Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

BitBasher posted:

I completed the combat tutorials and passed them easily

I doubt you passed That Last One with Sidewinder vs waves of Everything, let alone easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Look I cannot be the only guy thinking "Dual C4 Fixed Beams on the fCorv will rape so much face".

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Coding is hard and takes time.

But seriously gently caress the SRV gunpowder fuel thing.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Will the update bring a Sanic iClipper Renaissance? Because I sure think my Sanic iClipper will be making a comeback!

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Literally Kermit posted:

- The radio chatter and the Traffic Controllers add a LOT to stations now. Your callsign (the manufacturer of your ship and the first three letters of your CMDR name, so me in an AspE is "Lakon Kilo Echo Romeo") comes off seamlessly, as well as your pad number. Even the automated controllers wish you well when you leave their airspace

- Advance Thrusters own on an Imperial Courier, but any weight becomes your enemy. Even a slightly weighed down Courier can barrel-roll into a mailslot before a scan completes. I can't wait to try and make a smuggler's Adder

- Missiles got a re-tweak, and size-2 dumbfires hold 60 ammo.

:tviv: :vince:

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 10, 2016

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Astroniomix posted:

You'll have to point them out to me because I have never seen them.

IAmTheRad posted:

Of course you don't see them when they are retracted

lol if you haven't stationcamped while copmurdering

Also I keep finding tiny rock moons with "Candidate for terraforming" even one with no atmosphere :psyduck:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panch posted:

I should like this game. In every other stupid space game I can enjoy simply the idea that I'm doing things that make some vague contextual sense. Something in Elite just destroys even that enjoyment from immersion.

I don't mean to be a shitter, I get that I'm probably doing all the boring roles (exploration, trading, eventually mining) but it just feels so incredibly onerous to make progress in Elite. I don't have the time or inclination to get the resources and experience to play in Open against folks far better equipped and skilled who want to knock over my sandcastle.

Should I just quit while I'm ahead in my type 6 in solo? :<

Edit: I should say, I enjoyed the game up to my type 6. That progression felt fairly fluid and sensible. Every trade route felt like meaningful progress. Now I'm hovering at a loaded type 6 worth ~2 million and another 8 million in liquid credits and God drat if the type 7 doesn't feel pipe dream/ quit-this-grind levels of unreachable. This is the only boring trade game that makes me feel like this, and I'm the type of gamer that can dump a hundred hours in Truck Sim.

Robigo runs will annihilate the Type 7 grind and make the Elite grind... almost sane.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Panch posted:

Do they still exist? I thought I had read a Reddit post that those missions had gone away, but I had no context. They seemed like something I would very much enjoy in terms of challenge (even with weird bullshit AI things) but I wasn't sure if I had the resources to jump into it. God if that doesn't feel like everything I want to do, though. It feels like to be good at any one role, you need to have 100mil in capital.

I get that's not entirely true, but I sure feel poor when I think of what I'd like to buy/do.

I've been having the spacemadness so I haven't done it in a while but I keep hearing things like "wow this new patch is going to make Robigo even more ridiculous" and I easily started doing Robigo runs in a :420:Cobra III:420: and highly suggest it as a starter.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Anyone get interdicted by Thargoids yet?

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I admit the call of the gofast upgraded iggle/icourier almost makes me want to come back from my trip of "scan all of the Neutron stars between these two nebula. ALL OF THEM."

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ciaphas posted:

jesus tittyfucking christ coming out of warp is loving fear factor 11 in VR :cry:

I am looking forward to experiencing a canopy blowout in VR, and so should you.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, check the thread in PGS.

I just made like 1.5mcr from destroying one base's power generator, spread across four missions that all wanted the same drat thing. Makes mining in my Cobra 4 seem kind of pathetic in comparison, money wise

Yeah, it's the damndest thing that missions seem to actually give decent pay now, Diamond Frogs have given me multiple 1+million credit missions almost every refresh lately.

When I started the best paying missions were 250,000 credits to kill an Elite Anaconda Pirate Lord who could tank your Viper III uphill through the snow both ways :corsair:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I may have mentioned it before but oh my god gently caress SPECIALIZED LEGACY FIRMWARE

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Tabletops posted:

still havent found one of those.

thankfully I ranked up elvira to 4 so I wont need to I think! I can just roll rank 4 if i have materials right?

No, to get Level 4/5 Dirty Drive Tuning you need to grind up a completely different exploration guy who only does FSD tinkering to 3 :suicide:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Tippis posted:

<vent>

I would just like the record to show that Polonium needs to go die a fire, and then the fire needs to go die in a pond, and then the pond needs to be nuked from orbit.

</vent>

I still find Polonium more often than Specialized Legacy Firmware :shepicide:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Arach posted:

Patch Notes (cont...) (2/3)
- When hyperspacing to a star with jet cones, avoid potential danger regions at the poles

I have a strange desire to take CMDR Struggle Snuggle back out into the yawning abyss.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Krycek posted:

Looks like draco is out of civil war. :rip:

I'm still getting 12mill missions from the board :shrug:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Herb Dington posted:

last time the war dropped a few days ago, some missions persisted for a little while after.

Looks like it was that, I got four missions right before posting that, and immediately stopped getting any more, sorry.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I heard Kirk beat it, but he cheated...

Seriously though, the combat tutorial is impossible. Just jump into the game: worst thing that happens is you die and respawn in the same ship! :black101:

I almost beat the current one once, but I don't have enough brain damage to keep trying it. Just not worth it.

And I definitely beat the old one back when the game was in open beta.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Krycek posted:

I use mines. Park directly over the skimmers, about 130m up. Drop mine and start logging off when it's about half to the surface. The mine will get all 6 skimmers, missiles only ever killed 3-4 per shot.

