Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai?

Good show, but it has a high school setting, so it might not be a perfect fit for the request.

Similarly, Chainsaw Man has a similar vibe to Dorohedoro, but it is in Shonen Jump, and even if it does unconventional things with its big villains, it still has major villains to worry about. (Also, you know. Lots of death.) It does have relatively simple fight mechanics and lovable idiot characters, though, so... maybe.

Patlabor? It's a comedy about police mechs in Japan. The films are more in-depth, but the show is lighter in tone, and generally pretty easygoing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ThePopeOfFun posted:

I missed the recommendation sticky somehow. I’m looking for martial arts tournament style shows. I really liked how Baki turned up the tropes to 11. Baki Hanma was pretty bad. Kengan Ashura was great, but the racist stereotypes were a shame. Ideally, no underage characters will beg for sex from the adult protagonist in this hypothetical recommendation.

So yeah. MA tournament anime.

You ever seen G-Gundam?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

POLICE CAR AUCTION posted:

Looking for some weird, offbeat comedy

Shows I loved: Chio's School Road, Asobi Asobase, Hinamatsuri

Hmm...

If fantasy is alright, you might like Konosuba.

For some other possible candidates, Tonegawa Middle Management Blues is a spin-off from Kaiji about the middle management of a company that has a sideline in elaborate supervillainy. There's three seasons of Osomatsu San, which might be your speed. Space Patrol Luluco is really short and a bit action-y, but fun. Oh Maidens in your Savage Season is probably a better fit early than late (when it gets more melodramatic), but it had one of the funniest gags I've seen anyway. And then there's Monthly Girl’s Nozaki Kun.

Any of those sound interesting?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Disco Godfather posted:

Is there an anime about weed?

Well, it's not an anime, but "Fourteen" has the most accurate portrayal of marijuana ever put to page in manga. Then again, that's hardly a surprise considering its unflinching attention to detail and admirable commitment to realism.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nrook posted:

I realized I’m only following one 4koma (Monthly Girls’ Nozaki) right now. All the other ones I liked ended. What are some good 4-panel comedy manga running at the moment?

The Kaguya spin-off "We Want to Talk About Kaguya" might be of interest, if you like the main series.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Quotey posted:

What’s the Gundam series with the highest volume of cool robot battles? Want to watch one with a friend.

If you're looking for stylish fights per minute, you're probably best off with Thunderbolt: December Sky. About an hour long, and most of it is combat of one kind or another. Not really even fights until near the end, if you care about that part, but it's gorgeous and has a lot of smooth jazz to underscore the brutal violence. Not my favorite, but it might hit the spot.

On the opposite end of things, there's the first Build Fighters. Kids playing with toys instead of real robofights, but there's a lot of stylish throwdowns.

Iron Blooded Orphans has some of my favorite fights, but it's a poor fit for high volume of combat. You tend to only get a fight every other episode on the high end. It adds more emotional weight, and there's very little stock footage, but it means going through episodes about farming and mob politics first. (Although there are a couple episodes that are almost pure combat.)

Oh, maybe 0083: Stardust Memory? I haven't seen it in full, so I can't testify to much beyond "the plot is dumb" and "the fights are gorgeous", but the fights are gorgeous.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PRADA SLUT posted:

Need a manga recommendation.

Some type of drama / romance / surrealism / weirdness, similar to Aku no Hana, Loneliness, Goodnight Punpun,

To a lesser extent, the emotional range of Scum's Wish.

You read any Tatsuki Fujimoto?

His newest one-shot, "Goodbye Eri" might be up your street.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Kentaro urashima.

G gundam is barely mecha.

Kazuya Kinoshita.

And G Gundam is very much mecha. It has giant robots as the primary method of problem solving. It's just that the giant robots can also do kung fu, just like their pilots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Thanks for the rec! I'm checking it out now. The first couple eps are slow-ish but I'm on episode 4 now and getting into it.

I'm down to check out whatever's out there. I guess what I'm specifically going for is a character knowingly and specifically looking for empty sex and trying to keep it from getting any deeper. Nana seems like it might hit close-ish to that, but I'm still open to any other recommendations :)

e: Great Pretender sounds interesting. What's the name of the character?

