Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

m3talh3ad posted:

Are transfers still down if your old characters were on Silverlode?

Something gave me the itch again, so I downloaded and would love to play. I figured I'd start something new to get the swing of things again, but I would still like to dust off my ancient characters and see where the hell I left things.
I have the same question. Seems to still be down though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Went ahead and rolled a new char on landroval. Hopefully can connect with some folks for group content.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm always down for that. I've got a few group quests for the Barrows-Downs that I'll need to get done sooner or later.
Sweet, add me. Names are Fenriks and Fitzgig. I'll usually on late in EST.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

beats the other kind of lotro quest: guy in location A tells you to talk to guy in location B on the other side of the zone, who tells you go to back to guy in location A, who teleports you to location B but then makes you walk back to location A only to tell you to go to location B (because location B is near the exit to the zone).

If you're following the Book questlines (because you've over-leveled or whatever) you get hit with three of those around level 30, and could easily run around for an hour without even seeing a bandit lol
That is pretty lore appropriate though - lot o'walkin' in the tolkienverse :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I'm lurking around twitch to see who is streaming lotro, and I happened to notice this amazing quickbar layout:

At first I thought it was smart for the hotkey aspect, but he's clicking the buttons so the benefit is lost :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

Wait, how do you do that? I only saw options for vertical or horizontal.

Would love to set up two quick bars that were shaped like my mouse’s side buttons (3x4).
If you hit ctrl+\ you can move the quickbars around to wherever you want them.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

I’ve done that a bit, but no way to change their shape that I can see. Just vertical/horizontal and placement for the whole bar line.
Ah yeah I guess there's a limit to the fine tuning. I thought you meant that you would bind the mouse buttons to use 4 on quickbar 4 and 3 on quickbar 5.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

The anniversary token outfits looked a little too aggressive for my minstrel, so i went with one of the older ones

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Was digging through old screenshots and figured I would post an album of some Nazgun shenanigans.

https://imgur.com/a/WAUGAPL

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Just saw this, nice!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zam Wesell posted:

Started out with hunter, but switched over to champion. It's okay, maybe I'll give minstrel a shot?

Also, I have this rental mount thing for another 8 hrs or something. There's no way I'm going back to not having a mount. What's the easiest/cheapeast way of acquiring a mount in this game?

e: Another thing, is this a game where I should be doing sidequests? Or is following the main quest enough? Everything is really easy so far, but I'm only level 11 so.
You can unlock the riding skill for 95 lotro coins, but I'm not sure the easiest way to get a horse. You may be able to just buy one outright from the farm north of Bree. If you need cash and are on Landroval I could send you some.

As far as sidequests, you won't need that many to stay on-level with the main story. I've been doing a bunch of them, and now I'm 5 levels above the requirement for the story quests I'm on. :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Zam Wesell posted:

Also pretty good support for ultrawide monitors in this game. Well, except for the map which makes me lol:

https://imgur.com/a/jkC3qJM
Yikes, I hope that can be fixed by a UI reskin.

https://www.lotrointerface.com/downloads/info581-JRRSkinscollection-Atributetomiddleearth.html

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Floob posted:

I'm not home this week to check, but I believe I already level boosted my guardian at some point, and I did buy a Beorning when that launched, and did enjoy it. I'll always go back if only to go fishing, or take in some sites in a leisurely mood. I love going to the prancing pony when I'm in Bree, but it's usually empty. My wife played a Hunter when it first launched and she loved it. Together we were fine, but a lone Guardian is a rough ride... I'm returning to a couple games I had put aside, and I think the theme is going to be to start a new character. Too much has changed to just jump back in.
Not sure what server you're on, but Landroval has roleplayers milling about the Prancing Pony in Bree most of the time.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kaysette posted:

LM is my favorite class in any MMO. It might not burn things down solo as fast as hunter or RK but the flavor and the toolkit are a lot of fun and you can handle almost anything. Hopping into Mordor was rough at first as you’re a bit squishy but it got easier as I geared up again.
My favorite thing is teaching pubbies about the flank system :D

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

HPanda posted:

How do Runekeepers fare as they level up? I’m still at about lvl 20 on mine, but just wondering people’s thoughts.

