Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Reds posted:

Anybody got any good world-building shows? A lot of shows have interesting settings but never really reach beyond what's going on in front of the main characters's faces at any given point. Whether it's a good old fashioned adventure or just a show that likes to talk about its world a lot, that's the sort of thing I'd like to see. I've watched quite a lot of anime so I might have already watched most of the good examples, but any recommendations are appreciated.
Seen Kaiba yet, by any chance?

Reds posted:

Yeah, I watched Chaika while it was airing, that first fight with Nikolas (I think that was his name, the guy with the large sword) is a standout fight.

The adaptation of a different book by the same author as with Chaika, Scrapped Princess does some interesting world-building, with another slightly unorthodox interpretation of the generic (fantasy medieval Europe with magic and insane(?) gods and etc) setting.

Comedy suggestion: Kuuchuu Buranko a.k.a. Trapeze... It's exactly like Iron Chef, only not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm already this far into it so I'm going to finish it just to see where it goes, but as it stands, it's not a great series

Once the author runs out of ideas for ways to inflict misery and failure, the narrative goes off the rails... but not in a good bizarre way, just mediocre and stupid.

For a bonus game after you finish the series, figure out how many characters are actually relevant to the overall plot. (Yes, there is eventually some kind of plot; it just doesn't make any sense.)

Can't remember exactly but I think the answer is zero. The trainwreck of driving conflicts resolves itself in the most boring/contrived way possible, without any intervention from any of the cast. Nobody ever accomplishes anything meaningful and that recurring datachip/AI red-herring turns out to be an exposition dump.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Oct 26, 2015

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Anybody remember an anime film taking place on a desert planet, with giant sandborne battlecruisers? There's some kind of weird conspiracy that involves people involuntarily(?) spying on military personnel---I think aliens were involved. The finale has robosuits, flying saucers and some sort of time ticking bomb, iirc. That was an example of a dumb* but fun and watchable 90s anime movie.

I wanted to say it was Venus Wars but that's not it.

--
*May have been very dumb, don't quite remember.
Taking a wild guess near the top of the list here...

Big Wars?

Never seen it but: from 1993 and with that preview image... :v:

(and the tags also include mecha/powersuit and "space opera" so there's that)

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

*I'm all ears for any other anime featuring armored vehicles in desert environments
Best tank anime is Those Who Hunt Elves, but I guess there's also Ozma?

And Starship Troopers

The Colonel posted:

i've never seen coppelion referred to as anything but hilariously mediocre
Drinking Game: get a nuclear engineer to watch Coppelion. Every time they facepalm and/or give up on humanity, take a shot.

Normally I'd give soft-scifi a DGAF waiver on the superhuman ignorance about medicine and radiation on account of artistic license or drama or whatnot... except in a show about hazmat workers in an enchanted nuclear waste dump where even the basic laws of chemistry/physics don't apply, which consistently contradicts its own arbitrary rules every five minutes.

"That is not how breathing works!"

"Behold! A B-2 stealth bomber cargo plane that thinks it's an attack helicopter!"

While I'm grateful for there being zero shower scenes, making "magical instantaneous decontamination" a free action invalidates the whole premise by the middle of the first episode.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The Hundred Stories is pretty cool as far as horror goes, although sometimes I think I only recommend it because I'm the only person who's ever seen it

Just to bug you I'm gonna start randomly interjecting "Mataichi-san!" in posts from now on.

But if we're considering things everyone should see: A Page of Madness (1926)

...also known as A Page Out Of Order or Crazy Page or Kurutta Ippeiji...

Is a silent film and predates anime by decades, but both of those actually make it more of a surreal brainfuck

unstucker posted:

Can you recomend me horror anime? Something bloody like Higurashi no naku koro ni or umineko no naku koro ni.
If you want blood there is Elfen Lied, or for chunky gore (and more comedy / less nudity) Brynhildr

For horror manga, Franken Fran has the weirdest philosophical tangents.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 5, 2018

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Unmature posted:

Looking for anime/manga with that Shin Megami Tensei feel. Kinda cyberpunk with some occult or dreadful elements. I know about Lain.

Abara, NOiSE, or basically anything else written by Tsutomu Nihei

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

Shows with cats. Give me all the cats. Cute cats, fat cats, kit kats I dont care.

Nekojiru-sou if you can handle surreal weirdness.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

thats drown or drown.

comedy option: Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Rianlee posted:

I am looking for anime that deals with the supernatural; think along the lines of Mushi-shi or Witch Hunter Robin. Preferably something that came out within the last ten tears? No underaged characters or pandering please.

