Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

wiegieman posted:

What does the thread think of Supermassive Black Hole A*?

It's a hard sci-fi story about the human diaspora living in the galactic core (near the eponymous stellar body) and follows two characters, a revenge-driven engineer and an absolutely batshit crazy mercenary who's a lot more than meets the eye. Much of the conflict centers around the pursuit of very advanced technology left behind by a famous inventor during humanity's emigration to the core.

This rules. You should post some art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think that the teacher just didn't want a classroom full of excitable tots to skip writing assignments in lieu of scribbling over the entire paper in black crayon regardless of whether the joke made sense or was even attempted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I kind of like it, but I do not know why.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is, generally, inadvisable to judge a thing based on its fans.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Colon Semicolon posted:

http://wolfpupy.tumblr.com/

I don't know what the gently caress this is or why it's been running for a good while
But it is the most unfunny thing I've ever seen. Where are the jokes? What's the point of the character being a 'wolfpupy'? Am I supposed to care about this awful little poo poo of a character???

It is a spinoff from a Twitter.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I have one. Jonny Crossbones has recently resumed updating after a three years hiatus and is Hergé as gently caress.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

The only part that's not aped on Hergé is the design of the character. What's up with that skeleton suit?

I think he just looks like that and nobody ever comments on it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hi.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Trauma Comics (Traumics)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

Hey, there's a webcomics thread. I shouldn't be surprised.

So after a long hiatus from webcomics, I've picked Broodhollow back up, and discovered Stand Still, Stay Silent & K6BD. I'm digging them all again, particularly the Lovecraftian feel of Broodhollow, and the postapocalyptic + magic themes of SSSS. Any others along those lines that I absolutely have to read? The only other long running or notable webcomics I really read back when I checked them out daily were Starslip Crisis and Spacetrawler.

I like Supermassive Black Hole A* a lot and believe that it should be more popular.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

Noted webcomic: The Lord of the Rings.

There's always DM of the Rings.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

What is "MSPAing your way to an ending"?

Appending, due to a sense of obligation, an extravagantly-produced perfunctory conclusion containing neither closure nor any of the appeal of the preceding work.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Lucian's True History is a just-begun webcomic adaptation of the ancient Greek satirical fantasy story of the same name. The first page (linked) is not worksafe.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It sounds like the allegory is too subtle and people are missing it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Three out of the four are related to fluids showing up in places they shouldn't.

Obviously the cause is fracking.

Well spotted in light of today's.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The author's attitude towards the movies being parodied differs - perhaps inevitably, because of the necessity of remaining true to geek culture, which axiomatically hates the one trilogy and loves the other - and as a result, the tone of the parody shifted.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tom Scioli is posting another webcomic again. Princess

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I find it hard to dislike Questionable Content. I don't know why that is. There's certainly enough to dislike about it.

Jeph Jacques seems to have a certain artistic timidity. The impression I get is that he doesn't like to leave his characters afraid and alone for very long. He knows that a big part of a writer's job is to make their characters suffer, but he always seems to be in a hurry to return them to relative stability and comfort. He likes writing about people being kind and supportive to each other.

One of the big risks in a webcomic is that the subject matter will be something that the cartoonist finds a lot more interesting to write about than the audience does to read about. It's a risk because these are things typically made by amateurs for free; having fun creating it is often a precondition for it existing at all, because it's not like there's a paycheck serving as an alternative source of motivation. All webcomics are fundamentally self-indulgent in that respect. But there's a lot of work out there where that indulgence, and not the artist's skill or diligence, is what holds the work back.

Edit: the advanced form of this disease is people using their comic as therapy

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 15, 2017

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There's Manly Guys Doing Manly Things.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sarah Grote.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I didn't think it would be Esther, but even less was I expecting this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zen Pencils, huh.

I like Chainsawsuit even on the rare occasion that it's not trying to be funny.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Congratulations, webcomics.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Tollymain posted:

tell me about your favorite comic that updated today

gently caress you, you're not the boss of me. I'll tell you about my favorite webcomic that updated yesterday.

Supermassive Black Hole A* updates with single-panel watercolor illustrations. Science fiction with a fairly complex premise that has the main character going on all sorts of space crime adventures.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Hypermedia

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I don't remember how Shelly became wealthy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Manofmanusernames posted:

Does anybody know of any good completed long form story comics? I'm looking for stuff to archive binge.

American Barbarian

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

I also like that he expects people to take any Amazigirl drama seriously when her name is Amazigirl and she wears a bright yellow costume

Par for the course in superhero comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pavlov posted:

A few pages back, but when I heard, "framework for self driving cars based on insect swarms", I was initially terrified, but after thinking about it for a moment I'm pretty sure I could make that work.

Am I a mad scientist?

Well, it depends. Is your framework inspired by insect swarming, or are you actually using swarms of live insects as part of the project?

• Locked thread