Most of my time right now is spent in decision paralysis over what class I want to play. I kinda lean Hunter just because of the crazy quality of life abilities they get compared to everyone else, but they really only have the one role in groups. I kinda like that RK can DPS or Heal. Bear is fun, too, but the high ranged impact classes sometimes just feel better. And minstrel is my highest so far in the upper 30’s. Cause yelling and playing instruments at things until they die never gets old.
RK's are on the bottom end of the DPS scale as well as the healing scale, but they did just get a recent damage buff so probably slightly funner to level up than they used to be?

As far as I know the most sought after classes at end game currently are beorns, captains, minstrels, burgs + hunters. The main issue is actually getting to end game (outside of the previously mentioned level boosts you can buy)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Eels posted:

I was curious about popping back to this game, it's been probably 6-7 years since I last played. When logging in it looks like all my old characters are in limbo and I can only copy them to a test server, and strangely it says I last played them in 2007. Also, I had definitely spent money to unlock stuff (like the beorning class) but it looks like that stuff is all locked again. Do you folks know if any of this can be recovered?
Supposedly they are working on transferring chars from closed servers, but there's no ETA.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Doh004 posted:

I last played this game in 2010 and just downloaded it because I was bored when sick. It appears I have some characters on "Silverlode" but the servers are all different now. Looks like I can transfer them for free to "Bullroarer" or "Palantir". Any preference in either?
Those are just test servers, if you're actually gonna play again just re-roll until they sort out the transfers to live.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Don't be hasty...

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ort posted:

Are burglars bad for soloing even if you go blue line, re: the comments on the last page? I really want to get into this game because it seems like there’s a lot to do and a chillin world, but I can never find a class that truly resonates with me. I like spears and don’t mind complicated rotations (eg gw2 weaver) if the payoff is there, I also typically like melees that use magic but that does not seem to be a thing in this game. I do not like pets or shapeshifting. Warden is one potential class I might like but I don’t have it unlocked.

The idea of putting up debuffs/dots with a burglar and popping them for damage or heals or whatever seems really cool. Blue line drew me in, but it seems like it is poo poo for group content. I mostly solo so no big deal there. I also like the skill proc combos, I liked that about guardian as well.
I leveled a burg to 54 back in the spring, I think I died once from fall damage. The game is easy no matter what you pick, and it's going to be a long, long time before you hit group content, so pick a class you enjoy.

Back in the spring the only non-desirable classes for raiding were rune keeper and guardian, but I think they both got buffed a bit since then.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lum_ posted:

Essences go into armor; you won't need to worry about them until close to the level cap.

By the way save the item XP stones you loot/get from quests, as they will eventually be used to level up legendary items; the developers added them as a stopgap since the system wasn't done in time for the expansion.
Do you have a source for the item XP runes comment? I just brushed up on the new LIs yesterday, and vendored a pile of XP runes and random essences. (but i'm still in Moria so could start saving)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ah I see - there is a "reward track" that is still in the oven. I doubt the stuff that I vendored would make much of a dent at higher levels, but i can see how the lvl 130 folks would be frustrated.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

I get that this is all new systems etc and I dig the core of what they're doing, but wow. Some of this is pretty dense. Like, just let me toss these things in a burn menu with the LI and relic stuff. I mean, hell, you already have a relic burning menu. Just do that again.
That was literally me last Saturday! Although I happened to have the disenchant item in my vault for some reason?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cyrano4747 posted:

Seriously, though, the way they give you your LI at Moria - which is basically the same in the new system as the old one, minus a side trip to Rivendell IIRC - is kinda lame.