The word 'pandering' can mean many things, but given the context I'm gonna guess you're referring to Standard Anime Fanservice Nonsense because that narrows things down a bit.

Jinrui wa suitai shimashita a.k.a. Humanity Has Declined - extremely slice of life, somewhat social commentary/satire. Protagonist is a teenage humanoid but I don't recall any ecchi bullshit. (Can't guarantee there is none, but if there is it didn't register at all.)
Kyougoku Natsuhiko: Kousetsu Hyaku Monogatari a.k.a. Requiem from the Darkness - wandering writer collects tales of Japanese folklore by blundering into them. 2003 but obscure so you might not have seen it.
Ergo Proxy - post-climate-apocalypse cyberpunk odyssey with a side of dead artificial gods.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also check out the total Alien knockoff that is Lily C.A.T.
:yeah:

Also maybe Mind Game because while it's generally lacking in tits/explosions/gore it does get extremely stupid and surreal at times.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

TheLawinator posted:

Weird ask but are there more shows with a similar visual style to monogatari and nisekoi? Like is that a studio based thing where they tend to have the same quirks?
You want stuff produced by Studio Shaft, or more specifically stuff directed by Shinbou Akiyuki

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei if you want cynical social commentary that doesn't take itself seriously, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica if you want to see what happens when Shinbou goes ham on a genre (e: and has an art budget :v:), SoulTaker if you want surreal shonen action, and for completeness sake there's Le Portrait de petit Cossette if soultaker wasn't trippy enough and Madoka wasn't creepy enough.

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 19, 2019

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Is there anything close to this out there?
Read Franken Fran if you want a full spectrum of indirect mind-bending horrors. At first you might think that the comedy makes the horror less disturbing, but you'd be wrong. :unsmigghh:

Torquemadras posted:

There's another notable one where I don't know the name; it took place in a village where people are starting to have murderous delusions, and there's multiple iterations with the same cast, each time someone else going mad. Turns out it's a time loop, and one character is aware of it and tries to break out (also, there's a ghost). Looked really cheap, too, but I appreciated how it kept hiding plot details and called back to them much later. I remember the ending being kinda TOO good overall, but hell, I suppose they've earned it. Can't find the title for the live of me, tho.
Higurashi?

silentsnack fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jul 15, 2019

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

MMania posted:

Konosuba and Re:Zero are the only isekai I can think of that (currently) don't have anyone that falls in love with the main character. They're both deconstructions of the genre though, I can't think of a 'straight' isekai that doesn't do that. Maybe Dog Days since it's stuck to just head-petting? Not that I keep up with the half dozen dumpster fires that have been coming out every season, though.

It recently occurred to me that Rayearth and Escaflowne were both proto-isekai, yet they would be pretty refreshing coming out today since they're not "a Japanese dude goes to an elves-and-orcs fantasy land and gets limitless power" stories.

Those Who Hunt Elves :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Turtlicious posted:

What's the anime where they're fighting giant bugs and it looks real old?

There are several(?) Starship Troopers adaptations/OAVs including one fittingly titled Uchuu no Senshi from 1988 which was done in a very 80s style, if that's what you mean.

I'm aware of the existence of Muv-Luv but can't remember if I've ever watched any of it so can't comment on the quality or visual style, but the title would be a place to start if you feel like googling it.

Also if that isn't enough giant bug splattering you could play one of the Earth Defense Force games and just make up your own cheesy dialogue.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

DamnGlitch posted:

Who’s got recommendations for:

Educational
Suitable for middle school students in a school setting.

My gf is considering starting a school anime club and is looking for recommendations that fit the above bill.

Off the top of my head, we’re thinkin silver spoon and shirobako.

If you want to educate US kids maybe go with Grave of the Fireflies, just make sure to point out to the kids "terror-bombing civilians and wiping out entire cities are just some of the horrific atrocities everyone just ignores when they celebrate nationalism every year"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

fluffyDeathbringer posted:

I've lately been getting into the "vaguely supernatural entity offers service X to chump of the week, chump of the week inevitably abuses service and gets hosed over for it" category. stuff like The Laughing Salesman and Monitoring Yami Site. any recs for stuff like that?