Norba Shino in Iron Blooded Orphans spends most of the series spending his paychecks on empty sex, if you're looking for more example. Flirts tend to be common in anime, mech or otherwise, but actually sealing the deal is less common in non-giant-robot stuff.

Edit: Just remembered Lupin III, from the long running series of the same name. Both he and his primary love interest, Fujiko Mine, go in for a lot of sex with other people because, hey, they like sex.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

This might be a bit too loose of an ask but here goes:

I'm thinking of subbing to hidive because funimation is going/gone and I'm just not spending enough money on anime streaming with just crunchyroll, apparently. I've skimmed the catalog and I'm looking at rewatching some classic stuff I've already seen like
- wings of honneamise
- classic logh
- big o
- patlabor

I'm also looking at some classic stuff I've heard of but have never seen like
- space runaway ideon
- space adventure cobra
- votoms

and some more recent shows I've seen mentioned around here like
- revue starlight
- bloom into you (read maybe 5 chapters of this and liked it)
- lupin pt 6 (okay I haven't really seen anyone talking about this but I like lupin)
- o maidens in your savage season

Anything else on hidive I should check out? My interests are pretty broad (dunno if this list shows that or not). I just like anime.

I've actually talked some about Lupin Part 6, because it sucks. (And I can talk more about it sucking if anyone asks.) For this season Hi Dive has "It's Ya Boy, Konming!", which is worth checking out. They also have the movie version of Gunbuster, which is sadly the only version of the series for legal streaming. Not as good as the full thing, but better than nothing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleng Teng posted:

that's a shame about lupin (I'll probably watch an ep or 3 anyway just to know). and kongming sounds great, I'll probably check it out when it's done

Lupin's a mix of standalone episodes and arcs, so there's some worth checking out. The Oshii episodes are weird in a fun way, so I'd recommend them if you like his style, and some of the standalones in the second half were alright. The main plots, though, are bad.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Yo I'm on the search for mecha animes with a medieval/sorta low-tech setting. Something in the lane of Broken Blade, Knights & Magic, or War on Geminar. Would be cool if anyone itt has something :cheers:

Escaflowne is generally well regarded, for another one, and there's Panzer World Galient for another 80s show if you finish Dunbine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, if you like 86, there's a chance you'll like Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron Blooded Orphans. It's got less combat against mad AIs and more human on human violence, with Mikazuki being even less well adjusted than Shin, but there's a lot of common ground, and the author's notes suggest that it was something that the writer of 86 had as an inspiration when writing.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Lol oh wow that's pretty bad if that's what they decided to show off for their OP animation.

Onwards.

Are there any non gundam shows that match the sense of scale that the original show has? Among Gundam itself 0079 is still the only show (not counting the 90s UC ovas) where it intentionally feels like we're following one small but crucial part of a larger conflict. Other shows going forward all feel like every action of the war hinges on what the main cast is doing right now, so the wars end up feeling more tunnel vision-y. There's still some pretty large battles across these shows, but they don't invoke the same sense as the OYW stuff where there's always the hint of "yeah this is a big fight, but the wider conflict is even larger" vibes whenever stuff goes down.

I know legend of the galactic heroes does macro scale combat really well but I'm wondering what other shows are out there that invoke that same feeling of being part of a larger fight.

The first season of 86 has a bit of that. Spearhead gets the most dangerous missions, but they're just one cog in a larger war machine in one front of a much wider war. Of course, the wider stuff only comes up in season 2, when they're more central. For OVAs, there's Mellowlink, the VOTOMs spin-off all about one soldier's revenge quest in the shadow of the larger conflict, and maybe Power Dolls, two one shot OVAs that are vaguely part of a war that only gets covered in the games.

Of course, the best example of that I can think of is from novels, not anime. In the 40K "Gaunt's Ghosts" books, there's always an intro talking about the wider war. The general assessment is almost always about Warmaster Macaroth and his daring, risky strategies that decide the fate of billions in one nailbiting engagement. The protagonists, if they get mentioned at all, are just tossed in alongside the 10th Mardine Dog-kickers and the 18th Cadian Expendables as one of the contributing forces. And even the war as a whole is just for one cluster of worlds that most of the wider galaxy will never care about.