You're getting a loving ~*~Legendary weapon from a bygone age~*~ that everyone around you is like OH SHIIII- go hit that loving giant rear end awful monster in the face with it! It loving screams to have a neat little mini-quest arc where you go recover it from the depths of a haunted crypt or find it clutched in the grasp of the dead hands of a legendary warrior next to the lair of some hosed up monster you need to kill or take it from the corpse of a orc warband leader or loving SOMETHING. Like, "you just killed something big or did something cool, look at this awesome Sword of +5 Asskicking" is a staple of RPGs as a genre to the point where it's pretty trite and people go out of their way to find ways to mix it up. Still, it's just satisfying to finish chaos dunking some big bad and take their poo poo.

But no, the dwarves who we just helped engage in a fighting retreat from an eldritch horror just tell you "oh yeah, we found a whole crate of these ancient weapons in the weeds, they look pretty sharp, here take your pick of like two dozen types we have available - I bet those could get through the hide of that Cthulhu in the pond"

It's so, so anti-climactic.
Ha ha the old system actually did this when I entered Moria back in the spring. You had to take a beat up recovered weapon and restore it to its former glory.

But yes the mechanics of getting 100 of them and throwing them all in the trash is not super lore friendly.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Hello Sailor posted:

Anyone know what you're supposed to do if the LI change hosed up the "baby's first LI" quest chain you have to do to unlock Moria?

I got an old-system weapon and didn't level it up enough to do the "first reforge" quest. Now I have the new-system first reforge quest, the guy won't reforge my weapon (is there a character level requirement? I'm at 48), and the weapon itself no longer earns xp towards an old-system reforge (if such a thing is even still possible).

If the wiki is correct about the new LI system, I should be able to reforge as often as every character level, right?
Probably just need to hit lvl 50 and then try to reforge again. The next time i got the opportunity was at lvl 56.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

If any of you guys need/want to run dungeons I've got a lvl 130 minstrel and am typically on every day. (Fitzgig on Landroval)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Would you be willing to drop down to Sarnur sometime and help me finish the quests I can't solo?
Yep, as long as our schedules line up. My game time is usually between 8-11 EST.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TulliusCicero posted:

How is the Brawler class? Never played this before, but honestly a punchy class that's NOT an Eastern monk in an mmo seems pretty cool tbh
From what i can tell people are enjoying it through the midgame, but I'm not sure if it's found a specific home as tank or DPS at the endgame.

boho posted:

I played this game a couple days ago for the first time and already like it way better than FFXIV because I’m a broke-brained contrarian. That and they totally ruined Summoner. I missed the free quest pack and cheap expansions so gently caress me I guess.

So anyway exactly how putrid is Runekeeper? Literally unplayable? Slated for buffs? Bad enough to be denied a DPS spot in a raid?
RK is fine. They aren't the best at DPS or healing, but can hold their own just fine on either front for most (if not all) content. Treebeard is pretty low pop so if people are planning raids then they probably won't have the luxury of being picky.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Lum_ posted:

Well, this is just some bullshit

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?&postid=8118189#post8118189

Unless they radically expand in-game sources for Embers, this basically makes endgame gear Pay2Win.
Was anyone even asking for this? I'd hate for the game to go belly up, but ignoring the community in perpetuity and hitching your wagon to this kinda stuff is a potent combo.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

TBH, a lot of what they're talking about here, they make it sound like they're cracking some major design problem. This is how WoW handled various token currencies for years.

Tokens are bad luck protection, and when the next tier of content comes out, the top end becomes the lower tier. This isn't new at all.

Really the problem here is that crap you buy from the store (basically) is used to give top end gear.

And the figments change just seems like a "gently caress you" to cosmetic collectors. Glad that's not me!

https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?692005-Changes-to-Motes-Ember-Figments/page11&p=8118755#post8118755
Thanks, that makes sense. They should have worded it differently to begin with - like saying "the primary source of embers will be endgame content*

*or also lootboxes

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

:nice:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I mean if you have to get your money's worth you could try rolling a hunter and just doing story quests on a regular server.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

There's a lotro frontpage?

