Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dukat had redeeming qualities.

Though Romney'd get my vote if he calls up someone at 4 in the morning just to say "Hey, I hosed your mom :smug:."

blowfish posted:

hahaha lol holy gently caress

it's amazing how star trek attracts pedos and/or otherwise broken people more than other scifi shows

I have a theory Voyager fans are the worst because there is seriously a loving character that's like 5 years old or something that fucks the crew, including a plad wearing children's show mascot reject.

Actually writing that makes me glad I hate that loving show, I've only made it through one episode in it's entirety and I was waiting for it to end.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

he does ds9s moral ambiguity thing real well. he was a liberal softie by cardassian occupier standards but was still, you know, a cardassian occupier

also big ups to ds9 being the last major tv show to ever be like "yeah the good guys were terrorists who killed civilians and noncombatants and were also in the right"

I have to admit I always find that absolutely hilarious.

They would never call a main character a terrorist today, even if that's exactly what they were. And not only that, have them unapologetic of it....

... and then the series ends with terrorism kind of saving the day. Sometimes I think DS9 is nothing but a dark satire of Star Trek, and I'm OK with that.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 23, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

voyager commits the double mega sin of 1) squandering all the potential of its premise

I think that's why I hate it so much. It's not just that it was a bad show, it was a bad show with a neat idea behind it that could have been good, thus the backlash is stronger.

I shalt dub this: The Pixels Effect.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The Bible posted:

He doesn't need to actually have the tech to know that stopping an object in motion requires equal force applied to said object.

A chunk of iron moving a 1/4 of C is going to require a shitload of energy to stop. This is really pretty basic physics.

Well the way I always pictured shields working in anything sci-fi that has shields is NOT stopping the object or attack. Very few things have bullets bounce off shields, for example. Instead the shield flares up where it's being hit and destroys what is attacking. So if you shoot a missile at a ship with a shield, the missile hits the shield, the shield burns super intense in the spot it's hit and the missile detonates as it's ripped apart.

The fact that the ships always shake and systems get damaged when shields are still up in almost every sci-fi thing ever makes it seem even more plausible and it's a hell of a lot easier to obliterate something than to kill it's momentum. I'm sure there's exceptions to this but it works for most things.

ED: This might also justify why ramming attacks are such TOTAL KILLSHOTS in these universe; if you ram another ship you're projecting your death-bubble into it. It also explains why non-threats can move through the shields, since it's not like a solid bubble of material.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Star Wars isn't even modern carrier warfare, it's WW2 air combat. Modern carrier warfare would have airborne radar planes and mostly missile fire from way the heck away.

EDIT: this isn't a criticism in the slightest, it's just that even when Star Wars first came out, its visual metaphor was just as anachronistic as the submarine/destroyer duel in Star Trek's Balance of Terror.

I almost want someone to make a hard-sci space combat movie because it would literally consist of people sitting on a computer and pressing a button, hearing a little bleep as the only feedback, waiting several hours, then hearing another little bleep if it missed or hit. And if what you're firing hits the other guy just explodes.

In other words the most boring thing ever devised unless your sci-fi thing is very much not set around combat.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 27, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

TMP is the Trekkiest of the movies. It's a pity it's also boring.

DId anyone ever fan-edit trim out like an hour of the run time?

I always TMP had a good movie buried in there, but the director wanted to make a 2001 fan film instead

ED: Also you know what? I'm going to say it, 2001 is way overrated. When I first saw it, I turned on JUST as they were getting to Hal. That part of the movie is awesome as it's own thing. gently caress the space baby and gently caress 10 minutes of watching a ship go from left to right. I know, it's trying for high art and many will probably insist I'm an idiot for saying it's not, but I see zero artistic reason to hold... shots... forever... when they don't really even have any meaning beyond "This ship goes from the right to left of your screen. Enjoy."

Honestly if NOT for the Hal part I have a feeling this thing would be way less of a cult classic and virtually unknown to the public. It's really like a different film abruptly starts in the middle. When people talk about the movie they either jump to Hal or the Monolith, and rarely do they go "Oh boy, that 5 minutes montage of landscapes was riveting!"

I almost wish there was a fan-edit (speaking of fan-edits) that broke it into two films: 2001: A Screensaver Begins with the Hal part entirely cut around to just go straight to the space baby, and 2001: Hal edition which begins in the middle and ends before the space baby. I bet they would be nearly unrecognizable from each other.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 27, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Omi-Polari posted:

Speaking of screwed up Star Trek fans, remember the story about the German cannibal and the guy he met over the Internet who wanted to be eaten?

I think my favorite part is how he literally got thrown in with the leftovers.

Holy loving poo poo that story still creeps me out.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

I think I'd have never even liked star trek if I had to sit through that before watching each episode.