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 17, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

jizzy sillage posted:

Thanks, we'll give those a shot. I'm also gonna try make her watch a couple episodes of a bunch of other stuff like Baccano, Death Note, Code Geass, Love is War, Dr. Stone, etc. etc.

Love is War sounds like a great pick. Kaguya and Shirogane take their battles of wits far too seriously.

Maybe "Tonegawa: Middle Management Blues"?

It's a Kaiji spinoff about the middle management in an evil megacorp that runs high stakes death games. A lot of people take things very seriously that seem irrelevant, and treat things casually that actually are matters of life and death.

(Of course, it's funnier if you've seen Kaiji, which is a gambling anime, but that tends to actually have stakes for when people obsess over gambling games.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Azran posted:

I'm once again asking for recommendations for my mom :v: She absolutely loves shows where they teach you about stuff - like the camping tips from Yuru Camp, or the in-depth explanation of paper-making in Ascendance of a Bookworm. I know this is kind of a very broad category but if you can think of any great examples of this, I'm all ears.

Stuff she's seen that fits this category for her:
- Yowamushi Pedal
- Amanchu
- Barakamon
- Super Cub
- March comes in like lion
- Keep your hands off Eizouken

Shirobako might be good as a "professional" compliment to Eizouken. Maybe "A Place Further than the Universe"?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Malsangoroth posted:

And I can't not mention the original (and only!) FLCL, which lives and dies on its soundtrack.

And now I will speak of things that should not be spoken, because Prog has the oddest screwups in the soundtrack. It keeps the Pillows, and it uses them well in theory, with good track picks that fit the scenes... but the sound mixing is terrible. Just shockingly bad. I thought the show overall had some virtues, but that sound mixing... no defending it in general. It's just bad. (Ironically, that worked for one scene's benefit... but that's a long, long tangent.)

As for good soundtracks, the limited use of the soundtrack in Gridman helped highlight the gap between the superheroic world of Gridman and Kaiju going against people's daily lives, with "Human Love" playing in a wide variety of forms. I also loved Iron Blooded Orphans's soundtrack.

For upcoming stuff, if the Automata anime matches the game it's going to be absurdly good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jose posted:

I watched all of ajin on Netflix I think but unless I was very drunk (possible) it never actually had a proper ending. Is that due to the manga not being finished, me being drunk or it being cancelled

The manga wasn't finished at the time of the anime, so yeah. That's your answer. (Manga finally finished after nine years in 2021)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Islamic Shock posted:

I have an idea for an anime that, given all the animes in existence, I would be surprised doesn't exist. A hero that's summoned to another world/the same world in the future, who is destined to defeat the Demon Lord/whatever, just generally sucks at everything, and has his exceptionally lovely incompetence overwritten by his even more exceptionally awesome luck, to the extent that he wins at everything. Being a male not required at all. Not Konosuba, because Kazuma occasionally is useful. Is there such a thing?

Sounds a little like the Irresponsible Captain Tylor, which is about the biggest dumbass in the future space navy getting assigned to the flagship of the fleet and luckshitting his way to victory, much to everyone's confusion.

Of course, the show thrives on the ambiguity over if he's that stupid and lucky, or if he's a genius pretending to be an idiot to throw everyone off guard.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mr Interweb posted:

got somewhat of a weird request. can i get some recs on an anime/manga that's 1) long 2) currently running? preferably something shonen related, but not required.

Anything more specific? There's obviously One Piece and Ippo, and there's another part of Jojo upcoming, but I can't imagine you haven't heard of those already.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

How about some recs for shows set in the real world but outside of Japan? I tried Great Pretender but I'm not really a fan of con job stories where they explain poo poo afterwards with a series of arbitrary asspulls. SpyXFamily is good but it's more about emulating the feel of a cold war European city than anything specifically real world. I want to see shows set in verifiable real world places and see how Japan represents them, be they accurate depictions or Mad Bull 34 insanity depictions. Maybe Yuri On Ice might fit the bill?