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cutedge posted:

I had to ask in world where the button for it was hiding. I'd say it's kind of shocking that they would make a new system and basically make it nearly unfindable but, you know, LOTRO
Not to nitpick, but it is literally in the patch notes you linked. :D

The reward track works pretty well, although at this point it feels like an overcorrect if you've already been working on LI traceries for months. Now I'm completely overflowing with traceries and ancient script that I don't really want because it would mean grinding a ton of runes to level them up to 475. Can use them on alt I guess. :)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

But excess traceries => more scripts => more runes though, yeah?

I know that's not the most efficient use of runes, but if you're literally overflowing, is there a reason not to?
Maybe - although it could be a mechanic i'm not aware of. I'm just saying I don't have the desire to replace a level 475 purple with a level 450 teal because I'd have to spend hours getting enhancement runes for a very minimal gain.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

xZAOx posted:

It doesn't de-level your tracery. Putting in a higher level tracery (say, a 450 into a slot you only have leveled to 415) will bump it to 450, but it won't de-level one. The level is tied to the slot, not the tracery.
Oh! Good to know, thanks.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Cimber posted:

Holy poo poo is there a _lot_ of stuff that was level 55. Stories about the witchking that were amazing that I never saw. Whole regions were just empty. I soloed a bunch of that stuff for a long time just to read the story, and it was amazing.
The lore is great. I just found out last week that Arador's End in the PvMP zone is named after Aragorn's grandfather. :O

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Kaysette posted:

oops i forgot i need to learn the new LI system before using my 130 LM, is everything i need still in rivendell?

i looked over this guide but i feel like my sense of the meta or what traits do/don't suck is very rusty
My opinion would be to wait until level 131 to open your tracery boxes. That way they will be item level 450 instead of 400 and you can save a bunch of level up runes.

Oh and I use the guides over on this site to figure out what traceries to get:
https://lotrohq.com/red-hunter/

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sankis posted:

edit: is there a way to look up everything ive bought in the past whether it be expansions or other items
Yep, your expansion purchases should be on https://myaccount.standingstonegames.com

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I think my captain has about 15 million ixp worth of runes from the old system too. I don't suppose those serve any purpose now?
If you're talking about the blue heritage runes, they are VERY useful. Right click on them (or alt+right click to consume a stack) and it will advance the Reward Track (similar to the "seasons" of other F2P games). Then hit Shift+I to claim your rewards. No need to go over level 100 though, because after that it just repeats ancient script boxes, and by then you will have surely hit the cap for ancient script.

quote:

I'll probably never use the alt but figured I'd make it because hey why not, free level 120 character (who lacks poo poo like Fast Travel because no VIP so go hunter or RIP).
Just use a couple mithril coins to unlock travel to some of the main towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

SettingSun posted:

I used the 120 valar boost I was given and I was bombarded with a dizzying amount of unfamiliar things at once. Now I'm thinking a start from scratch and learn all this one step at a time.
Either that or ask myself or someone on discord to walk you through it.

The main reason to be 120 is that it gets you closer max level for groups/raids. If you don't care about grouping and just want to experience the story, starting over would be good for that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Apparently I can't use the large ones yet because they're level-locked to 130 or 140. :rip:
That's normal. I have like 300 still, just waiting for the reward track reset to cash em out.

TheHoosier posted:

I haven’t played this since Rohan, but had fun playing a Warden with goons on Silverlode. the changes sound cool, and this game was always a fun chill experience. If I were to start playing again, what are some things I would absolutely need to know or do?

I’d ideally play Warden again unless they’re nerfed into the ground
If you're starting a new char, the game will tell you how to play it. Before the latest patch, there were a few trips + tricks to get the most out of the F2P system, but it's not really necessary any more. Any class is viable at end game, because this game doesn't really require min-maxing, so play what you want.

As some have said, just don't use items with "Valar" in the name if you don't want to be instantly leveled up. :)