The brief HBO lintro does make me want an R rated, highly serialized sci-fi show. Come on HBO, make something.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Universe Master posted:

Showtime forced some topless scenes into the first episode of Stargate because it's paid cable and people pay for tits.

I remember this was straight out of left field too, because the whole thing felt PG-13 (and would become PG-13) and then BAM! Surprise tits!

Kitchner posted:

Thing is these days intros don't bother me as I never watch poo poo on TV so I can just skip it. Game of Thrones has a great intro but I watch it at the start of the season to see if it's changed and then skip it.

The song is so catchy I usually kick the show on a minute before my girlfriend's back at the TV. The fact the intro has gotten far longer with more and more places showing up on the board is kind of awesome. Same reason I've probably watched the Daredevil intro a bunch.

In all seriousness, I think shows could have been much better if serialization was a thing in the past. 99% of the trash in a franchise like Star Trek is due to the fact a reset button is hammered every week and there's not generally time to reach a satisfying conclusion in 40 minutes.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 30, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

shadow puppet of a posted:

"Game of Thrones with Robots"

Order me 13 episodes

Entropic posted:

You mean Battlestar Galactica?

That show was so good, until it wasn't.

I kind of wish the last season didn't happen. I'd say "just a finale episode" but the finale was the worst ever. The mutiny two parter was the only thing of value, at all.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

that just means star trek is more likely to die permanently as a franchise, b/c the whole steadily rising blockbuster costs/increasingly intense risk aversion thing hollywood's grappling with is GREAT for people who love iron man enoguh to see 6 iron mans and not much else

It needs a netflix series. It's the best home for it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Monkey Fracas posted:

2nd episode:

Killing your own clone is still murder!

lol this is great

I love it

Which is kind of hilarious because I think the TNG crew murdered the gently caress out of their own clones a few times.

Monkey Fracas posted:

First ep of DS9 was good, balanced introducing characters and setting up the show with some 5th dimensional weird poo poo

Awesome

If it's your first watch I'll say this: The first season has a lot of eps that feel like you could just rename them and stick them on TNG; the 2nd season has less of these, and the 3rd season almost abolishes them. After that, it's really it's own thing with a firm identify of it's own.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

i'd say that ds9 didn't "find its feet" overall tone-wise until the ~third season by the standards ds9 is usually held to, sure, but on rewatching it now im surprised at how strong a showing it has out the gate. tng had no idea what it was trying to do for the first season and the second is still very shaky, whereas ds9 is way more confident with the material. eps like Run Along Home might not have been what the series became about but its still a far better and more confident showing than any of tng's first season stuff. like, duet, holy fuckin poo poo is that some excellent star trek, and its one of the very first clear characterizations of the bajoran occupation in the entire series

i say to people, start TNG with the pilot then skip straight to season two, but ds9 i say to just watch the whole dang thing

He's not wrong though, it's worth going from season 1 up (even with a few early misfires) because while it's mixing in TNG stuff, it ALSO is builting the mythology that impacts the rest of the series. If you skip anything.. just skip Move Along Home. All the Bajorian stuff and the major players there get established all the way back in Season 1 including, as mentioned, Garak.

... By the way, I am impressed Garak stayed awesome right until the end. Usually characters like that get overplayed when they get ramped up, and when their mysterious questions are answered, they're disappointing. Everything they answered (or didn't answer) about Garak lived up to expectations and the more he was in the show, the more awesome he got.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 5, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

I can save multiple lives by taking someone alive today and harvesting their organs. Do I?

First question: Do you like them very much?

The Bible posted:

Eh, I was actually comparing one of the worst episodes of 90's Trek to the entirety of 60's Trek and noting that it is still considerably better by far.

The same goes for that Lizard sex episode of Voyager. Total garbage even by Voyager standards, but still immeasurably superior to even the best TOS episode.

See I can get behind Move Along Home being a 60s episode. In fact, as a kid, it's one of the few episodes of DS9 I saw and I really remembered all Quark's parts, so while the episode is poo poo, I still consider most of what happens in the bar kind of redeeming (including Quark's strategy and character development). Honestly the whole thing is hard not to watch with kind of a doofy "What the gently caress is this?" half-smile rather than "This is loving painful!" disdain.

..... The lizard sex episode by contrast is one of the very, very few Voyager episodes I've seen and Goddamn it is the dumbest thing I've ever seen in my life. That wouldn't have flown in the 60s. Or the 70s, or 80s. It's a 40 minute long combo of poo poo and not a single thing made any sense about it.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 9, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow posted:

If the wormhole aliens gave such a flying donkey dick about the Bajorans (according to the Bajorans) why did they let the Cardassian occupation take place without any intervention? Why intervene for the Dominion War?