Well, Baccano is a classic if you haven't seen it. Great dub, too. Similarly, Lupin part IV, V, and VI are pretty globetrotting, with focuses on Italy, France, and the UK, respectively. They all have some of that con stuff, though, so it might not be a perfect fit.

Gunsmith Cats is an old OVA set in Chicago about lady bounty hunters, so that might be a fit if you like that kind of thing. Oh, and Area 88 is set in a fictional country, but it's sort-of trying to be set in the real world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

That Works posted:

Vinland Saga for set outside of Japan. Viking era stuff, new season coming.

I guess Planetes as well except for a few eps but it's mostly in earth orbit in a near future setting.

The manga also has some scenes in Florida, with Fee and her family.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

Some companies are taking steps to change their working conditions, and thats probably the level it will stay at without government funding for more protections for workers or smth. And lol at that.

And Mappa is one of those companies, or at least they claimed to be trying for it. They built a new facility for Chainsaw Man to make shifts at the office less painful, and they upped the salaries for their full time employees to be enough to live on, which doesn't sound like an improvement until you see what standard salaries are like for starting animators.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

theres some issues with the graphic, like not accounting for various other production roles like key animator, character designer, screenwriter, and the framing of it does kinda make it seem like VAs are raking in the big bucks when the real people making money are the execs at the top of the production committees (different from the executive producer, whos more like an inbetween between the animation company and the production committees), but it's pretty accurate in terms of numbers if you account for inflation.

big name directors or screenwriters can also demand way more in terms of pay, like your urobuchi's or whoever.

Japan also has pretty low inflation, so the numbers in a chart like this aren't as out of date as they would be for most countries.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Defenestrategy posted:

Looking for an isekai anime that does interesting things with the genre besides OP nerd gets harem because they the bestest op fightmans and everyone loves them ezcept for the baddies. Preferably a dub, double points if the crux of the story is something with a horror bent to it.

Already watched Im a spider, Overlord, and currently watching realistic hero.
The main horror in Konosuba is that the goddess overseeing reincarnation is a total idiot, but the show is a good time, and it has a dub.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

I just call that stuff Ultra violent.

A bit of the old ultraviolence, proper horrorshow? The kind with gulliwats razrez by the rookerfull?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Any good series about people who are married or already in longterm relationships? I absently came across a few videos of I Can't Understand Whst My Husband is Saying and I thought it was cute and refreshing. I am so sick to death of teenagers on the cusp of starting relationships since Kaguya Sama has essentially been the anime equivalent of Airplane! and flattened the competition.

Adult relationships preferred with a focus on married life or cohabitation. The next steps after you get your happy ever after MC and best girl make-it-official story. They've come of age and now they have to live like it.

Weirdly, the first thing that comes to mind is Astro Fighter Sunred. It's not primarily about that, of course, but Sunred and his girlfriend Kayako have been living together for some time, and their relationship is pretty established, with humor coming more from how familiar they are with each other than for any bits about starting to go out.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Endorph posted:

samurai champloo is by the same director as cowboy bebop and has a lot of stylistic similarities

Meanwhile, Vinland Saga is based off a manga by the same writer as Planetes. Vikings, revenge, King Arthur... it has it all.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

For an oddball pick, maybe Orgus II? It has some heavier references to the original in the last couple episodes, but the main characters are all new and the plot is mostly self-contained.

Beyond that, for possible picks nobody seems to have mentioned yet...

FLCL
Mazinkaizer SKL
Oh Maidens in your Savage Season
Macross Plus
Armored Hunter Mellowlink (only light ties to VOTOMS, should be fine)
Vivy: Fluorite’s Eye Song
One Punch Man season 1
Rascal does not dream of Bunnygirl Senpai
Sword Art Online Alternative: Gun Gale Online
Hinamatsuri (Although the manga is better and goes much further).
Hisone and Masotan
Wave: Listen to Me

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

looking for an anime that's on the short side (12 episodes or less preferred, 16 episodes is probably fine as a max), action-y or otherwise visually interesting, and not terribly heavy. movies would be a good or possibly even preferred option too, promare has been given as an ideal example

The initial Patlabor OVAs? Nobody dies, you get a fun cast of weirdoes, and good mech action. Sure, there's more stuff later, but you can just watch the initial OVAs and get plenty.

