Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

Ah, Heinlein. The only book of his I ever attempted was Stranger In A Strange Land. The setup was interesting and I actually hung with it until. Until.

I read it in high school. I was really enjoying all the future sci-fi political stuff up until the guy makes a bunch of space cops disappear and it goes off into crazy religious sex orgy bullshit. I stuck through to the end because, seriously, this is just padding, right? He's going to get back to the real plot soon, right?

Nope. I was actually kinda disappointed when the Martians decided not to blow up the Earth, I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Gabriel Pope posted:

This actually sounds pretty awesome, I want to spend a vacation standing around destroying yuppie marriages by proximity.

You and me both.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Postal Parcel posted:

Like I said, it was an Amazon e-Book original

Well there's your trouble!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goethe's Faust > Marlowe's Faustus.

I said it. I'll say it again if I have to.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yikes. Mike Nelson is a very funny man, but he's funny in a way that just doesn't lend itself to fiction writing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

flosofl posted:

Don't forget John Ringo

God, do I ever wish I could forget John Ringo.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brass Key posted:

What's worse, a book with a dumb premise or a book that has an interesting premise and squanders it? Because I just remembered Robert Sawyer's Neanderthal series, and hoo boy. There's a parallel world where Neanderthals became the dominant species instead of Homo sapiens, and through shenanigans involving an underground research station in the same place in both worlds, a bridge opens up and a Neanderthal scientist falls through. So far so good, right?

Wrong. Not only is the book incredibly dull, but the author spends most of it jerking off about the superiority of the Neanderthals' peaceful ways and magical pollution-free technology because they're so in tune with nature. There's an equally dull romance with the female human main character, who's afraid to get too close to him because she was raped like fifteen pages in by some rando. She tried to scare the rapist off (while being held at knifepoint) by telling him she had hiv (she doesn't). The rapist is like "oh really... ME TOO."

I about cringed my entire face off and in retrospect I'm not sure why I didn't put it down right there. Somehow, this series has won many awards.

I finished the first one and immediately gave up on the second one when I tried to read it.

That goddamned rape scene ruined the whole book.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dabir posted:

There's a scene where a succubus tries to seduce Bill Clinton and he blows its head off​ with a shotgun.

So you're saying it isn't entirely terrible?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
J.W. Friedman is no stranger to getting morally enraged by bad books so I'll take his word on this one.

John Updike still sucks tho.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tunicate posted:

Imagine RPO but the billionaire is Ulillillia and they have to memorize facts about bubsy 3d instead. Instantly a much more solid and intriguing work.

I would pay for this idea in book form.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

RobotDogPolice posted:

I don't know why I enjoy people making GBS threads on RPO as much as I do.

I'm a hopeless nerd who's Of The RIght Age to appreciate references to 80s pop culture ephemera and RPO offends me on a very base level. I'm angry that someone was able to monetize my stupid childhood nostalgia for stupid bullshit cartoons made to sell toys that my parents (to their eternal credit) refused to buy me. I'm also mad that I didn't think of that poo poo first.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Thank God that Helldump Superstar Boniface is here to tell us the same things everyone else has already said about that stupid book.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

kvx687 posted:

The really weird part to me is that the entire tone of the book completely changes most of the way through with no warning. The entire first three quarters or so grapples with culture shock and the implications of Valentine's powers, like the morality of using his superpowers to erase criminals, and then bam there's a six-month timeskip with no leadup where they somehow discover that it actually somehow reincarnates the people he zaps, so they go around erasing all the bad guys and have sex parties and Valentine's totally acclimated with no effort. It's like he stapled a completely different book in and thought nobody would notice.

Yeah the abrupt shift from neat sci-fi and culture shock into weird old guy sex fantasy religious bullshit annoyed the poo poo out of me, and I was a goddamned teenager when I read it.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

the second part makes me think that episode of Steven Universe

That's an interesting place to go to.

:yikes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Inescapable Duck posted:

Try reading the rest of the post and you might find it's actually on topic! :cheeky:

Not the point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zore posted:

I think the Celebrian they're talking about is an infamous fanfic from the late 90's-early 2000's about a Lord of the Ring's character who is Elrond's wife. Its about how she gets abducted by orcs and goes into some incredibly awful ape stuff.

It was considered a 'classic' along with Agony in Pink (Pink Power Ranger being tortured in graphic detail) and Cloud Mows the Lawn (Cloud from FF7 kills and maybe eats the rest of the party?). All of them were staples of the bad fanfic mock websites, which used to be a pretty huge network before they faded away.

