make Scarecrow the first guy I caught (___Stagg____ ruined that), which means this time around there are still some militia guys hanging about once he's been caught. Their chatter shifts from talking about concerns about their changing bosses to all kinds of talk about the Riddler which is hilarious, because they don't seem to grasp who he is or what he does and think all the trophies and deathtraps laid around are part of some kind of Public Art exhibit Gotham is holding this month :3:

"I found the neat green puzzle on the street, but I couldn't figure it out!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

poptart_fairy posted:

I love how consistently the Riddler is treated as a laughing stock. :allears:

There is one Riddler informant you can go back to and talk more with later on, and it's quite neat hearing him talk about the Riddler. He makes the point that at first it was kind of funny/even charming to see Riddler get busted and thrown in jail and listen to him rant about besting Batman. But as time went on and Riddler started getting more obsessed, no longer "taking care of himself", his physical/mental wellbeing deteriorating, his clothes getting increasingly dirty etc it stopped being amusing and just became sad and pathetic to the point that the guy just genuinely felt bad for him.

UnsuitableWasp posted:

Maybe Batman is one of those irresponsable parents who drive with their kids in their laps.

Jeez, you'd think his parents would have shown him how t.... oh :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BarkingSquirrel posted:

So I only have 2 things left to collect to open the real ending. One riddle and one trophy, both on founders island. Not inside anything but the island itself. The problem is that I have no markers for them and it is not spawning any riddler informants. This is bullshit.

Apart from what others have mentioned, have you interrogated the GCPD informant yet?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I cannot get the Leap of Faith achievement which is driving me mad, it's the only (listed) achievement left in the game for me to get, but no matter how many jumps I've made (you need 8, I found a guide with 16) it won't seem to trigger. I've set 100m waypoints for each and am fairly certain I passed 100m on at least 10 of them, but there's no way to track if you have or haven't so I don't know if I just need to get one more or I'm still sitting on zero. I guess I'll just have to leave it, there are other games to play and I've played the hell out of this game since it came out.

And people weren't kidding about that Harley Quinn DLC being short :stare:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

E: The two more recent times Batman has been replaced it's been by Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon, but in both those cases Bruce wasn't around to make the choice.

I think the first time that happened, Dick as Batman is fighting Joker who cracks some terrible joke.... and Dick cracks one right back. Joker gets all super-pissed because BATMAN'S NOT SUPPOSED TO JOKE BACK! :supaburn:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The one thing that bugs me about being spotted by thugs during predator sections is that you still get the extreme slowdown/get out of there or throw a batarang thing happen even if you've sabotaged their gun to jam or even knock them unconscious. It's kinda annoying to be choking out one thug and then have to sit there waiting out an extreme slow-mo section just so the thug who spotted you can knock himself out.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I mean, we already have had four games of Batman and two DLC of Batman. I know he's the main character, but we've already seen most of his history. I'd rather get some character building DLC where Robin or someone takes on some villains.

Maybe when they say Batman they mean Dick Grayson Batman, along with his sidekick Damian Wayne as Robin? :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pirate Jet posted:

If anyone is wondering, this is from "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader?" by Neil Gaiman, which is totally great.

Including a story where it turns out the Joker was Alfred all along, which is pretty loving amazing.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Medium Cool posted:

You can turn this off in settings.

Welp, 110 hours in I learn something that would have benefited me immensely!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He comes to the conclusion that he's so small he can slip through the holes in the plans of gods, and decides that by becoming a part of that story he can win.

I really, really loved that his part of the story ends after he forces the God/Embodiment of Evil itself to admit it is scared of him - a cowardly and superstitious lot indeed :allears:

I was really impressed by the ending of Final Crisis which seemed to be setting the stage for a brighter, happier, more positive direction for DC Comics in general. They very quickly "solved" that "problem" though :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

At least that part gives you check points on each section. They could have been really mean and made you do it all or nothing.

The way I beat it was to just sit with the car aimed down the tunnel, ready to go. Then it's just a (long) waiting game for the guy to notice you and you gun it. That was a lot easier than trying to drive around and find the nearest escape.

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with that fight, but I did it the same way - I found the tunnel I wanted him to chase me down, then waited for him to come tootling on by bitching about me, then shot him and drove away as he ranted that this time I wouldn't escape.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hexenritter posted:

checkpoint.... relatively dense

There is one exception to this rule in the late game that is probably my favorite checkpoint in the game.

"System Error? I'll just close that and hope nothing goes wrong!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Just got the game, about to finish downloading the update file. I'm mad pumped to be the Bat once again.

EDIT: Bwhahaha, what is this, Riddler just decided to become a race track designer now? Not sure how this qualifies as a riddle but okay I'm down.

At one point in the game, Catwoman just angrily snaps at Riddler,".....Eddie, HOW is this a Riddle!?!"

I love the Riddler in these games so much :allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aexo posted:

I was surprised to hear that the PC sales had been halted on this game. It stuttered a few times and there were some weird cutscene type glitches, but it wasn't unplayable for me at all. I'm wondering if people tweaking things contributed to it breaking?