FLCL is another obvious one, as are Gunbuster and Diebuster. Luluco's pretty short too...

Really, it's a pretty broad setup. Anything more you can say about options to eliminate?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

i'm honestly just looking for a shotgun of options, a friend in my weekly anime watching group is going through some super rough stuff atm so i'm just looking for an easy watch but i personally am blanking on options, i have never kept a MAL or similar and i am regretting it now

Right. Well, some more light and quick options that are at least somewhat entertaining, although you've probably seen some of them already:

Mazinkaizer SKL
Gundam Breaker Battlogue
Dominion Tank Police (Just the first six. New Dominion isn't on par.)
One Punch Man
Konosuba (there's 20 episodes, two ovas, and a movie, but just season 1 should be fine)
Little Witch Academia (first short, show runs a bit long)
Hinamatsuri
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou: Quiet Country Cafe
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken
Astro Fighter Sunred (52 episodes over 2 seasons, but they're just 15 minutes per, so season 1 should be fine in the available time)
Crusher Joe (Not Yas's best work, but it has its moments)
Lupin III: Castle of Calistrogo
The Night is Short, Walk on Girl

Any of those sound like they might work?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Yo this was great, if I wanna watch more lupin III where should I go from here?

Well, it depends what you're looking for. There's part 1 and part 2 if you want more Miyazaki Lupin, but they're pretty old and part 2 is utterly massive, which can be intimidating. Similarly, there tends to be a movie or two every year, although they're of very mixed quality.

For stuff I've had firsthand experience with, I watched through all of Part V, Part VI, and The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, which all have their own spins.

Fujiko focuses on Fujiko (unsurprising) and is a more adult series than standard Lupin. Written by Mari Okada, it's heavy on sex and violence, with a series-spanning main plot. Really unique look and style, which was carried into followup movies focusing on various characters.

Part V was great. It's kind of primer and love letter to all of Lupin, alternating between one-shots focusing on every era and multi-episode plots examining Lupin in a modern context, from him fighting Facebook to consideration of his relationship with Fujiko as they foil a CIA plot. Again, there's sexual content that may be an issue, depending what you're comfortable with, but there some really fun character dynamics and neat guest episodes. (Like an episode by the writer of Kino's Journey.)

Part VI... sucked. Some good one shots, but it was a major disappointment after Part V's highs with awful longer running plots.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I recommend Gunbuster, just because it's quick. 6 episodes and out, by the director of Evangelion.

Diebuster is by the director of FLCL, and since you were eh on that, I'm not sure you'd enjoy it much.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fujiko also gets a lot of good stuff in Part V, which starts with her and Lupin very much on the outs. Her relationship with Lupin gets multiple focus episodes, even.

She doesn't get quite as bad a run in 6 as Zenigata does, but that season is a massive step down for her.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

Avatar, The Dragon Prince, The Witcher, How to train your dragon series, The OA, Black Sails, The Mandalorian, Stranger Things to name a few.

What I'm looking for most is heroes journey type stuff. You know where someone (kid adult whoever idgaf) grows as a person while travelling and collecting friends along the way.

Well, you might like Chainsaw Man, which starts in October. It's about a teenage orphan who grew up in poverty, and how he learns to live in society when he finally escapes his hometown and his father's debt.

He meets a lot of people, learns about life and love, and establishes new goals. It's really good, probably going to be one of the big hits, especially since the manga is already a bestseller.

Admittedly, his initial goal is touching boobs, and most of his friends die horribly, but it still seems like it might be what you want.