What you describe is exactly the premise of The Little Match Girl; I haven't seen the anime but at least the manga is fairly solid.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Telltolin posted:

I just finished Serial Experiments Lain and I'd love some more stuff like this. I've been on a 90s kick after finally getting around to watching NGE so bonus if it's from that or adjacent decades, but that's not a prerequisite. I dig how cerebral it is and the "high tech" feel that makes me feel like I just got a new tileable wallpaper, color scheme and animated cursor for my compaq

NOiSE and Blame! might as well be set in a near/distant future of Lain with the background premise of "the internet took over reality and hosed everything up so bad that non-technohellworld Earth is an ancient myth." I haven't seen the anime(?) adaptations so I can't say much beyond 'they exist' but given how poorly Sidonia was done I'd say read the mangas.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

NOiSE's manga volume is well and truly out of print and hard to find (and has no anime adaptation)

Is there a digital version? Because from what I can tell the thread rules say nothing and general ADTRW rules aren't explicit about cases where there is an official licensed release but it's completely unobtainable without a time machine and an IBN5100*, as to whether or not it's cool to discuss the possibility that there may or may not be ways to read something anyway.

*Which reminds me that Chaos;Head is also a thing, if one that requires a huge "mileage may vary" disclaimer.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

To be fair, 90% of the insane rambling cadence of the TM wiki is because of the poor grammar/translations from the article writers. Most of them don't have English as a first language to my knowledge.

The gratuitous use of Arbitrary Word Capitalization also makes it more difficult to parse and discern between Seriously Goofy Contrived Proper Noun Bullshit vs pointless random trivial idioms that just get capitalized Because Wiki Syntax Sucks.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Since I'm GMing the tabletop RPG Lancer, I was curious about 'mecha' anime that have the mechs be relatively small? Code Geass Knightmares or smaller, generally. Roughly the size of the smaller mechs in the Titanfall video games.

Bonus for politics and HORRORS OF WAR mixed in with the WOW COOL ROBOT parts. Ideally should have both HORRORS OF WAR moments as well as WOW COOL ROBOT, but the important thing here is small bots. Tall as a house.

Comedy option: read Gantz manga because it goes Kafka-barfing-absinthe-in-your-hair insane around the time powerarmor/mecha show up.

Fair warning though: the author is relentlessly horny, which can be hilarious and/or offputting in juxtaposition with all the violence and horror ('of war' and otherwise) so your mileage may vary.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

The Islamic Shock posted:

The absolute worst harem anime that has a harem ending please.

Aside from School Days (which is mandatory if you haven't seen it) I can't help much, but you could narrow down the search by clarifying what sort of 'worst' you're after. Like do you want [so bad it's good] dumb/raunchy/crass fun or do you want to torture yourself and/or your "friend(s)" with a [garbage fire known to the state of california to cause cancer] or whatnot?

Also gonna suspect that answers may vary depending on how far you're willing to delve into the Cringerrific Isekai WeebTrash abyss.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Considering the avalanche of high school setting shows I'm curious if theres any notable anime or manga out there that are set in high schools but are also set outside of Japan. It would either be neat to see their take on public education in other countries or it could be really really funny seeing every school primmed up like a private catholic boarding school.

The only thing I can really remember about Red Garden was the show being set in New York, but the cast somehow teleported to Japan every time they went to school :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

It's been a bit but my memory of trigun fits this very well

Also hellsing ultimate though alucard kinda steps off the stage for the middle third of the story or so

Kinda spoilers for Trigun but it might not exactly qualify: protagonist is a living WMD but his naive "must not kill under any circumstances, no matter how many times the cartoonishly-evil villain taunts you by saying he's just gonna resume murdering innocents if you let him go, and then proceeds to do exactly that" shtick is unsurprisingly based on psychological trauma

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

yea right nobody ever chooses to ignore taboos to obtain contraband, and it is in fact physically impossible to commit crimes.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

jizzy sillage posted:

My girlfriend really likes anime that is 'weirdly' high stakes - things like Food Wars, where it's 'just cooking' but everything about it is super intense and over the top. Any recommendations for other things like this? She liked:

Food Wars
My Hero Academia
The start of Beastars (but then it started feeling very fetish-y)
Spy x Family (but it's a little slow paced)

what does she think about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure? I haven't seen the anime but from what I've read of the manga, the chapter where this gif happened seems to be about where the tone shifted noticeably, as if the writer decided ["ehh we've done a season of Excessively Dramatic Martial Arts but that's gonna get old fast so now everyone gets goofy and impractical ki-magic bullshit powers and has a boss-rush fight against the dumbest supervillains ever imagined, because why not."]