There are those who were lucky enough to have the game run well on PC (I am one of the lucky ones) but a pretty significant number of people had the game basically be unplayable for them - this doesn't seem to have been a case of a vocal minority, it was bad enough that WB pulled the game from sale (helped by Steam's refund policy costing WB more money for refunds than they got for the initial purchase) and apologized for making a lovely port.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

JFC, this mission where you defend GPD.

How many tanks?

All of them...all the tanks.

Oh, and I guess a couple missile battery things that spam two missiles from two different directions every ten seconds? Yeah, why not?

Use the EMP if you get overwhelmed by missiles, or use the missile swarm to take them out in midair or destroy the launchers before they can fire. The hack tool is also very handy because not only do you have tanks fighting on your side, but the hostile drones will divide up between attacking you and them, meaning there is a 50-66% lower chance of being targeted while they are around.

But the main thing in that mission is to listen out for the supporting character's instructions, they'll lay out targets for you that will wipe out large chunks of the attacking force at once and make things a hell of a lot easier.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I'd love Damian to be in the game but I want it to be grumpy kid Damian because he's the best.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hopper posted:

So this game is currently 17€ for PC in the deluxe edition with season pass. Should I grab it?

The PC release was a giant clusterfuck and it still hasn't been fixed. You can take a gamble and it might play absolutely fine with no issues like it did for me (in which case it is MORE than worth the money), but the problem was widespread enough that WB actually pulled the game from sale until they could get it fixed. The first interim fix is apparently still in testing, so I assume you've seen this on sale as a physical item?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

redbackground posted:

Hey, that's nothing, Arkham City had 440! :getin:

880 actually, since I redid the entire lot when they released the GOTY Editions for free for Steam users :cripes:

I just... I just really like playing the Batman games, okay? :sweatdrop:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I assume those free games will be giftable if you already own copies (which of course I do), if not that would be a pretty dick move.

Luckily the game ran fine for me so I was already able to beat it, but it's nice to finally get the DLC content too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

NVIDIA GeForce Experience suggested new game settings for me after the patch - everything set on low :laugh:

I still count myself lucky the game ran perfectly fine for me on release, I had a ton of fun playing the game and the only really sour note was how obviously forced the Batmobile sections were (especially early game). But this PC release has been an utter disaster, I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I was one of the many people who the game was basically unplayable for... and it's STILL not fixed.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

l33t b4c0n posted:

Or they could patch in an actual Scarecrow endgame boss fight.

I actually loved their ending, I thought it made a lot of sense to finally have Bruce and Scarecrow face-to-face, the Scarecrow having done everything he promised to do.... and then recoil in fear when Bruce STILL isn't afraid of him. It reminded me of one of the best bits of Asylum, when you come out of the hallucination and Batman has Scarecrow in a choke-grip and he's freaking out going,"How are you still not scared.... who are you? WHAT are you!?! :gonk:" - no need to have a fistfight when Batman has already completely broken him psychologically.

I just recently played through the DLC stuff (though I've barely touched the AR challenges) and even though I was one of the lucky ones who the game always played fine for on PC, the patch did at least show me what I'd been missing in terms of graphics, as everything was far cleaner/crisper than what I'd been used to playing through. The funny thing is that if I try to "optimize" the settings for the game it sets everything to low, but if I leave it all on the "high" settings I had for the game pre-patch, it runs just as well but now looks far, far better.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

avisgoth posted:

So is this game worth the sale currently going on? PC version on Steam is $23.99...I'm on the fence.

If it runs for you then it's more of the same of Asylum and City (which is a good thing as far as I'm concerned) and well worth the price. If it doesn't run, you can always request a refund because the game doesn't work (or does but only with extremely limited graphics/framerate etc).

I was lucky in that it always ran fine, the recent patches make the game look better and it runs about as well as it did before. Many others it wouldn't run for them at all, and I believe the patches have improved that though there are still a number of people who the game still simply won't run for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Finished up all the achievements at last and decided to call it a day - I could 3-star all the AR Challenges but there is just too much repetition there for my liking, so I only did what I needed for achievements. I've 100%ed every Arkham game (apart from Origins and its insistence on multiplayer achievements :argh:) and in the end I got as much fun and value for money out of this as I did all the rest. I was absolutely one of the lucky ones though, even on release the game ran fine for me, just without a lot of the graphical bells and whistles. Post-patches, it runs exactly as well but now with the graphics turned up higher so it's prettier.

ImpAtom posted:

It's inconsistent, which is part of the problem. It does run well for some people but it isn't reliable as to why.

Yeah, my computer is good but not great, and starting to get on in years, but it played the game fine on release. It didn't seem to be so much how powerful your computer was as whether your set-up just happened to mesh with what the game was trying to do. Which is what makes questions like the below so difficult to answer:

Capn Beeb posted:

Is $20 for this a fair deal for the game and season pass bundled in? Seems it's still pretty hit and miss with folks but I've been curious about it for a while, especially now that I've upgraded my PC.

$20 is a great deal for everything.... so long as the game actually runs well for you (or at all). There's no way of knowing without buying and trying, unfortunately. :shrug:

• Locked thread