For stuff that's already out, Mob Psycho 100 is about a teenager with psychic powers and his growing up while working for a fraud exorcist, 86 is basically a well done YA novel where a young major tries to help the troops under her command (including a emotionally distant but still caring ace pilot who she quickly falls for. As I said, YA.) fight against her society's prejudice and the endless armies of zombie robots swarming over the world, Gridman and its sequel Dynazenon are the most naturalistic stories you'll find about kaiju fighting giant robots, Baccano is a jazzy (and not-entirely linear) story about prohibition era gangsters, thieves with hearts of gold, a train, and immortal alchemists, Future Boy Conan is an old-school adventure set in a series of post-apocalyptic islands, Gun Gale Online is about a socially isolated college student learning to make friends by playing a vicious PVP MMO, Hisone and Masotan is about an overly honest JSDF pilot candidate who's recruited to fly a dragon, and Mobile Suit Gundam, Iron Blooded Orphans is about a unit of child soldiers in a PMC who have to escort a diplomat to Earth from Mars so she can advocate for their homeworld.

Any of those sound like they could be interesting?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

as another rec ask mentioning ghost in teh shell, i watched that movie with my dad the other week and he really enjoyed it. mostly the philosophical stuff about the nature of life and existence, the scifi aesthetics and everything he seems to just like not love. anyone have any recs for other anime movies that have a similarly plainly-philosophical bent to them?

I can't judge how philosophical is philosophical here without knowing more, but maybe Jin Roh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Have you tried Edgerunners yet or Carole and Tuesday? Watanabe did C&T so it shares DNA with Champloo.

Yeah, Edgerunners does feel like a callback to an earlier era. It's good, but does go more towards old OVAs than Bebop.

For another Watanabe, there's Macross Plus, one of the two big Top Gun inspired mech OVAs. Three college friends are torn apart by an incident initially left unexplained, only to reunite years later when the two guys, Guld Goa Bowman and Isamu Dyson (voiced in the dub by Bryan Cranston) wind up competing as test pilots in a head-to-head trial for cutting edge Variable Fighters while the woman, Myung Fang Lone, plays manager to the first virtual idol, Sharon Apple. Things get messier from there.

Might also recommend Big O, if you don't mind philosophical and weird with your robots.

For a slightly more left field pull... Tatami Galaxy? Fast paced, witty, and very creative, it's about a college student's attempts to have the perfect campus life, hindered by his own indecisiveness and his "best friend" Ozu, a notorious troublemaker who seems to have made it his mission in life to ensure the protagonist never has anything go smooth.

Got a pretty big list ready, and if you have anything more specific you'd like, I'd love to see if I've seen anything in the right line, but those should be a decent start, assuming you don't have trouble tracking them down.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

What about Ashita No Joe? No-one seems to have mentioned it, and it's one of the greatest manga written, adapted into some legendary anime.

I know it's likely everyone involved has seen it already, but it's worth a look.

(I'd also suggest Look Back and Goodbye Eri for two good one-shots about the creative impulse and the effort involved in making art, but they're both popular enough to have already been seen and not exactly what's asked for besides.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Monolith. posted:

Y'all, I need some space shows. Zeta Gundam was my jam, Planetes was ok but I ended up only watching a few episodes, and I really don't know any other space anime. More Gundam would be cool but it doesn't have to be big robots in space hitting each other. Anything would be welcome.

Cowboy Bebop is about space bounty hunters if you've somehow never seen that. I also second the recs for Gunbuster, Diebuster, and IBO for mech stuff with a lot of space fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Uh, what happened? That's always been a respected cult-classic series.

It's respected, but the thread title is a threat to strangle anyone who recommends LOGH because it's been done so often.

Beyond that, there's Space Patrol Luluco if you're in a hurry. Pure Trigger crazy with an incredibly short runtime. 12 eight-ish minute episodes, including crossovers, young love, insane violence, and CHIEF OVER-JUSTICE, the skeleton who loves JUSTICE more than anyone else in the universe.

There's also Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamis for a movie about an alternate universe space program, although it get pretty heavy in ways that sometimes need a warning, Voices from a Distant Star if you want to see what Shinkai did before Your Name (it's pretty much a solo piece), and Freedom if you want something set on the Moon with frequent cup noodle product placement.