Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

how important is it to use Genuine Apple® Lightning™ Cables©™®

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

r u ready to WALK posted:

Just build yourself a Trash Pro with the most recent intel processor and gpu

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/mac-pro-late-2013-replica.120757/

ahaha its based on a literal trashcan

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

FMguru posted:

an uber-but-for-waffles app
well, im sold

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ocrassus posted:

yes. I'm going to give up my pioneers for lovely amateur software and DJing on a tiny thin touch screen.

like most dj's today

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

or u could use wireless headphones

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

update ur loving os

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol

quote:

iFixit also found that the new improved speakers are located in the lower portion of the case, while the external speaker grilles are positioned in the top half of the case and don't even go clear through to the internals, making them extremely unlikely to provide any outlet for audio. Instead, sound is thought to be projected from air vents on the sides of the case – a design feature not seen on the new 13-inch MacBook Pro with function keys.

fake speaker grills. thanks apple. thapple

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: sa needful needs to stop emptyquoting for no reason

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 17, 2016

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mishaq posted:

15" laptops are disgusting
suck my dilz

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

if u are not actually using your laptop on your lap most of the time, 15" is the own zone

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i mean in class, at work, in the library etc im putting it on a table/desk and the 15" is just better for that

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

1password > using abc123 on every site > lastpass

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

nice url

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Shifty Pony posted:

quietcomfort headphones.

they basically brought active noise cancellation to the consumer headphone market and pretty much rule that entire class of devices. headphone snobs still look down their noses at them but even that has died down a bit because as overpriced as Bose headphones are, at least they aren't Beats.
they are still stupidly overpriced tripe. the $99 headphone standards all sound better

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

lol

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hey remember this

well

quote:

An early prototype of the original iPhone has been shared online by Sonny Dickson, with a collection of images and a video that provide a glimpse into one version of the iPhone that Apple created and tested before ending up with the first iteration of the device. The prototype includes some similar features to the first generation iPhone, like an aluminium chassis, multi-touch compatible screen, 2G connectivity and Wi-Fi, but its entire user interface is taken directly from the click wheel system of Apple's original iPod line.

Called "Acorn OS," the prototype software includes an on-screen click wheel on the bottom half of the screen and a menu system on the top half, and the two are bisected by a bar with rewind, menu, play/pause, and fast-forward buttons. On the menu are options such as “Favorites”, “SMS”, “Music”, “Settings” and “Recents," and it's navigated by circling around the click wheel to go up and down, with a center press confirming an action, just like on the iPod.

"Instead of the modern touch-driven interface we now call iOS, it featured an operating system dubbed “Acorn OS” (this was an internal code name, and it unclear if it would have kept that name if it had been released), which is derived from the acorn shown on boot.

Not much else is known about the device, apart from the fact that it differs heavily from the iPhone we know today, and that very few units running “Acorn OS” exist, with most of them likely being destroyed by Apple, a company in which there is a specific job role in relation to the destruction of prototypes."

Dickson references Apple's patent for a "multi-functional hand-held device," filed and published in 2006, as proof that such a prototype did exist at one point and could potentially have been an alternate version of the iPhone. In one of the patent's drawings, a click wheel can be seen as a possible input method for the proposed device. The patent's abstract describes a product with "at most only a few physical buttons, keys, or switches so that its display size can be substantially increased."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0LlVtlXEEA

It's well known that to get to the current version of iOS we have today, Steve Jobs originally placed "iPod Father" Tony Fadell and Macintosh executive Scott Forstall in a head-to-head competition to come up with the best mobile operating system possible. The two teams represented a clashing idea that Jobs had for the iPhone: enlarge the iPod's OS or come up with a compact version of the Mac's OS. Forstall's team won, and it appears that today's shared prototype is a bygone leftover of the losing side's work.

Check out more images of the iPod-inspired iPhone on Sonny Dickson's website.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

surprised apple doesnt have a sonny dickson destruction role as well

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Last Chance posted:

bring back forstall imho
im cool w this as long as hes on a tight leash held by ive to prevent more games center type failures

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

as yospos's resident Headphone Autist(tm) i am reserving judgment on the airpods before i hear for myself how awful they sound

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

lmao how long have you had that av
bout a week

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

im a big gay baby whose never listened to a proper vinyl / rip, shovel hot coals into my anus
well, same i suppose

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

actually, my dad had over a thousand records because he kept emptying out auctions.

sound is poo poo because its an obsolete sound medium, sorry you can't discern fine detail anymore
yes im sure ur dads dusty records from auctions played through a lovely turntable and speakers are a reasonable basis for comparison

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sniep posted:

~heart touching~
Apple thrad 2017: Rock Solid, Heart Touching

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

crusader_complex posted:

edward james palmos
:eyepop:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i was actually pleasantly surprised by the new mbp keyboard, although the retina macbook one is still dumb dogshit

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

The Management posted:

Welcome Chris Lattner
The Tesla Team
January 10, 2017

We would like to welcome Chris Lattner, who will join Tesla as our Vice President of Autopilot Software. Chris’ reputation for engineering excellence is well known. He comes to Tesla after 11 years at Apple where he was primarily responsible for creating Swift, the programming language for building apps on Apple platforms and one of the fastest growing languages for doing so on Linux. Prior to Apple, Chris was lead author of the LLVM Compiler Infrastructure, an open source umbrella project that is widely used in commercial products and academic research today.
mamma mia

St Evan Echoes posted:

the macbook one is literally one step removed from typing on an ipad screen, it loving sucks
ya im gonna get my dad one cause he still does hunt-and-peck but i cant imagine any other reasonable use case

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

whoops i signed myp; ost

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

another prototype video from Sunny Dicks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eJZH-nkKP8

it says a lot about the clickwheel version that forestalls interface was picked even though it was much more primitive in every way aside from the ui paradigm

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Steve really liked to talk about pants-making GBS threads for some reason: http://hbswk.hbs.edu/archive/3533.html
owns

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

BiohazrD posted:

this is like, the opposite of the argument we are having. i dont give a gently caress about some middle class, gentrifying, white fuckboi. we are talking about poor, often minority, people who live paycheck to paycheck. these people should have a right to transportation
hey did u know there is a brand new forum where u can take this poo poo instead of posting it where we make computre joeks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

Hey, did you know you can suck my balls?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N94vJZF5PhE&hd=1&t=4s

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Citizen Tayne posted:

RIP awesome baseball guy :(
ya :smith: i was real bummed when i found out it was this guy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i think you meant to write the maxi ipad.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

infernal machines posted:

lol.

oled

curved screen

usb-c
all superior, whats the issue?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

please dont kill the se timb

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

DuckConference posted:

Bith Ming kuo Cho and the Wall Street journal, so it's basically an unofficial press release at this point

Edit: Also it's just for the $1000 pro phone, there will be two phones that look like the 7 again
seems intuitive but theyve both been super wrong at the same time in the past, so idk

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

apple will only do a curved screen if it looks correct, aside from the new models being too big they havent hosed up the iphone formfactor yet

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

hifi posted:

do newer iphones still have the ipod car integration? not carplay. i've got an old ipod nano that just sits in my car plugged in and the head unit pulls in playlists and artist lists better than android or aux in, and the ipod is like 8 years old now
the pro move is to get a proclip and use siri/the iphone interface mounted next to ur steering wheel or on a vent

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jesus christ just slap a new proc and 1070s in the mac pro timb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

wont believe it until theres a breathless macrumors post taken from a digitimes article

• Locked thread