If only...

some wiki for something posted:

Tifa, while watching Cloud mow the lawn, needs to go to the bathroom and doesn't want to stop watching, so... yes, this goes exactly where you're thinking, and gets worse from there.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

Douglas Adams wrote the best sex scene by having Arthur dent and Fenchurch have sec in the sky next to a passing jetliner

Also he put a disclaimer right before it telling readers "here comes a sex scene and related stuff so if you don't want to read it skip ahead this many chapters because Marvin shows up there".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Perestroika posted:

I tried to read Weber's Honour Harrington but ended up dropping it about three books in because his antagonists just suck so much. Not just "suck" in the way they're written, but in that they're simply bad at everything. Every time we get a glimpse into their world, we're told how their politics suck, their society sucks, or their military sucks. When we get a PoV character from their side, they usually think about how much their side sucks and how they hate it, but they still fight for them out of some atrophied sense of patriotism or simply inertia.

At that point, it doesn't really feel so much like our protagonists heroically struggling against overwhelming odds, but more like them beating up a retarded child. This was particularly apparent in the third book: The so far mostly cold war finally goes hot, and we get the first serious clashes in what has been hyped up as the both inevitable as well as utterly decisive showdown between the two major power blocs. And what happens? The antagonists instantly lose on every front in ridiculously decisive ways, and their government immediately collapses. That just kind of killed any sense of having stakes or a struggle.

Well it's all Horatio Hornblower and Nelson except IN SPAAAACE and if all you've ever read about Napoleonic naval warfare is novels where the handsome British captain captures half the French/Spanish fleet singlehanded you'd end up writing the bad guys and stupid cannon fodder too.

Weber is a terrible writer is what I'm saying here, and it almost goes without saying those books turn up everywhere on TV Tropes.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Dork Souls

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Powaqoatse posted:

trolley problems

trolley wheels

trolling my terrible book thread

not my terrible books

because my books are fantastic

--its me i wrote this just now

Burma-Shave.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
There's actually been Serious Articles written about how Heathcliff is a vampire. Well, a metaphorical vampire, not a literal one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Djeser posted:

are you saying Emily Bronte, the real life person who wrote under the male pseudonym Ellis Bell, is likely to have been a female pseudonym?

:confused:

Jesus Christ dude.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought a goon wrote Dozerfleet. Or that might have been a Troper.

The Dozerfleet Founder is a troper.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zerilan posted:

What is dozerfleet?

We have such sights to show you.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Alan Moore is a broke-brained pervert and probably a pedo too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Foglet posted:

Are none of you aware that Moore did "The Lost Girls" ~20 years prior to Neonomicon cause that's pretty much the only explanation I can think of for Neonomicon being a shock.

That's why I called him a probable pedophile.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

there wolf posted:

I don't remember any pedo stuff in Lost Girls, but then I didn't finish it because it was pretty boring.

All those girls, as originally written, were barely teenagers. Wendy is meant to be 12 or 13ish. This is how Dorothy was depicted in the original Oz books.

Even aging them up, that's total pedophile poo poo.

Vincent Van Goatse has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Dec 26, 2017

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chitoryu12 posted:

I thought that was "une petite pātisserie"?

The day I stop finding this joke funny is the day I cash out on life.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I'm picturing the Secretary of Defense farting at a Star Wars character.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Still a more realistic body shape than some of the old games.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

legendof posted:

Good Omens by Pratchett and Gaiman. 1990, so only barely within the last thirty years, but that book is a delight.

Amanda Palmer's a pretty lovely human being and Gaiman married her.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If I recall correctly, John Ringo wrote some pretty decent sex scenes in Ghost.

You do not recall correctly. At all. In fact, you recall with the Platonic, quintessential definition of recalling incorrectly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jerry Cotton posted:

This isn't the PY posting persona thread!

I thought it was the Soul Calibur thread all of a sudden.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Carnival of Shrews posted:

Follow-up to 'How Green Was My Valley?' not looking so good:

Holy poo poo, one of my college professors helped edit this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

C.M. Kruger posted:

As a bit of a update, The F Plus did a episode about Morgan Blayde:
https://thefpl.us/episode/299

I'd repressed my memories of this dude. He's just staggeringly awful.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Loomer posted:

Tolkien was very much a conservative Christian, but of the kind that fairly genuinely wished for a world of peace and kindness for all mankind - albeit preferably in their own countries, with India included as part of England etc.

He did go on record telling the Nazis to go gently caress themselves and their antisemitism.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Who the gently caress wanted Moby to write a memoir anyway? Who the gently caress even remembered Moby before this book came out?

Apart from the women he's skeeved out, I mean.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's all evidence of him being a sex weird.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

queserasera posted:

Never thought about it this way, interesting.

That's one of the things about Twilight. There's a lot of potentially interesting things and ideas in the books that a competent writer could explore and do cool stuff with, but because this is Stephenie Meyer they're all ignored in the service of the dull dumb love story.

You could probably get a decent series of books about what's-his-face the doctor vampire living through the centuries and getting called in to solve crimes or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My not-so-secret desire was for a Twilight spinoff focused on Vampire Doctor Dude (Carlin? Carlisle?) and Mustache Dad solving murders together in a sleepy town. I think its because they were the only two actors in the film who had any chemistry with each other.