It's hinted they can see the long picture on such a scale that they allowed it to happen to ultimately put Bajor in a better place. Bajor's religion around them is largely misguided in structure.

There was an episode where some guy came from before the occupation and he immediately wanted to start a new caste system and throw out progress they only made because of the occupation, for example. In other words they'd be some backwater that wouldn't matter to the universe and would be content living in some odd techno dark age until the end of time if not for getting their rear end kicked, probably fighting religious wars.

Basically think about it like the plot of Watchmen, except there was a true greater enemy that dragged them all together.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

Lol at the idea you could genetically engineer a race to never rebel and leave it at that.

It's showed pretty clearly the programming isn't enough, like several times.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Jem'Hadar are most hilarious in one way: The fact that there was an episode that suggests they can't be put in stasis, and it's very clear that the Federation has captured very, very little white.

Which means the Federation, refusing to slaughter beaten people in combat, instead would put these people in a prison to lose their minds, turn into insane animals, and die screaming. It'd seriously been better to have just shot them. Of course, the show never addresses this and just keeps talking prisoners, with these guys.

I could see them being horrified of facing Federation troops because of that. At least the other races would just end it.

Zigmidge posted:

It's like watching a dozen Kai winns argue with dukat in here.

I almost feel bad for her actress because she nailed being a holier-than-thou extreme right wing rear end in a top hat so well I think people legitimately hated her (not just in the way they were supposed to hate her).

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 23, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

So what we are saying is that Garak would have had a Tumblr account?

He strikes me at the type to go out and do something rather than whine about other people being mean, so no

MikeJF posted:

He presumably pretended pretty well to his still-wife then.

(That girl that visits old Jake in The Visitor was his daughter)

He's still married as far as I know, so...

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 25, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Soong specifically said that Lore was too real and creeped people out. His solution to make Data less creepy was specifically to prevent him from using contractions. Also to make him not a psychopath, but mostly the contracting. That video is hilarious though, lol at 80s quality control.

"To keep people from thinking of you as too creepy, we made you into an albino autistic grammar nazi."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Disco Infiva posted:

So now that I've finished TNG, I'm jumping straight into the mess called Voyager. Wish me luck!

P.S. B'elanna is hotter than I remember.

You should have jumped straight to DS9 instead.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Harveygod posted:

Just watch "The Magnificent Ferengi" until you depart this mortal coil.

I think has one of the sincerely funniest endings of any Trek series, and mostly because holy poo poo did it get darker than Trek usually would go. Which was hilarious.

Also the fact there was a payoff for that douche Vorta. Just when you thought he'd smugly got away with it, they drag him into that episode.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 30, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nondescript Van posted:

I watched the first 6 or so episodes of DS9 and found it boring as poo poo so I skipped it. Does it get better?

Yes. There's some good stuff in season 1 so it's not worth skipping but it progressively gets better and really hits it's stride about the third season. But they do build off a lot of stuff from the first couple seasons.

Basically they didn't know what to do with the show quite off the bat, and made it TNG on a station. Once it really finds it's way, it gets pretty great.

Ambrose Burnside posted:

just did looking for par'mach in all the wrong places. the b-plot w/ obrien and kira realizing they wanna bang and grappling with that is actually real interesting, i dont thing star trek ever went near infidelity and weird unrequited feelings quite like that since or again

I was pretty surprised they went there to be honest. It was surprisingly well handled, too.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kitchner posted:

You're right though, even an average child would be much more intelligent than even smart people today.

In the future, the average child will be able to tech tech the phase inverted Newtonian ion multi-spectral flux scanner to output a static tachyon pulse as their school science project? He who technobabbles the most must have the highest IQ!

PS: I could never picture Jake running off with an alien space creep in his mind-expanding journey (probably in his starship version of a van)

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Entropic posted:

Eh, with no one dying from cars or guns any more, a couple thousand people a year dying horribly in holo-mishaps could be just seen as the acceptable cost of living in the modern world.

Yeah, tell me you wouldn't keep using a holodeck.

poo poo, if 1 out of a million Occulus Rift users heads explodes I might still do that.

Hasn't he literally claimed that in interview, backed by his fellow actors?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

W O M A N O F L O O S E M O R A L S

They should have just given her a ticket to Risa, she'd not only have fit right in, it'd been win/win for everyone. They get a new "tour guide" and she gets to bone people 24/7 365

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Dec 23, 2015

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

happyhippy posted:

Guess the DS9 episode: The Prophets do gently caress all, but Kira, Kai Winn, and everyone Bajaron praises them for saving the day.

Answer: EVERY loving EPISODE.