I've gotten all six skimmers with a single Class 2 dumbfire before. It's just not reliable.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

Well considering we've had 2.0 for a year and we're on 2.2 now that would mean walking around in approximately 1-2 years.

Seems plausible if they import the Planet Coaster tech. The next question nobody is asking is: then what do we do apart from stare at our space toilets?

If we can interact with crew then we make highly rendered but low writing quality machinima and/or inappropriate toilet dancing.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Turmoil posted:

I decided to head back to 17 Draconis to get back over a billion before heading home and it's now giving me 100 credit bounties for killing the skimmers.
I don't know how I'll pay that 8,400 credit fine when I get back to the station.

Edit: My rep with the locals dropped from friendly to cordial and I'm wanted with an 8,400 credit bounty.

I just suicide back to the station now, it saves time since you will probably get blown up by it anyways.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
I myself never got over the "I have illegal cargo TIME TO RUN HOT FAST AND SILENT" mentality that Robigo gave me in regards to docking. It helps that I really enjoy flying hot and fast.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Decided to unlock Palin, as such I had to go visit Sirius to get the invitation for goddamned Qwent aaand... I can't get anything there because that's how Lockdown state on the controlling faction works apparently, everyone gets hosed.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Now I just hope it goes on sale.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

Lol if you aren't using Galcop decals in every slot.

I will not apologize for spaceweed decals in the "balls" slots with Galcop in the shaft position.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TorakFade posted:

A tough mission like an Elite Pirate Lord in a souped up Battleconda should net you at the very least 10-20 millions, more if you're friendly or allied.

I remember when doing this got me 300k per mission in my ViperIII, and I was glad for it at the time.

Now I turn down skimmer missions during 17 Draconis stacking runs if they don't pay at least 2.5 million.

This game sure has changed.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

jnnnnn posted:

A-grade sensors on a big ship weigh 128 tonnes, which reduces an Anaconda's jump range by 20% over D-rated ones. The increased mass also hurts turn rates, shield strength, and top speed.

There's no excuse for such stupid numbers though:
The 2.5 tonne A-grade sensors on an Eagle have a typical range of 6.2km;
The 128 tonne A-grade sensors on an Anaconda have a typical range of 7.6km.

I was always told that Shields only count the base Hull mass, not extra internal mass. Coriolis and other similar ship fitting tools always seemed to not give a gently caress about anything else either, back when I used them.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Sirius is in eternal lockdown and I can't get the goddamned loving Marco Qwent invite because literally nobody in that system is giving missions HOLY poo poo loving GODDAMN :goonsay: :frontear:

I ended up unlocking Selene Jean instead after a few hours of loving around doing missions for DF in Xihe, that's how bad it is. I mined 500 tonnes of poo poo and 10 Painite and it was easier than just getting an invite from Marco Qwent.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

TomR posted:

They aren't exploits, they are gold rushes and should be treated as such.

edit: I've been doing this poo poo since Unicorn runs and I agree.

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jan 8, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

The Marco Qwent invite will take 2-3 days of mission board scumming before it spawns.

That's not a joke.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/185045332676252742/6B88CCDF4D7052F9340B235F6D4A0EF5A349C90A/

:unsmigghh:

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

sincx posted:

I miss Robigo. My record was something like 100m credits over 2 hours.

I miss Robigo if only for the novelty of watching ~10 or so Fed Security/Pirates all fly past me at once into the gravity well of a star, it was :frontear: as gently caress, but minus the backing up out of the star part.

edit: I am starting to think there is something actively sinister manipulating the RNG for Marco Qwent related activities.

Not that I mind killing animes in space, but seriously, of all the NPC's in the game to get hired to fight me? And during my final mission for Marco Qwent grinding? Is MECHA MAID the B Team or something?

Groggy nard fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jan 9, 2017

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?
Thank you Adblock Plus for Right Click-> Block element

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Lima posted:

Visited VY Canis Majoris recently. Obligatory comparison to the Sun:

(spoiler: hypergiants are p big!)

Visiting all of those Super/Hyper Giants in the star comparison youtube is likely my next space madness target.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Last patched fixed it so that is always safe.

That doesn't stop my rear end in a top hat from clenching in reflexive "OH poo poo" every time it happens.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Zest posted:

Well, there's that too. GBS or bug, same difference, station stock can swing wildly and erratically. Just keep looking :shobon:

I think you missed the joke.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

DancingShade posted:

It's funny how the game spawns pirates based on the worth of what you're flying.

In my DBS? An eagle threatens you. Who cares what combat rank it is, it's an eagle and therefore a clay pigeon.

In my python? Angry anaconda. Too much effort in a mission runner, I'll just boost and leave.

Not gonna lie, NPC's haven't been able to pull my FCorv out of Supercruise for a couple updates, so I don't know what is coming after me anymore.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Turmoil posted:

Oh, so you've traveled hundreds of light-years for 4 modular terminals?

This but I have no cargo.

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

tooterfish posted:

Just get a clipper, and swagger past the small stations like the peasants they are.

You don't need those fuckos anyway, you're an aristocrat.

Seconding this, because the bigger Gutamaya ships are the ships of choice for Merchants with means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

3. Get a bunch of those by board scumming, which is the tried and true method of exploitation for making actual money instead of the pittance the developers intended, which consists of: Check the board in open and solo, wait 10-15 minutes, repeat. Bring a book.

My current favorite to read while doing this is the Lies of Locke Lamora series, which is all about a few old world confidence schemers. Sorta like a more violent Oceans Eleven where the cast swears almost as much as Kermit.

It does not speak well of FDevs' mission system, but it could also be worse.

• Locked thread