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Toshimo posted:

Inu Yasha
El Hazard
Escaflowne
Now and Then, Here and There

Those Who Hunt Elves :v:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, what happened? That's always been a respected cult-classic series.

If I remember correctly the thread title refers to a time a few years back when a few posters made a running gag of recommending LOGH regardless of what the was actually asked for. After that got run into the ground, it became rather gauche to recommend unless someone specifically asked for a long-running space opera series?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

grate deceiver posted:

wanna meet those 50yo moms that watch big robot amine

tagline for the most weirdly-specific dating site ever

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Endorph posted:

shoujo just means 'manga for girls,' the same way shonen means 'manga for girls,'

:hmmyes:

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

kater posted:

What the poo poo.

turns out there are a lot of ways to say "worthless mediocre trash" and even more ways to emphasize the lack of any redeeming qualities that might elevate it to "so bad it's good trash"

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

redreader posted:

I didn't see a general manga thread so I'm asking here, hope that's ok. Read and loved:

-jojo (just watched the show then finished steel ball run and jojolion)
-berserk up to the recent volume
-hxh up to the end of the chimera ants, then watched the anime of the next arc.
-blame
-i enjoyed gantz when I read it about 20 years ago but it's sort of a bit cringe now to come to think of it.

Did not like (I'm so sorry):
-one piece: hated the art, the story was ok. Got to the wierd island, which iirc had fish people.
-naruto. Read up to about 3 volumes from the end, couldn't finish it. Bad.

I read stuff on mangadex and want to read preferably FINISHED stories, or stories that are proceeding at a good pace. I remember an old rec for assassination classroom, I might give that a go.

If you liked Blame, have you tried Tsutomu Nihei's other work? To a varying extent his mangs generally feature a lot of surreal biomechanical abominations and nonsensical pseudoscience explanations, with the occasional "nanomachines i guess?" as an excuse to draw Really Weird poo poo happening.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Cock and Balzac posted:

Could I get some Texhnolyze opinions?

Probably a decade ago I bounced off of the first episode. I seem to remember it being slow, light on dialogue, and generally not super clear about what was going on. Does it pick up much from there?

I'm intrigued by it, but also a little wary. The comparison I've heard most often is to Serial Experiments Lain, another show I haven't had any success getting into.

I would say it eventually gets coherent, but yeah it's intentionally difficult to follow because everything is presented in media res, without any narrated recap to explain what's going on. But the setting is self-consistent and eventually you get enough details to make sense of things.

One thing that might help is to know that it's a very-low-fantasy setting, but especially the beginning where things get surreal you could be misled into thinking there's a bunch of magical bullshit going on but nope it's all mundane reality viewed through a weirdness filter that's symbolic of drama/emotions/etc.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

one post about Eden I think sums it up best without spoilers is this one from years back:

it has some great designs and ideas, but falls flat with the storytelling, multiple character arcs, and has some dramatic moments that fail spectacularly. it's got some neat bits in it, sure. there's a man who has implanted his brain into a cyborg dog body which he's modified to be an efficient killing machine to defend himself with and that's cool! it also has a female character who has a pretty happy ending who breaks away from the depressing main story, only for her to be brought back later for the sole reason to be graphically, horribly murdered along with her husband. there's no other point to it, like the author realized they had done something unambiguously happy for one of their characters and brutally snuffed them out to fix that mistake. it's extremely predictable that you can literally tell which characters will die because they are currently happy with life. very not cool!

I would highly recommend against reading it, because while it does have some good stuff especially earlier on, by the end you will only be disappointed and regret the wasted potential.

If you actually like reading trash though it's at least entertainingly bad, like how after spending like 80% of the series on misery porn and revenge plots... in the final 2~3 books the author forgets all the drama and character building and abandons the main character in a Big Twist where suddenly it's a cosmic horror story so the stakes randomly escalate from ["mafia infighting with guns and knives, everyone loses"] to ["the weird monster thing just shot down nuclear missiles with Space Magic, guess humanity is hosed?"] before a completely baffling phoned-in deus ex machina ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

the only thing i remember about Desert Punk are the wacky inflatable tube breasts

unless you turned it off partway through episode 1 due to aforementioned egregious fanservice, it's difficult to believe anyone could really forget the series' horrible unlikable rear end in a top hat gremlin of a protagonist