To be fair Kai Winn does it to exploit them for power, and they sing praises because of people like Kai Winn. The actual Prophets don't seem to give much of a gently caress about Bajorian politics so 99% of their religion is dogma built around something that just happens to be all powerful.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Watching DS9 for the first time. Up to season 3 and this is already the best.

Isn't it kind of sad the best thing in the franchise is the least known, and yet everyone knows Voyager? That show was so lovely I couldn't ever make it through a full episode, not that I tried much.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kesper North posted:

Her mirror trait is being totally narcissistic, to reflect the fact that Kira Prime is all about duty and doing what's right for Bajor and its people.

Two things about the mirror universe:

Mirror Kira is basically Dukat. I always found that kind of amusing and I don't know if it was intentional: The ego maniac that thinks she is "helping" the underlings while banging all of them and really only caring about herself. You could drop almost anything she says in Dukat's mouth and it'd work... that said we totally needed a mirror Dukat. A heroic version of him would have been entertaining as hell.

..and second, the actress playing Ezri trying to act like a badass was the most embarrassing thing on the whole show. Getting your rear end kicked by her is like getting your rear end kicked by Justin Beiber trying to impersonate a Chipmunk. That actress was really, really bad all the time though: She consistently came off as "I bet this is a nice person who has no idea what the gently caress is going on in this sci-fi show and is confused as all hell."

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 7, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Pumroy posted:

and bajoran flags are that holy symbol they all wear on their ear so they are crazy religious and patriotic like if every american had a flag pin on their lapel.

now that i think about it it is kind of insane how uniform they are following one religion lime that. i mean they all have the ear things

I don't know a lot more people might be seriously religious if there were a bunch of God artifacts laying around that would you travel in time and poo poo that the Vatican kept in their museum.

It'd be kind of like "Oh, not religious? Well I've got Moses staff right here, let me part an ocean to shut you the gently caress up."

ED: Also they mention at one point that they were falling away from being a religious people until the whole occupation thing, which brought it back in spades.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ambrose Burnside posted:

remember how the federation sent a probable tens of thousands of civilians to their completely unnecessary deaths at wolf 359 cause nobody ever bothered to separate the saucer section before combat after, like, the first episode

And DS9 wins again because when they blew up a Galaxy, they made a point to bring up off-loading the civilians before going into a fight.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Clark Nova posted:

Ugh, that is probably my least favorite DS9 episode. Almost nothing at all happens aside from Odo being a mopey sadsack friendzone forever-alone dweeb the entire goddamn show.

I thought that was hilarious, Odo is the gooniest of goons.

Dude nearly screwed the entire universe to get goo-laid for crying out loud. He also murders an entire civilization for her and sees that as just fine.

Then he finally gets the girl and bails.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Typical Pubbie posted:

Robot Jox is never quite as good as you want it to be. Still a fun movie.

I was with it up until they launched into space to have a space battle for a shameless Star Wars cash-in, then came back down and resumed the movie proper, it was so hilarious.

Then the ultimate brofist ending. Man. That really belongs with the Rocky ending the Cold War of cinematic endings. Nothing but amazing, with the evil Russian madman going "Eh gently caress it, thumbs up dude."

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The sci-fi era cast was 90s as gently caress, the original cast could have been in the 80s.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

I sincerely think Robot Jox is a better, more watchable movie than loving Pacific Rim. That poo poo was stupid and I love giant robots and godzilla movies so its kinda weird.

It's because down deep anyone watching robot movies in the US wants a BattleTech movie with walking tanks and military hardware, that are all slow and clunky as poo poo. And Pacific Rim robots kung fu fight.

Really kind odd because the closest thing we've ever gotten to a "big clunky robot" movie is RobotJox. Every other giant robot is either anime like massively super ninja (i.e. Transformers with robots back flipping over missiles like Neo).

Hector Beerlioz posted:

He went without alien makeup in the Atlas Shrugged films.

I seriously hope down deep he took that role just for the hilarity of sticking Quark in an Atlas Shrugged movie.

It's a tragedy he didn't go on about the virtues of the "Smartest hooman Ayn Rand" at some point.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DarkMalfunction posted:

In that DS9 episode where they all dress up as Klingons and kill changeling-Martok, apparently Colm Meaney complained so much about being in prosthetics that Michael Dorn requested Colm never wore any again.

You could tell he hated it, because he made the doofiest looking Klingon in the franchises history.

Actually it made it way more hilarious because the fact he looked like he utterly hated it kind of fit the story too, so it wasn't even really a downside.

ED: I also loved how that episode was an excuse for Avery Brooks to go from his normal 11 to like a 20. The other end of the spectrum, that was an actor who really dug playing a Klingon, I would be quite surprised if he wasn't having a blast just going so far over the top he made Shatner look underacting.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jan 10, 2016

• Locked thread